HADD training plan

Comments

• lol Brian image

I can't edit the post above it is suposed to read avgHR 138(73%)

• Glad the 5 mile handicap went well Brian. Interesting that both you and Dr Dan showed similar stats comparing that run with previous HM runs. I am not sure what that is telling me though. It seems to suggest that you are both well of where you were for the half marathon. Is that how you see it. If so what pace/hr are you planning on at the BM. I ask because I ran a similar race a few weeks ago and finished with 8:10 pace but a high AHR and feeling quite tired. Not really sure what to do at York.

PS I have entered do the York FM in October.
    PPS been reading the P&D thread and it is very interesting 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

JB ... I know already that I'm way off where I'd want to be for a HM race ... but nice to have that confirmed with a bit of pain & stats!! 7:10/m seems like where I might be aiming at BM. Leeds HM is the target in May ... tougher course but I'd reall like to nail it there.

I've entered the Chester full marathon for 6th October.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Mace, after last mara vlm2012 I decided to take 18 months off maras and concentrate on the shorter distances. I did tho enter vlm13 "just incase". Since I have made the decision to stick to the original plan and wait till October for next mara (prob Amsterdam).
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Jb/drdan, not sure about bm but I am fairl sure I am not I pb shape. 6.12 pace would seem the sensible option. Anyway have a good weekend everybody. I'm taking mrs b to london to watch phantom.
  • Chick- well done on the 7:xxmm. Thats improvement for ya image

In to the 3rd non run day now. Beginning to wonder if I may have to abandon the helsby half on 20th jan because it just ain't happening at the min. training was just heading nicely to pre christmas standards as well. Was really motivated by the improvement as well. Heel feels fine so might try an go for a run later on once breaky has settled.

PS. Interested in the heart rate for half's as well as JB.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Brian, that's a shame ... I plan to spectate this year and would have hunted you down and fed you some beersimage

5M recovery this morning, 8:50 pace @ 68%. I love these P&D Saturday morning recovery runs after a good lay in image
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    AtD, soz to hear about you being benched. Think you maybe need a rethink on your strategy. My advice would be more gym work and lower mileage to start with. Build a strong and solid base, maybe 6 weeks of it. Then reassess.

I would say 90% is sustainable for a well trained afleet on a hm.

(Brian. Inc accept no responsibility for taking advice above).

Mace, me an wifey stoppin over in york, so we will be rehydrating afterwards.

Not sure where tho. We are booked in the raddisson. So feed me.....
  • I visited my orthotics man yesterday for gait analysis. My current orthotics (which are 7 years old) are correcting my calves by about 90% but I have ordered some new ones to get the extra 10%. I think it worth it if if helps me avoid injury. That costs me at last 2 physio sessions a time so £70 * 4 injuries a year.

This morning ran 4.75 miles to the gym, stretched etc for about 10 mins and then ran home for another 3 miles. I was adopting a jog/walk/stare into the distance strategy round about 6 miles as the break had caused me to stiffen up a bit, then a runner had the temerity to go past - no doubt feeling very cocky.  I gave him 25 yards start and then ran 45-50 seconds a mile quicker than I had been doing for 1.5 miles for only a 10bpm rise in HR. Stuffed him into the distance. It is those little things that make me feel I can improve relatively quickly once I start getting the miles in.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    JB, qua-li-teeeee. If you believe in the inserts, they will work for you. Top banana entering the marathon. Now you have a huge goal to aim at. I wouldn't bet against you either with your experience and knowledgeable approach. The best of British luck to you my friend.

Me and mrs drinking bucks fizz and eating for free in 1st class train to kings cross.

Its a hard life
  • Enjoy the big city - coming from Bradford it wlil make a big change to see street lights and shops that are actually open and not either shut down or Poundland ones image

Sounds like you are too good to Mrs B. Remember the adage - treat them mean to keep them kean

Oh I forgot to pick up on 2 things Chickadee posted, one was the big  breakthrough in the 10M runs being below 8mm. Well done, it is is good when a plan comes together.

Secondly I think it was here or on the P&D thread she said something about the weather normally being better at 05:00 then than later on in the morning and I wondered if anybody else had picked up on that and how factual it was.

• Johnny, used to do lots of parachuting ( years ago ) and the best time do a " jump" was first light or last light, as the weather was at its best then.

Parkrun today at 79% avg HR in a time of 23.18 mins felt very comfortable.

• 14 miles today but it was not a good hadd session, I was a little dehydrated today and it was a hilly route, now I've got my excuses in

14.3m 2:39:39:xx@11:07mm avgHr149(79%)
  • 15 mile's on the treadmill felt like i was running forever !

71% avg,  55 miles this week .

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Ashman - 15m on the dready - not sure if that is heroic or mad.

Good work Stew and RS.

Definately better at 5am JB. At 5am I can only feel the rain but at 7am I can see it as well!

How was The Phantom Menace Brian?

A good race today. Thanet duathlon in which I came 3rd overall last year. Not sure how I would fare with less cycling and no speed work this time. I also haven't done anything race paced since the end of October, so today was a real test of how HADD 70 - 80% work would pay off at a harder effort. 

First 2.4m road run @ 6.10m/m 165bpm (86%) felt hard - but I was pleased to be 2nd, 8 sec behind the leader at this point. Made up a couple of seconds in transition and soon caught and passed him on some technical bits on the bike. 

The 9m bike section was so, so wet and muddy. Came to a complete standstill on a few occassions in the water and mud. Really tough going. On the back of the course I came off 3 times and ended up wadding next to the bike for a bit. Fell off twice again on the 2nd lap which had been churned up even more by the riders. Although it was flat and had 1m in total of tarmac the bike split averaged 5.56m/m - 157bpm (83%)

I lost some time in 2nd transition with standard rather than elastic laces on my trail shoes, and I enjoyed overtaking 20 riders over the loop. Worst bit was where they redirect the runners through 5 water filled dykes. The worst was just short of waist deep and so slippery it was hard to get out of. 7.45m/m 159bpm (84%) for these 4.5miles. 

Overall 1hr 32min and the win, 90sec ahead of 2nd place, who is a sub 3hr marathon runner / IM athlete and also 11 yr younger than me. image

Finished the day with some intervals pretending to be a boy eating dragon, chasing my kids round a local playground

• Brilliant. Well done Keir !!
  • Congrats Keir awesome stuff image
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    A win keir! Fantastic!! How many peeps can say they've WON a race.

Take a bow.

Phantom was great, restaurant and meal was good. The travel was different (neither of us have travelled by 1st class on the train before). Only downside was the room was tiny.

I didnt get out yesterday. Was going to get up early and run before setting off but cnba. Anyway just got 56mins in, just as its starting to snow.
  • Fantastic result Keir.

15 miles on the mill is a lot Ashman so kudos to you. I was thinking of doing the 10 mile LT run  on the treadmill as conditions are consistent that way

• Keir well done sounded like great fun.

16 miles today and knocked another chunk of time off,  70% avg HR in 2.28 mins

• Keir, great performance. A good testament for the hadd principles.

Ashman. 15 milesnon the treadmill! That takes some mental strength.

18.5 miles for me early this morning at 75-80% effort. Beautiful conditions and a reminder of why I run. I love Sunday mornings when the rest of the world is still tucked up in bed - the sunrise over Salford Quays was surprisingly picturesque.

51 miles for the week and definite improvements being seen at these HRs. Slight niggle in the groin has taken a bit of the gloss off what would have been my best week's running ever.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Keir, great performance !!

Wind was pretty harsh in places along that stretch as well
  • Catching up after long weekend away (not running) but competing in Sporting Car Trials finals in Cornwall (which involved lots of walking up slippy hills and lots of adrenalin rushes so HR got high but not necessarily in a good 'sustained' way)

Chick - RESPECT!!

Keir - great performance - HADDing rules

Been on bench for a week - so back to running this week. Worried now about trying for PB at Silverstone HM in March. I'll just have to relax about it and see how it goes.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Keir ... fantastic win! Sounded like a tough day out too!!image

Brian. Sounded like a really tough day out for you too ... hard to cope with 1st class and all! image

13.2 miles at the crack of dawn yesterday ... 68% maxHR on a very hilly route ... legs were still mashed from Brian's 5M race on Friday. And boy of boy was it was COLD at 6:30! Then went off to the peco XC race at Bramley Fall to watch my son race over 2M - he came in 3rd and just avoided getting chicked by the first girl  (very important when you're 14!) ... she was literally half his size.image

Double commute day today... stage 1 done.image

• Good running, Dr. Dan image

Keir: top class racing image.

Andy: sorry to hear you are benched. Remember what I said about regular physio / sports massages ...   perhaps something to try to "un-bench" you sooner rather than later?

StewartC wrote (see)
    That is some session Chick, how long did it take to recover from, and excellent pacing, all your hard work is paying off image

I'm going to put the last couple of days out of my mind and just crack on with the "shit" phase, I'm not sure weather to rest or not tonight as I had a sports massage

I'm very lucky to recover quite quick. Generally any exertion is forgotten by the time I'm home and got some food down me throat ... the occasional rest day helps too. Monday is usually my rest day.

I would rest after a sports massage.

hollers wrote (see)
    I've had my own wow moments this week. An evening 9 miler at 75% came in at 7:55 pace which represents approx a minute improvement from when I started hadding 10 weeks ago and then did 11 miles with 9 @ 80% and I was hitting 7:10-7:15 without any obvious drift.
    I'm nervous about doing my next run in case it's a disappointment.

image - top news, hollers. See, your long run yesterday proved how far you've come and that the good runs earlier in the week weren't a one-hit wonder. Hope the groin thing is just a small niggle.

JohnnyBike wrote (see)

I visited my orthotics man yesterday for gait analysis. My current orthotics (which are 7 years old) are correcting my calves by about 90% but I have ordered some new ones to get the extra 10%. I think it worth it if if helps me avoid injury. That costs me at last 2 physio sessions a time so £70 * 4 injuries a year.

This morning ran 4.75 miles to the gym, stretched etc for about 10 mins and then ran home for another 3 miles. I was adopting a jog/walk/stare into the distance strategy round about 6 miles as the break had caused me to stiffen up a bit, then a runner had the temerity to go past - no doubt feeling very cocky.  I gave him 25 yards start and then ran 45-50 seconds a mile quicker than I had been doing for 1.5 miles for only a 10bpm rise in HR. Stuffed him into the distance. It is those little things that make me feel I can improve relatively quickly once I start getting the miles in.

Nice one, Johnny. I love it when you leave people eating your dust image. Hope the orthotics erase those calf probs once and for all.

JohnnyBike wrote (see)
    Secondly I think it was here or on the P&D thread she said something about the weather normally being better at 05:00 then than later on in the morning and I wondered if anybody else had picked up on that and how factual it was.

Would be interested if it's the same in other regions. I'm in Northern Germany and  got wet on many a lunchtime or evening run cursing myself for being such a lazy sod because early morning it was fine and dry

• whoops, that was cut off ...

BD: hope your running goes well this week.

Did 19 miles progressive yesterday - 6m @ 9mm, 6@ 8:30 and 6@ 8:00 and 1m coold down. Felt pretty strong but the cold wind and occasional sleet shower made it a bit hard in places.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

BD, Hope this week is back to normal training-wise.

DrDan, Nice long run, and thumbs up to Dan jnr! A chip off the old block...

chick, good progressive long run there. Don't you be peaking too early.

Lunchtime towpath 90min run, 12M @ 7:27 for 139 (75%) Did an MP session with a colleague, middle 70mins at 7:15 pace.