Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggy:  thanks for the tip, we are looking at appartment hotel accommodation, basically appartments that are attached to hotels!!  But am going to look at The Surrey and the Library Hotel.  May pick your brain for location though.  Oh and the subway tip if great particularly for Miss PF and Master PF who will both want to get away from the Old Uns!!!!!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

PF - For apartment style accommodation in a hotel the Affinia Manhattan gets great reviews.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Morning All,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Well done on all the LSR's.

I managed to complete Oh My Obelisk and was quite pleased with a 1:35. Link to my Garmin showing how hilly it was and why my calf's are a little stiff today!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261550527

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Trevor - Well done. Looks like a tough one going by that profile.

• Hi folks, not sure what your weather forecast is looking like... I hear it could have been a bit warm on your Goofy Run Dannirr... Was it hot, could you confirm? Anyway, looks like I've got two weeks of sub zero to look forward to, down to -11C at the coming weekend.

As for accommodation in NYC, I'd advise to save your cash and take a basic hotel on Queens at half the price or less than in Manhattan. It's merely 10 minutes on the subway and 5-10mins walk to a decent enough hotel. You'll spend much more time than that going up and down Manhattan. A Queens hotel will put you about the same travel time away from Central Park as if you took a place around Times Square.

Don't pay extra for views from hotels. It will be dark and the best views of Manhattan come from atop of the bigger scrapers like Empire State or Top of the Rock, and then, by looking at Manhattan from somewhere off the Island, for example, one of the walks along Brooklyn Heights.

Anyway, new cycling gear helped me to have a toasty MTB ride out with the pooch this morning in -4C. For all those troubled with shin splints, take it easy while the ground becomes hard. Creates much more lower leg stress.
  • I do get concerned when I see most of you running 20 odd miles already. My schedule doesn't allow for those long runs until week 9 (another month). Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I stayed at the Affinia a few years ago Princess. It was reasonable and they do some good deal (e.g. extra nights for free). Although the location was good it was a long way from Central Park (about 2 miles if I recall) so not ideal my daily run.

Legs are quite still after 17 y/day. Not quite so cold here yet Tricky but snow has been falling all morning. If it settles, I'll be out tonight- love running in fresh snow!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

OO - The Affina 50 is closer to Central Park.

James - Nothing to get concerned about. Follow your own plan. I jsut like to do a ggod few 20 or more runs, which is why I'm up at that sort of distance already.

• Hurrah, my first Sunday "long" run, 13k and managed 13.92 by the time I reached the village - foggy and drizzle......eeek  Looked back on the same run, last year on taper for Rome and I knocked 7 mins off it - wow.  Guess I was tired back then, and now fresh.

Just booked the train for Paris and am dead excited.  Done my 5k today, rest tomorrow and then 8 on Wed.  Counting down.

Hope you are all tip top.

Snow forecast tonight, -10 Thursday.  might have to get cross trainer dusted off soon, but I hope not.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks Eggy.

Dont know what you are all complaining about. Its not too bad weather down in the southwest!

• Expecting 15cms of the fluffy stuff tonight. And given the temps, it's going to stay around for a very long time. Well, might make some nice photo opportunities but have to agree with you OO, running in the forests with fresh snow down is heavenly. Everything looks so fresh and pure, and all the ambinet sounds are hushed down. If I had my good legs on, I'd get up really early and run a circuitous route into work. image

1T - amazing what difference rest can make hey?! Well done you.

• Onetit - there's nothing like booking a train ticket to raise the excitement levels. Regardless of the destination. 

I've checked my plan, and I don't actually hit 20 miles until March image. However, there are a lot of medium-length (11-12 miles) midweek runs, as well as the LSR. It's a different approach to what I'm used to, so we'll see if it works. I'm particularly looking forward to the week that involves 6+12+12+5+20 miles image.

Only a light sprinkling of snow here this morning, although there was a big fat fox dancing around outside my window when I pulled the blinds this morning. Today's news is that I've finally managed to get some French lessons arranged (er, language lessons, not any other sort). My vocabulary is pretty much restricted to food and running at the moment, and I live entirely in the present tense, so I'm hoping I can progress beyond 'I am being overtaken by a banana'.image

• Hi all. I too was impressed by those of you already at 20 miles. My longest run so far has been 10 miles. 

Running Rodent- that sounds like one hell of a week! What plan are you following? 

We had a sprinkling of snow last night and a bit more around lunchtime today which hasn't settled. So we've got annoying slush/ice without any of the good bits of snow. Was a bit treacherous on my run this evening- got me considering getting a gym membership for the next 7 weeks (the other thing pushing me towards that is that now I'm back at university, with the levels of central heating that that entails- it's so much harder to motivate yourself to go out in the cold when you're inside and already freezing!) 

I was wondering what you guys do for stretching? At the moment I do nothing and I know thats bad and I need to work on it. Felt a bit of a niggle in my calf today so I want to try and prevent that from getting worse. Have any of you used foam rollers? Are they any good? How do you use them? (I really have no idea..) 

• I'm now convinced my OH is trying o kill me and collect the insurance !

9 miles Fri 15 Sat and 5 Sun for a weeks total of 42.

Looking forward to having only a half o run this weekend at Helsby
  • Well forcast says: -20 -30C for me TD. Plus strong wind.

Reaading about your mileage puts waaaaaay on the back of the queue. I' m doing 3-5M at the mo but anyting after 2 year break is good.

I told my Gran about signing for Half M. Well I should have k??own better.

Danirrr are you wearing any socks with your VFF? I found them much better for snowy roads but with the temperature like that my toes are frozen.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR that sounds like my week this week - 7, 12, 10, 5, 20 for a total of 54 miles... image

No snow here....yet....

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Megs - I used to be really lazy about stretching until I picked up a calf injury a couple of years ago. Now I make sure I do a good stretching routine after every run.

yer_maj - Bloody hell 54 miles already. I though my 47 miles for this week was a lot (9 + 9 + 5 + 20 + 4).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Greetings from Geneva. not too cold (in comparison to Belgium) and luckily I flew out before the snow hit. Hubby arrived home an hour ago from work image

Am absolutely shattered. Ive got a training in the morning and i'm stuck up at 1am finishing off the preparation I should have done today... it's going to be a long night ahead - I think!image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Back home in Atlanta after a great weekend.  Will give you the details tomorrow.

Here is going past the Everest roller coaster in the Animal Kingdom (about halfway through the marathon). BRF in behind me in the teal shirt number 5310

/members/images/698298/Gallery/disney1.jpg

• Megs - it's the P&D 12 week plan. That's the peak mileage week, but it'll be a while before I get to it. At the moment I'm trying to work out if I have the departmental cold - nose started running last night, but weirdly it's now stopped. I wish it would just get on with it! Perhaps my nose is doing intervals?

Dannir - I love that Emmy posts from Switzerland but you're the one that puts up a picture of a snowy mountain in the background.

Kaz - good luck with the interview (it is today, isn't it?).
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday to meeeeeeeeeee  imageimage

I'm off to celebrate with a 12 mile run.  Macbeth tickets (James McAvoy, yum yum) and Kinky Knickers have got the day off to a good start....

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday yer_maj.

Dannirr - Great photo.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday YM - Kinky Knickers?

• Happy Birthday Yer_Maj imageimage Hope the 12 miles go well!

RR - Yes 10am today.......Thank You.

Another gorgeous still, frosty morning here. No snow.....yet. No doubt the awful weather is waiting for me to be back running before it hits! Its been stunning weather for the last 2 weeks!image

Did the 3 mile dog walk last night, followed by another session on the X trainer this morning. All ok although I did have to have an afternoon nap yesterday.image Doctors tomorrow for check up, and possibility of return to work on Friday.image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Good luck with your interview.

• Thanks for the warm introduction guys! Some of you can't half run a bit. 78 miles?! Inspiring.

Lots of other long runs going on here too, it's great to see that it's coming together for lots of you. Speaking of long runs, I've been doing a few 5,6,7 mile runs but I'm heading out for my first long run since the Berlin marathon at the end of Sept, and I have no idea how far I would be able to go. I was looking to go 15 miles or so. I know I should be listening to my body, but as I'll be doing a straight out and back, I don't want to get 7.5 miles from home and have to walk back.. Is 15 miles too ambitious? Anyone been in my situation before?

Ps Kaz good luck with your interview!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tommy - If the furthest you've ran since late September is 7 miles I wouldn't jump to 15. Maybe try and fit a midweek easy paced 9 miles in and if that feels ok then try a 10/11 LSR at the weekend. Jumping from 7 to 15 screams of injury risk to me.

• Thanks folks

Interview over, all went 'ok' - I think! Find out next week.