2013 Outlaw Bike Feed/Support Thread

Once again, it seems there is going to be a large Pirate presence at Outlaw on 7th July and what better way to show your support for them (and the others taking part) than being at the Pirate Feedstation.

I think those that have helped over the last three years will agree that a great time was had helping out all the triathletes and providing each and every one of them with a smile and a cheer as they grabbed their bottles.  And surely, nothing beats being able to shout abuse at those pesky Tripetalkers image.

If you need any further evidence of how much the Feed Station was appreciated last year, please read last year's thread

It would be great to get a gang of us together again and repeat the success of previous years.  And as Barley reckons this year's Feed Station is gonna be the best one yet, I reckon it's a great oppurtunity to be a part of it

We need at least 20 to make the Feed Station run smoothly, so hurry and get your names down image

Volunteers
Barley

Comments

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger

• Does Barley know he's volunteered?? image

• If he knows what's good for him, he will do as he is told image

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai

can testify to how beneficial/ cool the aid station is image 

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai
    Soup Dragon

Brilliant time had last year. Count me in. image 

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai
    Soup Dragon
    Meldy

Its pay back time   image

• Ooo Melds....did I see you have challenged Barlos to the Big Swim on the Saturday?

• Schmunks  - in practice, what does this mean on the day?  What time do we have to get there?  What time do we get back to Holme wotsit?  I'm not about to start whinging that I want to do this, that or the other, because if I commit to doing it, I'll do it as required but I just wondered if you could give us a quick overview of how the day breaks down, please?

Am I also right in thinking that Outlaw kindly permit free camping and a free swim the day before?

Thank you muchly.

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Ooo Melds....did I see you have challenged Barlos to the Big Swim on the Saturday?

Its hardly a challenge   image

• Thanks for the query Mouse; it has given me the chance to give more detail as to what is expected rather than have things come as a surprise nearer the time image

Barlos needs a hardcore of maybe 7 or 8 people who can help set up the Feed Station ie setting up tables, laying out bottles, bottle collection area, pirate flags etc etc.  The normal start time for this is around 7am.

Then extra bodies are needed to actually hand out the bottles, mix the High 5, replenish stocks of bottles, etc.  The time for this is really dependent on where the Bike Feed Station is on the bike route. Last year, the main contingent arrived after the swim and that was perfect timing.

Basically it wll be all hands on deck from the start the first cyclist arrives.  If the Feed Stattion is passed twice we have a fairly continuous stream for 4-5 of hours.

OSB are in contact and keep us updated with the position of the final cyclist, In previous years, people have been able to leave the Feed Station as the bike flow has decreased.  I think the last cyclist went passed at around 3pm last year.

I would suggest to Barlos that, if they want, those who were there at 7am are given first refusal on being the first to leave. But at the end of the day, we are all adults and it would be nice to think we could all sort ourselves out and not leave anyone in the proverbial

It's also worth pointing out that the Feed Station is not suitable for really young children or pets.  It is also not a spectator's area.  If you use it as such, you will be roped in to help.  image 

All I can say is last year all volunteers were able to enter the Big Swim of their choice, however this was only revealed about a week before hand.

I know in 2011 camping was free, but can't remember for 2012.  Maybe someone else (Raf or Seren?) could remind me?

• If anyone has any queries/concerns about what happens on the Bike Feed station, please post them here and someone will answer them for you image

• We paid for the camp site last year, but it was only a few quid, and its a fairly reasonable set up.

No doubt we will grab a Pirate area again image

• I believe there was some talk about free camping.....But i needed electric hookup so it wasn't applicable......not sure if the free camping was in another field........

the3 camping was very cheap to be honestimage

It would be great to have a pirate support station.i had great fun there last yearimage

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai
    Soup Dragon
    Meldy
    Muffin
    Slowerthanilook

Count me and slower in. Only one of us on the station at a time as we will relay the ankle biters

• Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai
    Soup Dragon
    Meldy
    Muffin
    Slowerthanilook
    Mouse

• Just to add what Schmunks said, although this is a hard busy day and the cyclists are relying on us (very different to the mile 17 at VLM) its sooooooooooo much fun as well so don't be put off by that. The time whizzed by last year and we still had loads of time left to support people on the run at the end.

I stayed in a hotel last year but think I'll camp this time. And do the swim on Saturday. 

Yeh!!!! Bring it on. image

• How did you get out to the venue, Soupy?  I heard some discussion re lack of parking and closed roads?  Just trying to remember where it is and if I can ride out (and if will have time to by 7am but I suspect we will all be up at 4am anyway sherping the athletes.)

• I drove there Mouse. The roads weren't closed and there was a bit of a yard area for parking, but it depends on where they put us this year as it could well be somewhere different. If its hard to get to I'm sure between us we can work out lifts and things. A couple of people biked there so yes thats also an option. I wouldn't worry about it till we know where we will be based, especially as the bike route is being altered this year. 

• Mouse

I rang OSB several moths before and asked the question about if you marshal do you get free swim and they said yes, but to call back nearer the time and register. This was done, all you need is to have an email account registered with OSB which you will have as you did Outlaw last year. You do have to request that you go on the pirate feed station and also request what swim distance you want to do.

Re the venue

If its the same as last year, we (Rafiki, in case the police are watching) opened a gate to a unused old farm house and everyone parked there and I don't think any of the roads where closed

• i just phoned them a couple of days before and sked to go on the free swim and they sorted it image

• Thank you all. I just like to know 'stuff'.  Not so much focussing on the financials, more the logistics.

• sadly we are not going to be at Outlaw this year - refereeing duties are keeping us close to home that weekend at the Sussex Tri Festival

have fun

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

If its the same as last year, we (Rafiki, in case the police are watching) opened a gate to a unused old farm house and everyone parked there and I don't think any of the roads where closed

I ain't say nuffin till i spoke to my lawyer! And my finger prints ain't on that shoppin trolley we stole either!! image

• Hahahaha, I forgot about the trolley!!!  I was about to put my name on the list until i remembered i'm actually running in a relay team, so best hang around transition image (in case I can't get back in time....I don't want the stress!)

• count me in - hopefully it won't be as bliddy freezing this year image

Volunteers

Barley
    Rafiki
    Mrs Digger
    Mr Zuvai
    Soup Dragon
    Meldy
    Muffin
    Slowerthanilook
    Mouse
    Fraggle

• Rafiki wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

I ain't say nuffin till i spoke to my lawyer! And my finger prints ain't on that shoppin trolley we stole either!! image

Ohhhhhh yes they were     image

• I'm gutted that I can't make it this year.  I need to concentrate on my swimming and there is a training camp that week that I'm booked onto.  Sorry guys but this year my goals come first.