Tuesday 15th January 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics: I have a picture pinned to my wall

What:4m Steady on a cold and frosty morning.

Why: Habit Brrr. Okay run. Much better going out in the cold than in wind and rain.

Coffee calling.

Nephews 21st birthday today, so he's coming through from Edinburgh to celebrate it with us and stay overnight.

Back later.

No snow up here..

Comments

• Morning.

Enjoy the celebrations birkmyre.

I don't think we've had any more snow but will find out when I walk Grace how bad it is underfoot. I 'should' be on the bike today - which would either mean the cold of the garage or the heat of the gym but I'm tired, my glands are up and I'm tapering (though I'm not convinced that Brass is going to go ahead with the forecast snow). Those are my excuses.

What:                    nothing
    Why:                     see above
    Last hard:             last year
    Last rest:              7/1

Lyrics - I think I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Lyrics: had to google.

What: a walk this evening, punctuated by some running. Hopefully the pavements will be ok. May walk during the day as well: looks like it is going to be clear, dry, sunny...but very cold. I agree with you, Birks,  much better than wind and rain.

Yesterday: failed to walk. Not much puts me off if I have the right gear on, but went to a meeting in lovely sunshine, and came out to horizontal icy rain...and the wrong clothes, so went for a cup of tea at friends' instead.

Wabo: have you gone yet?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Birks - enjoy the 21st celebrations!
    Emz - arm fine thanks, superficial scratches, dense leaf fall is an ideal 'crash mat' , not that I plan on trying it again too soon though...
    LmH - yeah, longest streak ever, but effort level, club speedwork aside, is seldom pushing it.
    what - club night, schedule says hills, oh goody
    why - and on the second day He devised speedwork
    last rest - 4 and a bit weeks
    last hard - prob saturdays longer run.

No snow either at home or in London today, if anything slightly milder....calm before the storm?

• A long walk with Grace this morning has confirmed that I shall not be running or riding outside until the snow has cleared, it's deadly underfoot. Just hope it's ok for Sunday though as both York and here are forecast snow on Friday and Saturday I'm not too optimistic.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What: rest day and entered two oceans half marathon image
    Why: it's in the plan/newbies entry opened this morning
    Last hard: trying to work out how to enter this race!

Glad I got a place, though as OH had to enter for me as I forgot to take my British debit card to work (the German one doesn't work online) he put in the wrong passport number.  I emailed them to change it, so I hope it's all ok!

Dustin glad you're ok!
    LMH hope the glands go down, glad you're being sensible
    Ale I don't blame you for going for tea instead of icy rain!

-10C here this morning, couldn't find my scraper for the car so had to remove snow by hand at 6am!  Glad it's a rest day for me...

Have a good one all. 

• Pammie: Welcome back!  

Paddy: good to see you. Can't access Facebook but it sounds like pulled of a solid event. Congrats!

LMH: Sounds like a great walk. Hope you feel better by the weekend and fingers crossed BM is going to go ahead.

Emzap: yep, it's mighty cold at the moment! Glad we have a garage.

what: 8 and a bit with strides
    why: day 1 of P&D
    last hard: getting warm again after my run
    last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: no

• P&D Wassat/
    AH....did you stretch out that cuppa?
    Birkmyre, enjoy that 21st.
    Monmouth clear today but Christmas card scenery at work in Abertillery. 20 miles of journey clear as a bell then into Narnia. Consultant confirmed osteoarthritis in shoulder, fingers, hips and toes (Sounds like a song) and advised to maintain moderate exercise and step up oily fish foods etc and oh...keep taking the tablets. Must get some shares in Galpharm. Possibly 5 years of road running left or up to 10 if I stick to treadmill, grass and trails. B*&&*x. Ho humm.
    Lyrics: yes
    What: 8 miles road and trail(Maybe hardimage)
    Why: Cos I still canimage
    Last Hard: Yesterday's 10k sesh on treadmill. Fartleking can be fun inside
    Last rest: Last Saturday

• Bright and sunny at a balmy 4°C here - just heading out ...

• Afternoon

What 8 sort of tempo
    Why Tuesday = speedwork
    Lyrics No

Yesterdays lyrics were 'Frosty the Snowman'.

2 miles easy, 2miles hard, 1 mile easy, 2 miles hard, 1 mile easy this morning. Not anywhere near the pace of last Friday but a decent enough starting point. Will probably look for an HM in September to target if the Spring races go well.

Have you stretched yet today Alehouse? nag nag nag!

• Straycelt: P&D = Pfitzinger & Douglas - they do write some decent training plans.

• Afternoon!

Was grey until late morning, and then bright sunshine. And some flexing of my lower limbs has been done. More later before, during and after my "run".

Straycelt: sorry to hear about your arthritis... I, too, have it,  but just in my thumbs and in my big toes. Generally I am not troubled by it although it is worse when it is damp. I was given orthotics to deal with the feet...and several in the medical profession feel that it is the orthotics that caused the Achilles problem.

The P and D book is called "Advanced Marathoning" and has plans for up to 55 miles a week, 55 to 70, 70 to 85 and 85 plus. Worth a look at...not that I will be marathoning some time soon.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Well legs STRETCHed today. 11 miles including the icy muddy trail up our little local hill. Blue skies and bright sun. No snow. Jacket left at home image
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard: Saturday

• What: it was cold so no walking, and no stretching during my 15 minute run. Might not sound much but it feels a major step in the right direction. (Stretched before and after). Wanted to try a "longer" run before QofP tomorrow. No idea of, and not really interested in, how far it was...

Why: garmin packed up this morning. Exactly a year old and battery seems to have packed in (forerunner 110). Suggestions anyone?
  • Chickadee and AH thanks for the info. AH....no orthotics for me then image Arthritis = condition so just need to find a method of management.  Found new way of holding pens, for instance and gloves are the waay ahead for at least 6 months per yearimage

Doctor actually recommended scotch, ibrupofen and paracetamol as pre sleep analgesics although stressed not all three at the same timeimage

Damn, shoild spell check/edit pre-posting

• Alehouse - email Garmin technical support and explain the issue, at worst they should offer you a refurb for around £50 and at best they might accept that it's unreasonable to expect a battery to fail after a year and replace it for free - I've never had a battery go in a Garmin.

You're training well OH.

That's a pain SC but your doc has probably been conservative in his estimate  of the running career you have left. How about taking up cycling to supplement the running miles and eke them out a bit?

Quiet enjoyed my rest day and didn't get twitchy - a sure sign that I needed it.

• Ale I agree with LMH. Garmin technical support are excellent.
    I have heard of battery failure, but not after a year. The guy that had the failure abused his GPS by leaving it permanently docked onto his charger when he wasn't using it. Once it's charged, undock it. Periodically give it a really good discharge by leaving it on overnight. The modern batteries are pretty good.

Rest day LMH? That's most unlike you.

I decided to go for a swimble, and despite advice to the contrary from on here, boshed out another mile. Focus was on the "pull", and keeping the arm turnover and effort level a bit higher. The lane I chose eventually collected a quicker swimmer and I had to do a bit of work to keep out of the way. Result? 43:19. It certainly was a result! That's the region of my training pb. 

Weather fine but chilly here. 1 degree when I looked. I want to run.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What - 7.79m on Kenyan Hills (and 5.5m last night Easy)
    Why - Mara Trg
    Last hard - Tonight
    Last Rest - Last Thurs

Take care

• Thanks for the advice LMH, Blisters. I am really careful to let the battery run flat before I charge it up again.