First Treadmill run

First ever treadmill run this morning. Horrible, just horrible. Damn you snow!

Comments

• I hate treadmills! I can walk (not run!) or cycle for hours outside but 5 minutes on a treadmill and I'm bored and grumpy! I can't find a comfortable pace when there are numbers on the screen in front of me, I can't find a rhythm because I'm watching where I put my feet so I don't fly off and look like a (bigger) plonker, and I become obsessed watching the time, distance, speed and calories.

Will this winter never end?
  • JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

Just think: If you can run on a treadmill and the monotony of it running outside will be a doddle.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I like treadmills image

• I had to do a 20 miler on the treadmill on Sunday, I think it should be classified as torture.... podcasts and a towel over the display helped me through.

• I think running on the treadmill is great
  • @ Ross. Thanks for the tip. I find music annoying when running (I know I am in a minority on this) but the idea of a podcast is appealing, I will try this tomorrow.

Weirdly, I feel tender in the hips & ankles today which is not something I normally feel when road running.

• Set incline to 1% to allow for lack of resistance/push off and to correct posture to more natural gait. That might alleviate the hip/ankle problem. Fartlek or play with the inclines or do interval training to make it more interesting. Try the Marquis de Sade:
    500m mara pace
    400M half mara pace
    300m 10kpace
    200m 5k/mile pace
    100m sprint
    100m recovery and repeat. Do 3-5 reps once a month. Advantage on the treadmill is you know the real speed, distance and time you've covered

• Straycelt I will try that one. I have recently bought a treadmill as an alternative when short of time shift work life etc.

The furthest I have managed is 6 but I am enjoying doing the interval programs on it I think it's because the time counts down and I am not sure what is coming next.

Ross 20 OMG respect...The towel over the display is a good idea...