P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Men,

Doing the marathon at 9 mph is pretty good. Gives you a predicted time of 2 hours 55 minutes. Would put you intone top 2to3 percent of marathon runners.
  • Very cold and icy here today, though some of the pavements were just about clear enough by this evening for a slightly shorter-than-planned club run. Must have been the balmy -2 degree temperatures we got up to mid-afternoon. I usually go for a run by myself first to bump up the mileage, but I thought running by myself in the dark with a headtorch AND ice was probably going too far, so I finally cracked and joined the gym the club meets at. Did about 3.5 on the treadmill, 6 outside with the club, then another 4.5 on the treadmill to get me up to 14. Treadmill felt like much harder work, probably because it was so hot in there. But maybe dripping sweat is more socially acceptable than a dripping nose?

• Evening..

Very cold here but not too icy to run..

Mennania.....impressive pace.. .you are lucky to have an understanding wife !!..I can imagine the look on her face ...as you ran past the car..us runners do take a lot of understanding..we runners are a breed apart...image who the hell else does this for fun?? I was thinking tonight...when can we taper ??? lol...but even then we will be moaning that we are feeling fat an sluggish..

Literatin great combination there image at least you got the 14 done..I had the dripping nose thing going on I ran 7 on my own then 7 with club..who said they would 9 min mile !!! bit quick towards the end ...as all club runs turned into a race..14 in 2.05

9.32...9.30...9.29...9.30...9 10 ..9.13...8.55..8.54..8.38..8.57...
    8.50...8.44..8.07..7.54...image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Snow forecast for friday - could be quite a bit in the north west, windy too...we're talking blizzards - and all I'm worried about is how I'm going to fit my 12 mile run in.

Been out to celebrate missus' birthday tonight - ate loads.

• 15West wrote (see)

Snow forecast for friday - could be quite a bit in the north west, windy too...we're talking blizzards - and all I'm worried about is how I'm going to fit my 12 mile run in

LOL same here 15w it has been playing on my mind all day...this is getting silly now..we are being taken over by P&D is almost like being brainwashed !! although  here in Southwest..it is forecast cold rain..!!!image

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

15w and NN, relieved to hear its not just me then obsessing about the bad weather and working out when/how will get all my runs done.

• Me too. Trying to decide if want to postpone 10 miles tomorrow till Friday as can't get into the gym early enough to do it before work and have stuff to do after work. :/

Did 5 miles recovery tonight on treadmill. Watch a programme on food inspectors - very educational and rather off putting if you buy from takeaways.
  • Markf, it had been bothering me too -- on Monday I was in a really bad mood and couldn't work out why, and then I realised it was because I was worried I wouldn't be able to do this week's runs because it had been snowing all day! That's when I started researching local gyms and ringing them up to find out how long you could go on the treadmill for... but I'm still really hoping I don't have to do 20 miles on a treadmill this Sunday.

• Ooh, Fiona, I saw that programme too while on the treadmill! But (mercifully?) without the sound as I'd forgotten to bring headphones to plug in.

It was past my dinner time by that stage, so it perversely made me kind of hungry...

• Sounds like I'm not the only one fed up about not doing enough running.

I've been raring to go for the half marathon on Sunday and I can't see that being on which has put me in a bad mood!

The alternative to the treadmill is running on the beach so that's what I'm doing tomorrow.

I suppose we can't control the weather so it's pointless worrying about it.
  • Morning All

Wow this is a busy thread! Congrats to all who completed thier scheduled runs yesterday (especially in adverse weather conditions)

I ran the prescribed 14M ML yesterday in 1:49, and have a nice relaxed 5M recovery effort on the menu today - weather here in North Devon is still cold but snow/ice free

Hope everybody's training goes well today!

• Literatin - I was following the subtitles as I find it impossible to keep the headphones in place and the cord drives me nuts.

Still rather icy around where I live so I think it will be the treadmill again. I wonder what is on TV tonight .....

• 10mi GA run planned this evening (home from work), with a 5mi recovery run into work tomorrow morning. Looks like it will be cold.

• 10 miles GA for me as well, got the morning off so waited for the light skies before starting. Very icy with some really low overnight temperatures here, evn the trail I used for 4 miles of it was pretty bad in places.  But think I have scouted out enough clear roads to do my long run Sunday if we don't see any warm up, well actually heavy snow forecast again here for Saturday so it could all change.

• 15West wrote (see)

Snow forecast for friday - could be quite a bit in the north west, windy too...we're talking blizzards - and all I'm worried about is how I'm going to fit my 12 mile run in.

Been out to celebrate missus' birthday tonight - ate loads.

Don't worry 15, I can beat that...  Last night, 10 mins before I was due to go out on my MRL (13 miles), my dearest husband rang me to say he had found our beloved cat lying on the road, having been knocked over by a car and he was rushing her to vet.  I burst into tears and then after a couple of mins thought "ah shit, I can't fit that run in now".  How evil am I...?! image  Thankfully, the cat was found and her swift dash to Vet has meant she has survived!  But all I could think was, my plan for the week is now messed up. 

Literatin, do you think you could do 20 miles on treadmill?  I am not sure if I could, it would be over 3 hours for me and I think I would get thrown out of gym for being a tad obsessed. image  However, I would if I had no choice.  Probably do 1:30 though, get off for 5 mins and stretch out and have a drink etc then do another 1:30. 

Not sure if Helsby Half is going to be affected yet, no snow here yet but forecast for tomorrow. I may even consider renting a snow plough myself and clear the route! 

I have decided to jump down to the sub 55 mile plan this week so I am a bit more fresh for Helsby (if it is still on) and it makes sense really.  I am pondering whether I can seriously maintain the 55-70 plan...

• HeOw

Evil?? I think that would have applied more if you HAD gone on the planned run. Try substituting CARING instead?? Some things in life are more important than running/training and one (or two) missed sessions over an 18 week build up will have no effect on the overall outcome......

So glad to hear your (obviously) beloved pet is OK! Now you can concentrate on the training again!!!

Best Regards

Dave

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Latest forecast missing manchester - but plenty will fall further south. Looks like Wales and W Midlands going to get a proper dumping. Might have to head out with daughter to hunt snow on saturday as she's desperate to play in some.

Looks like Helsby could well be hit by snow tomorrow.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and back to running - 5 v easy miles done at lunchtime.

• HeOw, I'm not sure I could do 20 miles on the treadmill but would probably give it a go if I couldn't see any other way. However, I wouldn't try until I'd gone down to the river to check out the conditions on the paths I usually use, as even if only some stretches were runnable on it would still be better to do several back-and-forth laps along the same bit than to spend that long in the gym.

There's more snow forecast for here this weekend, but hopefully that'll mean a layer of snow I can run on on Sunday, rather than just more hard-packed slippy ice. At the moment quite a lot of the ice here has dispersed (rather than melted; not warm enough for that!) so I may manage an outdoor run later and avoid the treadmill.

• I have just been to a meeting that included an "accurate" weather forecast because it can be quite critical where I work and the good news is that generally from Friday onwards it will start to warm up a bit so the ice could start melting, the bad news is that as that warm up starts it will start to snow, possibly heavy snow.  The snow will come in from the west so living in East Anglia we may only get  what's left after dumping on all other areas in it's path. So it looks like there could be some virgin snow for long runs on Sunday, trail shoes on and head out to the country. 

• I'm still hopeful of ice dispersion here too.  I hope that I may be able to get out by Sunday and it will definitely be easier if there is fresh snow as it is easier to run on.  I think I have MP this week  but I should still be able to do that.  I will run up and down if needs be.

HeOw - sorry to hear about the cat.  They do like to cross roads without using the green cross code don't they.image

• fingers crossed we wont have to resort to 20 on a treadmill..I wouldnt do it..
    I would reschedule somehow, or as Literatin says find a clear stretch and run up and down that , at least the air is fresh outside as Dave said a bit of juggling here and there really wont make any difference, in my eyes staying injury free and physically well is more important..as for our mental state, well that's open for debate image.I could possibly at a push do 10 miles on the treaddy but the ones in our gym are facing a mirror and not a telly...I don't really want to watch myself for any longer than I have to....I wonder how easy it would be to read a mag on one if I propped it over the display thing...at least that way I wouldn't have to watch the miles slowly tick by either.
    Heow sorry to hear about the cat at least it sounds as if she will be ok..if you feel as if the plan is too much just drop back for a while and see how it goes you can always add a couple of miles here and there if you are feeling fresh on a particular day you have a lot on your plate with a young family...they need your attention although you also need your 'time" too...I am fortunate really, apart from my unsociable working hours (which actually for me feel fine I am used to them ) I dont have to worry about anyone else..just got my youngest son at home and at 19 he can sort himself out (most of the time)image So I can run/eat /sleep /whatever/whenever
    Been for a little swim but cant really count it as training as I took my 1 year old grandson for a splash around..will do 5 recovery after I drop him back before work later.

• Very cautious 5-mile recovery run done in the snow. Probably the only time I've ever managed to stick to a sensible recovery pace!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

HeWo sorry to read about your cat, my two dont go far but it's always a worry.

Some great running going on in poor conditions but at least it's not as bad as two years ago -18 and snow on the ground for 6 weeks....... But the funny thing is I enjoyed running in it, I did all my speed work on a treadmill and all my long runs on the road in the snowimage.

2x7 mile runs banked here, swim and an easy run tomorrowimage.

• I suppose I shouldn't complain as there is absolutely no snow or ice where I am............. BUT I hate running in the wind.

I'm just back from my 9m with 5 @ LT.

The 5 at LT were 6:35, 6:40, 6:48, 6:39, 6:39 with an avg HR of 88% of max.

However the wind was so strong that the perceived effort over those 5 varied greatly depending on whether I was running into or with the wind.

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Great going on the LT miles there Ziggy.

Mark/anybody else running the BM on Sunday, have you seen the message on their website saying a decision will be made on Sat lunch. With the forecast given am not holding my breath image

• Ziigy fast miles well done...

I remember that winter 2 years ago NP we even had it bad down here..I trained all through that snow and ice...got the flu and chest infection...was off for 3 weeks at least then dived right back into high miles and crammed as many 20s as I could in during the end of Feb/ March....result. ?.22 degs on the day in London and a thoroughly miserable personal worst marathon..image

5 bloody cold recovery miles tonight

Working tomorrow and saturday night, may do the 20 when I get up sunday afternoon with the option of doing it monday morning..if the weather is too bad...

• HeOw sorry to hear about the cat, that sounds awful.

Mark yeah the race organisers sound like they are trying to get the race on!

They put a picture on twitter of a race a few years ago with everyone running in the snow so maybe we still have a chance.

I'm taking it easy this week so ill just class it as a rest week if the race is off.

I ran 10 miles on the beach today, it was hard going in the cold.
  • Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Well, 12 miles done running home from work tonight. No snow or wind and quite a pleasant temperature really! All set to change from tomorrow in London though which makes Sunday's long run a bit of a worry. I don't think I could do it on a treadmill. Does anyone know why they make you so hot? I know they are indoors but it seems disproportionate.

HeOw, hope your cat feline ok now.
  • MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Good going there Mark in harsh conditions. I also beach ran but just a 5 mile recovery for me and that was bad enough!

Am resting now until Sun and then if it is off will do a log run instead and not cut back next wk.

Did you decide on getting any of the beet shots?