RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Evening. Been busy with family stuff so had to miss my interval session tonight. In addition, we have had plenty of the white stuff this afternoon and evening and its still coming down. So, I will be up early tomorrow morning to do a few easy miles. I can't get to the gym as that's near where I work in Nottingham and I am working from home tomorrow. Saturday I intend to venture into the peaks and take my new camera with me on my LSR. Should get some spectacular shots.

Carl - still some decent times despite the difficult conditions.

Rachel - at least you are still getting some miles in and catching up with eastenders.

Spoons - hope the shins are getting better
  • Carl - speedy reps there well done. You're right about the cold. It makes breathing tough. 

Carter - enjoy the snow in the peaks. What camera did you get?

• I've got a Sony HXV100. It's only a second hand one from a camera shop in Sheffield as its the first 'proper' camera I've had so didn't want to spend too much if I can't get into it. Saying that I have taken some really good shots so far by just aiming and clicking. I haven't used any of the manual functions yet. Do you dabble in photography yourself ?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - looking forward to some great images from your run over the weekend.

You need to take them early enough to send to Rachel so that she can pretend she is outside whilst running on the dreadmill !!
  • I got a Nikon D3100 for Chrimbo. Also my first proper camera. Also not good on manual settings but I've bought a  book all about it! Getting some great shots on auto It's a bit big to run with though.....

• Snow last night and woke up to a couple of inches (ooh err missus) but not as much as forecast; maybe thats on the way later. I managed to get out earlyish this morning for 8.6 miles @ 10:25. It was tricky in places underfoot but not too bad really. The couple of hills I took in that were offroad were really hard going as you will see if you look at my run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263243706. It was foggy and snowy so couldnt take any photos, plus it was pitch black ! When the wind blew it was really cold and breathing was difficult so I pulled my snood up over my nose and mouth and that made breathing difficult too ! Oh well, a few more miles in the bank. I didnt see anybody at all but did see some sheep, grouse, a squirrel, some chickens in a farm, a rabbit (but that was lying in the middle of the road !) and some horses. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Stay warm everyone

• That pack looks cool. Let me know how you get on. Like you I love running off road on the trails. I also like walking (I know it's boring) and cycling so that would come in mega handy. My camera bag is shite.

• Carl - just read your post on Cheerful Dave's thread. As you said, I would aim for 3:45 for the minute and see how the long runs go and the MO sections in long runs. Your speed suggests faster than 3:45 but you may well be like a lot of blokes and have loads of speed with shite endurance!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons - probably the best thing to do. Will be interesting to find out if I have the endurance and I guess we will find out over time.

2 inches or so of the white stuff during the day today. Has stopped snowing now.

Hoping to get out in the morning for my 18+ mile LSR providing it does not freeze.

Going to get up, have some tea and porridge and then go for it.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Anyone else hoping to get out in he morning ? If you do keep safe.
  • Well, yes I intend to, or at least I did. I had a new 18 mile route along the trans pennine way sorted that takes in a climb up kinder scout. This mornings run was hard when I got to the off road stuff and my route tomorrow is all off road. In addition to that it has been snowing all day and still is. As such, I expect I will have to revise my plan. I walked to the shops earlier and the pavement was covered and if the snow continues through the night then the roads will be too. I guess I will have to play it by ear but I will definitely do something.
  • Well staying safe is the main thing. I went up Kinder Scout once. A big peat bog at the top from what I remember that people could easily get stuck in!....

• A bit of excitement now and again never did anybody any harm !!! image
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I suspect just going out the front door dressed in running gear is excitment enough.

Temperatures are going to hover around -1 C here tonight and should be at 0 C by 9am.

So I am thinking that I will go for it and take it real slow. Let you know in the morning. image

• Plenty of snow overnight so decided not to go up in to the peaks. Turned out to be the right decision as my legs didn't turn up today. Ran on the road where possible but when on the pavement there was plenty of snow to make it harder. Hills were impossible as I couldn't get much traction. And the gingerbread man tried to make things harder for me too. 10.5 miles @ 10:17
  • Snow will make it harder. Or are your legs tired? Did you plan to do 10.5 miles?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Just back in and having a nice cup of hot tea.

Some light snow overnight but it did not freeze.

Got up a little later than planned, had toast with marmalade and a cup of tea and then straight out.

The first 3 miles were heavy on the legs as all uphill on snow. Then downhill towards the centre of London through slush on the footpaths. Across to Hyde Park and back onto snow. Beuatiful scenery but it got very cold with the temperature dropping a few degrees. Then upto Regents Park where it started to sweat and by now I could not feel my face.

20.5 miles in all at 9:21 min/mile.

I brought a bottle of Lucozade Lite as my refuelling drink and finished it when I came in the door.

I feel good but the legs are a little heavy as running on snow and through heavy slush is tough. Found the pace comfortable overall. I ran most of the session at about 9:30 mm pace but picked it up for the last few miles as the cold was inside me.

Heading for a nice soak in the bath.
  • Carl - great run, well done.

Spoons - I planned to do 18 so I'm hoping it was just one of those days. The legs felt a bit heavy but that could be the snow causing that
  • Carl - that's awesome, well done. Milk is the best recovery drink, or if you're a fatty like me then chocolate milkimage

Carter - could be the snow, or could be fatigue. Don't panic or anything. Can you adjust your schedule and make this your drop back week? Have an easy day tomorrow and get back into it on Monday. When I say easy, I mean either 2-4 miles slow or nothing. 

• Spoons - I was thinking the same myself actually. In an easy week how should I approach the speed sessions ?
  • Do them as normal, just reduce the long run, and maybe the mileage on other runs, especially a medium long run. Never reduce the pace though. Pointless. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Snowing here again since early morning. Took the car to get to the gym which was an adventure in itself. The gym is just outside the village and whilst the main roads are not bad the side roads are getting very slippy. Looks like the Council did not grit last night.

4 miles recovery on the dreadmill at just under 10:00 min/ mile pace on 1.5% So boring.

Really wanted to press buttons and go faster but resisted the temptation.

A couple of lengths of the pool to cool down.

Another week done. As this was the third week of increasing mileage I will have a recovery week next week.

Will be back later with what I am thinking of doing.

Going to take the kids out for a snowball fight !!
  • Good work Carl. All is going well for you. Enjoy the recovery week. Don't do too little though. 

I ran 10 miles this morning! image

• 10.8 miles @ 9:55. Sorry Spoons, I know yesterday you said do a short one but I felt goid so kept going. I wanted to get a few miles in after yesterday's disappointment and I have a planned rest day tomorrow
  • Tut tut, I don't know.... image

• Oh well, we learn by our mistakes I guess
  • I generally err on the side of caution. You'll probably be fine. As you say, rest day tomorrow.

• That's something I need to gain as my running 'career' progresses. Absolutely teaming it down with snow now here. What's it like with you ?