PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Or:

First ever marathon at Stratford in April

Norwich 100 on the day before Chiltern 100 (I toyed with the idea of doing both and then realised what a daft idea that was). Only live a mile or so from Chiltern 100 start so I'll do the route sometime. Done Norwich before - it's nice!

Lots of swimming. Currently doing 4k swims once a month. As much OW as I can.

(oh, and Marlow HIM in July!)

• You can't miss the C100, it's a pirate favourite, and a proper 180km too. Surely more fun than 100 flat windy miles around Norwich?

• mmmmmm....... flat roads ...mmmmmmmm image

• C100 is evil. Spose I'd better at least do the medio this year though rather than wimping out on the nice pleasant short route. See you all on one of the hills of hell. image

• I'm up for the Corto! I might make it back in time to see everyone, rather than an empty field image

• website says 177km Cat - cheating again eh??

Alas its the same day as Enduroman (and 2 weeks after Lanza) - think I'll go to Enduroman to cheer DK on and throw things at Seren image

• Rafiki wrote (see)

website says 177km Cat - cheating again eh??

Not if you take the necessary zigzags up the hills!

• Maybe there's a change of plan on the way then - have to see what the family say, we're in Norfolk on holiday that week and it'll mean coming home earlier than currently planned.

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Rafiki wrote (see)

Not if you take the necessary zigzags up the hills!

That's what happens when you ride with those fancy wheels of yours - slightest breeze and you're all over the place!!

• Blisters - Have you had a look at Don Fink "Be Iron Fit" I have found its pretty straightforward and seems to be popular on here. I do wonder whether it may be a bit short of time on the bike compared to the amount of running.You seem to be doing well on the different disciplines I'm not reaching the same levels by a long way. My longest ride is 24miles so far and 65 lengths.

Is early June a good time for a 100mile ride for a Sep IM? Not sure I'll be ready for Chilterns but might try Norwich.

I have a long way to go and a lot of training to do if I'm going to make it through this in one piece.

• You'll be fine Scuba - what is your riding experience? Have you ever been further than 24miles? If not, I would strongly recommend adding more cycling to the Fink plan. I class myself as an OK cyclist but I will still add more than the Fink plan suggests (at the expense of one of the run sessions)

There's a long way to go yet so don't worry about the numbers too much at the mo. It's all about hitting the peak period strong and healthy.

• I am being tempted with Stratford marathon after Gloucester got cancelled.

Swimming remains an area that needs work.

Big bike rides planned as solo efforts, unless I can persuade someone of similar level to tag along. (sorry, x post) I am very aware that bike endurance is the key to this event. My basic philosophy was thus:
    2012: Have stupid idea, and believe in the possible.
    -learn to swim front crawl. (3x per week since April)
    -enjoy cycling (1x per week)
    -start back into running.
    -enter a baby tri or two.

After September 2012, it was:
    -rebuild the marathon fitness, target race January, no target time.
    -maintain the swimming (2x per week at the moment)
    -bike a bit harder (1x per week, but sometimes back to back off the long run)

After Christmas 2012, it was:
    -now I have a turbo, that means more bike sessions
    -focus those long runs, January is mighty close
    -swim (2x per week)

And now.
    -I want a marathon, to see where the rebuild has got to.
    -A focussed long bike ride that's NOT 12 hours after a 22 mile pacey run.
    -Swimming appears to remain a challenge. I could plod 80 or 100 lengths, I could work harder for 64, but that is clearly in poor style because I tense up, and that's where injuries come from. I worry about the swim cut off.

• UB - No riding experience until the last couple of months when I bought my first road bike. 24 miles or 1:30hr on a turbo is the furthest I've managed so far. I'm going to up the bike time compared to Fink. I'm reading "Going Long" at the moment and they put a lot of emphasise on the bike.

Blister - I'm working hard on the swim too with 3 sessions a week and one of them is with the tri club to get some coaching input.

Managed 9 sessions (3 of each) and about 8hrs this week. Next week is cut back week and I feel like I need it.

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Alas its the same day as Enduroman (and 2 weeks after Lanza) - think I'll go to Enduroman to cheer DK on and throw things at Seren image

thanks Raf I hadn't checked the date and I'm doing Endurman Half and yelling abuse at DK too. Don't throw things at me though. image 

Phew, perfect excuse to avoid the C100. 

• image all depends Soupy..... are there going to be any cakes going at Enduroman??? image

• Not if you are going to throw them at me. image  Unless its for fuel as I go past on the run. image 

I'm looking forward to Enduroman. There might be double cakes for DK. 

• Rafiki wrote (see)

don't think you can hide on here and insult me without knowing.............and you won't be able to throw things at me because I will be going too fastimage......

• Rafs in trouble. image

• Raf's always in trouble.  It's his middle name image

• Soup - do you have a gpx of the corto route?

• not sure Schmunks. I might have, I'll have a look back and let you know. 

• corto route last year - harder than most years with Wardrobes added in where I fell off. 

Henley is going to be fun - I could be pushing the bike a bit. image

• Looks like the route has been agreed.....this form today's Henley Standard:

Parish councils, businesses and Henley MP John Howell were surprised to learn the final route had been decided without them being consulted.

Event organisers Just Racing UK had circulated three possible routes among affected parish councils, most of which raised objections.

Now a fourth previously unseen route has been agreed with Oxfordshire County Council which will be used for the third annual triathlon event on Sunday, September 8.

The Challenge competitors will race along sections of the A4130 between Henley and Nuffield and the B481 between Nettlebed and Watlington. Three tourist attractions are likely to have to close and businesses along the route will also be affected by the 12-hour road closures that will be needed.

• Quick look at the map, makes the route a little easier I think image

• fantastic news - on both accounts!

• I'll echo that, ever so glad it's sorted.

Also I'll be really surprised if there is a Challenge Henley in 2014 (but I wouldn't be surprised if Challenge Maidenhead or something like that appeared).

• Will there be a practice weekend planned ? In the summer when its nice and warm I hope ?
  • I hope this news is true! Hoo-bloody-rah!

I am definitely up for a recce - I'd be up for a few actually. Maybe a 1 loop, 2 loop and then 3 loop affair (assuming it's still three loops?) Can someone explain how the bike course is easier - less hills I presume? I think they quoted 1800m climbing on the original course - any idea what this might be down to now?

Looking forward to starting training - Finkettes you have 11 days and counting! image

• image Cougie I should think so......finishing at a rather nice ice cream parlour.......

The new route is also a lot smoother than the old. I cycled teh old route last weekend - its was bumpy enough before, but this last bought of snow and ice has taken its toil!!