RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Comments

• Emmy H wrote (see)

@Weedy - I'm already looking at the Hadrian Wall ultra; thanks to you image I'm not a force of nature... just easily persuadedimage

Brill. I'm doing the two days if you fancy that. Been recce-ing the route in stages with a couple of folks who are also doing it. We've done the Carlisle to Lanercost bit and we're meeting up this Saturday to do the Lanercost to Vindolanda section.
    Here's a video I found of last year's run. Just ignore the fact it's raining. It won't be like that this year, I promise .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTY4g9KkEw&feature=player_embedded

• Too short is, of course, what I meant Shades - apologies I was more than a little brain dead yesterday image I have a conundrum at work and it's causing my bonce to fry.......

As for Emmy, easily persuaded - I think you'll find, young lady, that it's you putting ideas in others heads from what I've witnessed image

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - probablyimage but I'm trying to avoid doubles although I have to do a couple of them this year.   After that I just want to do single events.

When are you signing up to do a 10 in 10 then?

Sister BH - LOL

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Sister Bad Habit wrote (see)

Too short is, of course, what I meant Shades - apologies I was more than a little brain dead yesterday image I have a conundrum at work and it's causing my bonce to fry.......

As for Emmy, easily persuaded - I think you'll find, young lady, that it's you putting ideas in others heads from what I've witnessed image

Moi?! image I can assure you that i'm only partly responsible image

Talking of that i've just signed up to London 50KM.... It's instead of the eco trail de Paris. It's cheaper AND in February... so more time for recovery between then and Paris. Oh... and I can use my camelbak.

SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - probablyimage but I'm trying to avoid doubles although I have to do a couple of them this year.   After that I just want to do single events.

When are you signing up to do a 10 in 10 then?

Sister BH - LOL

Umm... I was considering applying for next year. I'm just not sure that I could handle 10 days of it. I'm not as hard as the others that have done it.
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

@Weedy - I'm already looking at the Hadrian Wall ultra; thanks to you image I'm not a force of nature... just easily persuadedimage

Brill. I'm doing the two days if you fancy that. Been recce-ing the route in stages with a couple of folks who are also doing it. We've done the Carlisle to Lanercost bit and we're meeting up this Saturday to do the Lanercost to Vindolanda section.
    Here's a video I found of last year's run. Just ignore the fact it's raining. It won't be like that this year, I promise .

It's a real temptation.... but i'm just not sure of the timing/cost. I really want to do TD's trek from Bratislava to Brussels and might need to save some holiday.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

*watches video*.... Runs away and hides....

• "Not as hard as the others that have done it" - you forget, my love, that I know an awful lot of the TiT's from past years as well as this year image

Don't rule yourself out lol!!! image

• Of course, I am talking about the Brathay challenge, there is of course the new Irish 10 in 10 so other 10 in 10 events are available image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yeah, But Foxy, Kaz and Davey are all completely hardcore nutters... i consider myself a minor debutant in the makingimage

Before I even consider something like the 10in10 - I want to do a few more multi days (like the quad image) to get the experience in my legs. I'm hoping that with the triple in may and a few more - I can handle it a lot better mentally. I guess I'm a sucker for preparation and 'doing things right'. After seeing a lot of people crash and  burn - I want to make sure that I don't do that.... well at least try not to!

Talking about training in general - I need to get my ass back in the gym. I was thinking of doing an interval session on the dreadmill so that I can control the speed better - can anyone recommend any workouts?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - I'm probably going to do a couple of days of the Irish 10 in 10 so I'll let you know what it's like.   As far as I know there is no obligation to raise any money for charity whereas with Brathay, the fund raising is the toughest part, plus you may not get a place as it's heavily oversubscribed now.

• The fundraising is massively difficult for Brathay, I'm trying to help 2 of them  for this year out at the moment although my latest venture seems to be being quite well received. The other thing with the Irish one is that you *can* enter individual days - you can't do that with Brathay and they have quite an in depth selection process as they have large volumes of applications but only ever 15 or so runners - there's 16 this year.

I love the Lakes though and am heading up there for the whole thing as extra support - hence the taxi service image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - I'm probably going to do a couple of days of the Irish 10 in 10 so I'll let you know what it's like.   As far as I know there is no obligation to raise any money for charity whereas with Brathay, the fund raising is the toughest part, plus you may not get a place as it's heavily oversubscribed now.

Ooh - now this sounds attractive. No fundraising... just running?.... that's my kinda run

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ok... I need advice. Today's run was due to be 8 miles but I felt so shockingly bad I ended it at 4. Shockingly bad means no energy and feeling like every step weighed a hundred pounds. I tried some jelly babies and they were nice but didn't give me anything extra. I felt like my tank was empty and the juice that was going in wasn't helping.

For the past 2 weeks the runs have been really hard. I put this down to the snow but it could also be me in general. As you will have seen I've not only been travelling lots but also working stupid hours. Normally this doesn't affect me too much but lately I've found the exercise part the hardest to manage.

I'm in 2 minds about tomorrow's LSR. It's due to be 18 miles but I'm wondering if I try to do it is it going to do more damage long term and I should rest? If yes, then what should I do next week?

I had two thoughts: switch around my weeks and do 13 miles tomorrow and 18 next week OR do 8 tomorrow as planned and then do 13 next weekend.

Any advice would be great...
  • I've tried to avoid giving you training advice here Emmy, as I feel it's FF's role and I don't want to tread on their toes.

Having said that, and with sincere apologies to FF, don't do any running tomorrow. Nothing. Not one step. Your reaction to your run today is your body telling you it needs to take a break and it needs a rest. You'll get absolutely no training benefit from going out and doing 13 miles, 18 miles, any miles.

You will, however, get a training benefit from not running. Put your feet up and have a recovery day. And don't think of it as a 'rest' day or a 'no training' day. It's a recovery day.

And if you need to, have a recovery day on Monday as well. Then see how you feel.

Here endeth the lesson image

PS, if FF says something different, go with their advice as, technically speaking, I'm something of an idiot.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy - I'm hoping that FF will see my plea... But if he doesn't was asking for the wider advice. I know that I'm stubborn minded (I've been out to run in the snow/ice and actually enjoy it!) but I'm a little unsure.

I was half proud of myself for listening to my body today and half annoyed that I didn't "build mental strength" by completing it.

I'm babysitting tonight and wondering how mums can run.... I mean the little critters take up every their ever waking minute.... How do mums do it?! I've barely been here a few hours but am already cream crackered from running about after them!

You're not an idiot.... Although by some of my friends remarks to marathon running - you're slightly insaneimage If I didn't want advice - I wouldn't ask for it image
  • Think sometimes it takes more mental strength to know when to call it quits. Should be fully proud of yourself. image

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - In FF's absence I'm in full agreement with Weedy, you need to take a rest/recovery day.    Good food, good sleep.

I expect the Irish 10 in 10 course will be multiple laps, the race organiser is going to contact me when info available, he mistakenly thought I was going to do all 10image.

Sister BH - I'll be up on Day 9 to support the Brathay runners....another chance to see grown men cry...LOL   and then will run Windermere on Day 10.

• Cool! You'll be able to spot me Shades, chances are I'll have my bright yellow Enigma RD hoodie either on or round my waistimage make sure you say hello image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thank you Shades and Speedy. I'm taking a day off.... Although that means for hubby that we can still build an ikea unit and visit his family and do the cleaning and the ironing....Hmm... Maybe it was easier to go out runningimage

@Shades - I'll not lie - I've already had a look at the Irish 10 in 10 but there's not much info available. Do you happen to know which county it's in? I was thinking I could combine it with a family visit image

@SBH - we need to get you another hoody... You're always wearing that one image

I'm going to write up my scheduled plan for next week later on today and ask for advice about what I should do. Currently I'm only away on Monday in Frankfurt but it may increase dependent upon my day there.....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ok... As I promised this morning - here is the plan for next week:

5 easy

8 easy

5 tempo

13 long

1 gym session

What should I do instead? Keep with it?
  • Is that list Monday through Friday or is that five sessions in seven days, with the order still to be decided? Or the sessions in order with a couple of rest days to be added in between depending how things go?

I'd say see how you feel in the morning. You could drop the 5 miler if you feel like you need another recovery day. Five miles isn't going to make any great difference to your training. Or maybe set out aiming to do just a couple of miles and see what you feel like at the end of that, with the option of adding another three on the end.

Again, I'd defer to FF and take his advice over mine.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Oops.... Sorry I should have given more detail...

These are my weekly sessions. I'll try to run 5 miles tomorrow, 8miles on Wednesday (or 5)... Gym on Friday, LSR Saturday and either my 8 miler or a shorter recovery run.

Welcome to Frankfurt.... Your train is now boarding. Please do not leave luggage obstructing the doors and leave your trays in an upright position.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - it's at Sixmilebridge in County Clare, very close to Shannon airport.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tada! image I'm back!

OK. I managed 5 miles last night in 55mins. I'm not going to set the world on fire but it was nice to be out there without feeling absolutely shocking.

So - my plan is to run 5miles tomorrow, 8 miles saturday and then a LSR on sunday... but what distance? 13? or another recommendation?

@Shades - I will not confirm or deny that I've emailed the Irish 10in10 and may be taking part in a few daysimage What days are you doing?

@weedy - thank you for your email with the interval session. My plan is to give it a go this weekend/early next week.

How is everyone else getting on?

Are there no other people out there trying to do sub 4.30? 

@FF - Where should I look to be at the moment in regards to speed/pace?

• Emmy - 10in10? Where will this end? Good you're back out running anyway.

You might just be the person I need to join me on my bucket list run across Canada. It's only 5,600km or so and will begin shortly after I win the lottery. Vancouver to Prince Edward Island, via the Rockies, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal.

What's your plan in terms of long run distance each week leading to Paris? Guess that'll determine what you should be looking at this weekend. If you're ahead of schedule, 13 sounds okay, if you're behind schedule, you could maybe bump up to 15, depending what distance your last long run was.

• Dont scare them too much if you do the 10 in 10 Emmy as i'd fancy doing it myself ina diff year

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Emmy - 10in10? Where will this end? Good you're back out running anyway.

You might just be the person I need to join me on my bucket list run across Canada. It's only 5,600km or so and will begin shortly after I win the lottery. Vancouver to Prince Edward Island, via the Rockies, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal.

What's your plan in terms of long run distance each week leading to Paris? Guess that'll determine what you should be looking at this weekend. If you're ahead of schedule, 13 sounds okay, if you're behind schedule, you could maybe bump up to 15, depending what distance your last long run was.

@Weedy - it's all a fine line image Canada you say?.... that sounds interesting! Have you seen this? This is also an option for this year.

According to Shades plan - it should be 13 but as I missed last week so was thinking of adding a few miles and see how i feel?

Any thoughts?

Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

Dont scare them too much if you do the 10 in 10 Emmy as i'd fancy doing it myself ina diff year

I think my Irish heritage will hold me good stead! image I was hoping to be able to stay with some relatives but it's a little far to commute every day. The reason that I like the Irish 10in10 is the lack of fundraising. A lot of people I know really struggle with daily life and it seems everyone at the moment is fundraising for something (VLM etc).

I don't know if I can do it this year as it's close to another 'running holiday' i'm doing with some people from the Paris thread...talking of that - I still havent had my holiday confirmed.

Talking of training - I feel especially 'hardcore'. Running in the rain today... Another philosophical question for you: Why does it always rain when you're running but then stops within 5 minutes of you being indoors?

• I'd say stick with 13. If you do too much there's a risk you'll tip yourself back to where you were last weekend. Even though you've still had a couple of days rest this week, you'll still be recovering from the low point you had.

Better to get back home and feel like you could have run a couple more miles than come back home absolutely shattered and compromise the rest of next week's training.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks Weedy - i'll give it a go

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)

@Shades - I will not confirm or deny that I've emailed the Irish 10in10 and may be taking part in a few daysimage What days are you doing?

LOL Emmy

I'll probably do the first weekend of the 10 in 10, the last weekend I'm doing the marathon at Tenby.   I'm going to Ireland in a couple of weeks to do the Clonakilty Back2Back so I'll see what further information I can find out about the 10 in 10.   The chairmain of my Irish running club lives near where the 10 and 10 is going to be so I expect he'll have a bit more info.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning Shades,

The 10in10 has been opened but if you can find any info - that would be great.

A friend wants to do a quadzilla this year so was planning on 2 days of Ireland followed by another race in the UK. Or just 4days of Ireland image