Triathlon tracking device

Hi all,

I'm preparing ofr my first tri - I plan to do it in the autumn. I have so far done a half-marathon and 3k swim.

For my running training I found my smartphone to be of great help, it really boosts motivation to see your progress in detail, current speed, etc. - I guess I don't need to explain in detail why tracking is invaluable. I tried several apps and ended up using Runtastic - it's great. However, it's of not much use for a triathlon. 

First problem is that it doesn't support triathlon - it has no feature to separate the different sports. Even if I know the lengths of the section I can't get any per-sport stats. Has anyone used a good triathlon-specific app, preferably for Android?  
I would love it if it also allows custom configurations of disciplines, to let me track, for example, just swimming and running, cycle-swim-cycle, etc.

Another problem - smartphones and water don't go together very well image I see three theoretical options here:
1. A good water-proof smartphone jacket. It has to be a good fit to not be a bother when swimming, has to be reliably waterproof and ideally could have a see-through  window so that I can take a look at how I'm doing (the pools in my area don't even have decent clocks!)
2. A smartphone app that tracks running and cycling by GPS but allows swimming to be entered manually. Most times I would swim in a pool, so I'll know exactly how much I've swam, and it can figure out the rest from time elapsed
3. A sports watch or another dedicated device with GPS and preferably triathlon-specific features. I'm not willing to spend much money but compared to the risk of damaging my smartphone, probably £200 is a reasonable price to pay

Thanks a lot for all opinions and good luck with your training! 

Comments