Sunday 20th January 2013

Morning.

Lyrics still apt: Leaves fall in the cool October air

Enjoy the race RFJ!

Alehouse - they posted photographs of the Brass Monkey course to - it wouldn't have been a surface I'd have chosen to run, let alone race on. Of course, if they hadn't have cancelled I'd still have gone and tried!

No fresh snow overnight but more forecast for today. I have worked out a slightly tortuous combination of laps on the trails that would give me a long run today, though it would be easier on fresh snow, so may give that a try today depending on what Mark wants to do as I'm off tomorrow so could do it then. MY trail shoes don't suit me quite as well as my road shoes so I tend to get a few odd aches if I run often/far in them - can't see much of an alternative for the next few days though.

What:                not sure
Why:                 depends on husband
Last hard:         waiting for a decision yesterday
Last rest:          15/1

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• what: 2hrs down by the river. I'm sure this sounds odd to most of you but it was really too hot.  About 27 degrees at lunchtime and I didn't have any water with me. Poor planning.

why: long run day

the good news was that I got back and as I walked through the door was immediately presented with a large glass of water and a cup of ice cold chocolate milk.  living with another runner is awesome.

no idea on the lyrics

• Morning!

M:  its 29 degrees here! Fahrenheit. Everything is ice cold at present!

Lyrics: no idea. Yesterday's were "White Rabbit", Jefferson Airplane, which pleased Tom, but not sure about anyone else!

What: a walk which will include some, as yet undetermined, running.
    Why: now that is a really good question.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

10 miles in 78:18 this morning, very enjoyable in the snow.  Went to and fro around work...just in case.  No more on call weekends till March.  hooray.  Lyrics.....no but feel like I should know them. 

Good running M. image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    'morning

I'm afraid things have taken a further down turn. When last I reported I was bike riding at an effort and duration equivalent to what I would do if running. Got off the bike on Wednesday to be greeted by severe lower back pain (not evident whilst riding). The pain has been everpresent since though is gradually retreating. Might cotemplate a short shuffle tomorrow.........I think we are about ready for that head to head Alehouseimage
  • Tom:  just oiling the zimmer frame.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ahh...nice to see I'm in good company Tom and AHimage
    Lyrics: Nope
    What 10k Dreadmill
    Why Race cancelled, needed a run and cba to do more
    Last Hard Thursday
    Last Rest Friday
    Freeze forecast for here tonight but no snow. If that's the case will put factory on short day tomorrow, late start early finsish so all can drive safely to and fro.
    TKD looks okay for later but hall will be bliddy freezing.

• Sorry to hear that Tom - sounds like a bike fit issue.

That's lovely M - the two hours, the heat and the welcome home!

Walking Grace this morning it was evident that anything other than the main roads were deadly underfoot so we took the mtbs out for a little under an hour and three quarters, all I could manage as the wind was a little cold particularly when driving the snow and sleet showers! No snow now but quite windy and more forecast. Better than nothing and a bonus to get some outside bike miles in with the weather like this.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just back from a fab race in the slightly falling snow....

Stubbington Green 10K race, entries sold out so 1200 entrants... doubt that many started though.... a good warm up with Jnr before hitting the start line.... aim was 39 mins... and keep every k under 4 mins

1km - 3:51 and off and away and getting a tad carried away with pace...
    2km - 3:59 eased off to much club mate passes me to put me into the B team
    3km - 3:59 and the hill, the only real incline on the race
    4km - 3:50 and a good straight stretch and feeling good
    5km - 3:51 (half way in 19:32) Jnr has pulled up and I'm catching team mate.
    6km - 3:49 Powering on and pass club mate (who is going at MP)
    7km - 3:50 into the grove of consistancy along the sea front all is well and another club mate appears in front of me...
    8km - 3:56 slight rise, MP club mate passes me at he goes for it... as I close on other in front away from the sea front
    9km - 3:53 Just cannot close the gap enough, but moving well
    10km - 3:47 and really motoring (for me) for fasted km but the gap stays at 10 meters
    Last tiny bit 7 secs......

Hits on the clock 39:00 and 38:57 on the chip not a pb but a dammed good marker in the sand at the start of marathon training. One very happy runner.

• Feeling yesterday so rest day for me. That's the what why and last hard!

Last rest was on Friday.

Good running RFJ
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello all, brief visit...
    RFJ - well done on the 10k. I think numbers may well have been down, I know a few of our lot didn't make the journey after the recent weather.
    Training wise...well after no snow when I left for work on Friday, came home to 5 or 6 inches...decided not to head out on that in the dark so took a rest day.
    Yesterday - 6 miles over the fields / lanes in thick snow, after 2 hours clearing the road/driveway. An exercise in futility as its all covered again now....
    Today - built a large snowman with the youngest, bit of sledging round by the frog ponds, tempted to do an easy hour shortly
    lyric - not sure, and no to yesterdays too. I'm far too young ... ( I wish) 

• I decided to go out for a jog around the looped course of the Glos mara, and met up with Magic Mower. The great bit about the route is that you can choose how many loops to do before bombing. He was on for 4, which would be 28 miles or more, but then again he is focussed on ultras. I had 2 in mind.
    15 miles done, at 8m/m on the button. This was top target mara pace, and I was really pleased to still be chattering at 13.1 miles. It's one of my tests: if I am struggling to talk at that point then I've most likely blown it.

Shoes: Innov8 rocklite 315. There were some icy patches, but as it wasn't a race I could fairy ponce over them.

Great stuff RFJ, and Tom, back pain is just one of those things with bikes. Possibly improved with the use of tri bars. The other alternative is to remove the stabilisers.

• Excellent race RFJ, hope Jr is okay too.

Just went for a walk along the dunes at Southport, about 5 miles tops, still feeling last week's HM on top of the three runs I did this week. Back in the saddle this week.

• Blisters - you shouldn't get back pain on your bike, if you are doing then it's worth getting the fit checked if you can - or fiddling round with things. When I first took up tri (and riding a road bike) I had quite bad lower back/piriformis/hip pain on the right side which I put down to not being used to riding etc etc however changing my bike to a women's specific design (not suggesting you need to do this!) and getting it adjusted to fit me correctly by someone who knew far more about these things than I (the manager of the LBS where I bought the bike - for free) made for an instant cure. Only back issues I have now is if I ride long, very hilly routes and spend too long hanging on to the bars and pulling upwards when trying to climb - which aggravates my QL muscle.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

What: 4 hours of skiing today and 5 yesterday
    Why: I have discovered we're just under 3 hours from a ski resort!
    Last hard: remembering what to do after 10 years of not skiing and trying to keep warm in the -12C (-20C with wind chill factored in)
    Lyrics: Nope

If your roads are anything like ours, they're not fun to drive on at the moment, and we have winter tyres!  Glad lots of you were sensible and abandonned those long distance drives.

RFJ great race
    Donaldo  5 min on call time is pretty tight, even for a boarding school!
    LMH sorry to hear your race was cancelled
    M sounds like a nice run and an even better welcome home!

Have a good evening all.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

RJF - great race, well done!

emzap - I live in the school and am expected to respond instantly to any call - when others are on duty, they simply dont leave the grounds all weekend - but I try to manage the risk with quality of life! image 

• Well done, RFJ! Would love to get under 40 minutes again (for 5 miles, never mind 10k!). Hope Jnr is OK!

What: little bit of walking, little bit of jogging, and then a couple of minutes of slightly faster running...first time I have been short of breath running for well over a year!
    Why: just a litlle test before seeing physio tomorrow. No reaction so far, and hope it stays that way.

Dustin:  disappointed! Not only did you miss a day, you didn't know yesterday's lyrics!

Southport must have been pretty bleak, 7D!  The funeral I went to in december was there, and no, I didn't see the sea either!

Nice to be able to ski, Emzap! Mind you, its rather longer since I did so.