Is nobody talking about Lance Armstrong?

Thought it might cause some reaction but I haven't seen any - just curious - no opinions out there?

Comments

• Yeah.. He's a cheating doping twat and best ignored....

• THis morning, someone I work with looked at the front of the FT and said - who is this guy Lance Armstrong...... it made me laugh and also realise that not all of us live in a world dominated by sport.

• He has diehard fans who believe that either (i) it's ok to cheat, everyone was doing it anyway or (ii) he never cheated and is now making a false confession to get back into sports / authorities off his back.  Such capacity for delusion is interesting, IMO.

• image heard he's being doing oprah?!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Lost any respect I had for him years ago due to his vile treatment of Greg Lemond. No interest in his stage managed it's not my fault performance for the cameras. What about the bullying and lives and careers of other cyclists you ruined to keep your dirty secret safe Lance?

• Agree, Eggy. 

Dude, he taped the show with Oprah earlier this week, and a lot of content has already been leaked.  She says (I'm paraphrasing) that he was well-rehearsed (well he would be) and while he confessed she didn't think it was completely open.  Don't think that should have surprised her.

• I agree with Nicole Cooke - Lance is a stealer of other people's dreams.

I hate that I ever spent my time watching him and cheering him on.

Total and utter wanker.

• sorry. joke, backfired.

i'll tune in. if only to see if he will cry. have a fiver bet with my nephew. i have my doubts.

im not fussed about the overall issue. ive always assumed cyclists were on drugs. the tour is too hard.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Being doped up is the least of the issues with Lance I'd say.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The difficulty dealing with the subject 'Armstrong' is that its nigh on impossible to identify with the guy.

Lets face it. His situation is pretty extreme.

Apart from having no testicles and yet still being classified as a man,

that ability of his to be able to soak up a decade of accusations about cheating is in a league of its own.

Most of us (with a conscience) would have buckled after the first pointed finger.

No doubt he still wants to be President; a bit like Nixon, only the other way around.

🙂

• (@ Dude) me being dense image

• I got it dude image

And agree with your comment about the tour being too hard. Although team Sky are clean arent they ??? (now they have got rid of Yates etc)

He is a bully and a conman; I hope he has to pay everything back that he has 'earnt' out of the sport. Although I sadly expect he got a massive payout for doing Operah and will get more royalties for the film and book that will no doubt follow. The only justice now is if everyone who meets him calls him a cheating ####, although I doubt that will happen in the US as most people out there still seem him as some sort of hero

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The cheating was one thing, the way he treated others was just appalling.  

He is a first class, utter and total shit.

(IMHO)  

I don't have cable/satellite/whatever to watch it, but no doubt it will be all over the web in no time.  Not sure that I actually WANT to watch him obfuscate, evade, give half the story and probably blame others for his actions over many years!

• It's the jealous Europeans that couldn't bear an American winning the TdF apparently.

• I think most people are past caring about the bloke.

I saw the interview with the guy talking about the blood transfusions and just couldn't believe that it became a normal thing for these guys to do - I mean surely at some point you stop and ask yourself what the f*ck you are doing?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    LouiseG wrote (see)

It's the jealous Europeans that couldn't bear an American winning the TdF apparently.

I love that idiotic mindset, which obviously explains why Greg Lemond is still a popular and loved cyclist in Europe despite beating Hinault and Fignon ( two Frenchmen) for two of his three wins!

That and the nasty French after Lance, who was actually brought down by a US governing body. You have to marvel at their logic. image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

- I mean surely at some point you stop and ask yourself what the f*ck you are doing?

Doubt it.... He was thinking of his bank account

• this is a diverting article about drugs and the tour

new yorker

• LouiseG wrote (see)

It's the jealous Europeans that couldn't bear an American winning the TdF apparently.

errrm - he wasn't the 1st Yank to win the TdF - Greg Lemond won it in '86, 89 and '90

and he probably won it clean (I say probably as you can never be certain these days!) and has an ongoing bust up with Armstrong and McQuaid at the UCI.

he's seen as a hero by most of the anti-doping fraternity and I'm sure that most Europeans applaud his stance, not diss him

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wonder if the guy was aware of what we call consequences?

What's that saying? "sport doesn't form character, it reveals character".

Credibility, Integity. Not a lot of evidence of that.

Never was a case of  "Winning is the only thing that matters" better illustrated.

🙂

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

I think most people are past caring about the bloke.

I saw the interview with the guy talking about the blood transfusions and just couldn't believe that it became a normal thing for these guys to do - I mean surely at some point you stop and ask yourself what the f*ck you are doing?

there's a bit of an unlikely parallel to the jimmy saville business. people get away with something for so long they form a different reality/belief system in their minds to the rest of us.

i think deep down he doesn't think there's anything wrong in what he did (armstrong, not saville). maybe that's true. maybe not. i don't know. but it shows a remarkable depth of confidence/arrogance and mental strength/narcissism.

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)

errrm - he wasn't the 1st Yank to win the TdF - Greg Lemond won it in '86, 89 and '90

Yes - not saying its logical or accurate, just that it's one of the responses I've seen a few times.

the dude abides wrote (see)
    i think deep down he doesn't think there's anything wrong in what he did (armstrong, not saville). maybe that's true. maybe not. i don't know. but it shows a remarkable depth of confidence/arrogance and mental strength/narcissism.

I agree - narcissistic and sociopathic, possibly

• part of LA's problem is that he has dug himself so deep into his shit that he's finding it difficult to see a way out of the mess he has created.

his arrogance has led him to this point - his arrogance will stop him completely and utterley fessing up and apologising to those that need apologising to; paying back those he sued and won damages from; fingering McQuaid and those liars at the UCI etc

this interview is just the first stage of his "defence" - there will be a lot lot more to come yet.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Technically, is it possible to describe this thread as an exercise in 'Character Assassination'?

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Technically, is it possible to describe this thread as an exercise in 'Character Assassination'?

Yes image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Does he have character?

• He has offered to join the whisteblower suit (!), which has been declined, and to testify against UCI

• Anyone know if he's going to face charges of perjury? I've read a few articles that say it's possible, and others that say it was too long ago to bring charges.

• Apparently statute of limitations will cover his 2005 perjury, hence the timing of his 'apology'.  It's the civil suits that will have the most impact.  The whistleblower fraud suit against the UPS team is the one with the biggest potential financial impact, as far as I can gather.