Heal Pain

Currently run 20 miles a week (about 4 runs on average)

Overpronator with Mizuno shoes.

I have developed a sprain like pain on the left side of my heal - about the size of a £2 coin. I have tried to run through it but a few hours after a run it is so painful I end up limping. I have tried resting for 3-4 days but it comes back when I start running again.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

many thanks

Ian image

Comments

• Do a search for heel pain on NHS direct and you find the following:-

Heel pain is a common foot condition. It is usually felt as an intense pain when using the affected heel.

Heel pain usually builds up gradually and gets worse over time. The pain is often severe and occurs when you place weight on the heel.

In most cases, only one heel is affected, although estimates suggest around a third of people have pain in both heels.

The pain is usually worse first thing in the morning, or when you first take a step after a period of inactivity. After walking, the pain usually improves but often gets worse again after walking or standing for a long time.

Some people may limp or develop an abnormal walking style as they try to avoid placing weight on the affected heel.

Most cases of heel pain are caused when a band of tissue in the foot, known as the plantar fascia, becomes damage and thickened.

Plantar fasciitis is the medical term for the thickening of the plantar fascia.