Thunder Run 2012

Morning all,

Just a quick query for those in the know! Signed up to the TR24 solo in July 2013. The main purpose of this thread is to see who else is going to be at the event, and for those who have experience of the course what are their training tips? Course information? Plus anything else you think would be useful to know!!

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Did this last year on the rejigged course (there was flooding on parts of the old one)

Training tips - how long is a piece of string? As long as you have some ultra experience you'll be fine. Make sure you do some night training before hand and definitely must have a good torch for parts of the course. What else do you want to know?

Going again this year - fantastic event

• Thanks for that Slane, hugely appreciated.

Didn’t realise they had to amend the course, of the proposed course how tough is it in terms of terrain and profile? I haven’t done a 24 hour event before but have done a couple of point to point ultra runs.

Also in terms of logistics is it essential to stay on site as I have family around 10 miles away? Also is there a limit on support team numbers and how exactly does this work, are they easily accessible at the end of each lap!?

• Very easy to access. Huge fields to camp in. As long as you register by 11ish then you dont have to stay overnite on the Friday. The more the merrier. Probably a good idea to have a tent somewhere there to store essentials and crew to duck in during rain times - the cafe can get a bit cramped!

We made a w/e of it and had a blast, but the olympic opening ceremony was on which was a plus.

If you havent done 24h then get some practice runs in during the night. I did long ones starting at 12/2/3 and 4. Its a different feel as everything seems to be slower (though if you are in a team of 8 they are still powering round)

• All very useful information thansk slane. I will practice some night time runs as it is an aspect that I am not hugely experienced in!

I am really looking forward to it and know a few others who are taking part as well.

• Whoops, double post.

Anyone else in for a weekend of fun in July?

• This is the GPS data I got before my battery died:

http://app.strava.com/activities/15360065

Very good event, highly recommend, my race report is here:

http://blog.trailrunner.org.uk/2012/07/adidas-thunder-run-race-report-tr24-is.html

Not back this year as doing another timed event in August however will definitely be back 2014.

• Fantastic read Alistair and very well done for last year! Once home from work going to go over the route you have posted as well which I am sure will be very beneficial.

Any more reflections now?

• Interesting GPS signals. If I am reading it right, over the first five laps, the course was getting higher and higher, then it sunk down again, then proceeded to start rising again. That might explain why I was getting slower image

Great write up - Gives a good feel for the event and coming 14th out of 93 is good image

• Wow, just read your blog Alistair. I did Thunder Run this year as part of a team and I guess I resolved then I would attempt solo one year..well, guess what? The entry has gone in. Never done greater distance than marathon though..but am a bit of a sucker for multiple marathons within few weeks. Don't even know where to start with a training schedule for thisimage. Not out for a podium position but would like to claim that I have at last run a bit more than 26.2 even if it did take 24 hrs!

• Good for you BR. Personally I just do marathon training but throw in a bit more eating and getting used to start stopping. Doing night / dawn runs is a must.
  • Thanks Brer, my training was not really even at my usual marathon level and physically I got around just fine. I think a few posts have suggested night running and time on feet combining the two I enjoy setting off for a nice long walk after dinner, walking out until its dark then running back, can easily put in a 6 to 8 hour shift this way. I will be doing lots of these in prep for my timed race next year. All this TR24 talk is making me wish I was going to be there!!!!! Will definitely head over for the finish to cheer everyone home.
  • Cheers folks, I know it's a bit early to be stressing about it but I do like to pick up good advice well in advance of a challenge that is going to take me beyond my comfort zoneimage

• http://www.gallusness.com/31369/844451/work/heid-cam

This might well come in handy, certainly an interesting insight into the course and a big thanks to the guy that filmed and posted it!

• Great vid/post Pete - made my day image

• Did it solo last year, & in again for this year. It was amazing. The support for the solo runners is great.

Train for "time on your feet" rather than thinking "how far can I run". It's just tiring on your whole body being on the move for 24 hours. Do a lot of whole body core work.

I'm slow, but did quite well by not stopping at all. 

Terrain was quite tricky at times, especially when tired in the dark....Lots of tree roots to trip over. You heard yells, then a thud in the distance, & you knew someone had tripped over yet another tree root!

It was dry last year. Suddenly dried up. But I guess if muddy it would be even harder....

• thanks Pete. great appetite whetter. really fancy this one.