Why can't I lose my belly and get a 6 pack

13»

Comments

• How about this for a piss take on the 5-a-day. According to the ads - this has one of your five a day - says it all really.

• Bollocks picture didn't load - try again 

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/content/dam/mcdonaldsuk/item/live/mcdonalds-Fruitizz--Medium.png

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

maybe you should run more Ric, as I'm sure those 1,650 posts of yours have been over the last year image

A whole yearimage

There's some around here who'd do that many in one night!

BTW, I imagine a real paleo diet would consist mainly of starvation followed by a massive blow out on meat.

I mean, where in hell would a paleolithic human find vegetables, fruit and nuts?

Meat and anything else that Bear G would tackle more like.

🙂

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

also ran - but i think avit is saying they burn those calories off training, hence are zero carb remain (or thereabouts) and why you can see the 6 pack.

Yes, that is what we were saying right at the beginning before avit came along with his huge carb based chip on his shoulder. Get rid of the fat and there is some muscle under there. But life is too short and I choose to have my cake and eat it.

• I would rather have some toast - run 6 miles and be a teensy bit chubby than only do crossfit and eat a paleo diet but have the body of jessica innis.  You make your choices in life.image

• Pretty sure that most elite distance runners will have a six pack. Most of the women at the Olympics had defined stomach muscles. Couldn't see the men as only the women display their stomachs.

Both the p and d plan and PR stress the importance of core work in running.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    GymAddict wrote (see)

I would rather have some toast - run 6 miles and be a teensy bit chubby than only do crossfit and eat a paleo diet but have the body of jessica innis.  You make your choices in life.image

That's my take on it. Food is one of my passions in life and while I like to stay fit and healthy I never have wanted a Men Health cover type body.

I do the exercises I do because I enjoy them. I also eat what ever I want as long as I enjoy it too.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I've got a six-pack in the changing room at the gym but I think they have special lights in there.  I eat a lot more carbs than meat.

Can anyone tell me what was the life expectancy of Paleolithic Man?  image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Can anyone tell me what was the life expectancy of Paleolithic Man?  image

Are we removing modern medicine, living arrangements and natural predators? If not that comment is absurd.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Yes, hence the winky.

• The paleo diet (despite lots of nay-sayers) is pretty healthy - so long as you aren't a body builder type who sees it as an excuse never to eat a carb again.

Lots of veg, some fruit, some good quality lean protein and then the carbs of your choice - again in the quantity you choose.  For all that paleo is no grains - they are big into sweet pots and yams etc and you can get a lot of carbs from those.

I couldn't live forever with no bread though and the 'best' diet is always going to be one that you can stick to.

• Sorry, but you're all wrong. 

Clearly the only way to get a six pack is to buy one of the many variants of plastic ab machine that I see advertised each day on the telly.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/sixpk.jpg

Six pack anyone?

🙂

• nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room. Slendertone. duh.

• I saw a documentary recently that claimed that life expectancy actually went down when humans moved from a hunter gatherer lifestyle to agricultural one. But the explanation given was that that was more due to much greater exposure to contagious diseases rather than actual diet.
  • Darren Lyons is reselling his implants if anyone is interested

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/23/1314121115021/Darryn-Lyons-on-Celebrity-008.jpg

You will need a pretty big frame to carry them off.

• Surrey, yes, that's right, paleobiologists theorise that cross species viral and bacterial infection became a significant mortality risk once we began farming, and spending more time around animals. Read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, which has a chapter or two on the development of agriculture.

• This is a great article. But, there are simple ways to do this. Not sure you agree or not. I wasted so much time in inefficient methods to achieve results. you could understand what i mean here,

http://nepzfitness.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/six-pack-is-too-easy-just-follow-this.html
  • The diet  is the key part of you getting into shape. No amount of exercise will make up for a bad diet.

Reduce/eliminate:  soft drinks, alcohol, processed foods, red meat, dairy and gluten.

Eat more vegetables and drink more water. Lean protein sources like: nuts, fish, eggs and protein powders.

Lift weights 2 or 3 times per week and  2 or 3 easy cardio work outs per week.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I can do a 'plank' for 15 minutes plus. But to show the 'six pack' off, I'd have to starve and dehydrate myself down to less than 50kg.

However, at my age, I'm past my sell by date, so I'll pass on this narcissistic regime and go direct to the fridge where the beer is kept.

One comes to terms with one's limitations.

🙂

• This thread has just confirmed how crazy some people get when it comes to discussing nutrition. As if 'their' way is the only way. image

The original question is essentially 'how can I reduce my body fat'? The answer is surely that there are two main ways (1) increase your consumption of calories through running and weight training (more muscles = greater underlying calorie consumption) and (2) consume fewer calories, which can be achieved in a number of ways but is likely to involve some degree of denial (beer, chocolate, pizza) which is not fun.

If you sustain this lifestyle for a few months you will lose body fat & eventually gain a sixpack (assuming you throw in the odd sit-up). You will also have fewer friends and be invited to less stuff because you don't drink and you are picky with food. image

Thats my take, at least.

• Losing fat is not easy, but it is essentially about less calories in than expended. Usually this means cutting back on training which becomes harder with less energy.
    Direct ab work is not a big factor in a six pack, you can do some but if you are doing big compound lifts like squats, dreads, even chins you will get some ab work. Personally I do toes to bar after chin ups, from a hang, raise the toes to where the hands are. I found that to be the hardest ab exercise I can do.
    Best idea is to set a dedicated bloc of training and time to fat loss. Reduce training volume, reduce calories, usually by lowering the non essential element ;carbs.
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    • Ioads of sit-ups an running, but still don't have a six-pack,but having a lean stomach is also good.
    • Diet, low fat and combined with exercise will define the ab area, although some have it better than others.