Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• i don't use fins as i have had achillies problems in the past ..and i don't use hand paddles as i have shoulder issues.........and don't use kick borads as i can't kick..........

so i'm left with zombie swimming image

• Obviously you're not all out there following fink to the letter. Makes me feel betterimage perhaps I won't bother then. Would have to write it all down and leave at the end of the pool for reference anyway

Long bike tomorrow. Does anybody use a mountain bike for their rides if there's a possibility of ice although tomorrow looks like it could be good.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Just looked im my swimsmooth book cos it was handy and they recomend fins that are slightly longer than the shorter 'zoomer' style whatever that means. when I got mine I just chose a pair with lots of good ratings from Wiggle.

but as you deduced I'm not following Fink to the letter as regards swimming but intend to at least get in the same time as he recomends.

hoping weathers ok to get out on bike tomorrow, else its a long turbo session for me.

• SS, I'm following the fink swim schedule but have been doing the drills without fins. They still seem to work.
  • I'm with Seren in that I don't use fins or paddles due to injuries, but there are lots of drills to do without them. I am finding it's taking me 1.5 hours to get through those sessions though...

• Long bike today with friends. they're getting over flu so was very steady. zone 1.4 average. Spen the last 10 miles in small ring trying to keep cadence and heart rate up. Was supposed to be going to Cannock chase tomorrow but they've had to pull out due to family illness image

I guess I'll do long run and maybe Macc forest trails, depends if we get snow overnight

• Like most things there is no one right way to train.....as long as you are getting some time in the pool swimming then i wouldn't worry......

if you have any spare time and energy I would use it on the bike......unless you come from a cycling background its the bike that is the killer..more hours in the saddle will help.honest........

talking of which I'm getting my bike outr ready for another ride.going to try it with a club so that it compliments my mid week bike on my own

• @Pixie, on my last HIM I pulled some bike shorts over the top of my tri-suit in T1 and then whipped them off in T2 for the run. Anything that could increase comfort over 112 miles has got to be a bonus. 

• I think you can do either. Or alternatively can't you actually chane into proper shorts?

When I did my one and only half I put some bike shorts over my tri shorts as I hadn't had enough time to get used to them
  • I bought some tri shorts a couple of months ago and have used them exclusively ever since (for swimming as well as cycling). I actually find them more comfy than my single pair of bike shorts and they were only ??20odd from wiggle in the sale - Sugoi ones. So good I bought an extra 2 pairs last week. Another one for training and a pair that will be left in the packet until just before race day. I suspect they are so reduced in the sale because when wet they are a touch more revealing than some might hope. Give the ladies a treat I say!image
  • The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

off for a swim - son has decided he's too tired (he's been in bed for about 12hrs!)

Quick question. On the bike in training I'm using bike shorts but when I race i use tri shorts. Obviously an IM bike at the tail end is many many hours so what about my poor (oversized!) butt?! image do you do the longest rides in bike shorts then gradually increase the time in tri shorts or just htfu on the day and grit your teeth?

I'll be taking the time to do a complete change in T1 & T2. Comfort wins over teeth gritting every time!

• Pix - I did a complete change at my Half IM last year. Wore bra/tri top  and bikini bottoms under my wetsuit, then dried off and put bike shorts and arm warmers on. As for the calf guards I would imagine they'll be ok under your wetsuit - try it out whenyou do your OW swimming later in the year.

But above all - DON'T PANIC !image

• i just always wear tri shorts on the bike.........less is better a lot of us discovered.......only one layer and minor padding means less chance of chaffing............

if you are planning on wearing bike shorts then don't wear them in the swim as the excess padding will get soaked............just strip naked in transistion and put them on dry and freah............the same when you change in t2 to running shorts........

if you are planning on getting changed in trainsition./.... then you have to train harder to give youeself more time..............i take of the wetsuit and put on socks and bike stuff and then get going..............

the faster you are the more time you have in transition to dry your hair and change........the slower you are then you need to be looking to save any spare minutes you can

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

off for a swim - son has decided he's too tired (he's been in bed for about 12hrs!)

Quick question. On the bike in training I'm using bike shorts but when I race i use tri shorts. Obviously an IM bike at the tail end is many many hours so what about my poor (oversized!) butt?! image do you do the longest rides in bike shorts then gradually increase the time in tri shorts or just htfu on the day and grit your teeth?

I'll be taking the time to do a complete change in T1 & T2. Comfort wins over teeth gritting every time!

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

so what will you have under your wettie then?

I was thinking pirate top and bike shorts

but won't it be chilly? do I need a LS top? Or try to put on arm warmers on damp arms?

I'm wanting to wear calf guards too - will these be OK under a wettie? I'm assuming so as I struggle to get them off normally so can't see the wettie pulling them off and there is no way I can get them on damp!

Swimsuit under wettie
    Strip off, dry off
    Bike shorts & top
    Strip off, towel down
    Run shorts & top 

• 30 min snowy run runned. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 1 hour lsr done. 6 miles bagged and 100% jantastic week 1 image
  • My plan was bra and tri shorts under wettie, then add cycle jersey for bike and swop for Monaco for run.
  • I don't know what my plan is but I think I might go for a few extra mins in transition and more comfort. Maybe I'll try my tri shorts on next weeks long bike and see how I go. 

• I wear tri shorts for all my turbo sessions including the 2 hour ones. For the road I use bib shorts if for no other reason than they keep my lower back warm.
  • Just been looking at finks just get around plan and notice there is only a couple of bike rides over 4 hours in it....does anyone know if it has ever been done by following that bike pattern........that would only be about half the distance......image....I like his ideas but wonder if he is coming from a fit cyclists point of view ......meaning emphasis on the swim and run

• Hmm, I'd worry about doing so few hours on the bike, but maybe it's because I'm crap on the bike. I've booked a couple of century rides in May to gain some confidence. 4 hours doesn't seem like much...

• I remember my first ironman,,,,,,,,,,and there is no way i would have got away with so little biking.........

i think Fink is working on the fact that the person can do about 20+ miles an hour..........so 4 hours is 80 odd miles...........for slower riders.there is so much difference between doing 50 miles and a 100 miles

• thats why i was interewsted to see if anyone had ever done it sticking to his bike schedule

• Seren, last year I did the Intermediate, but binned the Friday swim. I think it's all much of a muchness for the first 10 weeks. Any reason why you can't follow the Int. or Comp. cycling?

And remember that the 'get round' is aiming for a sub 17:00:00, so no real need for huge rides.

You know all this anyhow. You done millions!

FWIW I swam in wettie, swim trunks and a rash vest. Spend approximately 17 hours getting changed in to 2XU long distance tri shorts and monaco in T1. In T2 I changed into my racing short shorts and changed socks. That seemed to talk about 17 hours too.

After 30 weeks of training your backside will cope with the distance. There is no such thing as comfy shorts or saddle over that difference. You just get used to it.