running a half marathon on spinning and weight training sessions

Hi,

I have just ran a 15k race with just spinning classes 3x week and weight training 3x week. My only running sessions were 50 minutes of very easy running on the tready every 10 days.

I felt really good for the whole race and did an OK time so now am planning on doing a half in about 4 weeks.

If I run once a week what kind of running sessions i should concentrate on?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Hang on, so you're going to do a half in 4 weeks?   First ten days you are resting from the race you've just done, then you're running, then you're resting for ten days.  So thats your twenty days or 4 weeks: a grand total of 2 runs altogether.

And on that you want to run a half marathon?  Nothing to stop you, but I have to ask, why exactly?  It won't be a very pleasant experience.  You'd be better of gradually getting your runs up to three times a week or something and getting a good mileage base, focussuing on short events like 5ks or 10s if you want to race once in a while.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why do you only want to run once a week?

If you want to do more races the best way is to just run more.
  • Thank you for your help.

Quest, you are right. I decided not to do it.

Millsy, I only run a little because I am just starting back after years of not running. I find it helpful to do weight work as it makes me stronger and the spinning works my body without the impact.

I will cut down on spinning and start to run more.

Thank you very much!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting back into the running. The half will be quite tough on your legs. You probably have the lungs to cope with it but your legs may struggle. Might be worth getting out on the roads a couple of times a week just to get the legs used to the pounding.
  • I ran a half marathon on minimal training as I carried a good degree of fitness into my running from cycling, spin classes etc. that was last April, I hope to be running again within the next six weeks and will approach it very differently this time.
  • Good call Utlra.  Let us know how you get on with the increased running.  Take it gently and it will gradually come back to you.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One longish run and a few strides should be ok.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Like Quest says, you're only talking a couple of runs!

There's not really any real benefit 2 mere runs is going to do for your half marathon performance.

So we're talking confidence boosts now. Getting a 9-10mile run in twice before the race will see you right. You can add the rest with the adrenaline of race day.

• Hi,

Thank you very much for all your help.

Now I am running 2x week. Hoping to go for 3.

One long and one at tempo pace.

Have a 1/2 marathon on the 28th of April.