a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

Comments

• Oh yes, I'll be doing most, if not all of my running on an running track if that makes a difference.

• By the way, why do most marathon training plans put the first run of the week on Tuesdays? I know most LSRs seem to be on Sunday but is there any reason you have to have your LSR on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday?

Sorry for all the randome posts and quotes. I'm reading other stuff on the site and posting as I go!

• no reason at all. i guess it may be because most people have more free time on a sunday than any other day. and also because most races are on a sunday as well.

but no reason really why you shouldn't shift your runs around. as long as you leave in the appropriate rest days.

as far as training time is concerned, it depends on what you want to achieve. if you're happy to just get round then 15 weeks should do it, provided you're reasonably fit anyway. obviously the quicker the time you want to run the marathon in, then the earlier you need to start training. you can also make your training schedule ramp up quicker, but then you increase your risk of injury as well.

i started last june and am aiming for anything sub 4. i started out doing about 10 miles a week, am currently doing about 35 and will max out at about 42, three weeks before the race. progressing very slowly like that i still managed to pull a hamstring and pick up a niggling achilles ache.

• Hi all

Kamal, I would try and get some road miles in as I know that track is very different to run on. Do you normally do sprinting? It does all depend on how you want to be at the end and how much time you want it to take you.

I started my training but dropped a few miles. I ended up doing 24.5 this week. I need to start training with my Giant Teddy. I may get a weighted back pack so I don't look like a complete narna.

• Eckytump. wrote (see)

I need to start training with my Giant Teddy. I may get a weighted back pack so I don't look like a complete narna.

spoilsport.

i got a pair of superman pants for christmas. i'm thinking of wearing them over my compression tights when it's cold.

• Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm taking it easy for the first few weeks. Hopefully the little bit of pre-training and my cycling background will help me with fitness... my main concern is avoiding injury.

I've changed my training plan to fit more in line with the distances found in this plan:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the-first-three-day-a-week-marathon-schedule/2493.html 

Also got a question:
    Monday 8 x 400m Tuesday 3 miles Saturday 10 miles

What does all that 8 x 400m etc stuff mean? Is it run for 400m then walk for 30 seconds and repeat 8 times or is it more complex than that?

Eckytump, I run on a cinder track - it seems quite close to running on the pavement but that's probably me being a naive noob, lol. I will definitely switch to running around Regent's Park Inner Circle one day a week (for my short run) to get some practice on pavements, if only for a change of scenery to break the monotony. Also, running in a circle means I'm never too far from home! :P

• Kamal, I dont think you are being naive but roads very lots with potholes and yucky stuff that you have to avoidimage. Is your track at a club? sorry I cant remember if I asked that already. also 8x 400 would usually mean just that with a bit of recovery time inbetween.

Oh alright then Sofaboy, I will let TREV have an outing.image. I could entertain the loca yoofs.

• Kamal,

if you're going to train on a track you'll want to alternate the direction you run in. although it's only a gentle curve, apparently running long distances the same way round may give you problems in the long run. in a similar way, i try to do some of my road running on the left side (where it's safe) so i'm not constantly running on a right hand camber. i found i was getting a sore extensor in my right leg. this has cured it.

you might also find that running around a track gets too boring. i started doing laps around my village but i find it can really sap the will power. so whenever i can, i ger out and just do a big loop.

• Hiya.

8.5 miles for me yesterday but nothing today as been on a course for running leaders. I really do need to get my backside in gear or I will be crawling round.

• Sofaboy, thanks. I actually went for my LSR (10.5K) last night at about 1.30am (was in hospital for about 30 hours with my old-man following an operation to fit a pacemaker, hence the unusually late run). I did 12 laps anti-clockwise and 15 laps clockwise. Usually run all of it anti-clockwise.

I didn't think about the pavement camber problem. I will bear that in mind when I'm doing my longer runs on pavement for sure!

• Any advice on avoiding injuries in general?

I tend to cycle to my running track which warms up my legs and most of my body anyway, so I usually only run for about 500 metres or so before stretching. Mostly concentrate on the different muscles in the legs although I do a few stretches on back, arms, shoulders and some rotation on neck - then I start my run proper! 

Also quite good with stretching at the end and then cycling home gently (about 2 miles) as my cool down.

I'm also hoping to change my LSR venue and finally for a cold swim in a bathing pond as an alternative to an ice bath to help with recovery.

I've read on this site that foam rollers are good. Anybody use one of these?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/gear/gear-pick-trigger-point-grid-foam-roller/9080.html

Are they any good or worth investing in?

• I don't know about rollers as i don't use one. But i hear good things about them. From what I've learned, I've say the three biggest causes of injury are a lack of either warming up/down, crap shoes and doing too much, too soon. You sound like you've got the warming covered. So just make sure your shoes are correct and don't attempt too much.
  • Hmmm, I think that calls for a cup of tea and some Victoria sponge! Millk and one sugar?
  • so how are peoples' resolve handling the current nippy conditions?

i wimped out of last nights easy 4 miler but forced myself to do today's 8 mile. once i'd got over the initial "Crap, it's cold!!" reaction, it was really quite nice. and it started snowing part way through, which was nice.

needless to say, the kettle went on as soon as i got back...

• Resolve in the face of the cold weather is still good, alhumdu-lillah, as I quite like running, cycling, etc in the cold because I tend to get hot very quickly. However, I'm struggling to stick to my training schedule because of hospital visits to check on my dad. Missed Monday's run because of this and also calves were still a bit sore from the the 'LSR' on Saturday night/Sunday morning (humour me, 6 miles is an LSR for a noob like me, inneh). Rather than swap my runs to even days though, I'm just going to run do my mid-tempo run tonight, LSR on Saturday followed by a swim in the pond, God willing, and 15 mile cycle rides with some high intensity core work on Thursday and Friday. I've been saying I'm going to go swimming for weeks, something always comes up though! image

I think that deserves a round of cake. Carrot cake any good?

• Today's workout was SICK! After visiting dad at hospital and making sure he was fed, I cycled about 2 miles to Highgate Ponds only to find I was too late to swim. image

Not to be undone, I cycled approximately another 2 miles to Regents Park running track, did a little warm up, stretched and then ran the whole of the Outer Circle (just under 4 miles). Sofaboy, you'll be pleased to know I alternated between running on the road (facing traffic) and on both left and right hand side of the pavement. Next time, I'll go in the opposite direction. After completing the circle, gulped down some some sports drink and ran up and down Primrose Hill a couple of times stopping nicely at 5.2 miles in the outdoor gym at the bottom of the hill.

Feeling a bit bored of running at this point (and conscious of missing the cold swim I'd planned) I took my top off (actually, took all of them off as it was dark and the two other blokes weren't paying any attention to me), scrubbed myself down properly with snow (I checked it wasn't yellow... or brown for that matter!) then did a high intensity core workout for about 10 minutes, constantly scrubbing with snow. Got dressed, carried on running to complete 6 miles, did my cool down stretches then cycled 2 miles home.

Finally, at home, I had a 10 minute cold shower to aid recovery and build tolerance for next week's Tough Guy challenge. I'm going to rip this Tough Guy event to shreds, insha-Allah! Now, to snuggle down with some tea and cake and my teddy. image
  • StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just catching up with this thread - I never seem to get notifications when someone posts even tho I am following - so thought it had just gone a bit quiet. Hope training is going well.

It's Sunday morning and I'm having a bit of a lie in because of the snow, was due to do 15 mile LSR but tbh quite glad of the rest. Did 14 miles last Sunday and it was my first really hard run and I felt quite disheartened as training has been going really well so far. I felt generally tired and I am struggling a bit with the mental side of running distances I've never run before - does anyone else find this - so last week's run always felt like that's when traing 'proper' would start as I'd only done up to hard mara before so I think I was apprehensive from the start. Need to get the head sorted!

In the meantime in a quandary about snow running which is tricky in these urban areas where it quickly becomes packed snow and ice on pavement and park alike. I've ordered some trail shoes as I fancied some anyway but also been looking at stuff like Yaktrax - how is anyone else coping with the snow/ice?

My daughter has to be delivered to a party at 10am so not much of a lie in but an afternoon of telly, tea and cake beckons - bit like Xmas revisited. And fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow!

Kate
  • StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    *half mara, not hard!
  • Hey Stilts! Woah, 15 miles is er... miles from where I'm at at the moment. From the training plans I've looked it seems that if you do a big LSR (e.g. half-marathon and above) the following week you take it easy and drop a good few miles.

It's snowing where I am, gonna get on my bike and cycle to that pond. If I survive the plunge,insha-Allah, I'll tell you how I feel about not being able to sire any children. :S
  • Stilts, what fuel did you take on you during the LSR? And did you make sure that you had a good solid breakfast and dinner the night before? I've found that fueling really makes a difference.

As far as running in this weather is concerned, if you're comfortable running on roads, I'd do that. If the pavements are slippery it's just not worth it. Missing a few runs will not really hurt your training. A broken ankle might though...

Good work Kamal, very dedicated. Don't come a cropper on the snow though.
  • StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Kamal, I started my plan about 3 weeks early so I would have a few weeks in hand in case of illness/injury/whatever. Must admit I didn't really think of snow! I'm also training off the back of an October half marathon so not quite from scratch. It's an 18 week plan Hal Higdon advanced novice or something. I like it cos it's nice and straightforward just mileage rather than time which I find easier to plan for, as you say a few hard weeks followed by an 'easy' week. I like how what feels like an easy week is so much more than I would have been doing say a year ago, I did 7 miles last Thurs and it felt quite routine, then i thought jeez that was my longest long run until last summer image

Sofaboy you're absolutely right about fuelling and it was definitely key to my crap run. I usually pay attention to what I eat now on Sat knowing that I'll be running long on Sun but last week I had loads of junk then a very light pasta meal for tea and light breakfast. I did take my first ever gel half way round but think it was too late by then, combination of the cold, not properly fuelled over the previous 1-2 days, not properly rested generally. I didn't feel hungry or anything and nothing hurt I just ended up feeling cold and knackered and was very chilled when I got back home - took me a while to recover tbh.

I do believe it's the mental attitude I need to work on tho, knowing I was heading into unknown territory at 14 miles I kinda made it a self fulfilling prophecy by not preparing properly so guaranteeing it would be hard! My training has been going really well until now and it's a real lesson learnt. So a timely snow rest and a chance to regroup mentally and physically is probably a good thing methinks. Thank goodness I have those few extra weeks in hand ...

Anyway enough of my ramblings, Kamal I can't believe you're going to go swimming in a pond in this weather, now that is hardcore!

Kate
  • i just thought of another thing, Stilts.

how much mileage have you got on your shoes? for the last couple of weeks i hade my old ones, runs seemed to be getting pregressively harder. i was feeling seriously knackered in the legs and had really sore feet and calfs. new shoes fixed me right up. i changed after about 400 miles.

i make my own gels so its a bit hard to judge how many equivalent bought ones  i'd be using. i think they're fairly similar, calorie-wise and i get through babout 100 ml on a long run, mixed 50/50 with water. they take about 20 minutes to work into your system so i start drinking it at about 6 miles in aiming to drink the last with about 2-3 miles to go.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Right again Sofaboy. I've been breaking in two new pairs (I alternate between 2 Asics models) but decided to do the LSR in the old ones. Think they're now just about passed it or at least best reserved for short runs. Wasn't so much the cushioning just general support.

Will try again this Sunday, 15 miles scheduled, forecast is rain and wind. This marathon lark is character building stuff. Happy days!!
  • back on a 16 mile LSR this sunday after 10 days off due to the snow. i did feel really frustrated at not being able to get out, but actually i think it may have done me some good. i was starting to feel the odd twinge or bit of tightness in my legs in the last couple of weeks before the snow and this time off has given me a bit of a break. my legs feel great and i just want to get back out there now.

3 months to go. eek!!

• Hi, guys!

All the running and cold water training paid off. I successfully completed this year's Tough Guy race, in 3hrs 39mins, ending up in position 2708 out of 3650 finishers.  I know that puts me in the third quarter of finishers and I didn't quite rip it to shreds as promised but TG and I have a mutual respect for each other now, I think, and I'm happy with that. 

http://www.racetimingsystems.net/Results/IndividualResult.aspx?Id=512779&Round=1865&Search=5605

http://i46.tinypic.com/29kygzd.jpg

Taking a few days off to relax, training for VLM resumes on Wednesday, insha-Allah. Bring it on!

• good job.

sprained my ankle playing squash last night. not too happy.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Sofaboy - oh no, that's really bad luck - you must be very far from happy! Is it badly sprained? What's the prognosis? I am crossing everything that it's not too bad and won't disrupt your training too much. These things can happen so easily, I'm feeling for you.

Sending large mug of tea and home made chocolate brownie (pushing the boat out under the circumstances)

• cheers mate. well, it's not as bad as i thought it was when i first did it. only a bit swollen and tender. it feels more weak than anything. hopefully i'll be back in a week or so.

doubly annoying as i wasn't even playing at the time. i was just walking over to collect the ball after a point.

and really frustating as well, as i'd only done one run (13m) since taking a break for the snow and had come back feeling great, and chomping at the bit to get going again. grrrr.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Phew, that sounds not too bad - I should send a bag of frozen peas instead - try and be patient and enjoy? the rest ... Ok it's a bummer and very frustrating I agree!

I found it odd missing just a couple of snow runs last week but the rest is useful and I did a much more comfortable 15 miles on Sunday having eaten and rested well on Sat. Also did 2 out-and-back runs from home so after the first 8 miler popped home for a quick change and put on the trail shoes (and check on the tennis) before heading up to Richmond Park for another 7 miles. Still knackered but recovery was much better, bit of an ankle/lower leg niggle but doesn't feel serious and planning my scheduled 4 miles tonight.

Take it easy and be patient you still have plenty of time and the forecast IS for lots of rain this week after all!
  • Just discovered this thread so I'm a first time poster and first time marathoner (is that a word?).

I ran a bit in 2011 having never run before. I started again in sept last year as my weight had crept up (16 1/2 stone). Was doing a two or three runs most weeks for a few months. Kept it up thought December so entered the VLM

Not following a programme (is that foolish). Just following the principlesn trying to run 4 times a week. One LSR, did 17miles last week, 13 miles today. Then other days tend to do 6 miles, either easy, or with intervals, I have option of doing 10 mile run to work too.

Do you think this DIY approach is ok?