Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Sooooo....those 3 are all missing.  Together. image

They're all missing what?

@Kaz - i went to decathlon for my bike 300EUR and its a great little road/race bike

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - Count me out of that one. My plan afterdoing Paris and London is to take a complete break from running until I'm 100% injury free. I think I've found out I don't like not being able to go full pelt and trying to be faster.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emmy, count me out too because...I'm not mental. But you Go,girl!image

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    RS and DLR - you've both been very quiet recently. Are you out there somewhere?

I''m here but very busy with work.  Running isn't going at all but will try again this weekend...probably in snow (where's the freezing smilie?)

• I would love to Emmy, but can't.image

• RS *waves* aha, so it's only Weedy and DLR who've disappeared off to the Berlin sex dungeon.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt - glad it's a relative short break.  I am still in DV's camp with respect to your shoes - are you absolutely sure it's not a shoe thing? You know me - shoes are the devil!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Emmy - Count me out of that one. My plan afterdoing Paris and London is to take a complete break from running until I'm 100% injury free. I think I've found out I don't like not being able to go full pelt and trying to be faster.

Amen to that.  I'm having a full month off after Paris or I'll break myself...and I have Beachy to conquer in the autumn.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Interesting Lance interview with Oprah.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Interesting Lance interview with Oprah.

Is it worth watching Dannirr or is there nothing there we don't already know?

I have only ever taken substances that have reduced my performance image 

Emmy - you're insane, but I like it! I think May would be too hot for me to function, plus I have TR24 to prepare for in July so I don't think it's a goer for me, sorry.

Orbutt - good to hear you have an end in sight. Is it just tightness in the calf or did you have a tear or something? 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Malcs - this is the UK. Summer arrives for 3 days in Marchimage

• Bloody hell, its blowing a hoolie here the day. No snow yet thou, I think it will miss us. image

I did some lower body and upper body strength work this morning, just missed the core out!! All felt ok. Off out for a brisk walk, or as brisk as possible in this wind, in a wee bit. Things I'll do to try and keep some sanity!image

I got my pre-learning course material yesterday, so that will keep me busy for the next couple of weeksimage

I was reading local paper this morning, and found out they are holding cycling time trials once a month but like everything else(X country, 10K's) its on a Sunday.image

• Brrrrrr. Crisp, white and crunchy underfoot this morning - no snow yet, the council have just gone a bit overboard with the salt.

I've always been suspicious of Lance Armstrong ever since I saw a picture in one of his books that showed he'd married a woman who looked exactly like his mother. That's never a good sign in a man.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

LOADS of snow here - my kittens are loving their first experience of it!

Got a big work report to finish then I'm heading out with my yaktrax ahead of tomorrow's 20 miler.  Which is happening, no matter what...image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

No snow forecast for here at all, but it is freezing. I picked the wrong time of year to get my hair cut short!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I've always been suspicious of Lance Armstrong ever since I saw a picture in one of his books that showed he'd married a woman who looked exactly like his mother. That's never a good sign in a man.

LOL  image

Emmy H wrote (see)

@Malcs - this is the UK. Summer arrives for 3 days in Marchimage

True about the 3 days but it's not always in March. For me those 3 days always coincide with whatever marathon I'm running. Also, it only needs to be 15 degress or more for me to blow a gasket!

Wait and see - it'll be like the arctic in Wales in April right up until the Great Welsh Marathon and then the freakin' sun will come out.

Kaz - enjoy the walk but be sure to leave the family pet at home!

Light dusting so far here this morning - that's enough to have us soft Southerners in a panic. Will need to dig the crampons out....

• I'm afraid I am the same as you Malc with the heat. image

YM - Enjoy your run in the snow,

Eggy - yes I am finding things rather chilly about the ears since my scalping last week. Need to look out a hat.

3 miles brisk walk,  and a lot faster than a few days ago, it actually felt near normal speed and no painimage I will take pouch out later for a walk of the lead and hope there is no-one for him to knock over in his excitement.image

• just sneaked in a snowy 6 miles run - 3 runs for the week as per "target" so just need to concentrate on comfort eating this weekend

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - when I stood in front of my physio in my bare feet last night he commented on how flat my feet were. He told me I needed support shoes.

Are any of the 'flatter' shoes suitable for support?.

Snowing quite heavily here but not sticking in the City. Mrs O is being sent home at 1pm though.

• Snow everywhere here, Reg spending most of his time head first in it, Basil not to sure but loves snow ball chasing, but can;'t work out why he can't find the balls!!!! 

4 mile dog walk and very hard work as icy, snowy and exceptionally chilly - perfect weather for my adventure run on sunday - notice I dont refer to it as a raceimage

Am off to sit on my orod and then ball of torture to roller out my creases!!!!  

Kaz:  excellent work out for you.

ym: enjoy your snow run.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Dannir - when I stood in front of my physio in my bare feet last night he commented on how flat my feet were. He told me I needed support shoes.

Are any of the 'flatter' shoes suitable for support?.

I'm sure others can answer this far better, but I believe the theory with minimalist running shoes is that the support/gait correcting by other running shoes is causing problems not solving them and that using a minimal shoe with a good running style will solve any issue.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - does this include flat feet though? I do not have arches, so I don't have any support in the middle of my feet.

• Just for something completely different we had 41 degrees today. image no running for me today. I'm getting seriously worried that I'm not getting enough miles in my legs.

Don't forget the snow shoes/chainsimage
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Orbutt - From what I've read on the subject it means any type of foot. The argument presented by the minamilst side of the debate is that it's running form that causes uinjury and shows trying to correct that for you don't correct the form and thus don't prevent the injury.

I'm sure Dannirr or someone else can give a better overview of it than me. I've been lucky that since starting running in 2006 I've been injured twice. A calf injury in 2011 when playing football and my current groin injury. On more than one occasion it's been mentioned to me why buying running shoes that I'm really lucky as I have a very neutral gait and flat feet. That was presented to me as a reason I seldom get injured.

MM - Remember to pack/buy winter clothing for your move. Also when over in the UK 41 isn't something you'll ever see!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - the theory is this - you have no arch because shoes in general, and shoes with support in particular, do not allow your small foot muscles to work as much as they should and are thus weak and unable to work as the spring they should be. The arch collapses as it is not used. Minimalist shoes, in theory, allow all those foot muscles to grow and strengthen and "support" is no longer needed. One f the reasons plantar fasciitis is rare amongst minimalist runners. Some people have reported their arches have developed or become deeper when before they were flat footed.

I have seen big changes in my feet since I started with Vibrams - they are noticeably broader and more muscular. Others have commented on them too.

Interestingly, the incidence of flat-footedness in 3rd world countries - where shoes are never worn in childhood - is almost zero. Even RunnerscWorld shoe selector no longer uses the wet footprint as a guide anymore.

I'm not suggesting its a cure all, or trying to convert you - but it's something to think about. DV has had good results with once a week barefoot running. Even just some barefoot/minimalist running will strengthen feet.

TD - nothing new in the Lance interview, other than he blames no-one but himself, fully admits it and takes responsibility for it. But - he also kinda says heis sorry he got caught. He is very candid.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I am mightily impressed with my yaktrax I have to say!  5 miles done in the snow and slush and I just ran normally.  Slightly harder work in snow though.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

20 miles planned for tomorrow but I'll tale a risk with the trail shoes as I don't have YakTrax. I've changed my route so it's a bit flatter. It will be hard enough work without lumpy hillls to get over.

SB

• MM- we had much the same on Thursday, ran 75 minutes at 11am when it was 36 degrees.

Bought a bag of ice and added it to a bathfull of cold water, very chilly.

Was still 30 deg. at 5am the next morning.

I'm amazed at all the training being carried out in the freezing conditionsimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz1 - you call me crazy... but I've just seen you 'like' the Great Wall Marathon image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Peter - Being a northerly European I'd rather run in -10 than +30. Anything above 15 and I'm melting.

The Great Wall Marathon looks cool, but I imagine it would be a killer.