RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Also... another question.. Based on the sandwich debate - how do people carry food with them? I have a camelbak and it's really useful for drinks and gels but i can imagine that sandwiches are going to be icky pretty quickly. What do others do?

• I've used home made raspberry, which was relatively runny, but also standard supermarket-type strawberry and also marmalade. If you can't use a drop off point to leave them, it's best to find a flat plastic box that fits in your backpack - clingfikm alone doesn't really do the trick.
  • Hows that hamstring Em? whats your plan for the week,

re the food thing, i just cling film and squash it into the pocket on the back of my monaco vest, its not pretty but it works.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Howdy all, I dont want to jump in and run... but... am in Geneva until tomorrow night and although I have my running gear - i dont think i'll be getting out tonight/tomorrow... am stuck working after a huge critical incident at work.

When you asked me - what's my plan: my first thought was: survival!

I'll email more on wednesday or tomorrow if i have time.

• No worries, rest up.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Arrived back in Brussels last night and unfortunately they're not as well planned with their handling of snow/ice. Driving home last night was OK but this morning there's A LOT of black ice out there. I went out this morning for a little test around my local streets and they're really icy so i'm going to see what it's like at work and maybe run around there.

My training plan for this week is as follows:

• 5 easy
    • 8 easy
    • 5 tempo
    • 12 long
    What do you think? Also - do you have any tips for dealing with ice? I'm OK on snow but ice is my downfall (literally!).
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

*waves*

Hello everyone. After bailig on a few runs earlier this week due to work/ice - i decided to get out at lunch in the hope that it was better.

I still need to upload my mile splits but it was 5 miles in roughly 55 mins. Nothing spectacular but I was being overly cautious at a few points. They've still not cleared all of the snow/ice and I nearly fell over twice already today. I've got some snow tracks for my shoes but they dont work well on the road - so its a little difficult to wear at the moment as its such a mixture.

Todays run was -4 (at 1pm).... so i think I made the right choice. Despite wearing my thermals and wearing more layers than humanly acceptable - i was a little cold when i had to stop at traffic lights!

The only issue i had (apart from the snow) was my breathing. I wore a buff but i still found that for the first 10 minutes - I struggled with the cold air.

If i'm being honest FF - unless i go to the gym for the treadmill and run 5 miles tempo there - i'm not sure it's going to happen. I could do another 5 miles easy tomorrow or what do you think?

My plan is:

Friday: 5 miles
    Saturday: 12 miles
    Sunday: 8 miles

and..... umm... i've entered a few more marathons... dont worry - currently they're after Paris. BUT I was persuaded by a friend into a triple:

May 5th: Bewl marathon
    May 6th: Richmond marathon (high up on the waiting list)
    May 7th: Milton Keynes Marathon

So I think you're right about needing to work on time on my feet image 

• Emmy darlin - MK mara is the 6th, you've not double booked have you, or are your dates slightly out? I only know that as Foxy and I are lined up to likely be doing the baggage for it x

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

.....So... MK is May 6th.... That's a sunday.... hmm... I think Mel and I need to work on our dates....

We're backups for Richmond... so it would be deciding Milton Keynes or Richmond. I could have sworn it was bank holiday monday...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hang on a second...

6th May this year is on Monday....So I was right.... and Mel is spamming my mailbox with screenshots of calendars and the MK marathon website.

Has Foxy double booked himself? Shouldnt he be running 10 times round a lake?image

OK... let me correct myself:

4th May: Bewl
    5th May: richmond
    6th May: MK.

I think I need a lie down 

• 10 in 10 starts end of that week - yours truly is designated taxi up on the Thurs for 3 of them image x
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol. You're so lucky! image Are you also personal massage therapists for them? image

OK... so hopefully everything for the triple (or as i've affectionately called it: the threesome)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - there's no stopping you with those marathon entriesimage

Can't believe there's a waiting list for Richmond

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Lol, Shades - I blame you and VR entirelyimage to be honest this set of marathons was based on a discussion at the Enigma double. We were thinking about the best training for the quadzilla and other multi day events (thinking of wovlo (sp?) and as these were so close together - it made perfect sense!

Richmond sold out on Tuesday/Wednesday of this week and they started a waiting list. Have you run it before? I've ran part of the course with the Thames meander marathon last year but not really extensively.

I went out for my 12 miler yesterday and my gosh it was SLOW. There were a few slow miles running around trying to find the owner of a dog who was running around a busy country lane by itself, in the freezing cold and without a collar and then helping out another runner who had fallen over whilst attempting to not fall on ice myself :/ my council is not known for their gritting abilities at the best of times but its been ridiculous this season.

It was so nice to see people trying to help yesterday. I was running from house to farm to house with this little fella running behind me and although they didn't know the dog they offered to take him in whilst I searched or offered me a hot drink (it was -5 and I found out my lips were a little blue at the end).

I've just eaten my breakfast and am synching myself up for my run this morning. T give you an overview of the view outside my window: snow flurries, 3cm on the ground and the temperature reads as -5.... Layers it is!!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Greetings from a snowy Frankfurt. It's -2 but feels surprisingly warm. I managed 5miles tonight but I have to admit that my knee was starting to hurt towards the end. I presume it's because of the different way that i'm running in the snow? anyone else have any ideas?

So... I believe in my own public humilation so i'll share this story with you. I went out tonight with my skins compression tights on... very nice and warm... 5 miles are done and dusted and before going into the hotel - I decide to do some stretching just outside... coincidentally right outside the hotel restaurant.... 2 minutes into a hamstring stretch I hear... "RIIIIIPPPPPPPP".... My ass was promptly on show to the entire restaurant and most particularly - a group of japanese business who didnt know where to look!

Cue me taking off my jacket as quickly as I could and wrapping it around my waist and running as fast as i could inside image

I've left my running schedule in Belgium so can't post - but i think it's going to be 5,9,5,14/18? I need to check and confirm.

So... what's your most embarrassing running story to make me feel better?

• Hi Emmy, here is mine.

I was sat in a restaurant in Frankfurt when this woman started mooning to me and my Japanese friends......image

Well, last year I was out and about on a run in some woods when the gingerbread man paid a visit. I found a nice group if bushes and nipped behind. Unfortunately as I was in the act a woman went by walking her 3 dogs. She was not amused as I cheerily waved hello and carried on !!
  • I'm no expert Emmy, but you could be right about the snow causing the knee pain. Where does it hurt? One knee in particular? Outside of knee, below kneecap, sharp pain, dull pain, when did it come on, when did it go (if it's gone), what did it feel like this morning? Tell Docter Gonzalez...

Most embarassing moment... I'll have to think about that one and get back to you.

Right. Headtorch...check. Shoes... check. Yuki suit... check.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@CarterUSM - LOL! I love it. I did run pretty fast away from them.

I was once 'caught short' and thought that I had found a pretty isolated place to 'do the deed'.... instead I was caught by CCTV and had security guards chasing me out of the work compound (I was on the outskirts of their car park but it was adjacenet to a park so I thought it was 'safe')

Dear Dr. Gonzalez, It hurts at the bottom, front of the knee. It's a little sore this morning but that could also be because I'm in heels today.

Did you manage to get out for your Yuki suit run? How was it?

• Run was fantastic. 70 mins, No one else about. Fresh footprints in the snow.

Knee could be PFPS if it's hurting at the bottom front. Leg presses in the gym help it.

Okay - most embarrasing is a toss up between me coming across a couple in a car park doing things to each other, altho that was far more embarrasing for them. Or me getting a nose bleed while out on a long run one day. I carried on running while trying to hold my head back and pinching my nose. Cue a couple walking along to find a man with his face, right hand and shirt covered in blood running towards them at a fair rate of knots. They looked like their lives were flashing before their eyes.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - LOL at your tights splitting, complain to Skins, they're not cheap

Yes, did Richmond the first year but DNF'd at 12 miles, it was the most appalling f*** up of race organisation I've ever known. 

• Emmy, Sweatshop are doing Skins half price at the mo, you might want to get some fancy pants to go under the old ones.... I also did Richmond in their first year, and also DNF'ed, I had done a 33 miler the day before and there was no way I was getting round with so few water stops on a hot day. I think they made some changes last year, but it clashes with my favourite race of all, North Dorset Villages Marathon.

• 2 of the very worst things you can do as an event organiser is 1) have the course way too long and 2) not enough water image

• One big plus was being led out by a chap in a gorilla outfit on a bike though.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

KateF - LOL, yes I remember the gorilla, that was funny.   North Dorset is one of my favourites tooimage

Sister BH - I disagree, the worst is to have a course that is short, technically not a marathon thenimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks girls! image (and not forgetting you, Weedy!). After a few embarrassing emails - I received a pair of tiger pants this morning from a colleague who was there on Monday night.

@Weedy - The couple after the nosebleed might have thought that you had being attacked?

@Shades - You're right. Unfortunately, I threw them in the bin at the hotel... they were incriminating evidenceimage

I'm hoping that Richmond will have improved this year after realising their issues. When was the first year, by chance? I'd love to do the North Dorset Marathon but it's just a little too far for me to travel.

So... i had a long lie in this morning as my train was delayed yesterday night so the plan is to do a core workout tonight followed by a run tomorrow morning.

I'm going to put the call out here...and hope that FF doesn't kill/disown me.

Is anyone interested in running Pilgrims next weekend? 2 days, 66 miles?... image Anyone? A friend of mine who was planning to do it with me has got issues with childcare so might not be doing it.... so i was wondering if others were?

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Is anyone interested in running Pilgrims next weekend? 2 days, 66 miles?... image Anyone? A friend of mine who was planning to do it with me has got issues with childcare so might not be doing it.... so i was wondering if others were?

Emmy, you're like a force of nature! FF has their work cut out, that's all I can say.
    It's a bit too far south for me I'm afraid. If it was nearer I might have considered one of the days.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - I'm already looking at the Hadrian Wall ultra; thanks to you image I'm not a force of nature... just easily persuadedimage

At the moment nothing is confirmed.... i'm still waiting to see what FF says.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - I think 2011 was the first year of Richmond..as I DNF'd it's not on my race results spreadsheet...LOL

66 miles in two days, off road, no thanks!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Shades - is that just because it has "off road" in it?image