Nausea and now vomiting after running

I've started to increase my training in preparation for my first marathon this year. This has been a gradual over a period on months now and I'm running between 30-40miles a week now.

I've run a few events from 10k's to half marathons over the 2 years I've been running and have suffered a bit with nausea for a few hours after pushing myself harder in these events,. This weekend however after a half marathon weekend I was violently sick for 2 hours afterwards. I've been ensuring I'm hydrated before the race and take on water during. I suffer with stitches if I eat too close to running so have breakfast approx 3 hours before then a cereal bar closer to the race. Usually I'll have a drink like powerade straight after finishing then try to get a meal in but this is hard until the nausea goes.

I've never suffered this badly before and I'm worried now about how I may be affected after  or even during the marathon.

I know I'm probably getting something very basic wrong here so I really would really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• When you say hydrating before?  When do you start?  Your hydration should come from the 24 hours before (at least), not the 3 hours before.  Are you sick after a 10k, or just a half mara?

I'm no expert in this I'm afraid, but I'd take a good look at what you're eating before (common items maybe?) - see if that has anything to do with it.  Also, after a race, I would have something like chocolate milk myself.  Not sure a Sports drink is the best thing once you're in recovery.  Anyway, I find too much powerade makes me feel sick - try a different brand, or gels instead.  BUT, don't try all of these at once.  One thing at a time and eliminate slowly, so you can really establish a cause.

Not sure if that's any use at all, but good luck

• Hi there thank you for your post.

My hydrating definately does start at least the day before any race. I ran my first 20 miler a couple of weeks ago and felt sick for a good while after and had to go straight back to bed! The half marathon though was first race where I have actually now been sick and started to think I'm going wrong big time somewhere. I will start trying some of your suggestions in my training runs.

Really appreciate the info.

• Hi Katie,

This has happened to me many times and especially after a marathon ( i have done 6 ) I havent been able to figure out quite why it happens but i have found it best after a race to keep on the move and sip a sugary drink slowly and soon as i can eat something starchy like a bread roll this normally works, alot of people have told me its because your body is working so hard pumping blood to your muscles that it starves the brain slightly causing you to feel slightly dizzy which in turn makes you feel sick.

Good luck

Dean

• this has happened to me too, the sickness was accompanied by a splitting head ache. i only ever threw up once and I went to the Drs the following day as it worried me. He told me to stop running long distance! I said that wasn't an option so he gave me some tablets called diclofenac sodium, or something like that. Now I take one before any long run and always have them as part of my post race pack. He did tell me why I was getting headachey and feeling/being sick but I can't remember what he said now, it was some time ago.What Dean says sounds plausible though.

If you're worried, go and see your doc. 

• Thanks for your posts. I've still got a bit of time left so will try some of your suggestions to see if I can I can find anything that eliviates this problem. Fingers crossed!  image

• Katie - are you upping the pace too much... sustained fast and long running could be making you feel ill.  Slow down on the longer runs and see if that helps. 

Another thought... Which powerade drink are you drinking?  Perhaps try out another brand - I use rego and love it.  very kind on the stomach (I love the choc flavour one)?

• That was my first thought, too fast. Also do a gradual cool down, don't just stop. Walk around for 10 mins after your run.

Try diluting the the powerade with water - high concentrate sugar solutions can upset the tum as your body's shunted blood away from digestive organs during running to power muscles. Also the body uses fluid to dilute high sugar drinks, so this can further dehydrate you.

For a DIY sports drink, do half fruit juice, half water and a pinch of salt.

• I am training for a hilly 10 mile run which is in early September, I have only done three 10k runs and have been running since October last year.  Last night I ran my first 8 miles, and afterwards I felt extremely light headed and sick.  I am meant to be doing a 10 mile run on Sunday, which was a training run for my hilly 10 mile run, this one is meant to be flat/undulating, so not as hilly.  Any advice on this, should I try and do the race?  Any advice on the feeling sick and light headed?
  • Hi well done on your first 8 mile run. I found that taking on a milkshake straight after the run has really helped and I have now stopped being sick. I drink The ForGoodness Shakes pretty much straight after long runs and find these great. I think I was leaving it too long after the longer runs to re-fuel and this caused blood sugar to drop and the sickness.

The light headedness may be beacuse you are pushing yourself quite hard also, what pace is your training i.e. what % of your estimated race pace are you running at? Are you hrydrating well in advance of your longer runs?

• I get a light headed, nauseas feeling if I've pushed myself on the last bit of a run. Plus any running surpresses my appetite even if I don't feel icky.

I can eat a small bowl of cereal, fluids etc, do a morning run and not want to eat anything for hours afterwards, sometimes 6 hours. This was not good as I was feeling lightheaded and losing weight.

So now I literally force myself to have some chocklit milk afterwards and that seems to re-set everything. Still can't face much food though but it's better than nothing.

• To be honest I didn't drink that much before my run the other day as I didn't expect that I could run that far, I did push myself as the furthest that I have been running is approx 6.5 miles.  Ok i have taken all this advice on board about hydrating before and drinking milky drinks after, but the question is, do I try and do this 10 mile Great Warford run on Sunday, what do you think?
  • As long as you are recovering well from your runs I would attempt the 10miler but probably take it steady as this is a new distance for you. However, if it is taking you a while to recover from your long runs then it may be better to wait and build up gradually if you have time.

If your main focus is the hilly 10 mile run then do not blow yourself out on this race but use it as a training run instead. By taking it at a good pace this may give you the confidence for your hilly10. It is so important to hydrate well in advance even the day before, I've learnt this the hard way! Mix some shorter faster runs and hill sets in with you long runs for overall preparation.

• this is an old thread but hoping someone reads my new post:

Training for London Marathon 2010 (3 wks to go); did last long training run yesterday - 22 miles; think i was fairly well hydrated, had 4 weetabix at 8.30am; started run 10.30am; mild day with cloud some sun so not too hot; took it slow - 6.20/km first 10 miles - alot lower than 5.30 marathon pace; & average HR 141 - normally is alot higher;, felt good after 10 miles; drinking PSP energy drink and took 2 gels; at 15 miles feeling tired and slightly light headed, and found last 6 miles very very tough - had to walk/run/walk last few miles; vomited after and felt sick for 3 hrs after = WHY?

i wasnt de-hydrated, it wasnt too hot, i took plenty carbs, i ran a slow pace; so was it because:

a) i ate a thai curry nite before?
    b) had a big breakfast? (i do find it makes me feel sick if i eat too close to exercise)
    c) my energy drink does not agree with me? (it is alot sweeter than , eg. powerade)
    d) was i still tired from my 18 miler 7 days earlier?
    e) were my glycogen stores really depleted?
    f) was it the snickers bar and dairy milk i bought and ate at mile 16? (i did this to try and
    give me some carbs and i did feel a bit better but only temporarily)
    g) all of the above or something else?

i have done alot of training for the VLM, including a few long runs in past 4 months (16, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20) so am used to the distance; i felt sick after the 18 miler too, though the run itself was great (felt v strong right to end - av. pace 5.50, last 3 miles at 5.20 pace)

anyone help?

chris taylor

•  I too have a l ong history of nausea and vomiting after a race lasting for 3 to 4 hours. I thought I had solved it by using For Goodness Shakes recovery drink but the last time I did a half marathon, I threw it up in the car on the way home! Iknow I sweat profusely so am careful about hydration and use Blok Shots for nutrition during longer runs, but have not been doing this for some time, relying instead on jelly babies. Before a long run I only have a glass of smoothie and oats as I often run early and can't get up enough in advance  to eat more. - maybe this is not enough?

It is rare for this to happen after traininhg runs but it has happened when I have pushed myself. A few weeks ago I even experienced this after a lovely, stress free 11 mile road and cross country run with friends.  I was aware that  I felt unusualy drained after 6 miles but pressed on.

Am due to run in the Brighton Hlalf on Feb 17th and am viewing it with trepidation and considering not running because of this problem.  Any thoughts?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Old thread. Bugger!
    waste of time
    Who brings these back to life?
    Start a new one please

🙂