Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Tricky killed it image

• Morning all,

I am in agony today, couldn't sleep last night for pain but got docs this afternoon anyway. Not quite sure if the dog mishap is entirely to blame or if driving my daughter to and from athletics last night also contributed. I know I shouldn't have been driving but had no-one else to put her and I didn't want her to miss it again,image

Tricky, you didn't mis anything I never actually said. Anyway nothing very exciting but better than shop work - a postie!! If I get it I will still be doing my course as well so hopefully be able to do everything!image

Parent advice plz??? How long can a 13 yr old punish me for not letting her go to a party on New Years night??? She has barely spoken to me since I got home from hospital, won't do anything to help out, and lowest thing was slagging me off to her friends?? I have explained my position on it several  times but she just says I don't want  her to have a life???? FFS she's 13?!?!?image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Years, Kaz.  Years.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - careful girl image

How long can she keep it up? As long as it's in her interests to. As soon as she needs something from you she'll start talking image

Dannir - what exactly is the Goofy? Nice bling BTW

Damn - I missed the Star Trek hours. I didn't Boldly Go image

• Oh Kaz! The angst!

YM: that's my favorite Macbeth quote too, though I'm still scarred by being made to watch the Roman Polanski movie at school...
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Parent advice plz??? How long can a 13 yr old punish me for not letting her go to a party on New Years night??? She has barely spoken to me since I got home from hospital, won't do anything to help out, and lowest thing was slagging me off to her friends?? I have explained my position on it several  times but she just says I don't want  her to have a life???? FFS she's 13?!?!?image

Take care of yourself! image Good luck with the job.

Orbutt wrote (see)

Kaz - careful girl image

How long can she keep it up? As long as it's in her interests to. As soon as she needs something from you she'll start talking image

Completely agree with Orbutt.

She's a kid. You've explained your position - end of. If she were my daughter she'd be getting a bollocking for not helping me out when i'd just had serious surgery and was in pain... but then again... maybe i'm too hard?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Have you told her how less interesting "her life" will be if she doesn't get to go to Paris and Berlin! image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Drat.I missed the whole 'bold' thang...and the birthday knickers and the Disney bling!

I hope you get the job, kaz. You'd love it. When will you hear?

* And, one day, you'll get the huge treat of hearing your kids say' Hey, Mum! Remember x? You were right!'. The day will come...Promise. And they will be genuinely surprised and will want to let you into that particular secret.Til then, it's only clear to the rest of the world image *

On another note, the Paris Organisers are looking for volunteers for both the Half and the Full.If anyone's out there, lurking, or knows they won't make the Start but have bought their flights, anyway,  it's definitely worth considering. It's a great day out. Details on the Homepages.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Kaz - Have you told her how less interesting "her life" will be if she doesn't get to go to Paris and Berlin! image

Ooh - I like that idea...

• Back again.  My Dad died in November and the loss hit me like a juggeraut.

Hotel in Paris booked.  Training going quite well but still not absolutely sure that I will be there as my husband may have to work.

Blowing a gale here today.  Went out for a run nonetheless.  No snow yet. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Elizabeth - Sorry to hear about your loss.

• Elizabeth - Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad training is going well.

Emmy - Yes she's had that bollocking too, but not from me ! I played the while living under my roof you will do what your told card last night, probably so all of Stromness heard!image I am very hard(most of the time), but my major battle is BF's daughter( who was 16 on Monday) has been allowed to do whatever she wanted since she was 12, and now my daughter feels she should get the same scope.

Eggy - Yip done that one too.

ATM- Thank you. They said I should hear next week as the info has to go to Sheffield first??? 33% chance???

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry.xx

kaz, you're fit and you have absolutely no trouble getting up early! I hope they choose you.

• Me too ATM!! I will be a bit f****d off if they choose the person that flew in especially for the interview!!image

• I've got it all to come (8 & 10 year old daughters)

• Adolescents - I've got 2 of each variety and, IMHO, boys are much worse.  My eldest son (20) has just stopped his 'Kevin' stage thankfully, only to be replaced by younger son who has turned monosyllabic...but hey ho, only another 5 yrs to go!   

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Great race report. I guess they must have more runners now than when I did it last back in 2008, as I don't recall crowding ever being an issue.

• Hi Kaz - being a postie sounds like fun.  As I've got two teenage daughters, maybe I can offer some simple advice. Kids go round telling each other that their parents don't understand them and that we aren't really interested in what's important to them. And this is often the starting point in any communication - a set of prejudiced ideas that you aren't listening to them so they won't bother listening to you.

So here's my advice. Have a calm conversation with her and explain all the reasons why you think she is upset with you. Demonstrate that you understand what is important to her. And when that is done, remind her of why you sometimes chose or say things which don't always align with her goals.  It's not that you want to ruin her life, just that you also have goals, concerns and priorities. Often they will match your daughters, but on some occasions they won't.

And at those times, as the adult, it's your responsibility to chose which way to go with things. You can compromise in each directions if need be, but sometimes it HAS to go your way. She may not always understand why, but she has to trust and believe in your care and concern for her.

If that doesn't work, a clip round the ear should help. image

Elizabeth - welcome back. Glad you are here. image

• Hi Elizabeth - good to have you back. Never mind if your husband can make it - come anyway. We'll look after you. How are you at dancing on tables image ?

Kaz - I thought it must be a postie job when you described it - do you get a black and white cat?
  • yes TD the second option may make her sit up take notice!!

RR - I wonder  if I could take my dog with me??

Well docs trip not quite what I expected. Signed off for another 2 weeks, and she told me that its more than likely that I will be off for 6 weeks.image I didn't get a good reception at work, then they told me I dont get sick pay??? WTFimage Shouldn't they have told me that 2 weeks ago??? Contacting citizens advice tomorrow.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - You're having one hell of a time of it. I was out of action for four weeks after I had mine removed, but even when I returned to work is was under a no heavy lifting order for the first couple of weeks. Your contract or staff handbook should detail what the companies sick pay policy is.

Well I struggled on tonight's run. It felt sore and slow and it was slow. Think I may need to revise the number of runs I'm doing as well as the mileage on them. It's fair to say the injury is still lingering.

• Eggy - I think the doc is playing it safe on the return to work thing. She knows what like they are, and that I will not get off with no lifting etc!! I canna find me handbook.

Your no having much luck either, Hopefully it will clear with some extra  rest or rest days in the week??

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - You do have to remember it was an operation, even if it's a fairly common one. Someone did cut you open, cut a bit out you and stitched you back up. You sound like you're on your feet all day and lifting stuff when at work too. That would put the Doctor off sending you back in. If you had a sit at the PC type office job it wouldn't be so bad.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I need a little advice.  Need a training plan now for Paris.  Pfitz has a 12 week multi marathon plan that looks good, but a little higher mileage than I want to do. Would it be ok to simply scale back all runs by x% to meet the weekly mileage I want to do (50 - 55), or shoud I only scale back the longer runs?

Any and all advice most welcome. Thanks

• Dannirr - is that the 55mpw plan in P&D.  What is the max mileage per week you want to do/ what restrictions do you have to live with.  I'll sort it for you - I've got some time to do it now.  If you've already dropped the plan into a spreadsheet or somethinglike that, send it over.  Cheers.

• Saw my Doctor today regarding the medical certificate. He was reluctant to sign the form. He wanted to know why it was required as the practice had never done one before. He wanted to know how much of an examination was required? His theory referred to Fabrice Muamba and undetected heart defects. Just how far do you go.

I suggested that all the medical certificate was for is to cover the organisers in case anything happened and I promised that my family would not sue them if anything did happen to me, as my wife would be financially better off given the life cover I have.

On plus side I was only charged £18 for it.

Marathon booked, flight booked, accomodation sorted. Just the training to do. What could go wrong now?

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Winter is playing havoc on my training. I have a rule that I don't go out for a run if it is under -8 but I might have to change that. Had to cancel my run yesterday because of the cold and it's not looking great for the next 10 days.

Any medical advice welcome? Is my rule daft - is it ok to run when it's really cold?

• crikey -8!

Where are you based?

It was around -2 yesterday - not often is it that cold - I had two pairs of running tights on, a base layer, a long sleeve running top, a running t-shirt, jacket and high vis bib plus a hat and gloves. My face was cold.

I think if it was -8 I may stay in next to the fire and pray for the summer.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Two pairs of running tights! I struggle to get one pair on, never mind two. image

Running in -8 would be fine, just make sure you are layered up appropriately. Some folk find breathing in the cold difficult, but it's not something I have problems with.

• Crickey James thats my normal running kit, not a cold weather kit!!