Tough Guy 2013

Hi, new to the sight ,

Just signed up for tough guy 2013 in January, trying to find people who are doing the january event, pretty nervouse but excited too, or if anybody out there has done 1 in the past do you have any tips, adding hill running to my treadmill gym routine and doing leg press to build muscle in legs, I am generaly fit but want to be in best condition for event... image

Comments

• It's not just about leg strength and stamina- a lot of people find the obstacle course very hard due to a lack of upper body strength.

Train bodyweight exercises- burpees, press ups etc. 

Train as winter draws in outside- don't stay in the gym or the shock of the cold will be bad!

Run down rivers, turn the shower to freezing, lots of hill sprints and be comfortable running over uneven surfaces.

See you at the finish line!

• If i can do it... Anyone canimage As AR says it's the cold that's the issue. I thought I'd just trot around and not bother about time. In hindsight you have to keep moving. Otherwise sure you need to be fit, however all the issues I saw were cold related. That said it's still the race i'm most proud of completing. Enjoy!!!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Training : Hit the trails and run. Do pull ups. Its that simple.

On the day : Wear as little light clothing as possible (wet clothes will just make you colder). Running shorts and a clsoe fitting tech tshirt will be good. Wear a set of cycle or weight gloves. Set off fast to avoid the huuuuuge queues at some obstacles as people try all sorts of methods to be as slow as possible over them. When you get in the cold water go through as fast as you can, get out and get moving. Don't hang around in it feeling sorry for yourself.

• I participated this year. I would say it is a real advantage to have some cross country training in the bank, getting ahead of the pack near the start means you can maintain momentum and subsequently body temperature (to some degree) in the Killing Fields.

<span>A few ice baths, closely followed by going for a run a few weeks before the event is good preparation.

Good luck, its is great fun and very satisfing to complete. 

• And also, wearing a rubber swim hat really helps protect against the worst of the cold when you are fully submerged. 

• Thank you for all the advice, it is much appreciated, also as I am doing the challenge alone, should there be anybody in my position would like to pair up on the day, please let me know.

Cheers

• Hi Daren, I've signed up too!

Watched a few videos of last years event and tbh I don't think it looks that bad physically, like others have said it's just trying to combat the cold.

I'm going with a team of 6 guys, more than welcome to buddy up with us on the day image

Karleigh

• Hi Karleigh,

Thank you for the response, that would be great to join with your group on the day, I am staying over the night event too, I will be starting as a wetneck I believe! lol. I am in training at the minute to be ready, but like you said, the cold will be the biggest obstacle, what sort of fitness levels arre you guys?.  I watched lots of videos too, it should be a great day and great achievment to finish the course.

can't waitimage

• I'll be getting a hotel for 2 days, there is NO WAY I'm camping before the event and after I'm going to want a hot bath!

We're all different levels, all resonably fit but we're no athletes haha

Are you on Twitter?

Follow me, @thekarleighshow

• Hi Darren and friends...

Just where is the tough guy event challenge held ?

• G'day

Event is just outside Wolverhampton.

Signed up as soon as registration opened this year so will be in the Wetneck starting group.

Whilst I've not competed in an event of this calibre, I have learnt from previous obstacle course races that running on uneven ground, mud and hills where possible, and doing bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and push-ups are about all I've needed. Hypothermia looks like it could be the main difficulty.

• Hi Guys.

My name is Chris and have entered tough guy at the end of the month. I'm a very weak runner and let's just say i'm not the fittest (currently look like i've swallowed a couple of turkeys over christmas lol)! However i've entered with 2 super fit friends who are stronger than me in all physical activities.

I'm quite nervous about this event, but have been training for around 6 months now. I can do 20 pull ups at a time, have just managed to do 25 press ups and recently completed a 10k race in 2hours 33 minutes.

Do anyone have any words of wisdom for me for the forthcoming event, really am nervous but can't wait to be a tough guy!!

Thanks

• Hi all.

Just managed 26 press ups. 

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

• Hey Chris Bray.. Don't worry about it. I have been training really really hard with my brother, running round a 5 km course in Melton Mowbray that takes in all of the local sites, including the dog food / pork pie factory. I can nail this in around 1hr30mins. To add to my training I am also a "semi pro" footballer in the Leicestershire County League (division 12) and I am confident that the adrenealine of the day will just cruise me round. Look forward to seeing you there. I am the ginger one in the swimming cap, wearing tights and a lycra top. P.S. are you wearing gloves? 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Are you sure the route is 5k Dan? Do you stop at all? 90 minutes works out at 30 minutes per mile and I am sure you be travelling faster than that!

• I am sure. I only have one leg.

• Hi Boys,

You have certainly got my attention image I am comming over on my own for the 'Tough Guy' event from Ireland and have been really nervous about it. Good to see there are others too...

I know it is silly but I am def going to be wearing a swimming hat as well. You know what they say 'don't be a fool, wrap that tool' 

I am very lucky as I live on a farm and we have plenty of hills for cardio. Which is Ace. For my upper body strengh I do push ups with sheep. Sounds weird but really works. I know this is a really really girlie thing but am scared of heights. Hopefully this won't be an issue...

I am running for my ex-boyfriend who died two years ago from liver cancer. Please feel free to sponsor me www.rikcolwillfoundation.org

If anyone is also running on there own please free to message. Maybe we could have a party after before I fly back on the Monday image

Can't wait for the Craic

Kaz

• Upper body strength.....Oh oh, I do running.....Wabbits dont have a lot of upper body strength....
  • Hello everyone,

Im also doing Tough Guy alone and for the first time - a little scared but excited too.

Am srsly considering a swim hat and knee protectors. Run four times a week so not worried about that - just everything else!!

Anyone want to buddy up please give me a shout.

Also - how do i know where  and when i start?

Cheers!

• Hi Sarabop. you will be in the wetnecks like myself as it is our first, I am quite fit but you do more running than I so the run you should find easy but dont mind buddying up an the day if you like, it will be just a case of getting together before the start as it will be very busy, wetnecks will prob go off about 11-20am but will need to get down there much earlier to register ect ect, are you going down on the saturday??as for where to start you should rec info in the post very soon,

• It's also my first time and I am doing it with my son. I think I am a dickhead which is a 20 mins delay at the start. Going to park in the town and walk as just spent ??25 for my husband, dad and niece to get in and watch us.

We did an 8 mile run today xcountry in 2 hours so terrain and distance not a worry BUT the obstacles and need for upper body strength is a huge concern (as is the cold, fire, electric, tyre tunnel, plank jumps etc).

Also son is allergic to horses and seeing as this is linked with a sanctuary is it 'horsey' on the course?
  • The horses get moved on race day, but for the showers after the race it s basically just the horse barn (or horse hydrotherapy unit as mr mouse likes to call it) with a holey water pipe running along the roof

• my first time this year very very excited! My xmas present was an upgrade to front squad image

Got some neoprene gloves and beenie to try and keep me warm.

Good luck to everyone !

• bought my gear, thin things that dont hold any water but still should stay warmish, the water is going to be freezing, just planning to be in and out as quickly as possible, decent pair of gloves and good all terrain boots to run in, good luck to all, hope every body finishes the race, also if anybody going down on the saturday also to the friendly gathering for food and drinks on the saturday night let us know.

• has anybody done any cold water training, as was going to do some starting about 3 weeks ago but I have been ill past couple of weeks so have swerved it ,

• No cold water training darren ! just xcountry running. Im going to get cold whatever happens!

• Hi Daren

Cheers for your message, ive found a girl locally who is also doing it alone so we are going to arrange to come up together early on the Sunday. We could meet up if thats possible and have a pow wow before and after... if you fancy it. We are all nervous and some friendly face wouldnt go amiss eh!

Ive done lots of cross country and cold weather stuff but not submersion, will have to deal with that on the day.

• Have done a dress rehearsal today and ran 6 miles in the snow wearing a shortie wetsuit..... Cosy!!