Monday 21st January 2013

Morning...stayed up to watch the snooker, so...

Lyrics: The snow is snowing The wind is blowing

Most will know the lyrics, but I struggled with the title! Don't bother with the singer: well and truly covered!

Actually, its still like New Zealand here in that there has been no snow! Rather different to other areas.

What: physio
Why: check on progress.

Will, subject to phys, legs etc, get in a decent walk with some running included. What is to be decided.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Things I Cannot Change by The Mavericks.

emzap - that sounds like an energetic and enjoyable way to spend your weekend.

Hope it goes well with the physio Alehouse.

More snow overnight but not as much as predicted - maybe another inch. Will find out if that's made a runnable surface or not when I walk Grace. I have a bit of a dilemma though as I would really like to get a LSR in and my options seem to be the treadie, the most I've ever done is 14 miles and I think it exacerbates any niggles you may be carrying as you can't subconsciously alter your gait and compensate or trail shoes and laps on the snow/ice, furthest I've run in my trail shoes is 14 miles, they don't have quite the same support/cushioning as my road shoes and the conditions underfoot alter your gait - which is worse?

What:              hopefully a LSR
    Why:               back to VLM training
    Last hard:       last year
    Last rest:        15/1

Lyrics - nope.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning.

What: a slow 5km plod
    Why: it's in the plan, plus I need something short and slow after the weekend!
    Lyrics: nope

LMH when I did my long snowy run the other day, I stuck as much as possible to foresty trails, I don't know if countryside is an option for you?  Maybe it's possible to find a shorter route that's ok then do laps of it?  Not ideal I know, but maybe better than exacerbating any niggles?  Oh and I was running in road shoes and it was fine (the snow came over the top of them in places though!).
    Ale sounds like you had a successful run yesterday.  How are you feeling today?
    Donaldo don't blame you for trying to get some fun into your weekend and not being stuck in the school all the time! 

Have a good one all.  Stay warm

• Sorry to hear about the back pain Tom - that must be very frustrating indeed. 

Nice racing RFJ - especially in the conditions

Sounds as though most of you are coping pretty well with running in the snow (or on treadmills to avoid the snow!) and also with the race cancellation disappointments.

skiing! you lucky thing emzap.  I love it but havent been for ages (not quite as long as 10 years though!)

hoping the progress is good alehouse

good luck with that long run LMH

what: 11k easy with a couple of short sprints at the end
    why: recovery run.   and working out whether I can remember how to sprint (I can so long as its not for too far!)

• Well I may have underestimated the amount of snow we had overnight and it's been falling steadily the whole time I've been out with Grace so the good news is that the trails are fine underfoot - if a little deep in places!

emzap - I shall stick to the trails. I have a cunning route of laps and loops worked out that should leave me no more than a couple of miles from home at worst so I can bale out quite easily. May stick to my road shoes too as grip isn't an issue, the trail shoes are better if it's a little icy - and much warmer though! I shall do what I can and come back when/if it gets too much - too nice out there to be stuck in the gym instead. No such things as bad weather etc etc - superfurrywarm tights here I come image

I may be gone some time...................

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Good luck LMH

Snowing heavily now here as well, I shall also try and stick to some trails!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    enjoy the run LmH , Emz - glad you enjoyed skiing. Am I the only one whose never done it?
    Managed to get out for 6 miles yesterday, mainly on pavements and it was ridiculously mild - despite the snow. Got some strange looks as I was wearing shorts, but at worst was around zero degrees, some people dressed like they were in the arctic.
    Today - well London streets slushy and snow covered, but I think that would have melted off by lunchtime, so hopefully 6 tempo along Embankment.
    Why - ease back week, Southern XC on Saturday
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - last week

have a great day 

• hi dustin - was planning on heading down to the embankment this evening - would be interested in hearing what the conditions are like...

• Lyrics: still no idea
    Dustin if you want some really strange looks you should try outdoor swimming in winter image
    never skied outside Scotland but still no snow in far North

What: undecided
    Why: see how work goes. Still a bit stiff after Saturday
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: yesterday

Have "screwed" an old pair of running shoes in preparation for snow - it seems to have frightened the snow away completely!

LM.H good luck with  the LSR
    AH
    hope all goes well with physio and exercise

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hi DaveG...embankment fine, bit slushy near Blackfriars but Westminster clear. The Southbank between London eye and Southwark is mainly snow covered still. Have to be a bit careful but not slippy yet, although I imagine that will change when the temp drops.

• 17 miles run with only one near fall. Not my fastest but then it was never going to be with snow around 4 - 5" deep and still falling. Beautiful out though and I saw four or five other runners making the most of the opportunity - all men though.

• Hi guys - back from the sickbed image. Norovirus hit our family and I was out for the cound for a few days. Yuck.

Sorry to hear about all those race cancellations. It really looks like the UK is bearing the brunt this time around. Northern Germany is virtually snow free albeit very cold and the wind is nasty.

Good long run banked, LMH.

Tom: bummer about back pain - like others said: it may have to do with the set up of your bike.

RFJ: great racing yesterday - I guess yours must have been one of the few races that actually went ahead.

Managed a couple of very short (1m) runs over the past couple of days to fulfill my Jantastic commitment (Marathontalk listeners will be familiar with the campaign). And I'm hoping to resume my training plan tomorrow. Luckily I built 2 spare weeks in, so I'm still on schedule. Just wondering how long it'll take to get back to pre-illness fitness. Things had been going rather well and I am dreading to be back in the slow & shit camp image

what: something short after work
    why: getting back into it
    last hard: being ill
    last rest: Thursday
    lyrics: don't think so

• Dustin: thanks for that, i was hoping it would be like that down there - pretty clear in moorgate where i work so hoping i can have a clearish run to blackfriars and then do a few very easy laps to westmister and back - looking at the forecast its supposed to stay above freezing til 7ish so hopeful its shouldnt be too icy - thanks again

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Well done LMH
    Chicka 
    sorry to hear you've been ill;

I think that was the slowest 5km I've ever ran!  Snow was over the top of my shoes though, so I'm just happy I got out there!

• Afternoon

What 8.5 easy
    Why Monday
    Lyrics no

Didn't get out yesterday as I slept in. Started off on my noermal 8 mile commute only to find some of the side roads that I normaly had turned to sheet ice. Instead kept to the main roads using bus and cycle lanes where possible. Apart fro a bit of dressage along a small section of the A40 this seemed to work out quite well.

• Glad you're on the mend chickadeee - don't rush it though.

emzap - it was over my shoes too - very cold in the sheltered slushy bits which soaked my feet. I did consider hanging on for the extra 3 miles to make it a 'real' long run but I was getting cold and tired - don't know whether that was the cold, the extra effort or the lack of recent long runs showing. I was making a conscious effort to stay 'easy' though - and not to injure myself.

postie - only the main roads were clear here on Sunday and they are not as good today with wide slush/snow 'verges' having formed. I'm ready for a thaw!

• Well done to get your LSR in LM.H

Well done to PP and emzap too

Some snow now but not settling.
    Chill factor significant with strong winds

• Evening! Nice long run, LMH, and worth more than a 17, methinks! Chick: sorry to hear that you have been ill, but if you are going to be ill during a marathon campaign now is better than later! Postie: enjoyed your "My Little Pony" moment! What little snow there has been has now gone, although it was a bit of a pain driving to physio this morning, a round trip of just under a 100 miles. Worth it as she was pleased! Happy with me running, albeit slowly and building up cautiously, paying regard to my good calf in particular. Doesn't want to see me until after my prostate treatment, the final part of which is scheduled for the 15th Feb.

edit to log training! 55 mins brisk walk, wirh undulations: pushed the uphill.

Wabo! Hope Cleo is looking after you and you are able to get some warm weather training in! United were robbed, yesterday, of course! Who am I to disagree with Sir Alex!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

5 miles easy XC in the snow tonight, started in the fading light and finished in the dark. Took the dog who loves the snow and ran himself silly throughout.

Lyrics- nope!

• Great news Alehouse. I don't really hold with this 'snow miles being worth more' thing  my HR was quite low throughout so any extra effort was purely muscular rather than cardiovascular. I have a plan to make the best use of the bad conditions by introducing some speedwork when confined to the treadie - so I hope I'm not prevented from running outside for long!

• Been absent without leave again! Good to see M. holding up the NZ part of the thread!

Alehouse - looks like things have been improving for you! 55 minutes - great stuff!

Little Miss happy - still training well - is it for London marathon, or a tri?

Tom - are you cycling now?

What: 5km run/walk with son in Cornwall Park, with sunglasses on! Yes, exactly the opposite weather to what you guys are having. I always find it hard to get motivated to run when it is hot.

• Hi NZC! It was 55mins walk...it will be some time before it is 55 minutes run! Glad its hot!

• Alehouse - 55 minutes is 55 minutes! Last time I looked, you weren't going anywhere! Just don't overdo it and you'll be posting walk/runs soonimage

• Lyrics, nope. Continued fortitude, Alehouse.

LMH, well done on getting out there and it must be said ENJOYING the conditions. The fresh stuff is lovely.

Emz, you are right, the trails are the place to be. Glad you survived the ankle breakers though.

M, was that 11k a planned session? Or just something you make up as you go along?

Dustin (of snow?)  Like you I have never actually skied on snow. I recall a couple of sessions on a dry ski slope, with about 40 years between them. This is most odd for someone like me who will try their hand at anything practical, especially when I was known as a hard man of the mountains at one point. Good luck at the Southern XC at the weekend.

OH, open water swimming in winter? You’ll be telling me that you go without a wetsuit next.

Chick, take it steady. (Washes hands vigorously)

Postie, a run bagged is a run bagged.

NZC, nice to see you here again. I heard that Sydney was copping for 45 degrees, what have you folks been getting?

Me? Worked through lunchtime, got away early and decided to hook the bike onto the turbo. The target was “Gladiator” start to finish. I didn’t realise that the film was 2h20m long. Taking a 3 minute hill every 15 minutes, or maybe a speeded up section broke up the sameness. Total was 37 miles, and I know it.

• I heard earlier that the Southern is cancelled! Might damage the park!

• Blisters Is there any other way? image

Bit of the white stuff settling here now ...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

yeah southerns at Parly Hill cancelled ... too many sledgers at the weekend have left it unviable. First time its been cancelled (other than for world wars...)

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Quick post,

thanks for comments yesterday

5.75m tonight round the ind est, as clear of ice / slush and snow....

Take care