2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

It is now image.

• Can't run but have managed to walk 10 miles today instead, although not in one go!!  So definately on the mend.image

Hope everyones alright in the snow.

• Hello. I've been lurking here for a few months and am about to take the first (and possibly last) marathon plunge for Cologne, which is an autumn event. This is mainly because I'd booked a few shorter events for the earlier part of the year and wanted to concentrate really heavily on the Cambridge Half in March and then spend much of the summer doing LSRs in the evening sun and finally shedding the paunch once and for all. Keep writing and I'll keep being inspired as you tick the days down to April!

• Welcome sevendaughters - from your name you have your hand full for the time for marathon training image Whats your target for the HM?

Well done for getting out Teknik. and for the 90 Mins of Ygoa - you must be as bendy as a bendy thing !!

Sensible decision NP - Enjoy your run in the snow tomorrow. 

Nice to hear your out and about Kaz !!

Feeling smug here after 10 miles late afternoon in the snow. Quite tiring to be honest - it certainly makes you pick your feet up on every stride.  

Have a good weekend folks and keep safe !!

• Good training guys, especially in the cold weather!

--------

Upper body weights this morning, as well as ~ 5miles round trip on the bike and a couple of lengths of the pool. Put my running gear on an hour ago, then decided I wasn't going out! I have either Friday or Sunday as a non-running day so as long as I get out Sunday it's no problem.

Weight has dropped by about 3lb this week, providing thats a true reading I'll hopefully see my weight reach 11'xx next week. Would like to see sub 11 before Lochaber, but I think that's simply unrealistic.

• 6 - 8 inches of snow here in Birmingham , it's either a treadmill run or taking to the pavements in the morning, have just bought some Brooks cascadia trial shoes so may give them a go instead of my normal Ghost 5.
  • AGF: fortunately I don't have seven kids! Target for Cambridge half is sub 1.26. Ran 1.29 in difficult conditions at the weekend (sand for 7k, freezing temperatures, wind) and I've six weeks left to get some real quality training done. Target for first marathon is simply to compete and complete!

Well in on the 10M in the snow, that's dedication. It was a planned rest today for me, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

• Evening..late check in for me slept all day and ran before work tonight

AGF When is Brighton ? is it the same day as the half ? my son is training for and running the half..and I know its soonish.

Stewart it may be worth as mace says checking that MHR I got a higher reading during a very hilly 10k than when I tried doing it the usual way by running up hill on my own..

Tek ..hot yoga ? whats that ? or is that an obvious question..just normal yoga done in a hot room ?  sounds horrible ..lol

Seven daughters great half times..welcome keep posting...and training of course

Stewart well done on the weight loss...mine seems to stay the same even when marathon training..I am always so bloody hungry at the moment and cant ignore the pangs..image

Commiserations to those who haven't been ab;e to get out on the road,...

not too bad here very cold with light rain..

MLR tonight 12.4 in 1.52 9.36..9.28..9.20..9.18..9,02..8.56...9.07..8.59...8.49..8.50..8.40..8.38..3.30

HR 135 - 153  ......AVERAGE 72.2% (for the hr stat fans...)

• image some snow would probably nbe an improvement here just wet/sleety, cold and windy - not looking very enting for an LSR tomorrow (or anything else for that matter!) 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Well tomorrows race has now been cancelled.... so will run my hill.

Welcome seven d's.

AGF well done getting out for 10.

NN great running well done getting out.
  • NN, the 188 reading I got was the other week on a 10 mile run with a off road section up to the mast, so I would imagine its a few beats more than that, good run tonight as well looks like you finished strong

Tek, good run, I'm think about doing a body balance class should help with flexibility

NP, thanks again for the advice re swapping out trainers, I've ordered a new pair of precision 13, will alternate with the ronins, hit the 12st mark last week, delighted

Sevendaughters, welcome and good luck

AGF, sounds like a good run, I've only ran once in the snow it's hard work

Stuart, congrat on weight loss, hope you get your run in on Sunday

No run for me today, decided to rest up legs are feeling better, I was thinking about doing a park run tomorrow but that may not be the wisest thing to do, so ill opt for an easy run probably 8 miles
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Some good running yesterday, guys. NP- my sympathies on the weather!image Our trial parkrun has been cancelled due to heavy snow.

No internet connection yesterday, but managed to run! Best of both worlds- made a big snowman in my garden with my boy, then discovered that only 2 miles away the roads were snow free! 14m in 1.37.08 (6.56 av) followed by 1m warm downimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

That was handy.

• 8.35mile w/20.55 parkrun. Thought a PB was on, but fell apart on the hill at 2 miles. Ah well. Heart rate was through the roof this morning, not sure why. Hit 180 on my warm upimage

Gym later.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP sorry your race was cancelled - hope you enjoyed your hill

HM lolimage

Kaz well done on getting outimage

Sevend's welcome to the thread

AGF nice snowy 10 miler. Awesome mileage so far this month...

Stuart good cross training y'day, and nice running today. The HRM strap might be playing up in the cold - I get a bad contact until I've run a mile or two, even when using the gel.

MG I'm a big fan of Brooks Ghost 5 too...

NN yep it's yoga in a hot room. Not far off a sauna in factimage. Great low HR on that MLR, well done on the pacing.

OH eek horrible weather. Hope the LSR goes ok

Stewart - I'll do anything to improve my flexibilty and balance - lots of one-legged stuff. Hope you enjoy the easy 8 miler...

Jason great day y'dayimage, and well done on the medium run.

---

12.69m this morning - 6 on the road on my own, then joined the club for a trail run.  I had to lead it as the normal pathfinders were all absent. Went a bit further than normal, so I had about 30 grumbling clubmates by the time we got back, soaked by the sleet. Shameimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on leading the run Teknik, doesn't look like they had much to grumble about at 6.69 miles!

Shame about the parkrun Stuart but still a great time, better watch you are not coming down with something.

jason another cracking run - and a snowman! image

Stewart I hope you felt the benefit of the rest day.

NP shame about your race but that hill will be a great run as usual.

20 for me today. Now to have lunch and head into the office.

F

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Nice 20 Fiona, my first is a 21 next Sunday - cant understand why 21 and not 20 ??

Tek - lol @ mr unpopular ... Nice run

Nice building Jason - in both a running and snowman context

Stuart - good parkrun and re the HR i agree with Tek. I first had problems with my strap after I'd lost a bit of weight so it was loose. They also tend to work loose naturally I find so need to be tightened up. Mine only needs to be slightly loose to get bum readings and always sky high, never low. And to make extra sure, wet with saliva and then whack a blob of KY jelly on it ... Job's a good 'n

Reading back that last sentence doesn't sound like a running forum lol.

Made a last minute decision this morning to do my 15m LSR instead of the scheduled recovery 5m. With heavy snow forecast later today I thought it was best ... Actually it was my good wife who suggested it .

Felt a bit hard last few miles but then I guess that's why a recovery run was scheduled in the first place.

Have good weekends everyone
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good to get the 15 done mace. Had a laugh at your HR para but must try that! image I get rubbish readings for anything up to 2 miles at times but contacts not great round the ribs. Chopped a bit off the strap as far too long but still get dodgy readings.

Pleased to see you are on the mend kaz. image

AGF that's a good approach with Lulu, more honest than sneaking out the back door! Nice snowy 10 miles. image

Great MLR NN!

Hope the new shoes did well MG1.

Welcome 7D. image

F

• 18 miles on snow packed canal paths which were decent to run on and some pavements which were not so good as the snow had turned to slush. Fiona C the Brooks Cascadia trial shoes got there first proper outing and have to say they were very gripy and comfortable. Managed 2.39 - 8.59 9.12 9.03 8.53 8.48 8.56 8.40 8.44 8.37 8.54 8.58 8.45 8.42 8.43 9.09 8.56 8.49 8.54 , more than happy with that in the artic conditions.

Now for some rest, hope everyone has a good weekend of running
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC Hope the legs are feeling fresher today.

Jason well done on finding a clear stretch for the 14 yesterday and this mornings run.

HM4 do you have any running planned?

SM6 Well done on the park run+ the extra miles enjoy the gym.

Teknik Well done on the 13 miles funny how some folk just dont go out in the cold or complain when they doimage.

Fiona another fantastic 20 into the VLM bank not sure what it was like with you but very windy here. Depending on what top I wear depends what sort of HR readings I get, I think sometimes static can build up  and give you false reading.....

Mace well done on swopping and easy five for 15,"wet with saliva and then whack a blob of KY jelly on it ... Job's a good 'n" You been reading the wifes fifty shadesimageLOL when I read thatimage 

Well ran up and down my hill added on two miles to give me just over 10 milesimage been two years since I ran up in so much snowimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 Cross post well done on your  18 milesimage

• Jason, nice 14 miler, strange there was no snow a few miles away, bit of a result

Stuart, shame about the parkrun pb but there is always next week

Tek, nice run, I hope the group appreciated your leadership

Fiona, another 20 in the bank, take it easy at work

Mace, these women folk do talk a lot of sense, enjoy the 5 mile recovery tomorrow, I use ECG gel works a treat

MG1, good running in the snow

NP, another good hilly run and the snow would have made it harder

Just back from my run and photo shoot, some of the JS group were asked to volunteer to be in a promo pics for the half marathon, we were used to silhouette the word "Inverness" it actually looked quite good.

8 miles easy on a route I haven't ran since the summer, the legs are feeling a lot better, I did feel a little discomfort in the last mile, but after a good stretch they feel good now.

8miles 1:28:xx, @10:59mm, 140(74%)
  • Jason - well done on the miles and the snowman - I bet your lad loved that !!

Stuart - what a great Parkrun in the middle of your 8 miles... Top work if you make it to the gym later too !!

Well done Tek - do they not realise that extra miles make you fitter ?  image

Blimey Fiona - 20 miles followed by the office. hats off to you. You failed to mention that you did the 20 at a very good speed too !!

Excellent Hill Work NP - offroad and in snow. Lots of dedication on this thread at the moment by everyone. 

A good run too stewart - well done. glad the niggle went after the stretch. 

Good man mace - sounds like your flexing your plan well to stay on track !!

MG - 18 miles in snow is a very very good run !  Hard as nails !

I decided to go to the gym for a run today. The snow knackered me out a bit yesterday and it looked a little dangerous this morning. ( not really - but a good an excuse as any ).  Planned to do 10 miles to take me up to 60 for the week - but ended up doing 16+ in the end. Thats 45 miles in the last 3 days - so tomorrow is a rest day image 

• AGF, 16 mile in the gym, now that's hard core.

I forgot to mention, a distance PB, 50.7 miles for the week, image
  • Weather not as bad as forecast with still no significant snow in the far north (if you discount a light dusting on the hills)
    Stll not warm at 3°C with some wind chill on top
    18 miles D&D on mostly road (snow free) but taking in the icy track over Marwick Head.

JSN as you say the best of all worldsimage
    SM6 good goingimage
    Tek Bet they (the 30) enjoyed it really image
    FionaC I'd be napping at work  if I did 20 miles before!image
    Good to get the 15 done even if it was hard work Mace
    NP
    good run in the snow - were there good views from the top?
    MG well done on getting out and the new Brooks Cascadia held their grip
    AGF rather you than me, but well done (I have yet to darken the doors of a gymimage)

• Tek - Nice run, even if the clubmates didn't enjoy itimage

Mace - Hahaimage Good idea moving the LSR to avoid the worst oft he weather, might do that myself.

Fiona - Well done on the 20

MG - Great running!

NP - Sounds a good run, a bit of snow adds some excitment!

Stewart - Nice run today and great total for the weekimage

AGF - 16 miles in the gym would be torture for me, so well done on getting it done! Good total for the week, enjoy the day off tomorrow!

OH - Good run, no swimming today?image

-------

25 minutes of lower body weights done, though I didn't get the chance to squatimage

Would lack of sleep potentially raise HR? Just trying to figure out why it was sooo high this morning...   

• AGF that's awesome running on the treadmill, your boredom tolerance level is impressive!
  • SM6 nah, they went at 8:45 so I wimped out of swimming. My excuse was that I had to get the LSR done (although it has to be said there would still have been plenty of time after an 8:45 start ... but 8:45 on a Saturday morning? ... come on guys!)
  • and yes, lack of sleep can potentially raise your HR as any other stressor.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    SM6- nice parkrun +

Mace, Fiona and MG- well done on leading he charge on the early weekend long runs

NP- glad you enjoyed the snow in- hope it doesn't get in the way too much....

AGF- the snowman was great fun- but glad I didn't have to run through snow which, as you know, is HARD! But hen again, so is 16 on a treadmill! Lol!

OH- sounds like you've got he best of he weather! Bit grim further south in the Glen Coe area I hear from a friend who beat a hasty retreat from the mountains.....

Bit of a quiet day for me- an easy paced 8 this morning and an even easier 6.5 this afternoon

20 planned for tomorrow Then a RECOVERY week in double figures