Oh no...just entered my 1st half marathon!

Does anyone have any good half marathon training plans?

Super excited about it!!!

Comments

• I think it depends on what level your at now, when the race is, what your general health is like. There are so many different factors. Have you even jogged before?

I wish you good luck with it, but just do a lot of stretching, do some leg strengthening, and start increase the miles bit by bit, and leave the last three of the half to race day. As a veteran of about 15, you always remember your first, and its a special moment, since you are more worried about completing it, than what time your going to do it in.

• I am at 10-15km running max at the mo.

I am looking forward to it but feeling a bit sick at the thought over just over 13 miles!

• Amanda - when's your half?
  • Plenty of time. My first HM, I started from a base of running four miles, three times a week. I then followed a very simple schedule I found online (http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html) - scroll down the page for the schedule, and there's a printable pdf version linked as well. It takes you up to 1 12 mile training run, although I went a bit further - psychologically, I found it helped to have reached and passed 13 miles in training, so that on the day, when I was trying to run it, I knew I could make the distance - it was the time that was the challenge. There are lots of other, more structured plans available, involving speed sessions etc.

Remember that your longest run each week is an LSR - long slow run. That means it should be run at a conversational pace (you could chat with someone). It would also be beneficial to run at least one run a week (preferably not the one just after your LSR) at a good speed (for you).

Since you have time, I'd suggest building up to something like the weeks 5-7 of the scheduleI indicated, then either alternate hard (that level) and easy (drop yourlong run down by two or three miles) weeks, or do two weeks hard (e.g. weeks 6 and 7 of this schedule) then one week easy. That way you should get your legs ready but not too tired. Also, you've got time so if you get a cold, or a niggle (e.g. a pulled hamstring) and can't run for a week, it won't be important.

If you have a parkrun nearby (look it up - free, timed 5K runs in parks all over, every Saturday - just register online, print your ID and turn up), go do that sometimes as weel - they're fun and friendly.

Tapering the last couple of weeks should have you itching to get out there and run the half!

And, most importantly, enjoy! Enjoy the training runs and you'll enjoy the HM.