Options

Which Marathon training plan to follow for 4 hour time, any recommendations?

Hi guys, hope the trainings going well. I'm looking at a 4 hour time for London next year, just wondered what  marathon training programmes you guys follow as I'm sure there will be a few.

Thanks

Comments

• Options

What's your PB Mark ? Picking a schedule thats too advanced or too easy for you might not be the best idea ?

• Options

4.40 for a marathon.

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

For my first marathon, I followed the runners world no-nonsense advanced plan and it was pretty good, I didn't have the best result as I set off too fast and suffered in the unseasonal heat but that wasn't the plans fault.  The intermediate plan may fit your time goal.

I will depend upon you, and your current level of running ability.  McMillan gives a 1:54 HM time as equivalent to a 4:00 Marathon, but I'd be more pessimistic and say you need to be sub 1:50 for the HM to have any chance of running sub-4 for the marathon. 

• Options

Thanks, is the runners world onme any good?

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I thought the runners world one was pretty good.  I'm going to start a schedule from  "Advanced marathoning" by Pfitzinger & Douglas next week, as I've got a place in VLM 2013.  This book is really good at explaining the reasons for the various sessions that are included in the schedules (and similar sessions also appear in the RW schedules).

The RW schedule was pretty tough, but I was well prepared for my marathon.   

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Forty minutes is a lot to chop off.  

What's your most recent race time for another distance?  Put that into a pace calculator such as McMillan, and see what it thinks you are capable of.

• Options

It was a 10k in 47 minutes.

• Options

I was also a stone and a half  heavier then I will be this time. I started training earlier in December to get an extra stone and a bit off this time to help so I'll be about 12 stone 8 pounds this time.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How's the training going? Did you find a good plan?
  • Options

No yet, still looking but had a few issues with my running, I had an ACL reconstruction 8 months ago and I find it hard to run  on the treadmill, feels like the knee is tight or strained, yet outside when I run its fine, nothing at all. Im upto 12 miles for my long Sunday run now and 14 planned this Sunday with a  fast 10k on a Thursday. So im wondering how to get round this, I do all my speedwork on the treadmill, there is a brand new state of the art running track near  me I could use for speedwork.

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Why not do your speed work outside?  If your racing is going to be on the road, then it makes sense to do your fast running on the same surface.