Rome Marathon 2013

Comments

• SNOW! Deep snow at that - easily a good couple of inches settled already and it's still coming down. Grrrr - was due to run a 17 miler tomorrow but not venturing out unless some of it thaws overnight - am rubbish at even walking in wellies in the snow and I don't have any trail shoes or grips/spikes etc. This close to the marathon, I'd rather not risk an injury. Need to figure out how to switch around my long weekend runs for the next few weeks if I don't manage to get this weekend's done:

My last 'longest' run was weekend before last when I reached 15 miles

Last weekend was a 'rest' week and I did 13 miles

This weekend I was supposed to add two miles and do a 17 miler, with an 18 miler next weekend

I then have the Blackmore Vale Half marathon followed by the first of my 20 mile runs the following two weekends. Then Plymouth Hoe 10 mile race weekend after followed by my second 20 miler the following weekend, and then taper (got all that?!)

Am wondering if it's best to try to skip straight to 18 miles next weekend and keep on schedule (although that would be an increase of 3 miles from my last furthest run) or to do 17 next weekend and then change the first 20 miler to a 19 miler instead. I really wanted to keep the 2 x 20 milers in the schedule if possible but if I don't get out on Saturday or Sunday, I'm not sure if that is feasible or not. Am doing quite a few mid-week runs and an averaging c40 miles each week at the moment so not sure if my legs could cope with a 3 mile increase or not next weekend if I took it nice and slow?

Honestly - I am a slave to my schedule which I know is silly but that's the type of person I am, I'm afraid. I like to plan and make lists! Am praying that the snow will stop today and start to thaw overnight so I might at least get out on Sunday afternoon...fingers crossed everyone. Poole doesn't often have snow - typically - not had any at all for at least the last two winters...

• Just starting to snow here in St Neots.

Like you Kirsty, I am a slave to my schedule. i fortunately have a treadmill in my garage, which i hate using, but it looks like I'll have no choice.

I was due to do 16 miles on Sunday.

Good luck to all and in the words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus:

Hey, let's be careful out there

You probably have to be a certain age to understand that and unfortunately, I am.

• I don't think i'm that old?! image i have no idea what that reference was to?!

kirsty, 18,19, 20 miles, I wouldn't worry, it's all much the same disatnce really, the biggest difference is in your mind. I've trained doing loads of 20+ runs, including marathons for marathons in the past, yet the last marathon I did I got my second best ever time and only did one 20 mile run, an 18 and a 17.

And if the snows really bad find a park, football pitch, old railway line...

• Hey guys,

Someone might have asked this already before, but I unfortunately havent been good at following this thread...

I am a little concerned about the Cobbles of the Rome Marathon. Does anyone have any tips for training for these. And how bade are they??

Hopefully someone can reassure me image

• Signed up for Rome 2013 which will be my second marathon. Anybody have any idea what kind of temperatures can be expected in Rome at that time of year?

• /members/images/286792/Gallery/Capture_7.PNG

taken from here

Having been in the general area at that time of year before unless they experience some freak weather it'll be like a perfect English summers day.

Louise, I have no idea about the cobbles, first time for me, Im not even thinking about them image

• That's my 18 miler done for the weekend image Was a good group of 9 together playing in the snow. Pace was a steady 10 min/mile which was comfy. Felt amazing and like I could have carried on forever image
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

17,18,19,20 doesn't make much difference they're all long runs and all count. Treat anything over 16 class as a lsr. Everyone is different and your body cannot keep enough energy to run infinite distance, it's about 18-22 miles and your legs won't have enough energy left, the science goes something like... leg muscles will stop burning glycogen and looks to burn fat, which is harder to do and this is when your body will tell you to STOP! YOU'RE DOING DAMAGE! then start creating havoc to make you stop...the famous wall. But training helps your body manage to do this. Lactic acid attacks the muscles as soon as you stop though so don't stop lol

I did 3 hours on a treadmill this afternoon, set up a monitor and watched a film, felt good after then had a bath sat down and fell fast asleep for an hour. Miles up to about 50 a week now. Tired and hungry all the time!

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I can assure you the last thing that'll worry you at 25 miles is some cobbles

• /members/images/286792/Gallery/31.PNG

I've done 31 miles up and down a hill in Sardinia on nothing but 500ml of isotonic drink, used up 4409 kcals allegedly, but I am a lardarse!

• Hi All, I just joined this awesome forum. I booked my flights and hotel for Rome 2013, but can't register for the race because the official website (maratonadiroma.it) appears down, thus am getting worried whether they will accept new registrants at this relatively late stage. Does anyone else have the same problem w/ the website? Do you know an alternative way to register? I've read elsewhere that they normally don't fill up until March, but with marathon running becoming more and more popular, you never know...Many thanks in advance for any insights!

• I hadn't looked but yes the sites down. You can try emailng them here maratona@maratonadiroma.it

or on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/maratonadiroma ....it actually says on there they are currently down for maintenence image don't panic!

• Thanks a lot for checking Lardarse - it's good to know they're only down for maintenance.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

31 miles and 500ml of isotonic? I went through a 500ml bottle of Lucozade lite and 660ml of sis go on my 3 hour treadmill yesterday. I reckon it was between 18 and 20 miles. If outside I'll carry a 660ml bottle of go and this lasts till about 18 miles.

• I did 21 miles today outside in the snow, didn't take any drink, haven't bothered since november, its too cold i dont need it. 

That other run was in Sardinia, it was 20c at 5.50am, by 12 when i finished it was 28c full sun, i actually cut the run short as i was feeling the heat by then.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

31 miles with temperatures up to 28C, 21 miles in freezing temperatures, both runs without taking on fluid? sounds dangerous to me.

• I took drink on the 31 miler, just not much image

Humans obviously don't need as much water to run as people think, at least not if you're generally well hydrated, more dangerous to run with a drink if your dehydrated for several days before.

I'm still alive! image

• Busted my ITBS while training for Rome this weekend.... Doc says it ain't too bad

what would you guys suggest? posponing/ changing to a different marathon or keep going?

On a side note, do we have to send our doctor's "OK" letter?  or being part of a sports club is enough?  because if so...... i'd love to join a runners club in manchester!

• No idea about the ITBS I'm afraid - good luck with it though and hope you get to run ok.

I sent them a scanned copy of my running club membership and they've accepted that instead of a medical note. As long as it shows you're an active member of an affiliated club, they take that instead.

Managed to get my 17 miler done at the weekend in the end. Waited til Sunday when the worst of our snow was over and then headed down to the beach. No snow or ice along the prom so ran the world's most boring long run - from Sandbanks to Bournemouth Pier and back again, repeated three times to make the mileage. Filled my mp3 player with lots of podcasts and tried to zone out. Glad it's done though and now we have rain instead so fingers crossed, that'll be the end o the snow disruption.

Can't believe how close it's getting now - only increase my mileage again twice now before the big day (1 x 18 this weekend and 2 x 20 milers) - my schedule has more ticks than blanks now...!

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I had itbs a few years ago, rested it for a bit, can't remember how long, then stretched it by putting my foot on a chair, bending leg at the knee and putting all my weight on it, like a number 4, when I got running I did this at something like 4 or 5 miles and it streched it out fine. This worked for me. As I remember it was like toothache in the knee...ouch...it was really painful but when it went away it went away really quick, it's a band of ligament like a rubber band that runs from the top of the thigh down and round the knee cap and holds your knee in place, constant rubbing at the knee causes irritation and pain. Hopefully an expert will post a better description soon image

I sent a scan of my jogscotland card and they accepted that.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

well done on the 17 kirsty, I got 3 hours on the treadmill on Saturday, 5 yesterday and 9 today, 5 of them uphill...my pace is about 2 minutes slower than last year but I'll put that down to the weather.

• 3hrs on a dreadmill - crikey, you're made of strong stuff! I had a great 16.5mi trail run across snowy Kent fields on Sunday. Feeling good at the moment, and so far injury free (touch wood!!).

• The snow is sure slowing down my training but not too much. Went for a snowy 5 miles last night and am still aiming to get my 20 miles in on Saturday. Fun Fun Fun image

• Hi people - Im doing Rome this year as well (and Brighton in April). Treating Rome as a training run for Brighton, as i cant run 2 fast marathons in 4 weeks. Looks like the snow should be gone by next week, as it is warming up.

• rbolio wrote (see)

Busted my ITBS while training for Rome this weekend.... Doc says it ain't too bad

what would you guys suggest? posponing/ changing to a different marathon or keep going? 

I ran Berlin marathon last year after a really bad case of ITBS (to the point it was painful to walk or drive), but still ran Berlin with no training (6 months off with a 5 mile run the week before) and used an ITBS band. Not a very good time of 3:49, but really enjoyed the marathon and would do it again
    So it can be done. My approach was just to try and get to the start line. BUT DO NOT keep running with bad itbs, as it will get chronic like mine did.

• I am running a Rome marathon too this year. Finally received a confirmation about registration - what a pain it was! The organisers seem to be very burocratic and strict about medical certificates! My GP added to the trouble by refusing to sign my certificate referring to some new policy....Ended up going to a private GP and paying £60 for getting my blood pressure checked! Training at lunch breaks and weekends mostly with an occasional run in the evening. Planning 18 miles this weekend. Was meant to run 10k this Sat but it was postponed due to ice..

• Gp's always charge you don't they? That's why I used this...

• Boom! 20 miles done image

Pleased with my training thus far, just hope it lasts.

How are you all getting on?
  • Just finished a beautiful 18 miles in the relatively mild sunshine for a change! Felt really good and knew I could have carried on if I had too (which is encouraging). Doing a hilly half marathon race next weekend and then my first of two 20 milers. Getting so close to the end of the schedule now - getting excited!

• I'm envious of all you high milers. After 4 weeks off and swimming/yoga/biking, I did my first run on Thursday. Today I managed 5k over half an hour, foot strapped with KT tape. It was fractured in the end but I damaged the tendons. No swelling tonight so making progress. My swimming has come on but I have been having lessons! Hate swimming but now finding it's actually ok!!