Rome Marathon 2013

Comments

• Happy New Year guys!!!!

Glad you are back in the race AD. My left foot is still sore but I can weight bare now so feeling positive. Got physio on Thursday. Been resting since although did manage a gentle walk today.

Been looking at my pictures of Rome from my last visit! Super excited, it is just such a beautiful city!!
  • Hi Ami

I totally agree about Rome. i took my wife there for her birthday last year and absolutely loved it. To run a marathon there and take in all of the amazing iconic sites is fantastic.

I'm sure your injury will be fine. Don't forget to listen to your own body sometimes rather than a physio. My cynical side and past experiences, makes me quite distrusting (is that a word?) of some people.

Let us know how you go.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I really need to sort hotel out, any suggestions? they all look the same to me

• I had a look at Rome, it a date I can not do, as I am starting at Salford University on the 18 March 2013. 

So I will keep an eye on how you are all do. I will learn from the experience and pass it on my Marathon Training at the Greater Manchester one in April 2013. 

Let all have  a great 2013 image

• Bib number received at last - 5535 - puts me in with the sub 4hr gang. Hoping to get in the 3h30's this year (3h52 in 2011; 3h41 in 2012...).

For those that need the EA letter, just drop them an email enquiries@englandathletics.org - explain you need a letter for the race and they will send you one you can upload - takes 2-3 days. Just make sure you include your EA number and club name in the email. I would have emailed the template to you but don't want to run the risk of being ticked off by EA or Roma.

Hotel booked too. I've gone through Hotels.com and booked a decent place. Not bang in the centre, but close enough to bus/metro routes. Also, if you go via Quidco you can get 10/12% cashback via Hotels.com or Expedia. Get booked soon though, its 6 Nations Rugby too (Italy v Ireland) so could be getting busy! I'm there for 4 nights (15-19), bringing along my partner (she's excellent support crew and can be seen lobbing me lucozade at regular race intervals! image), and my folks are coming along too - nice family outing!

Hope the training is going well. Happy 2013

• I went the Doctors note route, except it was more of a doctored note...

Hotel is booked through Booking.com, though I don't really think it makes much difference, mustn't forget the flights too people, they were more expensive that weekend as it was, the cheap flights are probably going like hot cakes now.  

Hope everyones training is going well, and Ami-s has some good news?

I'm feeling very optimistc, off the back of a 10 mile with 6 tempo yesterday, the 6 mile suggests (mcmillan) that im only 1 minute off pb (3:41) with 10 weeks training left.

To put it another way, I've improved by 14 minutes in 7 weeks since my last marathon (again mcmillan prediction, but it was spot on for my last marathon), so i'm crossing my fingers to break into the 3:30s.... image 

• Thanks for the info Alex and Lardarse.

I had my left foot x-rayed and it is a break. Will take about 8 weeks to heal.

I'm going to see the physio today and will work with one of the personal trainers to maintain the fitness I built up in the last 10 weeks. I'm guessing lots of swimming and biking. Physio has said Rome is not off the cards.

Anyone here had a metatarsal stress fracture?
  • Lardarse - nice work with the training, seems like the effort is paying off! I'm always wary of those pace calculators, McMillan has me at a predicted 3:21 based on my 10mi pace...we'll see! Suppose I should just zip up the man suit and get on with it.

Booked flights with BA a few weeks back-better value than low cost airlines once you include baggage etc.

Ami - sorry to hear about the injury, hope the cross training keeps the fitness up! Good luck!
  • Oh Ami! That's not good, no experience of a stress fracture, search the site for "devoted to distance" aka D2D...

Alex, yes I saw the low cost airlines really try to rip you off with luggage, thankfully it's just me and the hand luggage allowance (free) is only about 2 lt's smaller than my suitcase, which is normally virtually empty!

I'm wary of the pace calculators too because I always come out too slow over the short distance compared to longer ones, seems I'm better at keeping a pace up but have no base speed. But in fairness I've allways been overweight, it's only now that I'm in and training at a "healthy BMI" that they're starting to tally better, it's also why i've made leaps and bounds, it was off a tempo to, not a race so looks good. I'm sure you'll do well if you stay injury free, sory to remind you again Ami!

• Can't believe it's only 10 weeks until the marathon! As it's my first ever one, I can't quite believe how quickly it's come round... Training is going well though. Did 15 miles this morning in 2hrs 29mins which MacMillan reckons would put me on a 4hr 30 marathon - although to be honest, it felt really slow and sluggish and I know I could have done better. Got a new bed a few days ago and haven't had a decent night's sleep since! My half marathon PB is 1hr 56m so I'm ideally aiming for around 4hr 15m in Rome but (as it's my first attempt at the distance and I have no idea what to expect come the actual day) I'd be happy enough with a 4.30 finish - to be honest, I'd be happy to get round without stopping and in one piece!

Got a half marathon booked in for the first weekend in Feb (Blackmore Vale Half in Sherborne, Dorset - which has a reputation for being hilly - it's known as the 'half with the hill finish') and then the Plymouth Hoe 10 mile race mid Feb. Should break up the training runs a bit as I'm starting to have exhausted all possible routes around where I live (I live on the seafront in Poole, Dorset and while it might sound idyllic - running along a Promenade / beach and back again for miles isn't the most exciting of routes!).

As my runs are getting longer, I am finding it is my mind that is causing the issues rather than my legs. The long runs mean that I'm out running by myself for 2-3hrs - have started downloading podcasts and audiobooks to try to stop my mind from getting bored and to keep me occupied.

Got my flights booked but we're on a 7.40am return flight on the Monday - only one we could get that got us home at a reasonable hour on the Monday as need to get our little girl from my Mum and Dad etc before back to school and work etc on Tuesday. Bit of a bummer, but hey - I'll sleep on the plane I guess!

• PS - Ami, that's such bad news about your foot. Will keep my fingers crossed that it heals ok and you make it to Rome as scheduled...

• Good work Kirsty. I hear you on the long run stuff...my advice (for what it's worth) is make sure you take them easy and concentrate more on distance/time on feet rather than overall pace. I often make the mistake of doing my long runs too hard and banjaxing my legs for the next few days - not good! I've learn't my lesson now and seem to be recovering much better these days. Like you I have hrs of podcasts downloaded to listen to on long runs - and can always throw on a bit of heavy metal if my mood has dropped a bit!

• Hey Guys, good discussion going on.

Thanks Alex for the information.

Rome will be my second marathon. I did Dublin in October in 3;45. I was a bit disappointed with that so entered another one! Dublin went to plan up until 19 miles, and then every ounce of energy left my body! So we will see how this one goes. In hindsight I didnt do enough long runs in preparation, I kidded myself that if I could do a half marathon sub1:30 I would be okay. So hopefully I have learnt from that!

Training going okayish so far, yet to do anything over 2 1/4 hrs, I will look forward to that in February!

• George, theres more going on there by the sounds of it than just number of lrs. I've never gone under 1:49 (offically, never really trained for and raced) for a half, yet my marathon pb is 3:41.

How do you prepare in terms of carbo loading and tapering? If I could run a 1:30 half i'd be looking to get closer to 3hrs not 4!

Kirsty, half the trick of all those long runs is as much about training your mind as it is your body. When you start running 5 miles feels like an eternity, after regular 15 milers 5 miles feels like a warm up and flashes past you. Or maybe i'm just brain dead now! lol

• That's certainly true - I went out on Sunday to do a recovery 4 mile slow jog after doing a 15 miler on Saturday and it felt as though I'd finished before I'd even started. Strange that this time last year, the thought of running 5 miles was alien to me - never run past 5km before last February, and yet now 5 miles is considered an easy short run! Shows what you can do in a year.

This time in ten weeks, I'll be back at home, wearing my marathon medal (all being well, and if this new bed doesn't kill me off - managed a whole 3 hours sleep last night!) - scarey and exciting thought!

• 2 months and 5 days! woohoo! I've got 3 more days in Rome after the race, I plan on wondering about half cut enjoying the sunshine  image

Is this your first marathon Kirsty (sorry if you've already said)? It'll be be one you never forget. One of my most memorable races was the Monaco marathon, started in monaco, ran through France into italy then back again. 3 countries in one race!  image that was in march too, glorious sunshine, not a cloud in the sky not hot far from cold, like a perfect English summers day...southern England... lol

• Yup - first timer! I figured that if a sight-seeing tour of Rome on route didn't keep me going, then nothing will!

• Hi all,

I've been quiet for a while, had about 5 weeks out with injury and manflu.

Glad to say that this week has got me back on track. 35 miles for the week and 14 miles today.

Also, a couple of links that I posted before.

Good luck all. 9 weeks to go.

http://www.amazingrunningtours.com/rome_marathon.asp

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rome+marathon+2012&oq=rome+marathon&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.1.0l2.5619.8694.0.11759.13.9.0.2.2.0.379.1928.1j3j4j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.JhhiGPCyGEs

• Just wondered if anyone knew what drinks etc they were going to be giving out at the refreshments stations on the course? The map I have of the route shows refreshment stations at every five km marker. I've had a look through the website but couldn't see mention if they would be giving out sportd drinks or not - should I presume it's just water or are there usually sports drinks / gels etc? Also - I realised that I've been planning my run and when to take gels etc based on miles, but as it's in Rome, all the distance markers will be in kilometres so will now have to work out a conversion so I know where I am!

• hi all, hope training for Rome is going well. I have a question about the Start Area. I am in start area D and looking to achieve a time of 3:30 - do you think this is possible or will it be too congested? I have run London before and the congestion really frustrated me. thanks

• Morning All image

My first post so bear with me.

I have just finished reading this whole thread and am pleased to be in such friendly company. I shall also be running alongside you in Rome.

This will be my 4th Marathon and like most people, i shall be chasing down the elusive 4hr target. My previous results are:

London 2008 - 5h 50m
    London 2010 - 4h 42m 
    Brighton 2012 - 4h 25m

I would not consider myself a serious runner, more that i like something to aim for and running is a lot easier than dieting when it comes to weight control image

My training for this race has been the best and most thorough to date. I started training for this in November and have done a couple of 18 miles runs at a steady pace. This Saturdays run is also another 18 miles planned.

I do 3 shorter runs in the week as well as my long run on Saturday so my week normally looks like this:

Mon - Rest
    Tue - 6-8 miles at Marathon Race Pace (9:00min/miles)
    Wed - 10 - 13.1 miles at between 9 and 10 minute pace.
    Thur - Interval session with lots of sprints
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Long Run
    Sun - Long Cycle (40 - 70 miles)

Can anyone advise me on a pace i should be running at on my longer runs. I have been sticking to a 9:50 - 10:00 pace and to date, regardless of the distance i feel fresh and comfortable. I was working on the basis of trying to stay injury free and just building up miles in the legs. Is this the right thing to do, or should i be aiming for a quicker/slower pace?

Sorry for the ramble. Hope all your training is going well and look forward to chatting to you more as we get nearer the race image

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

most say you should do your long runs about 1-2 minutes slower than your marathon pace, so if you want to do 8mm do your long runs at 9-10mm. There's another school of thought that says your legs have to get used to running at the pace you want to run the marathon at... you can't win lol Another way is to just concentrate on getting time on your feet for the long runs, 3 hours at whatever pace you want is a good lsr, then 3 and a half hours, instead of concentrating on pace and distance. Just try to enjoy the after run glow and smugness...

• Thanks ADG. That is pretty much what I had heard. So i aim my mid week runs at marathon pace, so i am very used to the "Feeling" of that pace and getting to know what it is like. And then my long runs 1 minute slower per mile. 

Seems i am doing okay and touch wood i have been having an awesome time since November setting myself PBs in pretty much anything i do from 10ks to half Marathons.

Lets hope it all comes together on race day image

• Kirsty - not sure if you've found out elsewhere but the organisers will be dishing out Gatorade en route. Not bad stuff.
  • If you're aiming to only just break four hours it looks like you're doing a lot of fast runs in the week, you don't need to do 2 marathon paced runs plus intervals, unless your marathon is going to be much quicker than you imagine. What's your half pb? And 10k? 

• Hi Lard

Up until xmas for 12 weeks all i did was low HR training. Mile after mile of boring slow runs. They got quicker overtime as my body became more efficent and where i started at around 12 min/mile for 70% of my HRM, i now sit at around 10 min/mile for the same effort.

Then from xmas i have added in the speed work. The Wednesday run is really more like a slow run, i aim for 10 min/miles but sometimes it comes in a little quicker. So then my Tuesday runs are at race pace (A steady 9 min/mile) with my Thursday being the interval session. So 2 quicker shorter runs and 2 longer slower runs.

My concern is that if i dont get used to running at my target marathon pace (9min/mile) i will crumble on the day in the later miles.

I do not plan to run much quicker than a 9min pace on the day and will be using my watch to monitor and control this. Last years Brighton Marathon i ballsed up and went out way to quick, blew up at mile 17 and had a pants time from then on, something i do not want a repeat of in Rome.

My PBs are:

10k = 47m 50s (In a training run on open roads)
    HM = 1h 47m 00s (As part of a 16 mile race) 

• I wouldn't worry about being able to maintain marathon pace, believe me I know where you're coming from, but thats the point of other training ie tempo runs, so you don't blow up at 17+ miles. I think most schedules would have you rather concentrating on tempos than intervals, they're too short. I guess if you're only doing short runs at MP it wont hurt.

Your times are somewhere close to mine, I haven't raced for 9 weeks, but going by faster training runs. You should smash 4 hrs image

• Thanks Buddy.

I know I have trained more this year than ever before, and i should trust my training but there is something in the back of my head still worried about it. As you say, better to over train than under train. 

Intervals tonight. Will only be around 4 miles but i enjoy it as its with my Triathlon club.

• Wooha! I didn't say it's better to overtrain! image I'd actually go the other way, it's better make it to the start line feeling undertrained but fresh, niggle free and healthy! Thatas why people say don't run all your runs too fast, all that heart rate training was the best thing you could've done what use is an engine that revs fast but has no power?

• Sorry, i meant overtrain for my given goals image

If my current training and times should see me do a quicker marathon than I am planning, I should be "Safe" to hit my 4hr goal.... i hope...

Rest day today. How is everyone elses training going?