Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

A little fast, methinks... I did start lap two thinking to myself that I would be suffering somewhat as the run went on! 

So, into mile two and, still feeling strong, I carried on at the same pace, despite having slight misgivings that I was doing too much too soon! The mile flew past and I overtook a few runners on the way round... As I got through about three quarters of a mile, I realised that I really wasn't working anywhere near as hard as I thought I would be and that I was actually feeling pretty comfortable, relatively speaking, at that pace. So I went a little faster! I finished mile two in 7m 10s...

Onto the final mile, and I felt like I was looking really good for a PB - I fully expected, as you might imagine from my pacings to this point, to pretty much crash and burn and be hanging on for the last half mile - I thought that I had probably done enough to be somewhere in the 22minutes bracket so I was feeling pretty chuffed. However, the mile went on and I felt fine. In fact, I felt really good and so I thought, stuff it, let's see what we can do. I sped up and really started to push myself. I went past more runners and could see that there wasn't actually that many more ahead of me (!), which really inspired me to keep going. I think a few of the people ahead had gone out too fast too soon and were flagging a little so I concentrated on hunting them down one by one! It certainly passed the time... I realised that I was getting really close to the finish and I was still feeling very strong so I actually managed to speed up a little more. The Garmin bleeped the end of mile three and I had a quick glance down to find out I had flown through it in 6m 50s!! Got to be pleased with that!

I turned off the lap onto the final stretch and really pushed it as hard as I could - it was a proper eyeballs-out-on-stalks sprint to the finish and I checked my Garmin when I got home to find out that I did that last little bit at a shockingly quick pace of 4m 53s per mile...!

Flushed with success, I got handed my token for 12th place overall and the results email later informed me that I placed first in my age category...

My official time and, as you may well have guessed by now, a massive new PB for me, was an absolutely stonking 21m 33s - 90 seconds faster than I have run in the last eighteen months and a full 49 seconds faster than my previous PB!!

Needless to say, I am absolutely delighted and actually a little bit in shock that I managed to go that fast... Looks like those speed sessions have been paying off!

• Also, I'm not sure if she has been reading this thread or not, but I want to say massive thank you to my good friend Laura, who allowed me to drag her out of bed at an ungodly hour on the weekend and make her stand out in the freezing cold for nearly an hour, keeping an eye on my son while I ran... so thank you Laura!

Speaking of photos, here are a couple of action shots...

/members/images/744786/Gallery/parkrun3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAa7N3_CQAEEJFT.jpg:large

And having a well-earned cuddle at the end image

/members/images/744786/Gallery/parkrun4.jpg

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Brilliant racing Steve - well done!  imageimageimage

• Great run, Steve. Well done! Proud of you.

And as a reward image here are your revised paces. Let's try them this week and see how they feel. It's important the the 'descriptor' of each session 'eg. jog/comfortable/steady' feels like what it says on the tin!

PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 9.45-10.30 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) = 8.40-9.30 mins per mile

Steady = 8.05-8.40

Fast (Tempo) = 7.35-7.50 (Or for intervals 7.15-7.30)

Speedwork - dependent on distance

Week 5 w/c 14th January
    Monday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 5 miles STEADY
    Wednesday 4 MILE JOG
    Thursday: REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Friday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 4 x 600m (or 2.5 MINS) in 2.20-2.26 per rep with 2.5 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4 MILES)
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 12 MILE: 9.45-10-10.15 depending on surface OFF-ROAD GOOD OPTION
    MILEAGE 25

I'm dashing out now - have a marathon workshop to run tomorrow - please don't let it snow image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Well Done Steve on new PB imageimageimage

Mine was not as fast, but I did enjoy it just as much image It was a trial parkrun, there hasn't been a parkrun in my area before, it was great, so I hope it takes off.

Also, just want to say to Sam, (sorry if I'm creeping here) I had your book for xmas, 'marathon start to finish' and I'm finding it really really helpful.

• Top work and a well earned PB Steve! Congratulations. Just need to sort the diet now!!!image

Really pleased things are going well for you. Keep it up mate!!!

• Steve, fantastic effort mate, well done on the PB.
  • Wow! Fab race report and well done on the fantastic new PB!!

So ... 1 or 2 takeaways between now and Paris ... eek!!

• Really glad you enjoyed the Park Run and pulled off a new PB, excellent effort. I'm a keen Park Run runner, my usual course being Milton Keynes and I'm looking to have completed my 50th run by the end of the month. I got to reading your blog late last night, it's of keen interest to me as I'm looking to achieve a sub 4 hour marathon and I've entered the MK marathon as my goal. Pacing was of great interest, I'm finding that I go out and tend to run close to my marathon pace on what's supposed to be easy runs. I've also picked up on the shoe lacing post, I ran the Park Run today with my shoes correctly laced...thanks for the instruction. Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to following your story.
  • Wowsers - finally caught up with myself and thought I'd pop by to see how it's going only to find you're flying - whoop whoop imageimageimage

Same question from me (as for RRR) - if you had to sum up how things are going to date in one word...what would it be?

• I just wanted to quickly pop in to say a huge congratulations on your new 5k PB, your doing brilliantly.
  • Looking at your revised paces, there almost identical to mine (and what minni used last year) for a sub 3:30!!!
  • Morning Steve, Sorry just noticed an error on the training plan that means you have 2 consecutive rest days (yesterday, Sunday 13th and today Monday 14th). If posible could you move either Tuesday or Wednesday's run to today and take Tuesday as rest/low impact cross training day instead.

Am about to post the remainder of the next 4 week block.image

• Here's the full picture for the next four weeks;

PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 9.45-10.30 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) = 8.40-9.30 mins per mile

Steady = 8.05-8.40

Fast (Tempo) = 7.35-7.50 (Or for intervals 7.15-7.30)

Speedwork - dependent on distance

Week 5 w/c 14th January
    Monday 5 miles STEADY
    Tuesday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Wednesday 4 MILE JOG
    Thursday: REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Friday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 4 x 600m (or 2.5 MINS) in 2.20-2.26 per rep with 2.5 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4 MILES)
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 12 MILE: 9.45-10-10.15 depending on surface OFF-ROAD GOOD OPTION
    MILEAGE 25

Week 6 w/c 21st January
    Monday REST or non-impact cross training
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 5 MILE BUILD UP (8.50-7.40)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 3 MILE COMFORTABLE + 3 ACCELERATION STRIDES
    Saturday TRAINING DAY – MILE WINDERS (APPROX 7 TOTAL)
    Sunday 12 MILE LONG RUN: 6 @9.40, 6 SPEEDING UP TO @9.05
    MILEAGE 29

Week 7 w/c 28th January
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 6 MILES FAST (Suggest structuring this as 2 easy, 3 fast, 1 easy)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 1 x 800m in 3.16-3.24 per rep with 3 min jog, 2 X600M IN 2.20-2.26 with 2.5 min jog, then 2 x 400m in 94-98 secs with 2 min jog between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 14 MILES EASY
    MILEAGE 29

Week 8 w/c 4th February
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday MILE EASY 5 X 1 MILE AT ‘FAST INTERVALS’ PACE WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERY JOG. ½ MILE EASY 6.5
    Thursday: Rest or low impact cross training
    Friday 4 MILE STEADY ON HILLY ROUTE - OR TRY CONTINUOUS HILLS: 4 X 4 MINS OF CONTINUOUS EFFORT UP AND DOWN HILL WITH 1 MIN JOG BETWEEN SETS. SANDWICHED BETWEEN STEADY PACED RUN
    Saturday REST
    Sunday 7 MILE COMFORTABLE
    MILEAGE 21.5

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Wow Steve - what a fantastic PB! Absolutely amazing improvement. Congratulations mate! Really chuffed for you. Think you might be the first of the famous 5 to set a PB since training started!

• Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

Hey Ruth loving the rules!! any advice for someone looking to lose weight and train for a (nearly) marathon??

Put on a some examples of your food like Steve has done and I will gladly make some suggestions!image How much weight do you think you need to lose?

Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Haha sorry, been a mega-busy couple of days! Will give a full update on training tomorrow image

Ruth, I'm definitely up for the challenge... Intrigued as to what number four is though...

Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

Hey Ruth loving the rules!! any advice for someone looking to lose weight and train for a (nearly) marathon??

Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Haha sorry, been a mega-busy couple of days! Will give a full update on training tomorrow image

Ruth, I'm definitely up for the challenge... Intrigued as to what number four is though...

So pleased you are up for this.

Number four- is not excluding beer! I think this is fine every now and again, just do not do long sunday run with a  hangover!

Number 4 was simple: no binge eating on bad foods. Either cut them out or start to control how much you have ( but often most people find dont have them in the house  or not to start on these foods if out and about as once you start.....). Think before you start on these foods and what will you gain by eating the family size pack!

Once you have settled into steps 1-4, I would like you to start thinking about race day nutrition: what will your breakfast be? what is your plan for fluid and food on route?

Lastly, WELL DONE ON PB!

Ruth

• Hey Steve. I liked your interview in the latest Asics video. How is it going with the cutting down of fried food? Does it still count as a takeaway if you eat the same meal in a restaurant? See you in a couple of weeks!

• Do you have a link for the video?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah, here's the link:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/video-asics-flagship-store-day/9174.html

Hey, Stevo - what's going on here? Sub 4? You should surely smash it. Amazing 5K performance, don't be peaking too early now image

That vid is fantastic. You all come across really well. I'm just thinking back to my bootcamp mini interview - I think that alone was enough to seal my fate. Mr Bean would have done better.

Come clean, did they give you any coaching or are you all just naturals?image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Ah, you little film star, you'll be doing autographs next, n writing your Paris medal acceptance speech. image 

• Hi Steve, great work on Saturday's run - totally awesome result! I knew the sprint training across Basildon would help...image

As for the homemade curry plans, you know we're ALWAYS up for that here. Now, you just need to convince Ruth that your speciality onion bhajis are allowed too... image
  • Hi Steve, I know it might be too short notice but was wondering about swapping your Friday speedwork session to today if possible as snow is forecast for then and this might be your last opportunity to do it (unless track is already icy).

• Hi Sam, unfortunately I'm in the city today so probably won't be home for a good while... I'll give them a call and see what time the track is open until.

Apologies for the lack of posts everybody, it's been a hell of a week so far! Thanks for all your lovely comments about the PB image
  • Thankyou Malcs I will have a look at the vid after work...will give me something to look forward to.

This weather is awful, just so glad I've the TM to fall back on. Hope the speed work goes ok if you manage to fit it in.

Sam/Ruth I was wondering, If I have my lunch at 13:00 and run at 20:00 is that long enough to allow me to be running on empty to get my body use to burning my fat stores or does the fast have to be for longer? I was also wondering if it is long enough if i have one fruit sucky sweet in that time, say an hour before my run would that stop it from being effective at depleting my stores? Many thanks
  • Hi Sarah

Yes, that will be long enough to be fasted  but what is the point of the session? If it  is an interval/intense session you will flag and it will not be a quality session. Quality sessions should  be just that. Also you would be better to do a run before breakfast as this sort of fast during the day is not recommended - are you planning to eat anything? not even a meat salad? The training low is not a fasting diet, it is training low in carbs . The idea of training low can be made to happen in many ways but I have never heard of the fasting during the day method and I would not do this. You can train low by just eating more protein and salads but with a small amount of carbs in meals and you will still have low stores, if do this sort of diet for a few days when training hard OR  do a hard session  or a 90min plus hard run and then no carbs for a few hours after this depleting session then start on high protein and salad type diet and the next session you will be low to start with. Only some sessions or a block of session should be carried out low .  

I know this training low has evidence but I do not do this with my athletes until they have absolutely got everything else right in their diet and their body composition is optimal as these will get you results. Then we may add in phases of training low to seek a slight edge.

I do not mean to be negative but think you can get into more trouble training low unless really planned out what session/block of training you plan to do this for and fully understand how to train low. I feel I may annoy people about this post but feel I am here to give advice and do not want people to start lacking motivation as they feel so low in fuel or to not get the benefits of training low as the progress to do this is not right for that runner. image

Ruth

• Hi Ruth, thankyou ever so much for getting back to me. I tend to eat my lunch at work at 11:00 and 13:00 (split it into two). I then generally leave work at 19:00-20:00 and either go to the gym (doing resistence training first) or go straight for a run. I then have my tea at around 21:30 at night. Occasionally if im really hungry I will grab a sweet to keep me going. I dont really do this through choice as im generally starving by 18-19:00 but do it due to work and wanting to run after work. I was hoping that I would be able to use these runs as the ones to teach my body to burn fat so that I dont have to run at the weekends without breakfast as I really do love my breakfast and im not sure I could give it up. However if this is a better option then I can do it a couple of times im sure, if it wont do me more harm than good. 

I tend to do one interval session on one evening and then an 8 miler steady on another evening. The other nights I play netball (but I tend to have an innocent pot for tea at work before I drive to them).

If I ran before I went to work I would probably have to get up at about half 5 and it would still be alot of rushing around so I prefer to do my runs in the evening mid week, but then morning runs on my days off (fri-sun)

• I have taken snacks e.g fruit to work...thinking that I will eat them later in the day but I have no self control and end up eating them with my lunch image

• Just watched the video...much better than my attempt at stardom! image

• Evening Bacon Steve! Just thought i'd nip on and check you're still doing your training and not cruising along on your glory of a new PB!! image

• Congrat Steve on your training so far keep at it. Just had a nice run through the snow on the trail just my prints and the odd badger and fox prints to look at.......bootiful and the sky is heavy still so more to come round here I reckon. Happy running all. Time for a warm up and a coffee I reckon.image