The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Day 33 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (18/01/13)

Target: 15.5 MILES PROGRESSION RUN: 5 @8.50, 5 @8.25, 5 @8.00 (1/2 MILE TO GET UP TO 8.50)

Actual: 16 Miles progression run: 6 @8.50, 5 @8:20, 5 @ 8.05 in 2:14:21 (@ 8:24m/m)

Mile Splits: 1st: 8:47m/m. 2nd: 8:49m/m. 3rd: 8:47m/m. 4th: 8:50m/m. 5th: 8:44m/m. 6th: 8:51m/m. 7th: 8:16 8th: 8:17m/m. 9th: 8:16m/m. 10th: 8:17m/m. 11th: 8:17m/m. 12th: 8:02m/m. 13th: 8:03m/m. 14th: 7:59 15th: 8:05 16th: 7:58

You little beauty! This has to be the best training session I've had so far and has boosted my confidence levels after yesterday's failed attempt at intervals in the snow.

Always, always listen to your coach! Last night I looked out the window and not a single part of me wanted to venture out the following morning for a long run. "I'll do it on the treadmill as the roads will just be too slippery. I won't gain anything from attempting to do it outside, other than knocking my confidence levels by failing to match my the paces proposed by Sam. This would be another session where I've fallen short" This was just a few of many excuses I was reeling off to my wife, who I think had switched off from listening half an hour earlier.

"Just call Sam and speak to her," was my wife's final response. This is exactly what I did. I don't say this often, but 99% of the time, my wife is correct. The other 1% I tell her she's correct so not to be given the silent treatment for the rest of the week! I initially didn't want to as I knew Sam wouldn't be too happy at my thoughts of doing the whole run on a treadmill. I didn't want to run outside and I'd already settled on a nice cosy run in the gym instead. But of course, speaking to Sam changed this, and I'm so happy that I made the call.

Sam recommended attempting to do the first two paces outside (8:50m/m and 8:25m/m), a total of 10.5 miles. If the conditions on the pavement weren't very good, then I should use the canal towpath instead. The last pace (8:00m/m) could be done on a treadmill if there was no chance of doing it outside at this pace. Of course I agreed to doing this, although deep down I still wished I was doing the whole session on a treadmill.

I'm so, so happy I called Sam and followed her advice. I woke this morning with the lowest levels of motivation and will power I've had so far during my training. I still didn't want to run outside, but I forced myself to do so, thinking that I could still make excuses of how dangerous the conditions were and return to finish it off in the gym......................

It was freezing. Even with gloves on, my fingers were numb. But the conditions weren't as dangerous as I was expecting. Either there had been  a big melt on overnight, or the levels of snow around my home were less than where I work. A lot of the snow had already turned to sludge and there wasn't the frozen, slippery snow that I was expecting. It was still slightly slippery underfoot, but not dangerous. There were even patches on the pavement where the snow had gone completely. These were few and far between, so increased levels of effort were needed to keep the pace up and cover the amount of times I lost traction.

As the miles passed I became more confident. When I knew that I could run at the required pace levels without the fear of slipping, I thought why take the easy option and do any in the gym at all. I might as well stay out and do the whole run outside. This is exactly what I did.

Due to not running as far as I needed to yesterday, I decided to increase my 1/2 w/up to 1 mile in order to get use to running on the snow. This meant the first 6 miles were at 8:50m/m. It was challenging. But where there were areas of clear pavement, I would speed up. This helped during the slower sections where snow and sludge still covered the whole pavement, as I was still able to match my intended pace.

Although I was supposed to do 8:25m/m and 8:00m/m for the last two paces of 5 miles each, I mis-remembered what times I needed to run these. I remembered 8:20m/m and 8:05m/m for some reason. Maybe this was what I'd dreamt, as I had a few nightmares about today's run the night before. With this in mind I more or less matched my 'dreamt' paces perfectly, even with the extra challenges underfoot. The last three miles were by far the hardest as this was where the worst conditions were. With the slipping, sliding and undulations, I'm extremely happy with my mile splits.

Today's run I used a couple of Hi5 gels (with caffeine). One after 50mins and the last one after 1hr 40mins. I did feel these gave me an extra kick. If I was able to obtain these mile splits in bad weather, I'd be interested to see how much better I can do in better conditions and how much of a difference I'd find with keeping to a similar pace.

Overall, it goes to show that you should listen to your coach's advice and not try and take the easy option!image

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263652777

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 18th January 2013

Ruth might not agree with my little food luxuries today but I think if I can eat healthy meals and snacks 6 days of the week, then the other 1 day I should be allowed a few questionable treats. This 24 hours started from Dinner tonight! Sorry Ruth!image

6:45am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre cereal with semi-skimmed milk. Glass of red grape and pomegranate juice.

9:00am - Cup of Earl Grey tea

10:00am - Cup of Raspberry tea

11:15am - Banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - Run - 4.5 miles comfortable in snow (see above more for more details)

1:00pm - Lunch – Ainsley Harriot's finest Mediterranean couscous with feta cheese. I have say, couscous by itself is a little 'dry'. Next time as Jamie Oliver says, "I'll pimp it up."  Finished this off with a Clementine and water.

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water and a Colombian guava sweet (very, very sweet, but just a couple of small mouthfuls!).

6:00pm – Dinner - Pizza - 1/2 a meat feast and 1/2 a pepperoni, with an average of 380 calories in each half. Pint of squash and pint of water.  

7:30pm – Cup of tea, Pint of blackcurrant squash (must have been de-hydrated this afternoon!)

8:30pm – A small handful of Bombay Mix and an Options Luxury Chocolate Brownie hot chocolate (60 cals per sachet).

10:00pm – Small glass of water.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Well done shadester, mighty fine effort sir!

I managed 6 miles in the snow and it was wonderful! When it's fresh or melting it's great but I completely understand your worry about the frozen slippery stuff. Good to hear that conditions were in your favour.

I've been reading your food diaries and I've just noticed how much fluid you take on. The other day you had 4 bottles of water and two pints of squash plus numerous teas on top. I am way off that. I'm lucky if I have a pint of water a day. I have tea and coffee too plus milk with cereal bu that's it. I reckon I need to radically increase my fluid intake.

Did Ruth or Sam advise you on fluids or are you drinking the same as you always have?

PS yes, you definitely have to make more use of your celebrity status. Just make sure you have a copy of RW on you at all times. Should get you a table a the Ivy and VIP entry to most clubs at the very least! image
  • Chicken anus....did you try it??? I have always thought that if I did get the opportunity to go to China I would be like Karl Pilkinton taking monster munch (and numerous other things) in my suitcase!

The snow started just after 15:00 (just as I set of for my walk in to town) and started settling at about 17:30. It was still snowing when I went to bed but it was only light with about an inch settling at the most. Was hoping that my half marathon would still be on as the roads didnt appear too bad but it was cancelled this afternoon. Not really sure what to do with myself now. I have only run a couple of times in the snow and really enjoyed it, but its always been fresh snow. I have a feeling it will either be icy or slush in the morning...both of which being not the best to run on. Im thinking about going on the TM instead and am now wondering whether to do a fast 13 miles or a more steadier longer run.

Congratulations with your two runs, todays sounds like it was extremely successful and confidence boosting...to manage those paces in the snow as well....you will be flying around paris!
  • really impr4essed by the running in difficult conditions..........well doen 

• hi malcs, I know I have 4 litres of water a day + 3 coffees at least
  • Big Shady Ade! Just had a look through the training log and well done with the progress. It looks like you've come on leaps and bounds since our Coventry Parkrun a few weeks ago. Did another today in the snow and it was fantastic. You can always find reasons not to go for a run but I can honestly say I've never gone out for a run and regretted it however I have often regretted not going out. Good luck with the rest of the training. Shame you can't make the Coventry Way Challenge. Let me know if you're up in the Midlands anytime and you fancy a training partner for the day, I'll try and keep up with you.
  • You made me feel bad now! I missed out on my 16 miles today. Didn't fancy going over on my dodgy ankle in the snow. It's the 1st session iv missed so far. Did do 1hr50 on the bike indoors though. I was going to try and keep going for the same amount of time my run would have taken but bum and the saddle don't get along!

Well done for getting out there and getting it done!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Sarah - 4 litres?! Do you use a catheter?image

Sorry to hear about the half getting cancelled.
  • Just woken up to see more snow falling outside. Before I do today's run on an empty stomach, I'll catch up with your comments! I'm over this running in the snow already!

Barry........I think doing it on the treadmill was definitely the best choice if it was slippery outside. I was lucky yesterday as the snow was still soft or had turned to sludge, so there was none of the dangerous icy stuff that can lead to broken bones and a nasty fall with one wrong move! I think if you can do 18 on a treadmill then you can do 18 anywhere.

I have a gym room at the bottom of my apartment block, but sadly no TV there, just a mirror. I can imagine doing 18 while having TV to take away the boredom is ok, but looking at myself constantly for 2+ hours is a bit too much!image

Malcs........It's only since this training program started where I have been running during my lunch break. Before this I'd run with friends in the evening, or on the treadmill. I would always let myself get dehydrated due to meetings and concentrating on finishing work rather than taking a break and having a drink!

Since starting to run at lunch, I've had to change this philosophy. I make sure I drink at least 1 500ml bottle of water in the morning, 1 at lunch and 1 or 2 in the afternoon, plus my normal cups of tea. Sometimes if I've had a strenuous session at lunch, even this isn't enough. Don't worry though - I'm pillaging Mother Earth of its manufactured plastic supply. I use the same bottle each time. I think I should actually change this more regularly as I had a safety talk at work last week talking about the dangers of using the same plastic bottle too much!

I try and drink a lot in the evening as well as I read once that when running races, it's not what you drink just before the race or during it, it's what you drank the night before to maintain those hydration levels. This seems to be true for those runners that practice the no fluid intake rule during runs.  

Malcs wrote (see)
    PS yes, you definitely have to make more use of your celebrity status. Just make sure you have a copy of RW on you at all times. Should get you a table a the Ivy and VIP entry to most clubs at the very least! image

VIP entry to clubs? As Xyloid has already kindly pointed out, I'm no longer a young boy and I think that means my days discoing and clubbing (or whatever the youth of today call it!) are over. The most fun I have of an evening now is choosing what flavour soup I'm going to eat. Ok, ok, it hasn't gotten to that stage just yet! 

Sarah........I can confirm that in the past I have been an eater of anus - chicken anus (before anyone makes a joke!). I actually didn't know what it was while I was eating it, but I did have a sneaky suspicion what it was, but pushed this to the back of my mind. With the spices on and the fact it had been BBQ'd, it tasted pretty good.

I see eating local foods as part of the travelling experience, so I'm happy to give almost anything a try. Mrs. Shady Ady and I played a game while over there - Dinner Roulette, where we'd go to random restaurants and pick something random from the menu, plus rice. As I can't read Mandarin, it was always a surprise what came out. I can't say I was too excited when intestines or tripe came out! It was definitely better than boiled pig skin, which was a meal I had to endure when in Ecuador. Easily the worst thing I've had the displeasure of eating!

But I agree.......you should always have an emergency stash of Monster Munch, just in case!

Sorry to hear your half marathon was cancelled. That is bad news. I suppose you could run the half marathon on a treadmill at a similar speed to what you wanted to do, so you still get a similar workout? Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm impressed with your liquid intake every day. As I have a bladder the size of a walnut, that amount of water would probably see my spending more time in the toilet than at my desk!

Seren...........thanks very much. I was lucky that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting it was and I'm glad I went outside to see what it was like instead of just staying indoors.

Tom........Well, what a surprise to see you here. I hope you didn't scroll too far back through the forum pages. There's photos there that I don't think I'd like close friends to see! It would be very nice to come up and do another Coventry Parkrun with you. I might see if I can work it into my schedule later on. If not, then definitely after Paris.

How's the training for the Coventry Way Challenge going? I was really excited about doing this and gutted it fell on the same day as Paris. Would have been good practice for Comrades. I'll definitely let you know if I'm up your way. There's nothing better than having the pleasure of a run with the legend that is Tom Green (especially now your much faster than me!)

Paulo............I don't think you should feel bad. My 'snow' was slush and soft stuff, but if it had turned icy then I wouldn't have ran outside either. Too risky! When I was training for Boston I had shin splints once or twice and it was too painful to run on. I did a long session on the exercise bike instead, and still got my PB. So I think your still on track. Nothing wrong with a good cross-training session.........although I have been known to take a cushion to sit on when doing it, as my bum and saddle also don't get on!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

I try and drink a lot in the evening as well as I read once that when running races, it's not what you drink just before the race or during it, it's what you drank the night before to maintain those hydration levels. This seems to be true for those runners that practice the no fluid intake rule during runs.  

Yeah, I reckon I need to really up my intake. Do not you find drinking lots in the evening means you wake in the night with a bladder like a balloon?

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

VIP entry to clubs? As Xyloid has already kindly pointed out, I'm no longer a young boy and I think that means my days discoing and clubbing (or whatever the youth of today call it!) are over. The most fun I have of an evening now is choosing what flavour soup I'm going to eat. Ok, ok, it hasn't gotten to that stage just yet! 

Ha ha image 

More snow here today. My arms are killing me from pelting the kids with snowballs - excellent upper body workout image

• How did you get on today Ady?

There was lots of snow here, but running on it was ok for me, did have some trail shoes on though.

On to week 6 we go! It will be good to catch up with you and everyone else next weekend.
  • Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 19th January 2013

I always do my long runs on a Saturday. Saturday was also the day when I'd have bacon and sausage sarnies for breakfast. I never felt guilty having these, knowing I'd be burning the calories off later in the day. It's been hard to replace this with something a little more nutritious!

8:45am - Breakfast - Porridge with added raisins and honey. Cup of tea

10:30am - Cup of tea and pint of blackcurrant squash

11:30am - 16 mile run (see above for full details). 250ml of water with Hi5 electrolyte and caffeine tablet. 2 Hi5 Energy Gels (w/ caffeine)

3:00pm - Late Lunch - Grilled Chicken breast and streaky bacon in wholemeal bread with mature cheddar, lettuce and Maker's Mark BBQ Sauce. Homemade Sweet potato wedges (roasted in oven). Pint of water.

4:00pm - Cup of tea.

5:30pm - Pint of water.

7:00pm – Dinner - Goan lentil and tomato soup w/ mushroom bulgar wheat. Pint of water.  

8:30pm – A small handful of Bombay Mix and a slice of wholemeal bread with Boursin cheese. Tea and water.

11:00pm – Small glass of water.

• Day 35 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (20/01/13)

Target: 5 MILES COMFORTABLE @ 8.10 - 9.10 m/m

Actual: 6 miles comfortable in 50.48 @ 8:27m/m

Mile Splits: 1st: 8:46m/m. 2nd: 8:10m/m. 3rd: 8:43m/m. 4th: 8:29m/m. 5th: 8:32m/m. 6th: 8:06m/m

One day of snow is fun. Two day's is acceptable. But by the third day it's nothing more than an inconvenience.

I woke to find snow falling yet again. This time though it was a blessing in disguise. Where the snow had turned to mush and sludge yesterday, this had frozen overnight. This meant the pavements would have been much more slippery and uneven than the previous day had it not been for this new snowfall.

With the surface more uneven than yesterday, I would have certainly found it more challenging if I was doing my 16 miles today. Luckily I was only doing 6. As I missed out on mileage earlier in the week due to not being able to do my interval session, I increased the length of this run in order to get my total weekly mileage in.

As I had plans for the afternoon and didn't have time to eat and wait before running, I ran on an empty stomach. At this kind of distance, I don't think I would have noticed any difference even if I'd had a McDonalds breakfast!

I had no problem sticking to my pace guidelines. My legs were aching from yesterdays run, so I decided to keep towards the middle of my required pacing. As this was a comfortable speed, I didn't clock watch as much as I have been doing. This meant for the miles that had less snow underfoot and more downhill sections, my mile splits were faster than the more challenging sections as you'd expect.

A nice comfortable session to end the week. Hopefully the snow will clear before meeting up with the other members of the Asics's Target 26.2 team next weekend!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/264317453

• Week 5 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 20/01/13):

Monday:

Target: 4 mile jog (9:20 - 10:00m/m). 

Actual: 4.17miles in 39:10 @ 9:24m/m

Mile Splits: 1st: 9:16m/m. 2nd: 9:16m/m. 3rd: 9:17m/m. 4th: 9:18m/m.

Tuesday:

Target: 5 miles FAST (7:20-7:35m/m) (Suggest structuring this as 1 mile easy, 3.5 miles FAST, 1 mile easy)

Actual: 5.78miles in 45:33 @ 7:53m/m (1 mile easy, 3.5 miles FAST, 1 mile easy)

Splits: W/Up: 1.15miles @ 8:58m/m. Fast: 3.51miles @ 7:13m/m. C/Down: 1.11miles @ 8:53m/m

Wednesday:

Target: Rest Day or Cross-Training

Actual: 18.4 miles on Exercise Bike in 60mins on Cross-Country setting.

Thursday:

Target: Intervals: 2 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 5 x 800m (or 3 mins) at 6.30-6.50 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (6.5 MILES)

Actual: Rest Day

Friday:

Target: Rest Day

Actual: Weather affected 4.5 miles at Comfortable pace @ Approx. 8:40m/m in approx. 39 mins.

Saturday:

Target: 15.5 MILES PROGRESSION RUN: 5 @8.50, 5 @8.25, 5 @8.00 (1/2 MILE TO GET UP TO 8.50)

Actual: 16 Miles progression run: 6 @8.50, 5 @8:20, 5 @ 8.05 in 2:14:21 (@ 8:24m/m)

Mile Splits: 1st: 8:47m/m. 2nd: 8:49m/m. 3rd: 8:47m/m. 4th: 8:50m/m. 5th: 8:44m/m. 6th: 8:51m/m. 7th: 8:16 8th: 8:17m/m. 9th: 8:16m/m. 10th: 8:17m/m. 11th: 8:17m/m. 12th: 8:02m/m. 13th: 8:03m/m. 14th: 7:59 15th: 8:05 16th: 7:58

Sunday:

Target: 5 MILES COMFORTABLE @ 8.10 - 9.10 m/m

Actual: 6 miles comfortable in 50.48 @ 8:27m/m

Mile Splits: 1st: 8:46m/m. 2nd: 8:10m/m. 3rd: 8:43m/m. 4th: 8:29m/m. 5th: 8:32m/m. 6th: 8:06m/m

MILEAGE: Target: 36mi Actual: 36.46mi

Overall, it's been another solid week and I'm most impressed with my 16 mile run in the snow on Saturday. This was definitely the highlight. I really wished I'd attempted to do my Interval session on Thursday without my forgotten Garmin, instead of postponing it to Friday, which proved impossible to do due to the weather. I don't think I lost anything from this. All being well the snow will quickly disappear this week and it'll be running back to normal!

Although I might have indulged in pizza and burger over the weekend, I have managed to keep up my no alcohol in 2013 streak and ignored my sweet tooth as well, so I'm confident I'll still be on target with my weight loss as well!

• I think i will take your word for it about chicken anus!!!

I do like your idea of trying local cuisine and playing diner roulette, although I really dont think I would be as brave as you. I always try to have local cuisine but I tend to play it safe a little. Think my favourite food so far is thai.

Boiled pig skin...was it still hairy? Did you eat it all?

I was thinking about still racing 13.1 miles on the treadmill but minni suggested doing a longer steadier run so I did 17.8 miles with a few MP miles in. I surprisingly enjoyed the run despite having to spend almost 2.5 hours on the treadmill.

Congratulations on another successful snow run. Have you an easy day planned for tomorrow?

I cant believe that your all meeting up again next weekend...its gone so quickly.

Malcs & Ady...I end up going to the toilet annoyingly frequently...think its prob every 2 hours at work, but it means I get to stretch my legs and clear my mind a little. Ive tried cutting back on the amount I drink but ive probably had this amount since I was 13 and so I tend to just end up feel thirsty and agitated if I do cut back.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Don't know how you do it on a treadmill Sarah. Did you have to stop part way through for the loo?image

5 Weeks have absolutely flown by. Well done - looking forward to the next video!

• Week 5 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Total Loss: 4.8lbs

I’m sure everyone reading this will be glad to hear that there will be no more lycra clad photos contained in this latest weight loss posting. Once every 4 weeks is already too much!

I’m feeling very confident with my continued weight loss now. Now that it has become normal not to supplement the healthy parts of my diet with sugar, pastry and regular packets of Walker’s finest, it’s become much easier to go through the day and stick to the guidelines Ruth has advised upon.

If I start to plateau as my body becomes accustomed to the mileage, I will start adding short weight sessions, or start adding variety to my cross-training. So far though, there doesn’t seem to be the need to do this and I’m keeping up with my original target of losing approximately 1lb every week.

I was a little worried this week that I might struggle losing as much weight as Week’s 3 and 4. I had a couple of pieces of cake during the week and pizza, burger and Subway over the weekend. It goes to show that when you are putting the effort in with the training, you’re still allowed a few treats and can expect to continue losing the weight!

Give it a few more weeks and it’ll be the first time in a decade when I haven’t been blemished with moobs, love handles and a gut! image

• Malcs……do you think that the lack of drink played a part in your previous marathon attempts and was a reason you had the cramps in the last few miles? I do find by drinking a lot during the evening, that I’m worse than a 90 year old during the night and have to get up several times! Unlike 90 year olds I do find I can still sleep in later than 5am in the mornings, so this hasn’t affected my sleep yet!

How is the running going now? Are you back to running normally now you’re over the worst of your illness?

Alex…….Good to hear from you. I found my run on Sunday more tricky than Saturday due to the slush freezing over and becoming more uneven. Luckily I’d managed to get my long run out of the way on Saturday and only had 6 miles to do Sunday. Did you manage to get your runs in ok?

I only have my road shoes I got at the Store Day before Xmas. I have my Bupa Fitness Assessment this Friday so I might take a trip to the Asics Store again and see what choices they have. Or I might by another pair of Cumulus so I have two pairs to train in.

I’m looking forward to Saturday and catching up with everyone else. It should be fun…..and the mileage looks reasonable too!

Sarah……..I can see why you like Thai food. It’s a favourite of mine too. I did some cookery classes when I was over there, but unfortunately these haven’t proved too successful as I’d still rather eat out at a Thai restaurant rather than eat my own attempt at cooking it!

As for the boiled pig skin………my gag reflex struggled to cope with it. But as not to offend when I had it cooked for me, I’d always attempt to eat some of it. There was hair attached sometimes, which was one of the many reasons why I struggled! I never managed to eat a whole plate of this. My mother would be ashamed – leaving food on my plate!

Good work on doing such a long run on the treadmill. Anything over an hour is impressive, but to do that much is mightily good! Do you struggle running for so long on a treadmill. Do you find you run differently on a treadmill? I found I got different aches and pains after running on a treadmill, normally around the groin. I’ve never suffered from this when doing my training outside.

Today is a cross-training day. I hope to do a leg strengthening workout tonight, instead of the normal exercise bike session.

Good luck on your train this week!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 20th January 2013

Ruth, I sincerely apologise.image Due to time constraints, I broke and bought ‘fast-food’ on the way to catch a train at lunch. It was either this, or feel the wrath of Mrs. Shady by being late for our afternoon out in the Big Smoke. I learnt a long time ago that I should choose any other option over being late for my wife!  

9:00am – Cup of tea (no breakfast as I needed to get out and run!)

10:00am – Run (6 miles in snow – again!). Water after run.

12:00am – Lunch – SUBWAY! Not just a 6 incher either - a full ft long sub. I did go for the healthiest option available – Veggie Delight with Honey Mustard dressing on Wheat, which according to the calorie count info was around the 500 mark. Bottle of water.

4:30pm – A small pack of M&S sushi. Train home was delayed and found a nice stash of reduced goodies at M&S. It’s not that often I get to shop in such upmarket supermarkets!

5:00pm - Cup of tea. Pint of squash. Feeling de-hydrated, so another pint of squash straight after!

8:00pm – Dinner – Burger (95% Angus Beef according to the packet!) in wholemeal bread with mature cheddar. Radishes with wheatberries and giant couscous salad. Pint of water.

9:00pm – Cup of tea.  

10:00pm – Cup of green tea and an early night!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Malcs……do you think that the lack of drink played a part in your previous marathon attempts and was a reason you had the cramps in the last few miles? I do find by drinking a lot during the evening, that I’m worse than a 90 year old during the night and have to get up several times! Unlike 90 year olds I do find I can still sleep in later than 5am in the mornings, so this hasn’t affected my sleep yet!

How is the running going now? Are you back to running normally now you’re over the worst of your illness?

It could be a factor Ady. I think I drank plenty during the races themselves but maybe that wasn't enough given that I was under hydrated to start.

I don't really fancy trips to the loo in the night but I might have to risk it to give this drinking mullarky a try. I'm on a pint and a half so far today. Don't think I'll make Sarah's massive 4 litre target but if I can knock back 3 pints that would be a big improvement.

Running last week went really well thanks. Started quite tough but I managed 6 and 10 miles in the snow at the weekend on Sat & Sun and felt fine. If you've ever been out injured or ill before you'll know that the feeling of coming back and getting back into your stride is such a massive relief. I have a way to go but I'm very happy going into what will be week 2 of 13 for me now.

Regarding your food diary - I know you want to try and lose a few pounds but you seem to be eating way less than I do. I looked at Alex and Sarah's threads and they appear to be on a similar intake. When I'm marathon training I usually eat shed loads - particularly on the weekends when I have the long runs. I wonder if I've got this wrong too? I don't put any weight on so I have never been concerned about it until now.

It was always my thought that you could eat loads when marathon training - so long as it was relatively healthy. I'm not talking cakes and biscuits but loads of pasta, rice etc. bread, fruit loaf and teacakes, yoghurt and of course fruit. Maybe Ruth could shed some light - after we get a response on the hot cross buns of course! (no, I haven't given up on that one) image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ruth - I'm interested to know your thoughts on the humble hot cross bun and its cousin the fruit teacake (sliced or unsliced, I don't care either way). Are these worthy snack candidates or are they on the nutritional black list?

I think these are worthy snack list for a marathon runner in training if not eating too many of them (or fried in lardimage). The problem for these sorts of snacks for a few people is those that really struggle to lose weight but in the right portion and as a snack most should  be able to have these in their diet, it is all about balance!

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 16th January 2013

I've changed. I never ever thought I'd be the person to eat trendy grains for meals. Today I ate them again! Maybe this healthy eating malarkey is going to dig its' heels in for a long stay!

6:45am Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre cereal with semi-skimmed milk. Glass of apple and fig juice.

7:45am - Cup of tea (with Splenda, which I try and not have every time!)

9:00am - Cup of tea, 500ml bottle of water.

11:15am - Banana, bottle of water, another cup of tea.

12:00pm - Lunch – Bulgar Wheat with cucumber, tomato and feta cheese mixed with a honey, white wine vinegar, chutney and olive oil dressing (just to add a little extra flavour). One of the benefits of making this in a large quantity - it cuts down the amount of time spent making my own lunches! Finished this off with a Clementine and water.

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water.

4:30pm – Cup of tea, bottle of water. No snack today in the afternoon as too busy with work.

6:00pm - Cross-Training - 18.4 miles in 1hr on exercise bike (see above for more details)

7:30pm – Dinner - Student night! Beans on toast with two eggs on a piece of wholemeal bread. A few shavings of parmesan on top.

8:30pm – Cup of tea, pint of water and the last slither of walnut and coffee cake (slightly bigger than yesterday's!).

10:00pm – Small glass of milk and the last few pistachios in the cupboard.

I was so impressed until post lunch and there it was.... 7.5 hours with no food, I am surprised you did not eat more in the evening than you did so on that front well done!
    ZiggyTheSpider wrote (see)

Ady - I just thought I'd post to say how much I'm enjoying your thread (apart from that photo image).

Well done on your progress so far and good luck in the coming weeks.

Stick in with the weight loss. Over the last year I've lost about 20 pounds and during that time I've reduced by 5k PB from 25 min to 19 min 22 secs.

I'm still aiming to maybe lose another 5 pounds or so before the London Marathon.

However I'm interested in whether Ruth thinks there are any increased risk of injury or detrimental effects on training associated with a calorie reduced diet. How much weight is it safe to lose weekly during a marathon campaign?

Good luck again Ady!

A safe number for me to say is 1/2 lbs but if you have  a lot  of body fat to lose 1 Ibs a week, this way your immunity should s

• Malcs wrote (see)

Just tell them you are Shady Ady from the Asics 5 - they should step aside, you're a VIP for crying out loud! Darn peasants. Failing that, whip out the photo of you in the lycra, that'll scare them off image

...and if it doesn't then show them the pic of Bacon in his lycra, that's guaranteed to have them running for the door!

Malc - keep up this level of motivation for shady-Ady!
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 17th January 2013

Mrs. Shady Ady is so good! After a very busy day at work and having to work late, I got home to find my dinner already prepared and waiting for me on the dining table. Maybe I should feign stressful, busy days at work every weekday from now on!

Not many carbs in my lunch, but as the size was bigger than the 'rabbit food' salads I was attempting to eat before, I had no issues with hunger pains.

6:45am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre cereal with semi-skimmed milk. Glass of tropical fruit juice.

8:00am - Cup of tea

9:30am - Cup of tea, 500ml bottle of water.

10:30am - Banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - Lunch – Leftover curry from the previous evening's dinner - carrot, courgette and chickpeas in a variety of curry spices haphazardly thrown into the mixing pot! It actually tasted better cold for lunch than it did for dinner the night before! Finished this off with a Clementine and water.

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water.

4:00pm – Cup of tea, bottle of water. Half eaten apple. Got called away to  a meeting and when I got back is had turned brown and manky looking!

7:30pm – Dinner - Steak, Roast Potatoes, Broccoli and Peas in a mint sauce. Pint of blackcurrant squash.

/members/images/403074/Gallery/photo_(5).JPG

8:30pm – Cup of tea, pint of water and a small bowl of yogurt with a handful of dates, apricots and raisins.

10:00pm – Small glass of water.

Big Steak! I know you know... but more snacks during the day wold be good. A few boiled potatoes may have been the lower calorie optionimage rather than those nice looking roasties.
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 18th January 2013

Ruth might not agree with my little food luxuries today but I think if I can eat healthy meals and snacks 6 days of the week, then the other 1 day I should be allowed a few questionable treats. This 24 hours started from Dinner tonight! Sorry Ruth!image

6:45am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre cereal with semi-skimmed milk. Glass of red grape and pomegranate juice.

9:00am - Cup of Earl Grey tea

10:00am - Cup of Raspberry tea

11:15am - Banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - Run - 4.5 miles comfortable in snow (see above more for more details)

1:00pm - Lunch – Ainsley Harriot's finest Mediterranean couscous with feta cheese. I have say, couscous by itse

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Malcs wrote (see)

Ruth - I'm interested to know your thoughts on the humble hot cross bun and its cousin the fruit teacake (sliced or unsliced, I don't care either way). Are these worthy snack candidates or are they on the nutritional black list?

I think these are worthy snack list for a marathon runner in training if not eating too many of them (or fried in lardimage). The problem for these sorts of snacks for a few people is those that really struggle to lose weight but in the right portion and as a snack most should  be able to have these in their diet, it is all about balance!

Woo hoo, thanks Ruth - hot cross buns are back on the menu! image

Question for you Ruth - is Ady not on a huge calorie deficit on some days? If you do an hour of running at a comfortable pace does that not burn 600-800 cals? Should you look to replace these if you're not looking to lose weight?

I always thought it was the done thing to eat like a horse when marathon training image

• Malcs wrote (see)
    Well done shadester, mighty fine effort sir!

I managed 6 miles in the snow and it was wonderful! When it's fresh or melting it's great but I completely understand your worry about the frozen slippery stuff. Good to hear that conditions were in your favour.

I've been reading your food diaries and I've just noticed how much fluid you take on. The other day you had 4 bottles of water and two pints of squash plus numerous teas on top. I am way off that. I'm lucky if I have a pint of water a day. I have tea and coffee too plus milk with cereal bu that's it. I reckon I need to radically increase my fluid intake.

Did Ruth or Sam advise you on fluids or are you drinking the same as you always have?

Fluid. Everyone will be different but I think it is simple to know roughly how much is too much? and how much is too little?

• Too much:  If you are peeing every 2 hours (sarah!) with a lot of volume and the colour is very pale/clear you are probably drinking too much but as Sarah mentioned drinking is a habit and if you are happy to drinks lots (without suffering fluid overload!) then no long term problem. If you where drinking 7-10 litre a day it may be a problem!
    • Too little: peeing every 5 hours or more &/or peeing small volume of dark urine/very concentrated (strong smell)  you should drink more.

You should look to be somewhere inbetween these too points!

I agree in drinking more in the days leading up to a race, always better to start hydrated.

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Malcs……do you think that the lack of drink played a part in your previous marathon attempts and was a reason you had the cramps in the last few miles? I do find by drinking a lot during the evening, that I’m worse than a 90 year old during the night and have to get up several times! Unlike 90 year olds I do find I can still sleep in later than 5am in the mornings, so this hasn’t affected my sleep yet!

Alex…….Good to hear from you. I found my run on Sunday more tricky than Saturday due to the slush freezing over and becoming more uneven. Luckily I’d managed to get my long run out of the way on Saturday and only had 6 miles to do Sunday. Did you manage to get your runs in ok?

I only have my road shoes I got at the Store Day before Xmas. I have my Bupa Fitness Assessment this Friday so I might take a trip to the Asics Store again and see what choices they have. Or I might by another pair of Cumulus so I have two pairs to train in.

I’m looking forward to Saturday and catching up with everyone else. It should be fun…..and the mileage looks reasonable too!

Sarah……..I can see why you like Thai food. It’s a favourite of mine too. I did some cookery classes when I was over there, but unfortunately these haven’t proved too successful as I’d still rather eat out at a Thai restaurant rather than eat my own attempt at cooking it!

As f

• Malcs wrote (see)
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Malcs wrote (see)

Ruth - I'm interested to know your thoughts on the humble hot cross bun and its cousin the fruit teacake (sliced or unsliced, I don't care either way). Are these worthy snack candidates or are they on the nutritional black list?

Woo hoo, thanks Ruth - hot cross buns are back on the menu! image

Question for you Ruth - is Ady not on a huge calorie deficit on some days? If you do an hour of running at a comfortable pace does that not burn 600-800 cals? Should you look to replace these if you're not looking to lose weight?

I always thought it was the done thing to eat like a horse when marathon training image

It is a good question. As Shady-Ady has got weight to lose he needs a calorie deficit. Some people can eat a huge amount and never gain weight when training others need less. What I am trying to get Shady-Ady to do is to eat consistently as one day he eats too many calories the next not enough hence the 3 meals, 3 snack rule (healthy eating). The long gaps are not helping but he is addressing this!

If not looking to lose weight then yes you need to replace the calories and enjoy those teacakesimage.

Hope this helps!

• Cramps- only caused by fluid when very poor... more likely caused by increasing intensity/pace on tired legs at end of a race. Training can help for example, increasing pace at end of  long runs. I think it is usually a gap in the training. Sam may have more to add!

• Thanks Ruth for answering so many questions. It's very much appreciated indeed. I'll start reading through all of it now. I have just noticed on a couple of your posts that your message cuts off halfway through. I learnt this the hard way on my first posts, as I think there must be a word limit, which once reached automatically deletes the rest! image

I hope my wrists aren't too sore from being slapped since last week! image