Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Hi guys this will be my first marathon doen a few 10k runs, trying to train between work ( india ) and home west yorkshire, todays run wa smy first ever 10 miler 

• Hi Edinburgh is my first marathon, excited and nervous . Respect for all of you and good luck. I'm up to long runs of 13.1 with not a bad time of 1hr33 but secretly hoping for sub 3 hrs for the marathon . 6 months to go so with a lot of training who knows. Good luck everyone, and if anyone from Helensburgh is running and want a training partner let me know
  • Hi everyone I'm also doing Edinburgh and am currently trawling through all the training plans....as recommended on this forum had a look at asics. I like the idea of 4 runs weekly as I like a bit of cross training. Also last year had to drop out of Prague due to injury and I put that down to overtraining at 6 runs per week. I'm currently running about 4 times a week including runs of 10-12 miles and would like to do sub 4. Wasn't going to think about training plans until January but feel I would like something in place. How's training going for everyone else?
  • Hi Janie and everyone else.

Training isn't going to bad, just waiting for the full training plan to kick in before I really concentrate!!

I have just got a road bike from my cycle to work scheme for the extra training on the days off.

I could do with some advice on a good diet, as mine is not the best and at 13.5 stone could do with losing a few .

I really hope you all are doing well and I hope you keep in touch on this forum.

Merry xmas to you all and dont eat to many Mince Pies Lol.

Regards

Gary
  • Hi all, just started following this thread - I am signed up for my Edinburgh marathon which will be my 6th 26.2miler, looking forward to the opportunity to go for a PB (3:24) which I did in Berlin over 2 years ago and failed to get close to it at VLM and Halstead this year despite training very hard last winter/spring.

I've used (& recommend) Hal Higdon training plans all the way through my Novice - Intermediate II. I might change tack slightly for next year though as I'm also venturing into the world of Ultramarathons and doing a 48 miler in August which will be my first, very nervous about that but Edinburgh will be good training for it!

@Gary - have you looked at 'Eat and Run' by Scott Jurek? I've just started it and will try and improve my diet over the coming months based on that (perhaps after Xmas!) - he's an amazing Ultra runner.

cheers.

• All, I've entered Edinburgh too, and like a few of you, it'll be my first marathon. Got fed up with not getting into London and can't afford the time to fundraise for a charity place, so thought, sod it, enter a marathon, and Edinburgh looked appealing! Also was speaking to a bloke in Runner's Need who said as Edinburgh is in May it gives you an extra month of training, esp when wintry conditions set in.

I've entered 2 half marathons: York (Jan) and Reading (March), and am doing a lot of park runs and a monthly 10km at the mo.

Sounds mad, but I'm looking forward to it?!!!!!!!!!......

• Hello to Everyone,

Well its back to Edinburgh for me for another bash at it.This will be my fourth attempt. Last year i had my first DNF at the distance so will be going back to make amends for it.

Have had an enforced layoff from running after breaking my arm and dislocating my shoulder so i am starting from scratch and am now into my second week of the pre marathon training programme on the Edinburgh website. Anyone else doing it ?

Gary i am reading Nutrition for Marathon Running by Jane Griffin which is full of good advice. If only i could stick to it.

Good luck to everyone and especially all the first timers.  

• Hi

Just ordered the Jane Griffin book has lots of good reviews....thanks. Will start reading it after christmas.

I'm jumping between asics schedule and Hal higdons not quite sure yet but will have to decide soon!!! Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Asics plan for me simply because I have the ASICS app on my iPhone which reminds me when to run and logs them automatically. Seems like a decent plan as well.

Time will tell!

• Hello everyone. I've signed up to Edinburgh full marathon this year after running in the Hairy Haggis team relay (part of the Edinburgh Marathon runs) for the last two years. This gives me a pretty good overview of the spectators point of view of getting to the start line/ finish lines to watch other members of my team. Please ask any questions.

I'm desperate to find some individuals to go for evening runs as I really dont enjoy running in the dark on my own so if anyone is in the Edinburgh city centre area and wants to meet for a Tuesday / Friday evening run let me know.

• Hi All,

Ran it for the second time this year abeit 7 years after the first one. Running it again in 2013.

A running buddy is looking for a place too but the fcfs entries are closed. Place transfers are permitted, please let me kmow if you hear of anyone looking to transfer. Thanks.

• Hope everyone's training going well for Edinburgh. Just returned from a week seeing the inlaws in Ediburgh and had several great runs including one out to Crammond Isle and another through the Pentlands. I'll be running Edinburgh marathon again this year - 8th time I think?

I noticed the post about people not being impressed if you are running Edinburgh compared to London. A shame but also true I think. A marathon is a marathon regardless though.
  • 132 days to go.....image
  • Accommodation & flights booked.....gulp!
  • Hi Malindi

Where abouts are you staying.?
  • Premier inn, Edinburgh east? How about you?
  • Just back from 2 weeks in Florida and hoping to get right back into training!! It was the Walt Disney world marathon while I was there aNd it really got me excited seeing everyone walking round with medals! Just purchased a new pair of trainers and need to get some new socks..
  • I need some new trainers & socks too. Might have to wait til payday tho :-[
  • I'm signed up for Edinburgh as well, and it will be my first full. I know some say that you shouldn't have a time goal for your first, but I find it both difficult and boring not to... Ideally I'd like to make sub 4 (half PB from September is 1.50.11). Signed up for RW forum today, and will be exited to follow it as training progresses image
  • Hi Lea this is my 2nd and for my first I had 3 goals - 1 to finish ...2 under 4.30....3 under 4.15... I did it in 4.09 so was very happy but even if i hadn't wouldn't have felt disappointed.

Good luck with training
  • Hi, perhaps a bit of a long shot here, but maybe worth a go.

I'm keen to run the full marathon, but seem to have missed the boat on places. If anyone with a place is unable to run (or know someone in a similar situation), I'd really appreciate an entry transfer. I'd obviously cover all costs etc.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Hi All

How's the snow training going?People walking down the snow covered footpaths look at me in bemusement image.

I have started the Asics plan and doing well, I'm still in the pre conditioning training but I'm looking forward to bigger runs

The pre conditioning is really complicated!!! as in the way of pace.It suggests that I run at 13.26 min miles? I'm used to training at 9:30-10 min miles so I find it really hard to slow down to that pace.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Malindi I'm staying at a Premier Inn in Duddingston, which is in between start and finish.

Hope everyones training is going to plan and injury free.
  • Hi Gary

No snow here yet but has been very cold and sometimes icy. Been doing a few of my runs on e treadmill but got a 12 miler today so going to do it outside. I totally agree with the schedules asking you to train slower! I have a similar pace in all distances!

Got new trainers and socks and buff headgear to keep my neck warm so hoping that motivates me to head out into the cold!!
  • Hi all - i'm doing Edinburgh as well but I wondered if anybody has booked their accommodation via the offical hotels link on the EM website?  I booked and paid a deposit and it said that some of the rooms I requested were "on request" and they'd confirm the booking to me.  I've heard nothing but when I log on and look at my booking it just shows the rooms I've tried to book.  Does this mean they're booked?  I emailed them but heard nothing and there is no phone number shown on the site!  Thanks. 

• Hi Janie

Good luck for your 12 miler today and take care on the roads/paths.

I bought some new trainers in the sales, but i'm still using my old ones as the salt and ice will ruin the new ones.

MarmiteClaire

Which company did you book through via the link on EMF?
  • Hi Gary - via the official hotels link, but within an hour of my posting on the forum yesterday I'd got a response from them.  Funny that!

• First week marathon training snow ice and just a wee bit of sun done cross train on Sunday for triathlon in march
  • Goodbye snow, Hello normal running.

Had a nice 13.4 mile run today,very pleased although my pre-build plan said to do a 7.5 miler!!

The sun was out and I felt good so kept on going, went for a swim after and now I'm ready for my bed lol.
  • Well done Gary on the 13.4 mile run, ive done a 10 this afternoon and the wind was awful on the way back......it's done though so I can tick it off.
  • Official 16 week countdown starts on Monday ! Looking forward to this, I think...