Inov8s/Muddy racing

Hey guys,

Thinking of picking up a pair that'll be good for extremely muddy XC and also hill racing (usually 90% mud and rock). I was thinking of mudclaw 330s as one of my friends loves them. So 2 qs...

1) Do you recommend?

2) Do they run small, or big?

3) Any sources for a not toooo expensive pair?

Thanks!

Comments

• I've found inov8's to be brilliant. Haven't used the mudclaw but have loved running in my X-Talon and Baregrip. Both come up quite narrow (this suits me) but run true to size. They are an expensive brand but, having just had my Baregrips replaced FOC, I've been happy with mine.

Go Outdoors often do the Mudclaw cheap, maybe Pete Bland too.... Unlikely you'll get the new ones on deal for a while.

To add; I run alot in the Brecon Beacons and it does get claggy up there.
  • Sportspursuit did have a flash sale this week on Inov8shoes. Dunno if its still on
  • just if you want to look at something else as well, saloman speedcross 3 are on sale at quite a few places right now. 

• but they are shat in the mud though, no?

• Speedcross are ok in Mud Sean, not as good as a Fellcross - X-Talon or Mudclaw but much better then your avg road/trail hybrid or Adidas Kanadia..

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have not used mudclaws but I love inov8 shoes. I mainly run in the f-lite 195 or the x-talon 190 in the winter. Great shoe in the mud and very light. The mudclaws have always received a good write up so I think you would be safe going for them.

Size wise I just take my normal size in them, I ahve pretty wide feet and have no problems with the f-lites or x-talon which are there performance last.

Best price. No idea, check the usual online places for them. peteblandsports, wiggle, lakes runner, climbers shop ambleside or ebay!

• I've got both Speedcross 3s and the new Mudclaw 300s.  They are both great shoes in my opinion and I've used them both a lot over the past few wet and muddy weeks.

The Mudclaws are definitely better in thick mud - no question. You really can feel the difference, especially on slopes. The traction is amazing.  So for really muddy routes or wet fells I'd choose the Mudclaws.

But the Speedcross are fine in moderate mud and fine on slopes too (though the insole scrunches up a bit on wet steep downhill). The Speedcross are more cushioned and I'd prefer them if I was out for most of the day.  And they are miles better on hard surfaces.  You wouldn't want to go very far at all on road in the Mudclaws but in Speedcross the odd mile or two on road is fine.

Fitting wise I think the Innovates are narrower than the Speedcross so I get a half size bigger than what I actually need for the length.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Mudclaws are great in muddy/slippy/wet rocks terrain - the number afterwards just denotes the weight of the shoe btw.

Start Fitness usually have last season's colours at a discount and I think if you look on the right side homepage of RW there is a discount voucher code to use. Start Fitness also do their own brand - More Mile - and I've noticed a very rugged soled fell/trail shoe for a fraction of the cost of the well known brands. I don't know how they rate on quality, but other More Mile products I've purchased have stood the test of time.

PS - I have a pair of Addidas Kanadia as well, but these are more of a trail shoe and are not 'grippy' enough for fells/mud/wet rocks.

• I had started a new thread before seeing this but it seems to be the same thing, I am looking at either a pair of x talon 212 or the fellcross for an ultra I am running in march. I wanted the x talons but am a bit unsure wether they will be a bit hard of the feet over 50k ? I ran the yorkshireman marathon last year and all the x talon wearers I spoke to seemed happy with them. both are £75 from sportshoes.com

• ScallywagSprint wrote (see)

1) Do you recommend?

2) Do they run small, or big?

3) Any sources for a not toooo expensive pair?

1. Definitely recommend mudclaws - nothing better in the mud/wet IMHO. The 330s and 272s are no more and have been replaced by the 300. There will also be a new lighter race shoe (265) out in a few weeks.

2. I am size 8 shoe and always take an 8 in Inov-8s too.

3. As the 272s and 330s are no more you may be able to pick up a bargain in those. Otherwise all the usual suspects for the 300s but I personally would recommend Pete Bland sports.

• gee gee wrote (see)

I had started a new thread before seeing this but it seems to be the same thing, I am looking at either a pair of x talon 212 or the fellcross for an ultra I am running in march. I wanted the x talons but am a bit unsure wether they will be a bit hard of the feet over 50k ? I ran the yorkshireman marathon last year and all the x talon wearers I spoke to seemed happy with them. both are £75 from sportshoes.com

I find the x-talons a bit hard on the feet after 20K - prefer something with more cushioning such as the roclite. Of course a lot depends on the terrain - if its soft or hilly then you would probably be OK but hard pack flat trails, i'd go for something else.

• Pete

It is the sussex coastal trail which is 6000ft climb over 33 miles, so will be hilly but I imagine the ground will be pretty firm down there. As I am from up in the pennines I am used to bog hopping. Was also thinking of brooks pure grit as I road run in Brooks pure cadence. but I cant believe the grip is as good as they suggest it is

• Personally I'd go for something more cushioned and I also share your reservations on the Brooks. The chalk paths can be pretty slippy especially if its wet. Personally I'd go with a Roclite 295 but that's just my preference. Good luck whatever you choose - sounds like a grand day out!

• Hi Gee Gee

I done my last ultra (UMB40) in a pair of x-talons and they were utterly brilliant throughout, even during the six miles of road.

I've had a pir of Salomons SC3's and just feel that the company relies far to heavily on it's brand rather than functionality when it comes to trail shoes. 420g for a UK11 compared with 282g for the same size X-Talon, narrow, tall, unstable, poor grip.

I've just replaced my 300 mile old xtalons with crosslite XC and so far they have been very good.
  • Sean any thoughts on the new balance mt110, obviously not as agressive as the inov8 but look like a nice minimal trail shoe?

• great minimal trail shoe if you dont plan on getting into the muddy stuff, and cheap too these days.

• MT110 is a bloody great shoe if you land towards the front of your foot. The uppers look like they are made of cheese but I've had a heap of good, hilly miles out of mine. Best all rounder I've ever ran in I think.

Not as good as X-Taons/Baregrips in the clag but still surprisingly good.

You'll want to go a size up.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    MT 110s are great value. Wore them

In the deep mud on Sunday and they were not that grippy. But for the other 11 months of the year when we haven't had flooding they are great on the trails.

As said before maybe go a size up.
  • I think the way forward is x talons from sportsshoes.com for 75 quid and some mt110 from sportsdirect for 35 quid. £110 all in for two of the best shoes around cant be bad

• Mud-Claws here too for mud, I wear mine for the PECO-XC league (that my Club's racing in)
    They're fast enough, comfy without being too minimalist, drain water well, conform to the surface

Shazmo;

The 'Cheviots'??

I've got a pair, but wouldn't use htem for racing, as they're far too 'clumpy' feeling

For general off-road running they're fine, & worked very well in Mondays snow

They just feel 'wrong' compared to my Mud-Claws when asked to go fast (on sale for £24 at moment!!!!!!)

There is a new model 'Cheviot 2', with a fancier upper, but still the same sole

4 colour choices;

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=51533&strPageHistory=related