Opinions on a race memento please.

Comments

• So the photographer is paying you ?
  • Best 10k memento I got was a ice cold 500ml bottle of beer at the finish. It was superb and all that more enjoyable after the run than a medal. Tell you something it was appreciated by the majority of finishers. Go with that, you'll get them back next year as well........ Lol.
  • Logistical nightmare at most races. Though a lot of people arent that fussed but some of us are I like medals I like a good quality T.

From a RD point of view. T shirts make sense something you can run in. Mobile (although not on grand scale) advertising.

Why bother pleasing everyone. Its not worth the effort.A race says you get this and that a lot of people will be happy some wont. Thsi is the entry fee pay or not if tyou want free run round the park.

• I should have done Helsby at the weekend, you get the option to buy a tech T shirt momento rather than just built into the entry fee
  • No he's not paying us, Im not sure what your getting at?  The fee went up last year as we hadnt it up in years and it is the only way the race could survive. It costs a lot of money to stage.  The photgrapher is a local company who has offered to take pics on the day.  Having a photo was a memento was an idea that was bandied about today. An attempt to make it a bit more intersting than a T shirt that no-one want 

• We have looked at the cost of the Tech Tees and for us its a long way out of our budget.  If given a massive pot then that would be the first choice 

• So if the photographer is taking 500 photos and posting them out to the runners it's costing someone some money that could have gone into the overall budget
  • Donna I feel for you dont get into an argument about it. Everyone will have different thoughts on it. I think its good idea some dont. Try it for the first year if it doesnt work change or ditch 

SHHIMPLESimage

• Goldbeetle, I wanted to know if the photo was something people would like.  We will be giving a memento this year as we do every year. I see Dave the ex spartans point of view, however there are lots of others who dont. The cluib would happily use the money to fund our youngesters but its not as simple as that is it? 

• Dave, Of course we would have to pay for them the same as we would pay for anything we give.  

Thanks everyone for your input, Food is looking like a good option! Hmm might contact the local bakery image

• As I posted at the weekend we had the option to buy the memento tech tee if you wanted, I assume some people paid some didn't
  • But what happens with the 100+ tech tees that are paid for that no-one wants to buy? Its still an outlay? 

• Nope. They only ordered enough to cover the people who paid for them, it was an option when you entered
  • Nice idea, I personally like it. Doesnt help me with the other 200 people who want medals and t shirts built into there entry image. I dont think we are going to agree. Photos clearly not popular though lol. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Photo - definitely no.  I never look my best during a race.  I showed my mother a photo of me taken during a race.  She said "that's nice, dear.  Who is it?"

I'm not fussed about medals, especially as most of them are cheap and nasty.  If you go for a medal get a decent one, and have the event name and date (or at least the year) on it.

Also not fussed about t-shirts - most end up in the charity shop or as bike-cleaning rags.

I would appreciate cake, or a roll/sandwich, or a beer much more image

• Us runners are resourceful people and believe it or not we are quite capable of taking photos ourselves since it only involves having a camera and pressing a button.
  • Funny.Donna was only asking for a bit of feedback no need to take the piss

• Funny. What the hell are you talking about. She said be honest. Why would anyone want something that is so easy to do yourself. Please think before posting in future.
  • Sarcasm is the height of honesty?. try thinking about being courteous for once

• My local 10K race gives away a mug with the race date and time on it, (it also has sponsors name on the back) I love my mug use it everyday - I think thats perfect!  Another local race gives out water, bananas and a choccie bar.

If a race is £10 I wouldnt expect a momento to be fair, I know that many would though!  

+1 for Cake and a drink - YUM! 

Good Luck!

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I can understand why people that enter a lot of events would rather have a few quid off the entry fee rather than another medal, t-shirt, etc; however, I only enter about 6 a year so it's nice to get something. My preference would be a medal, as long as it is decent quality. Personally I wouldn't want a photo or a kit bag.
  • Well, I quite like the photo idea, as I am a total narcissist, but I never buy the official race photos because they're so expensive. So I would feel like I was getting something quite good, as it would normally cost more than a tenner to order race photos separately. I also like the cake idea, though.

I did a race recently where the memento was a framed cartoon, about A4 size. No-one at all wanted that. Takes up loads of space and isn't that decorative.

• i love towels.......and I had a teatowel with the route on once......mugs ok...loved the flask mugs that keep drinks warm.... liked coasters

• I hate race photos, the only decent one of me was taken for free by Bryan Dale, he's the Staffordshire/Cheshire man who really does give away free photos.

But, a pro shot, on a decent slr, with a background and the chance to wipe the crap off your face and compose yourself, why not?

You can't please everyone, just do what you want.

• Lake Vyrnwy do a t shirt with all the runners names on the back, great idea but crap printing, all the names rub off so pointless.

• I'd hate a photo - I always look blooming awful in race photos!

Personally I like a medal but know a lot of poeple don't. Otherthan that if it's winter a cup of tea at the end goes down well! and I did a summer 10k where you got a voucher for an ice cream which was great! Other momentoes I'm not really interested in, I've got too many enough mugs, towels, etc already and as others have mentioned t-shirts are normally too big and end up getting used as rags for cleaning. Did once get a pen, which was useful.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Entering races for 13 years I've now got a houseful of mementoes.  Hard to get away from the fact that' there's a runner in the house.

Best mementoes: engraved tumblers/whisky glasses, slate coasters, a toilet bag, technical Ts especially Montane ones, cotton Ts, Christmas puddings

I have about four drawers of cotton T's.  The ill-fitting ones or ones with pompous messages on get used straightaway for decorating/dirty jobs and get thrown out. Most of the rest I enjoy wearing - I've never had to buy a T for 13 years - and once faded they join the pile of ones to be used for dirty jobs or as rags.

Middling mementoes: mugs, medals (remember not to put the medal round your neck after finishing - they will get salt on them and quickly rust), tea towels, paperweights, sponsor's food samples, shoe bags

Worst mementoes; nasty plastic drink bottles, nylon bum bags, certificates where you have to fill in your race details yourself, long-sleeved cotton Ts (which I don't wear)

I have bought a few race photos.  They have to be good and include the date and finish time.

There's probably other stuff, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

• i hate race photos of myself - sorry. Loved that can of London Pride after Ealing half though..

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

All races should have something to put in your hand after the finish, even if only a voucher for a free pint or £3 off your next meal at a cafe.  You need something for your achievement.

An official photo as a memento is a novel idea.   Would have to be somewhere during the event though, not after the finish.  Most race photographers charge £10-20 for a race photo which is stupid money, so getting one "free" I would have thought might be popular.