Sub 5 hour HIM

Comments

• Hard as nails, me.

Wouldn't you lean forward in that position to maintain the aero benefit?  Come to think of it, I wonder how many watts I'd save by running in an aero position?  It'd be loads compared with that inefficient upright running style I have now.  Those kenyans would taste my dust for sure.

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Wouldn't you lean forward in that position to maintain the aero benefit?

Probably would lean forward to prop myself up on handlebars! Biked in today - got to face the hill on the way home but mught chicken it and go longer route via Bocketts especially as damp and foggy. Will set lights to max!

• 10k road race today. Aim is for a PB but i don't see it happening!

• No PB for me today.. My arms gave up on me after about 2k and it was a struggle the rest of the way. Still got around in 35:11 so I'm happy enough. Not sure if it was giving blood this week or too much swimming that zapped my arms!

• You won't have recovered fully from giving blood - not enough for a 10k PB, anyway. Not unless you had the blood oxygenated and put back in this morning, that is image
  • Save that for an 'A' raceimage

• Good session today. Did a 2.5k swim session then 1,500m running repeats. Supposed to be on a track but it was frosted over so we did it on grass instead.

• I have just entered the Beaver, did it last year and it about killed me off- the run was a real killer. I found this tougher than doing Outlaw so I really want to improve on my time this year. It was the run that killed me off but I think the bike section is where I need to concentrate also. I am doing more hilly runs at the moment and will have a go at the hill repeats you mention Gary. Trouble where I live is it's quite flat so I have to ride quite away to get a decent hill. image  

• You can simulate the hills by getting yourself in to as big a gear as possible.

• B_Kins wrote (see)

No PB for me today.. My arms gave up on me after about 2k and it was a struggle the rest of the way. Still got around in 35:11 so I'm happy enough. Not sure if it was giving blood this week or too much swimming that zapped my arms!

Arms ? I friggin' knew I was doing something wrong when I was running !

• haha you're not the first person to question how my arms gave up before my legs image

this guy knows all about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66gMk7k7QgY

• Been a busy week so far. Did a sub 40 10k on Monday right before a 3k swim session. Tough turbo session last night and a 70 minute 10 mile run this morning. Easy swim this evening and I'm putting the feet up tomorrow..

I've noticed the European middle distance champs are in Barcelona in May the same weekend as the national champs here. I'll probably stick with the national champs but its tempting.. i've got until February to take a place in Barca.. Anybody done it before?

• imageHave taken advice Gary and beeen doing cycle sessions in a high gear. Did a good brick this morning after cycling a few slopes (not massive hills) in high gear and could feel the difference, so thanks for the tip.

• Massive swim session last night.. 3.5k myself then another 3.5k with the tri club. Big mix of pull buoy, paddles, kicking and normal swimming..

Also won a 5k race at the weekend - 16:54 wearing a Santa hat. Very happy with that! I started doing a longer run (15k-20k) and a tempo run (8k-10k) every week about 2 months ago. My running feels a lot stronger since.

• For strength training intervals on the turbo would you expect your HR to go pretty high? Mine was only reaching about 140bpm but i was pushing pretty hard. The set was repeats of 2mins high resistance followed by 2mins high cadence. Some of the guys were up around 180bpm.. that's where i would be if i was running.. i'm not sure why it stays low on the turbo

Followed up turbo with a 12k steady run last night.. calves and hamstrings were a bit tight at first but loosened out after a while.

• B_kins,

In general most of us have higher HRs running than cycling for an equivalent effort. Something to do with standing rather than sitting.

If you are a weaker cyclist than runner (many on runners world triathlete forum are) then this is very possible.  In cycling terms your legs are weak and so in terms of effort your legs may be at 100%  but heart just ticking over. Your heart is well trained through running - you just need to get more bike miles in so your legs can catch up with your hearts capability.

If this is not the case then you were just being lazy.

M..eface

• Makes a lot of sense.. I was thinking it was something along those lines. I definitely am weaker on the bike. Cheers!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I agree with m..eface that you might be more of a runner than a cyclist, I still struggle to get my HR up outside on the bike. But bigger geart turbo work is actually a lower HR workout. Although you need to be careful using HR on the trubo, I use HR to guage how hard I am working as I have no other measurement, but I know that my HR can differ a fair bit for similar workouts depending upon how tired I am, I turbo early mornings which means a suppressed HR too. Use HR as a measurement but also learn to train to perceived effort, so you can still guage how hard you are working around HR fluctutations due to fatigue.

• Sounds like a plan. I'll keep to my plan of focusing more on swim and run until February. Good to know why my HR is a bit lower on the bike.

Tried and won a new parkrun at the weekend. That's 3 different parkruns won. I'll try build on that this weekend with another new parkrun. 

• If you had done them 1 after the other I'd be impressed? Does it take longer to get changed than do the run? Mind I'm crap with laces (and running).

• image I've been considering doing 2 in a row. We have parkruns starting at 9 and 9.30. Its about a 10 minute drive between them so it would be possible but very difficult to make both starts... i'll give it a go this weekend!

• Time to get back into more structured training again.. took about a month off and didn't do much other than running a couple of races. 5 months to go until my main middle distance race of the year.. i'm thinking of doing another in August but I won't be racing that if i do it.

Very happy with where my running is, swim and bike are okay but could be better. Saying that, I haven't swam in near a month! The club swim tonight will be tough!

• 5 months....! Its only a half..;-)
  • Yeah this is the sub 5-hour thread, not the sub 5-month thread. image

I'll get my coat

• Anybody training with a power meter? I borrowed one for a 20 minute test. It was tough! Averaged 255W and 177 HR but I don't really know how to benchmark this... I got a formula:

Av. power for the 20 mins = 105% of ftp.
    ftp/weight = power to weight.

That comes out at 3.421W/Kg.. I'm not sure what to do with this number now..

• You should probably try to make it bigger.  Bigger is better, obviously.

(No, I don't know what it means either)

Vachery middle entered, so that's my HIM for July sorted.  Just got to get others for June & August now.

• I've just been told that 4 is the 'holy grail'. I'll try making it bigger next time!

Vachery looks like a great race. 

• B_Kins wrote (see)

Anybody training with a power meter? I borrowed one for a 20 minute test. It was tough! Averaged 255W and 177 HR but I don't really know how to benchmark this... I got a formula:

Av. power for the 20 mins = 105% of ftp.
    ftp/weight = power to weight.

That comes out at 3.421W/Kg.. I'm not sure what to do with this number now..

Can.of.worms.opening. image

Kind of....I use TrainerRoad for turboing and a PowerCal to capture turbo and road data. I use my FTP as a personal benchmark that I can improve on. Even using specific power I don't think that a good comparison can be made (inaccuracies of power meters, etc). So long as your PM is repeatable all is good.

What was the 20 minute test procedure?