Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Comments

• Evening Andy!

Woo woo for new parkrun PB! 6 seconds is still 6 seconds! AND a PB!! Also I bet the paths weren’t fantastic which might have slowed you down a bit – I think there were record amounts of mud at most of the parkruns this weekend!! A bit irritating about the time difference though … Are you doing the same one next weekend? Maybe it was a problem with their timer and you’ll be 16+ seconds quicker this weekend!!

Yes Silverstone is in the plan! And I’m planning on making the engine noises as discussed for a bit of extra speed!image The time seems to be flying by doesn’t it … can’t believe it’s coming up in about 6 weeks!

• Evening Ruth!

Thanks for the helpful advice! I’m proud to announce I had both cous cous and a sweet potato today. Can’t say I’m converted to the idea of cous cous though … it really IS just sand with bits in isn’t it?image

I’ve saved the pearl barley recipe that SB has given me and I’ll be trying Mrs Malcs’ idea too as they both sounded yummy. But I AM missing the salmon and tuna…

The orange squash is just an Aldi one. It’s 20% fruit apparently not that I’m sure that means much. I don’t really drink fruit juice as I prefer just to eat the fruit.

I’ll get some quinoa ordered next week and add this in as well … but I can’t say the idea of frog spawn textured grain is really appealing (Thanks for that Malcs!!!). You can’t say I’m not committed to this … trying frog spawn style food!!image

• Evening Ady!

Fab to hear from you! I’m really loving having a training plan … it’s nice not dithering about what’s best to do to hit the target you want. So much simpler …! image

How’s everything going your end? Sorry to hear your parkrun was such a mucky one last weekend, but it means it will be a doubly big PB next time!! image

It was so nice getting out on the paths yesterday and the gorgeous weather made it even nicer! It reminded me of all the lovely warm training runs I’d done last summer for Liverpool! I’m really lucky – live very close to the start of a big cycle network so I’ve got a 24 mile route mapped out for me already!

Let me know if you’re down this way again and fancy a parkrun or a run on the trails! I’m sure the respective partners and children will be happy to sit in a nice warm pub while we run!image

• Evening Buffy!

Lovely to hear from you! Woo hoo!! Another 10k hater – we SHOULD definitely start a petition to get those darn things banned!image

Wow! Sounds like your endurance is fantastic! I’m pretty sure I couldn’t knock out a 20 miler at the moment … I could probably manage 16 or 18 but I’d be panting at the end like a dirty phone caller. Not a good look for a lady.

Have you entered a marathon this Spring?

• Food Diary 14th January

Breakfast: ½ cup porridge oats made with water with dash of milk, 3 teaspoons sugar.

Lunch: Bowl of cous cous with chilli. Portion of baked ham.

Tea: Stir fry with green beans and with extra mushrooms and chopped chicken. 1 x large sweet potato.

Snacks: Cup of red and green grapes, 2 x small choc chip cookies, 1 x thorntons chocolate and a teaspoon of Nutella (while making 3 year old a sandwich! J ), 2 x tablespoons of mixed seeds,

Drinks: 3 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 4 pints of orange squash,

Exercise: Short walk in the snow and a (pathetic) snowman built. 2 hours house cleaning. 

• Week five

Mon Jan 14th:             Rest

Tues Jan 15th:             5 x 1000 in approx 4:00-4:15 starting every 6 mins (7M in total) (6:26 – 6:50 min/mile)

Weds Jan 16th:          8M steady in 8:30-9 min miles

Thurs Jan 17th:           7M with middle 3 miles at HM pace

Fri Jan 18th:                Rest

Sat Jan 19th:               6M of hills or fartlek

Sun Jan 20th:              16M steady in 8:30s - 9s

Week total: 44M

• Youve lost me with that one, (  trans pennine trail looks amazing ? ) , running it would be an achievement its 215 miles long !!!

Coast to coast on the bike is on my bucket list lol!! , its the trans pennine trail.

It was my rest day yesterday....... my tuesday session is same as yours, i,m hoping the weather dosen't have an effect on our training .

• Hi RRR cous cous is a bit boring but Nigella has a really good recipe in her Christmas cook book- I'll dig it out for you, but from memory you add some spices- I think cumin and cayenne pepper to the cous cous before Adding the hot water, then once it's cooks stir thru some chopped corriander and pomegranate seeds- you could serve this with something meaty (I do lamb tagine a few weeks before Christmas) or just have it cold as a salad.

Went for a short run in my trail shoes in the dark and snow- this was very difficult to get outta bed for... Only did 2.5 miles image
  • Afternoon Sarah,

I wonder why when we are both hoping for sub 3:30 that your sunday runs are a couple of miles more than mine .

My run this sunday his 12 mile again with the first 6 mile at 8/5 to 9m/mile and the last 6 his 8m/mile, don't know whether to up it to 14 or not.

I think steve the coach may be able to explain to me , what are your thoughts ?

• Afternoon Derrick!

Well ... maybe give running it a week then with running the Trans Penine Trail image

I’m tempted to switch Tuesdays and Thursdays sessions this week as the pavements and roads are pretty icy still this way. Although I’m not too sure I’ll be able to manage a sub-8 minute mile with the amount of ice around at the moment so maybe I’ll have to do tonight’s session on the treadmill. 7 miles on a treadmill though ... sigh. I’ll have to make sure I’ve got a good audiobook to rely on!  

Are you going to try the speed session tonight outside?

• Afternoon Angela,

Ooh the cous cous recipe sounds good! If you don’t mind digging it out I’d appreciate that! Yum!

Well done on getting your miles in this morning – bet it wasn’t too appealing to go out for a slide and slip in the ice and snow! It’s pretty out there but not very good for running in! I think I’m going to be cheating and getting my session in on the treadmill tonight ...!

• A great big thank you to Rock Solid Obstacle Race in Devon who have deferred my entry this year!! Woo woo!

This is a 10k obstacle race I'd entered with an awesome team on Twitter (all of whom had never met except on Twitter!!) before I found out I was lucky enough to be in the Asics Target 26.2!

Thanks guys - really appreciate it!

•  

Derrick Baldwin

9 forum posts
    1 event entry

Afternoon Derrick,

Sorry missed your 2nd post!

My training plan is based around one from My Asics, but slightly tweaked as Marathon Coach Steve has taken into account my previous mileage and history. Are you basing your runs on the plan from My Asics? How is it fitting in around your previous training?

• Flying RRR get some carbs down you and dont go too fast at this stage.
    19.6 mile fell run on Saturday in my new Speedcross trainers, with Steves advice in mind, thanks for that, and today ran in the snow with daughter nice four mile easy and the same to do going home. Happy training and have a creme egg if you want, had one last night lovely!!!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Malcs!

So … has everyone entered TR24 yet?

I give up - can't keep up with you. I'm replying to posts 2 pages back!

Yes, as of a few moments ago the Bootcampers TR24 team is officially entered! Woo hoo! Would be great if we could all camp in the same area, although I think they give you nutters running in pairs a pitch closer to the start line for easier transitions.

• re schedule - initially there was some connection with myasics but fundamentally, Sarah's schedule is based upon her training history and form and race plan, and for me based on past  schedules, there weren't quite enough runs or mileage or speedwork to ensure she reaches her potential..

• .......and i was worried about having to do more than 3 laps....sarah will end up doing loads at TR24
  • thanks again Malcs for arranging it all for us, I really appreciate it.

Hi Sarah...how did the TM session go? I did mine on the TM last night and will probably do tomorrows on there too (if my netball match gets cancelled), its not worth the risk outside.
  • It's fairly same as yours through the week , just Sunday's , your mileage is 2 mile more than mine. I'm running quite good at the minute and every things going to plan, I had a niggle down the side of my left leg but it seems to be easing off now, I'm booked in on Tuesday for physio regarding a old injury so I think I'll mention the niggle also.
  • Evening MCS!!

I’m slowing down …!! Promise! Made a concerted effort tonight … that and the snow and ice kept my speed down! J What was your fell run on Saturday like?

Bet your run in the snow was good today! Ooh crème egg jealousy! I’ll have to see if I can hunt one down … just one Ruth – promise!image

• Evening Malcs!

Woo!! That’s fab!! How many people in the Bootcampers team? Did you go for 5 in the end? Got a lap target in mind?

I don’t know how they’ve set up the campsite this year … so long as I’m reasonably close to the loos and the tent selling jellybeans it’s all good!image Am just going to take it easy and enjoy it … so long as I manage more than 4 laps I’ll be happy!

• Evening Sarah!

Woo woo! We'll have a chance to have a catch up at TR24!  Will be great to see everyone again!

My TM session was a complete fiasco … I ended up doing the session today at lunchtime and my long run this evening nice and steady on the snow and ice!image

How was yours? Did you survive the dreadmill boredom?image

• Evening Derrick!

Glad the running’s going well and I hope the physio sorts out the niggle for you. Be a shame to get injured when everything’s going so well!

• Food Diary 15th January

Breakfast: ½ cup porridge oats made with water with dash of milk, 3 teaspoons sugar.

Lunch: Bowl of cous cous.

Tea: Salmon portion, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, small leek, small portion of stirfry veg with green beans, 7 mushrooms,  baby corn, mange tout and green beans – all steamed. Fresh beetroot. Portion of cottage cheese.

Snacks: Portion of baked ham and stilton. Teaspoon of nutella. Teaspoon of peanut butter. Large orange. Apple, cookie.

Drinks: 2 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 2 pints of orange squash, 2 cups of tea.

Exercise: 2 mile run in the snow.

Food Diary 16th January

Breakfast: ½ cup porridge oats made with water with dash of milk, 2 teaspoons sugar.

Lunch: Tin of tuna and a tablespoon of mayonnaise

Tea: Salmon portion, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, small leek, small portion of stirfry veg with green beans, 6 mushrooms,  baby corn, mange tout and green beans – all steamed. Fresh beetroot. Portion of cottage cheese.

Snacks: Banana, Satsuma, choc chip cookie, large portion of natural yoghurt with cinnamon and a tablespoon of fried fruit, babybel. 2 teaspoons of nutella.

Drinks: 3 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 3 pints of orange squash, 2 cups of tea, 1 glass of tap water.

Exercise: 5.3 mile run on treadmill at lunchtime, 9 mile run in the evening in the snow.

Note: The cous cous has been given up as it has been upsetting my stomach (and indirectly my family and work colleagues!!). I’m going to give the pearl barley and quinoa recipes a try when I go shopping on Friday.

• Week 5, Day 2

Goal: 5 x 1000m in 4 - 4.15 mins (6:26 - 6:50 min/mile) starting every 6 minutes. 7 miles in total

It was destined to be One Of Those Nights.

It was a 7 mile run scheduled for today which meant that I couldn’t quite fit it into my lunch hour AND have a shower … so it was postponed until after work.

I had an hour window between getting home from work and my partner having to go off to his group, to run and I was looking to get the training session in then. However, due to a combination of icy roads and customers wanting to get their money’s worth from his time, he didn’t get home until 6.30pm which meant my run would now have to be either on the treadmill or when he got home again which could be any time from about 10pm onwards. The treadmill was sounding a more sensible option, especially with all the ice on the pavements and I could get the run done nice and early.

About 10pm I woke with a snort in my three year olds bedroom, holding a now cold bottle of milk and a sleeping child. Ok … a LATE run tonight then.

7 miles on a treadmill sounded DIRE so I decided that I would test out the new trail shoes on the ice and snow on a 2 mile warm up and then do the speedy intervals on the treadmill. Technically cheating but I wasn’t entirely sure it was possible to manage a sub-8 minute mile on the ice without doing a Roadrunner style wheelspin and landing in an undignified heap on my bottom. Amusing for any passers by but not entirely conducive to successful training, completing a speed session OR staying uninjured.

My partner arrived home at 10.30pm and I was ready to head out, resplendent in a hi-viz jacket, warm hairband, gloves, pink jacket and new trail shoes. In fact I looked like a Christmas tree that had collided with a traffic cone. 

My partner mentioned that there was an odd man wandering around the roads holding a clipboard. This spooked me. Of course, it was probably one of the next door neighbours who’d lived in the road for years putting his bin out ...

I spent the first mile of the run looking around like a meerkat and making eep noises – getting ready to scream should a weirdo carrying a clipboard – why a clipboard?? – should leap out from the neighbour’s conifer hedge and make molesting motions. Quite what these should be I wasn’t quite sure but I thought I’d probably know them when I saw them. I did of course have my personal alarm (which I carry as standard – free from the local police station) but I’d spooked myself and did just 2 miles and got home.

Went and got treadmill ready for speed session and realised phone completely dead. I couldn’t face the thought of an hour’s run on the treadmill with no distractions so went indoors to charge it ... next thing I knew it was 5 past midnight ... sigh.

(Wavy lines, wavy lines)

Picture the scene: Next morning at work, paper being flung up into the air and hand searching desperately through a desk before a single sheet of paper is brandished triumphantly in the air ...a free 7 day gym pass to a local gym.

Intervals finally completed indoors in the warm gym, looking out of the window at the ice and snow outside.

Goal: 5 x 1000m in 4 – 4.15 (6:26 – 6:50 min/mile) starting every 6 minutes.

Actual: 5 x 1000m at 14.5 kmph (6:35 min/mile)

1 mile warm up at 11.5 kmph (9 min/mile) and approx 250m recoveries while waiting for the next 1000m interval.

Total 5.3 miles in gym today, 2m yesterday making up the total of 7.3m.

• RRR well done on doing the sessions, and the speed is fine and the treadmill was the right option but not a good idea to do two hardish sessions on the same day, and it is safer to miss a session or would have been best to do Wednesday on Thursday and Thursday on Friday or rest.

• I woke up this morning wandering if you had gone out and ran......well now I know.

I went out tuesday and wednesday in the cold after work and completed my training schedule image , I did my 9mim/m tue, and my 8min/m wed. I should have done my speed session in between but decided it was to risky to go ahead with it.

I'm thinking of resting today and doing the speed session at the gym on friday....its same pace and milage as yours.

Have you been injury free since you started ? any niggles ? whats your secret if thats a yes.

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Ruth!

Thanks for the helpful advice! I’m proud to announce I had both cous cous and a sweet potato today. Can’t say I’m converted to the idea of cous cous though … it really IS just sand with bits in isn’t it?image

I’ve saved the pearl barley recipe that SB has given me and I’ll be trying Mrs Malcs’ idea too as they both sounded yummy. But I AM missing the salmon and tuna…

The orange squash is just an Aldi one. It’s 20% fruit apparently not that I’m sure that means much. I don’t really drink fruit juice as I prefer just to eat the fruit.

I’ll get some quinoa ordered next week and add this in as well … but I can’t say the idea of frog spawn textured grain is really appealing (Thanks for that Malcs!!!). You can’t say I’m not committed to this … trying frog spawn style food!!image

Hey RRR

You are doing so well on your training runs- well done!

The orange juice is another source of sugar so if keeping carbs low from other sources may be useful for you. But for others watching weight always be careful how many calories you can consume through orange juices etc that are not low in sugar. I will be interested to see how you go with cous cous as if you cannot stomach bread I wonder how this will affect you as also contains wheat.

Ruth

• Hee Hee Ruth!! See comment on cous cous at bottom of food diary I posted last night ...! image
  • I was just writting an essay about that  starting with I should  read all the posts first!! But I do not believe it image I have lost the entire post but please wait for it again as will post it in a couple of hours as need to go to meeting but will be back!!! Sorry I am not sure how I keep managing to lose posts this year!!!!