ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm SO glad today is a rest day! blizzard conditions here!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jen - Mrs Malcs has banned her parents from leaving the house until Monday image  Keep us up to date with the depth as it rises. Here it's only just started so there's just a dusting.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - I'm doing the Canterbury 10 next Sunday. Last time I did it was 1994 when I ran 59:18 - would like to be under 70 this time but that will be a very good effort. I should be more disciplined really and run it as a MP effort so about 73 minutes but you know what it is like to get a number on your front!

It was absolutely freezing first thing for my 9 miler. Luckily I got out before the snow came. I just hope it doesn't put paid to the weekends planned runs. meant to be doing a 16 with 8 at MP on Sunday but that won't happen if there is snow on the ground. I will try to do 16 but at a slower speed though.

Has anyone heard from tonysonthebeach?

jenf - great day for a rest day!image

RRR - stop going on about TR24. It's not my fault I'm on holiday that week!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Not heard from Tony but he's a very busy chap. 

DS2 - yes, it's a nightmare trying not to race a race. 59:18 - blimey! Weekend is going to be tough for all of you hoping to put big miles in. Ady is already talking treadmills. Couldn't imagine doing 2hrs+ on a tread (more than 30 mins is bad enough). If there's a fresh layer overnight then it could be runnable. We can only wait and see.

Sarah - not sure you're getting any snow, lucky you! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I may have to don some XC spikes tomorrow and run round the farmers field behind my house. Luckily, I can walk straight out of my back gate onto the field so no tarmac and then woodland for 10 miles with trails through them so I could even do a long run that way, but 16 miles in XC spikes????

• Its arrived...only about an inch has settled before it stopped....I'm hoping that's it for the weekend!
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Just back from a nice 10miler, bit icey in places but good fun! Sun even peeped out for a bit! I love the crunchey snow, I felt like a big kid. image Anyone else manage a run this morning?

DS2 , do your spikes just clip over your normal trainers? or am I thinking of something else?

Malcs, I think the in laws can be allowed out... its not too bad here now!

• my race tomorrow has been cancelled : (
  • bad luck  but its understandable  image

• Snow over in Birmingham is crazy, had some great fun out in it with Oscar though, treated him to his first sleigh, in the spirits of the old mastercard adverts; Plastic Sleigh £9.50, look on little boys face as he glides along the pavements, priceless!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great stuff Indy!

We hit the piste today too. My eldest is too old now to adopt the traditional, horizontal sledging positions. Once you hit double figures vertical (snow surfing) is the only way to go unless you want to make a serious dent in your street cred image

Managed 10 miles in the snow today - fantastic stuff! Been coming down all day so the kids are praying for school to be off tomorrow. 

Jenf - good to know, I will release the in-laws image

• Hey Guys!! Well after 3 days of sledging I'v about had enough!!

In the last week I have ran a grand total of....... once and that was a 3 miler! I have swam 4 times and walked EVERYWHERE! is this helping the training??  humm

Best thing I brought this winter is clampons or what ever they are called, they are granny fabness! strap them on over your boots then never slip at all! Everyone MUST get a pair!

• wish work would be off tomorrow!

No proper hills in York for sledging : (

I reckon it counts tigger....still time on the feet!
  • Come down to Derby Sarah! we have loads! I have 3 hilly parks near me perfect for sledging! I even had a snow boarding lesson off my brother, never ran anyone over...... they kinda heard I was coming and got out of the way! never fell over, launched myself into the snow to stop but never actually fell over!!

Oh and the clampon things are awesome for running on! only did 3 miles as short of time after swim and dogs! but didin't slip!

• going to have to google clampons...when I first read it I misread it and thought you had put something else on your feet!!

I had some snow boarding lessons at shef ski village...i was useless at it, dont think I managed to get down the slope once without falling over.....I decided to stick to skiing once my pre paid lessons ran out!
  • I think they're called cramponsimage I've heard Yaktrax make the best but I've not tried them, they do special running ones too.

• I got mine from milliet!  I know they sell them in our local running shop.  Ran again in them today, I'm not sure if its advisable to do long runs.

Told you I didn't know what they were called!! I just call them awesome!

• Still loads of snow here- not been out running since Friday and getting really grumpy and fidgety image Also got an interview for a new job on 4th Feb so stressed with that as well. How are you all managing to get out??

However, thought about a change in race plans and thinking of Valencia marathon in November- my wife suggested we go together (after reading it in RW!) as it is our anniversary, she could do the 10k while i do marathon and then we have a couple of child free days hol after- does seal of approval get any better than that??

Sarah- fancy the wrap up and run 10k in Graves park in Sheffield end of Feb?

Any one fancy rock and roll 1/2 in edinburgh 14 April?- looks a nice course and less manic than the EMF; the finish is in the centre so no mad trek back from the finish either.

DS- what did you think of the plan?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Good luck with interview Clive.I think the Valencia plan is ace!

tigger, I have a great picture in my mind of you bouncing around in crampons in the snow! Not sure I'd fancy a long run in them!! I still have nightmares about walking 10hrs in them in Nepal last year!!!

I'm fed up with the cold now... just didn't have the mojo to go out for run this eve after work image. I've got tomorrow afternoon off though n I've promised myself a nice long run on the beach, frozen sand is good!!

• crampons still sound funny...maybe its just be...must have got my childish head on today!

Clive Ive been cheating and done all my running for the last week on the treadmill, including a 17.8 miler on sunday!

I was wanting a 10k...so that might be perfect, do you know which weekend its on?

Good luck with your interview...what job is it for?

Hi Jen....i dont think ive ever seen frozen sand....my brain cant even picture what it would be like!
  • Eeek Sarah! 17.8 miles on a TREADMILL!! Wow!! Don't think I could manage that ... how did you stave off the boredom?

Good luck with interview Clive!!!

Ooh Tigger - I've been running in Yak Trax - think they might be similar - like a rubber circle with metal springs on and a strap over your foot? They've been great in the snow and ice - did 16 miles in them on Sunday and didn't have a single slip or fall!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

well I did my beach run...it was a white out! but it was SO SO much fun. snow on sand is perfect running surface. image

• RRR - yep so are mine! Checked the name on them! They are awesome, really bouncy when you hit a road that has been cleared!! MOst I have done is 6.5miles but loved it!

Good luck for the interview Clive!

Sarah  I don't think its really a childish head..... more what 17.8 miles on a dreadmill does for you!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=yaktrax&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8915256033&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5505989922141383295&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6ensjrvbe0_b

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Finally managed a run today after 2 days of no chance due to the roads being totally iced up. Knocked out a 13.3 miler in 1:44 so not too bad.

Will have a read back later and comment further.

Sarah - My record was 30k on a treadie - I think I have just laid down the gauntlet!image. Have you spoken to minni? Just read the awful news about her puppy on the Sub 3:15. I need to find the words but am a bit lost.

Clive - good luck with the interview. Have had a good read of the schedule. I like the look of it. I started the 18 week P&D afterall a couple of weeks ago and although I like some aspects of it I'm not sure on some. It is heavy on base which I think i need right now and i can feel the strength increasing but I think I'd like something a bit more tailored in future rather than generic. I will see how P&D progresses.

It is frustrating with the conditions. For the first time this winter I regretted cancelling my gym membership! I ran 11.25 miles in the snow covered woods behind my house on Sunday but it was rutted under foot in places and I kept turning my ankles over so decided it wasn't worth the risk thereafter.

Have you made it out today?

• Evening all,

No made it out today despite finishing work early as was waiting for a phone call from one of the local GP commissioners, but needless to say he didn't ring so definately going at lunchtime tomorrow.

job is for Consultant Upper GI Surgeon in Sheffield- it is the same job that i do now, but as the cancer work is likely to move to sheffield the only way I can potentially influence carrying on doing it in the long term means moving. Too stressful though!!

Sarah, run is the "Wrap up and Run' 10k at Graves Park on Sunday 24th Feb. I'm on call on the Saturday but will likely still do it. I'll follow your heels as you're in better shape than me right now!!

Can't believe you can all run so far on a treadmill...

• hi Sarah, i just sing along to my music, daydream about being somewhere exotic or winning the lottery or I simply just watch people coming and going. Started getting bored at about mile 16 on sunday though.

Those clampons look like some sort of torture device in the first two pics!

Jealous of your run on the snowy beach Jen...bet it looks breath taking.

Hi DS2, you sounds like you was a bit of a coiled spring today...thats a fast 13.3 miles in training! I havent ran outdoors since it snowed as its been far to icy. I was working when it was the fresh stuff unfortunately or I was on a pre race rest! I was supposed to have a netball match tonight but our pitch was still icy so it was cancelled. Went to the gym instead to do some cross training on the exercise bike instead. 30km/18.75 mile....hmm I reckon I can do it as long as I have my jelly babies! Was awful new about Minnis dog, she must be devastated.

Hi Clive.....those GPs! Which hospital in sheffield would you end up being based in our would you be across sites? Would it be a better commute for you in sheffield aswell? good luck, I hope you get it. There are so many changes in medicine now, and alot of them are not for the better! Im doing a 15 mile race on the Saturday (belvoir challenge) so I dont think I will be able to make wrap up and run, but if you can pay on the day I will see how im feeling, but take it more as a training run. How come all the races you want to do clash!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

hi sarah, coiled spring is a good description. Had some sad news yesterday when a lifetime friend lost her battle with breast cancer yesterday morning. We knew it was coming but it still hits you hard when the news comes. I played hockey with her Dad, initially, when I was up and coming and he was near the end of his 1st tean career and then played with her brother for 20 odd years so I'd pretty much grown up with the family. I saw her dad and brother last weekend and they were preparing to go down and say goodbye before she was placed in an induced coma (she lives in Devon).

I was glad to run this morning I can tell you. I don't know how the likes of you and Clive deal with this stuff on a daily basis!

Clive - really wish you well with the job thing. So many changes everywhere and it certainly doesn't help the stress levels. It'll be good to get running tomorow!

Jen - that must have been amazing running on the beach!

Sarah - I'm sure you will beat my record on the dreadmill!

• Just had a totally kick ass swimming session... kids bedtime cannot come soon enough!!

Sorry to hear your news DS2, our thoughts and big cuddles are sent your way!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Tigger!

How are you? is hubby back in Colchester now?