2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Well had my breakfast and waiting for it to settle, more snow dumped from the sky last night so running long in it soon image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

I do.  When it's safe to run!  Although it looks as though we're going to get some more snow today.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Yes not good news from Glen Coe Jason.

Rest day for me I think. Still no snow
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice 18 milers OH and MG1 and good that the new Brooks behaved MG1. I love my Brooks GTS11s.image Enjoy the rest day OH.

Stewart sounds like fun yesterday. Nice to get a change of route.

AGF great mileage there adn 45 in 3 days is a lot! image

SM good to get the gym work, I must get there this week for weights as didn't go last week. image

NP and jason hope the 20s go well today.

HM4 running in the snow is fun. image

Did my 5m recovery now in the office for the day.

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona well done on bagging another 20m. Nice recovery today.

Mace good thinking on the LSR. It's pretty bad here now...

MG good 18 miler. Well done in the slush

NP good running y'day. Hope the long run is going ok

Stewart hope the legs feel better. Well done on breaking 50 miles!image

AGF great week's total. Enjoy the rest today.

Stuart well done on the weights. Is your resting HR up too?

Jason well done on the 14.5 miles y'day and good luck for the 20m.

HM lolimage

OH enjoy the rest.

---

Snowing quite a bit here now.  Today was supposed to be a club race but that was canned as the roads and pavements were too icy.  Ended up doing a trail run. 7.9 miles for the day, and another 60m week.image.  A hot bath is calling me...

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well doneTek, solid mileage again, and i notice you haven't mentioned the knee for a while so trust that's all in the past.

I'm soooo glad i did my long run yesterday as it's been snowing constantly here all morning and my scheduled 5M recovery was a very very slow 4M ... but then i reckon a very very slow 4 is better recovery than a very slow 5 image

That's week 6 and the endurance phase of P&D done for me with this week's 54M recovery week.

Let's hope we all have a nice thaw and some warmer stuff next week.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH Well done on the 18 miles.image

MG same for you well done getting it out the way.image

Fiona well done on a super 20 and another great week of training.image

AGF nice to see a mini battle going on on page 2 between you and Fionaimage

Teknik another nice run and good week of trainingimage

Mace well done on your recovery run and 54 miles for the week.

Well did just over 20 miles this morning but suffered running into the wind for the last 5 miles, ran through a bit of a blizzard and a good 95% was through snow, legs a little on the heavy side now. It would of been impossible to do any miles at MP I did push as hard as possible over one mile and only managed 7:15 pace but it's another 20 in the VLM Bankimage. Hot bast was needed to defrostimage

• Good grief NP  well done. !!! its hard to believe looking out my window that you all seem to be suffering with such bad weather...its bone dry here...verrrry cold yes...but dry and no wind..

off for 20 now

Will read back properly later..

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- Didn't realise news was so badimage

Tek- well done on the trail runimage- a lot of races cancelled todayimage Good week, too

mace- enjoy the LT phaseimage I'm a week behind you, so looking forward to my recovery weekimage

NP-Well done on toughing it out- amazing what difference the weather can makeimage

I can sympathise with NP as I was supposed to do 20 with 10 at MP today, but my legs felt really heavy in the subzero temperatures and the last 10m were into an Arctic windimage Managed a couple at MP, but it was far too hard and gave it up for another dayimage - still a solid 20 though, so happy enoughimage 20m in 2.18.31 (6.56 av) with 1.3m warm down for aftersimage 

• NN - Enjoy the 20. You seem to be pretty lucky with the weather, not that it's particularly bad where I am either.

NP - Good running, must be tough going if you could only run 7.15 for the last mileimage

Mace - Nice total for a recovery week

Tek - Good run, and another good total

Fiona - Well done on the 5. I try to get to the gym 3 times a week (2 upper body, and 1 lower body session), but will probably drop down to 2. I can't really imagine not doing the gym work, even if only 2 x20 minutes a week. I do really enjoy it thoughimage

---------

Following Mace lead from yesterday, I moved my LSR forward a day as the forecast looks awful tomorrow. 

15.0 miles @ 9.27, quite enjoyed thatimage Heart rate was much lower today, which pretty much confirms my guess of lack of sleep being the reason behind yesterdays issue. Still, it was a wee bit higher than I'd have liked.

47.5 miles for the week, which is artifically (10 miles) high but i might try to maintain this total next week.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SM6- Nice 15

Just checked my weekly stats: 107.84m in 13.29.23 (7.30 av). Looking forward to next week's cutbackimage

• Jesus - great running in cold conditionsimage Nice to see you've done more miles this week than I have totalled all year haha!

-----

That's me signed up for Lochaber now, just need to get the miles inimage

• Fiona, hope you've fully recovered after the 20 on Saturday, hope you don't have to do to much at the office

NN, Hope the 20 goes well

Tek, the legs are ok tired after today's run but that's to be expected, good run and totals for the week

Mace, the decsion to move the LSR was a good one, well done on the slow 4 miler

NP, good 20 miler in tough conditions, I wouldn't hit those paces in my dreams

SM6, nice running today and totals for the week

OH, enjoy the rest day

12.5 miles today along the canal an out and back, cold with a very light dusting of snow on the toepath, almost perfect running conditions, today's run was this first with some HMP effort, and as expected it was tough, ran up the the Dochgarroch locks just a little over 7 miles and up the pace from there.

11mm, from mile 8 the paces were 9:44mm, 8:40mm, 8:41mm, 8:57mm(a puppy knocked me off my stride) 8:34mm the avgHR got up too 169(89%), the last 0.5m @ 11:20mm.

A tough run and it is going to be a big ask to maintain these paces over 13.1, but I've  still got 8 weeks.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Another good mileage week banked Teknik jason and Stuart.image Good to get the run done now Stuart before the weather turns!

Must feel like progress mace with first phase ticked off.

That sounds like a really tough run NP. The cold/wind etc really does affect the MP effort as I found yesterday! And jason a great 20 there too, another tough one done. image

Stewart well done on the HMP session, these are really tough in training. Felt like I could have done another 20 today, legs fine as yesterday was easy pace. Just wait til I start MP! image

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

...and NN hope your 20 went well. image

F

• Still snowing here in Birmingham, a good 8-10 inches on the ground went for a good walk earlier to stretch the legs, heading to Yorkshire tomorow for 4 days work, will pack the running gear which will hopefully get an airing or two .

Well done everyone who went out today.
  • Hello all

you all seem to be seasoned pros at this, so I was after a bit of advice please

I have signed up for a full marathon this year, October 6th Bournemouth! After completing 2 half marathons last year in september and October and also in previous years.

I am now wondering if I should be using a heart rate monitor to help with my training?

Any recommendations or advice is all greatly recieved, 

Many thanks 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Kirsty- hi! image I don't use one and never have, but know a lot of the regulars do....

Stewart nice session image

Fiona- fresh legs sounds promising! image

MG- hope the snow sn't too disruptive.... image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Welcome KIrsty, I only use one now and again to run easy runs and slow me down I also find it hard to get a good signal most of the time image think Teknik is the HR expert.

SM6 well done on the weeks miles.

SC well done on your 12.5 miles, the pace will come.

Fiona sounds like your legs are starting to get used to the miles which is great.

My legs have just felt crap since this morning so filled the bath up with cold water made a cup of tea and sat in the bath for 15 mins, legs now felling a lot better, OH still thinks I'm mad so no change there lol.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- Lol! My other half has given up! imageimage
  • macemace ✭✭✭

NP - did you chuck a few buckets of snow in image

I did the same thing a few weeks back and it sorted me out as well .... not sure i could have managed a cup of tea through the screaming though image

Kirsty - welcome image i rarely run without my HR monitor. Take a look at the HADD training thread.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Where did we get Kirsty from Ksizzlepod image

• Some great running considering the current conditons..

Nice 20s Fiona/NP / Jason.

OH/MG1 well done on the 18s...OH like you I too a enjoying cold...but snow free running at the moment

StewartC great weeks mileage ..in the 50s now..no going back..

Tek you too good weekly mileage

SM6 yes tiredness through lack of sleep will affect HR just like any other form of tiredness or stress. a good 15 miles for you despite all that..

I didnt have to do any mp miles today "just" the regular 20 LSR so after 4.5 hours sleep following my 3rd night shift (just to make it sound dramatic   )image a freezing cold 3 hours 6 mins managed to run a neg split of 2 mins with AVE HR 72.2% MAX which I am dead chuffed with..as hr was low 80s for that pace last time I trained for a marathon..

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Mace- sure it was Kirsty before Ksizzlepod image

NN - great running imageimage
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great running NN, nice low HR. image

I think a cold bath would finish me off after a long run, always freezing by the end! image

4 easy miles to start the week off this morning. image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.  It appears the paths are very slowly starting to thaw, however it's still very cold.

• Actually HM4, they arent round here. We had another 6ish inches last night on top of what we already had. And it's still snowing pretty heavily image

• Don't think I could cope with a cold bath after a run (despite often going for a cold swim before/after a run) Still no snow here

NN 20 miles after a night shift sounds hard core!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse, great run in the cold and on little sleep.

A bit of slush here so i'm optimistic i could find a few spaces to run in tomorrow  after doing a bit of a reccy on the way to work image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona well done on the easy 4 miles, you just don't know what your missingimage the cold bath is well worth it.

HM4 you need to get out while its clear.

Welcome Carter.

OH think the snow is heading your way.

Mace sounds like a plan.

Snow still falling here recovery/easy day so 54x25m swim this morning will get out later for a run image