So how you gonna do your long sunday run in the snow all you marathon runners?

Comments

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I went out for a 10 mile LSR yesterday - glad I went then rather then wait for today as snowing heavily at the moment. Really enjoyed the first 8 miles but the last 2 were really hard work, felt like I was running in sand!

Wore my trails and thermal tights and top but still got extremely cold and suffered for it for the rest of the day - so wrap up warm.

• Went out on trail yesterday. Good covering of snow but apart from really steep hills my adidas kanadia's gripped well.
  • Lisa123, I've just done 8.5 miles and I agree the first 6 miles were fine, but the last 2.5 were a real pain, feet didn't want to go in the right direction !!

Plus it was snowing and was permanently going in my face, getting heavier and heavier. But now I'm home, showered and changed into warm comfy clothes I feel "great" and glad I got out there !!!

Got some very "strange"looks from non- runners. Although fellow runners were very friendly today, lots of waves & smiles !!
  • Just done 11 miles and my husband did 17! We both found it very hard work, neither of us have trail shoes, but the fresh snow has meant that it's not slippery at the moment. We're both glad we went out, i agree - once you're home and showered and warm, it's definitely worth it! I'd potentially suggest taking sunglasses out with you though as i found the glare from the snow a bit blinding!! 

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I went out and ran my 15 miles today. It was snowing lightly and some of the snow on the ground was slushy. Rather hard going, but not bad.

• I did 18m this morning......am I the only one who absolutely loves running in the snow? Even if it is a little slippery....its magic!
  • My trails had a lot of ice with a layer of week-old snow gradually coarsening over the top, which gives a better grip than bare ice or fluffy new snow. When the snow was new I wore through the rubber on a pair of Yaktrax on the previous Sunday's outing. This Sunday the correct tools were Icebug Heros and I clocked up 26.6 km.

http://media.sportamore.se/uploads/products/7310710076350_sportamore_007.jpg

• Roland, thanks for the tip re trail shoes.Needed a new pair, just clinched a deal for the Orocs on Amazon for 44 quidimage

• Snow running is great for the legs as you have to lift them higher and work a bit more. 16 miles yesterday in 4 inch snow and 9.5 this morning in 10 inches. And a bonus knowing that some of your competitors will be giving it a miss spurs you on even more. Looking forward to london
  • Shildonrunner wrote (see)
    Snow running is great for the legs as you have to lift them higher and work a bit more. 16 miles yesterday in 4 inch snow and 9.5 this morning in 10 inches. And a bonus knowing that some of your competitors will be giving it a miss spurs you on even more. Looking forward to london

Why does it spur you on more knowing that other people running London might not be out running in this weather ?

• This comment was not meant to offend but i train with a group of club runners some are die hard never miss a session and some are fair weather and when it comes to racing wonder why they dont get the same results so what im saying is if i do my 60 mile this week n a competitor only does 10 my results should be better as ive put in the extra effort of getting out in the conditions which brings a quicker finish time and placing. Not everyone has the choice of getting out depending where they live at the moment and it was not a criticism.
  • But why are you so interested in other people's times, are you planning on winning the race ? 

And as you say, not everyone has the choice/option of getting out at the moment so I think you're being a bit harsh by saying that that would spur you on even more.

You should focus on your own training and not worry about how other people are getting on.

• Isn't everyone interested in other people's times and how they measure up in a race. Otherwise why publish results? Shildon R was just putting a positive spin on getting out in the snow.
  • Maybe Shildons a compettive runner and has a bit of passion for racing - a bit of a rarerity on here.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Isn't everyone interested in other people's times and how they measure up in a race. Otherwise why publish results? Shildon R was just putting a positive spin on getting out in the snow.

Do you also agree with ShildonR that other people who cant get out to train at the moment spurs you on ?

• Carterusm i think you are missing the points. You are clearly not a club runner/ competitive runner as you would understand the comments and fun that goes on between club runners always trying to edge out fellow opponents. Its all good fun and we runners are all mates at the end of the day. Lighten up a little. Thanks for comments guys.
  • Shildon - you're right, I'm not a club runner but I am as competitive as the next man/woman. Are you now saying that your comment was only a bit of banter aimed at some of your club running mates ? 

• I think most runners could relate to this post. But every one has the right to their own opinion on the subject.
  • Well, my opinion is that if your comment was aimed at everyone in general who couldnt get out, then that was a harsh thing to say.

If your comment was only banter with your mates, which you didnt clarify, then I do understand that and thats fine. In that respect I am no different to you and many others.

My original comment was based on your original comment which appeared to be aimed at everyone.

• Not sure why you see this so negatively Carter. Have you been struggling with the weather? Sheffield is not the easiest place to get around in the snow.

I tend to agree with Sheldon. Whilst, I have enjoyed running in the snow very much, the idea that some people (who might have been a little bit quicker than me in the last race) aren't training due to the weather makes it extra satisfying.

There's noticeably more camaraderie in the snow, perhaps a 'them and us' feeling.

Similar in heavy rain too.
  • Lou - I have managed to get out a few times thankfully, despite the weather. I just disagree with appearing to take satisfaction over someone elses misfortune (a bit dramatic there I know). So, apologies to Shildon if my comments have come over in such a negative way

• Didn't Seb Coe train on Christmas Day because he knew Ovett would? Any advantage however slim was taken.

• Calm down, calm down! hahaha!!

Why is it such a big deal? The bloke went out for a run and saw it as getting an edge on those who didn't. That's his opinion. I can't see why that's offensive? Good for him if that's what floats his boat. I went out for no other reason than I fancied a run in the snow, good times. No need to argue chaps. We are all part of "the Running Community" or so I've read.

• Well done Crater for being man enough to make a grovelling apology to Sheldon for your comments. I take my hat off to you Sir
  • Ufo- we all watch our competitors whether olympic champions good club runners or a 1 hour 10 k runner you see the same people each race finishing just ahead and you aim to beat them.

Demon- yes we are all one big family.

Sussex runner- i hope you wernt out running in the snow when you took your hat off
  • I think most people aim to improve as a Runner and if you Run regularly you tend to improve whether you aim to or not!!

Never ran in the Snow before and towards the end of my long run I started to feel a bit "leggy" and just more tired than usual. I was out on Friday as well for shorter session in a blizzard!! that was fun. A bit mental but fun.

Sussex Runner -If I wear hat when I'm running it gives me a Zitty head and I never get Zits otherwise so I never bother with one!!! So I too "take my hat off".

• Getting a train to Clacton seems like a plan. A mountain biker friend suggested Walsh PBs. I opted for the treadmill yesterday at my local gym (N16, London) which has some outside so at least we had the cold breeze and a little snow falling on the machines image Otherwise, running in football socks under Ron Hill trousers helps to keep muscles warm. Don't forget to keep hydrated - you still need it.

If you're following a programme and 'miss' a run or two, you can't continue as if you had done this run so important to keep up the training.

Agree with Shildon that continuing to run in spite of snow does give you competitive edge - which is not the same as pointing and laughing at our snow-bound running comrades.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

New question.......

How am I going to do my long Sunday run in the rain???

I hate running in the rainimage

• Hope the temperature drops then, Kathy! Running in falling snow is much nicer. Myself I'm looking forward to taking an hour's flexitime this afternoon so I can get in a decent run in the sunshine, -17C image

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

-17C?!!

Where on earth are you, Steve?

Ah, Norway! How do you manage?