Saturday 12th January 2013

There's a stranger in my bed, there's a pounding in my head

Chickadee - I managed it once, but funnily enough that doesn't give me huge confidence that I can do it again! My first marathon took me over 4.40 (in 2004) so I guess I should be happy with the improvement!

what: 80mins easy
why: getting the miles in - but being a bit cautious ahead of tomorrow's long run. was good today though. 

Comments

• Morning.

You're a machine M!

I'm not good at tapering. I know I benefit from quite a severe taper but I find it hard not to do too much, so today would have been a bike but it's freezing out so that puts me on the turbo but to do what? An hour in Z2 or a threshold/interval session? I have the duration of the weekly grocery shop to decide.

What:             an hour on the bike
    Why:              see above
    Last hard:      last year
    Last rest:       7/1

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

good running M

easy parkrun in a bit, then Hants XC league later (in Dorset) later...

Just got numbers through for Stubbington 10k.... I get Dear Runner and a blue number, Jnr gets a yellow number, opens the letter and it says Dear ELITE Runner.... says it all really!!!!!!!!

Have a good day all

• Morning

Dry and cold up here today.

Yesterdays lyrics:'Run to the hills.' by Iron Maiden. There is a thread on Arthurs Seat running in Edinburgh over in General and for some reason I always associate Arthurs Seat with 'Run to the hills'.

M: Good running

RFJ: Have a good run in Hants XC.

LMUH: Enjoy the bike

Lyrics: Nope.

• ale:  S T R E T C H !

• It may be cold but it's too nice a day to be stuck inside so I'm going to wrap up and get out on the bike for an hour.

Have a good race RFJ.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Parkrun done, it is truely disgusting out there.... bitter east wind, driving rain, and the parkrun was a quagmire plus some.... glad I was only taking it easy (and that seemed hardwork just trying to stand up....)

Ale - Yeap Stretch it.....image

• Morning!

I've been stretching and flexing. Quite nice here: a hint of sun, dry, cold, not much wind. A walk beckons!

Enjoy Dorset, RFJ.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It was much windier out than I expected and the coldest I'd ridden in for a while, quite pleased to be only doing an hour!

• Afternoon!
    What: parkrun
    Why: Missed it last week (on my birthday!) due to birthday celebrations....
    Times not out yet but I definitely got a PB for Brockwell and am edging closer to my Richmond PB. Decided I'll volunteer once I beat it! ALMOST forgot my barcode too. Well, I did but remembered I put a spare under the sole in my shoe thankfully!
    Lyrics: No.

• S     T     R     E    T      C                                        H

Lyrics: I do know these, it's just that I can't quite nail the tune at the moment.

Like LMH, I am in taper mode, but not as you'd recognise it. My planned easy 10 miler for yesterday turned into a very easy glass of wine.
    My planned easy bike ride with Group 3, found me setting off late, for reasons best not explained on the webimage and trying to chase down the slower riders. I knew that the fallback was the coffee stop at 20 miles. Well, I had a very nice coffee stop, we never met up, and then I battled home again. 45 miles with quite a lot of them at charging pace. I now feel pleasantly exercised and glowing.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

afternoon all, 
    M, 80 minutes the day before a long run? Well done for geting the miles in, not sure I'd manage to do that!
    Blisters - nice work on the wheels, and I like your idea of an easy 10 miler...

It is foul out there, and bizarrely has got colder than before daybreak...Youngest had swim training 6:30am - 8:30 , so I did 1hr50 steady. It was +6c when I started just before half past, was +4c 2 hours later...then took girls to Hampshire league at   Bournemouth, which was a quagmire...didn't see RFJ and after this morning didn't opt to run. Was +3c driving home his afternoon. 
    Oh and apparently Bournemouth used to be in Hampshire, and the hampshire league not limited to Hampshire (no, me neither). Reading (berkshire) and Camberley (Surrey) also running today!

lyric - yes indeed, slightly ashamed to admit that this is on my ipod treadmill playlist.... 

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Quiet on here today.

Good parkrun GGG and well done for RFJ for staying upright!
    LMH  well done for braving the cold, not always easy to motivate yourself when it's like that.

What: 8 miles in -3C then 2 hours sleep...
    Why: was meant to do a bit further, but the route got me home a bit short
    Last hard: the end of that, ran out of energy!

Achilies fine when running.  Some stiffness now, but reckon it's due to sleeping instead of stretching, naughty me.

Have a good one all.

• What: swim (well really just a play in the swell for 15 min) followed by 14 miles, undulating with strong SSE (20 gusting 30kts). First half was into the wind so not so bad on return leg.
    Why: Heavy rain in Kirkwall but west coast was intended destination
    (stayed dry image - well after swim that is image )
    Last Hard: today
    Last Rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: sound vaguely familiar

Not too cold here (5°C) compared with rest of country

Blisters - living up to your name?
    Like the "easy 10 miler"

Well done on getting out for parkruns in the inclement weather GGG RFJ
    Steady running M.
    LM.H Still better to get out than stuck inside on the turboimage

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Not sure of the lyrics today.

3 mile XC warm up then 4 x 0.22 mile on grass in 70s with a similar recovery.  Felt quite good to be moving fastish again.  Warm down made it about 5 miles all in.

• Just been on Google. Never heard this track before, my 12 year old is into this sort of stuff, I switch off. My 16 year old likes the sort of music played at festivals.

• OH - it was better out than in but somewhat colder than your 5C - and that was without factoring in the wind chill! A nice long run there - are you x-countrying tomorrow?

Some solid training from you lately too Dustin.

emzap - stretch and massage!

Alehouse - stretch!

Blisters - so it's a short taper for you then?

GGG - nice to see progress like that.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Emzap....  I blame you..... stayed upright this morning.... but not at Bournemouth...

111th at XC, 5.82m (6:51, 6:46, 7:06, 7:13, 7:14, 5:37,), got spiked at end of 1st lap (by myself above the knee... as I stacked it completly on a 180 turn... down and up in one movement, problem was as I slid my right leg came up and stabbed me above the inside of the left knee)....!! But best postion of the season so far. As Dustin said it was a quagmire and hard work, esp when te rain came down on the 2nd out of 4 laps.... and just got harder and harder....

12.45m for the day....