Running in the snow . . .

Just back from a nice run in the snow, a bit slippery in places so more of a slow plod really but very enjoyable. Didn't see many people about, the odd dog walker and that’s about it, certainly no other runners . . . anybody else venture out today? or planning to?

Comments

• Yes I did! We had a good 5 inches of snow in Wiltshire yesterday and with a cold night following much of it had iced over making the pavements pretty dangerous. However, undeterred I stuck to the road edge (not many cars about thankfully) and had a very enjoyable 5 miles @ 8min per mile pace image  Like Rich a handful of dog walkers to be seen but earingly quiet - was lovely!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just and back from a 6 mile off road run today. A lot easier off road than on by the looks of it. Hard work on the legs but had the whole place to myself. A distinct lack of the "new year runners" in all the kit.

I did have some bloke ask me if I was mad? Although it wasn't me that was carrying a carrier bag full of dog poo.
  • Must admit to really enhjoying running in freshlt fallen snow. I'm like a big kidimage

• hahaha that's brilliant. I often get referred to as 'mad' when out running and of course those lovely youths shouting 'run faster you ******!'

• 5 miles off road for me. Would have loved to have gone further, I'm taking it steady at the moment due to a tight calf I picked up a couple of weeks ago. No more slippery than the usual Leam valley mud, but I was slightly concerned that I might get cold feet once my shoes got wet.

No other runners (but there never is on my route) just a few dog walkers. I had our dog with me and she loves the snow.
  • Our black labrador loves running in snow tooimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm just back from a 10miler.. I agree with birkmyre, I'm a big kid, I love the sound of crunchy snow!

• Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    Just and back from a 6 mile off road run today. A lot easier off road than on by the looks of it. Hard work on the legs but had the whole place to myself. A distinct lack of the "new year runners" in all the kit.
    I did have some bloke ask me if I was mad? Although it wasn't me that was carrying a carrier bag full of dog poo.

Yes, I think I had a similar comment from a snow shoveller but it was largely unintelligible due to the fact I had my headphones on image

• 15 glorious offroad miles this morning. Rural Hampshire in the snow is heaven.
  • Did a very slow 5.5 miles in the thick snow this morning, quite slippery along the pavements and going down hills but managed to make it to the park in one piece so just did several laps!  Really enjoyed it! Saw loads of doggies, and one other runner who was practically sprinting along the very icy pavement image  

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Gentle 10k today as Stubbington 10k tomorrow. Love running in the snow.

• Snow free prakrun in Poole this morning. However I did have to forego my rest day yesterday especially to go for a play. Only 3.5 miles, but that was first thing, so managed to find some virgin patches to leave my footprints in.

• Am I the only one who wimps out of running on icy roads? I live in the country so a mix of snow, ice, puddles and potholes.  What sort of trainers do you wear?

• Teresa, you're definitely not the only one: I caved in and joined a gym to run on the treadmill when it's too icy. However, I will happily run in snow. I've been wearing Adidas Kanadias for snow, which has been working well, and when I've been out in ice (mainly last year) I wore yaktrax over my road shoes.

• No Theresa, I won’t run on ice either . . . at the movement in my area (East Mids) the snow on the pavements and around the local park has not compacted too much yet, so there is still a fair amount of grip. I just run in my normal trainers, don’t have anything else anyway image . . . and more snow forecast around here tomorrow. 

• Short run with the dogs yesterday was fun. Went for a proper run up on the hill today - the open fell is brilliant in snow.  Great fun, with the snow varying from a dusting where the wind had blown it away to rather deep where it had dropped again. I went in up to my waist in a couple of places. My running mate did one descent on his bum (Oh, how I laughed!). At one point we were watching snowboarders on the hill below us. It was ok running on the lane to the first field as the snow had not been cleared and only tractors had managed to get through.

• I had a short run in the snow yesterday evening, by the light of my head torch - one lap of our parkrun course, as a risk assessment whetehr it was safe for today (I'm the ED). There were 54 runners today, which I thought was quite good given the snow and associated travel difficulties.Was going to be doing a 30-miler in the snow tomorrow (Winter Tanners) but it's been cancelled, so I'll have to see what I can organise for myself.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

20 miles for me in the snow.  Yaktrax definitely came into their own on the pavements!

• Lovely 9.5 miles at 6.30 this morning about 3 inch of snow so used the trail shoes. Saw one other runner on my way home. 

It was great then went out sledging with the kids which was even better image

• Lovely run yesterday, (snow day off work!), round quiet Wiltshire lanes through mostly crisp untouched snow, like running through a Christmas card, beautiful!

• Shoes are the issue for me...i am supposed to be doing 16 miles tomorrow, thought id stick to roads on road shoes as im a bit concerned my trail shoes wont have enough shock absorbtion for that kind of distance especially if the snow is melted on the road (no pavements in this neck of the woods!) 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I found it much easier to run off road today. Not as slippery. So if you can wear the trail shoes and get off road. Much less impact as well.
  • Sophie I thought the same but used the trail shoes anyway. I ran in the snow and when I felt my calfs aching due to the greater resistance I then ran on the road a bit to ease them off. 

• Did the parkrun in the snow today. Beautiful. Not too deep here.

• Lovely run today through the woods. Soft snow. Addidas Kanadias did well.  Place to myself.

Smug. image

• Not convinced trail shoes would make much difference on the pavements where I live in west London - the ice is compacting and I'm going to end up hurting myself! Was thinking of driving somewhere else or just going to where the pavements are clearer but other than Oxford street, I can't imagine anywhere would be clear enough yet. I suppose running on grass in a park might be an option?

Any Londoners got any suggestions for an ice-free surface today (Sunday) please? The are a couple of us locakly who are keen to get a run in this weekend without breaking our necks!

Thx
  • Couldnt make myself do the whole road thing, slapped on the trail shoes and did 16 miles trail - apart from stinging eyes from the snow all good!

Just watch out though - sledgers are creating ice rinks, had to cut through a park to loop back and went a cropper!