mileage time ratio

Anyone know where i can find a chart which shows average weekly training milage to average race time for half marathons (10ks and full marathons would be interesting to). I know i have seen this somewhere before where a 1hr 50 half requires on average 40 miles/week training.

I know these charts/figures are rough guidelines and it depends on runner, I just find this interesting and a good motivator for me.

Cheers,

George

Comments

• Based on research, or just made up?
  • MilidhMilidh ✭✭✭
    Last one was based onrough research I believe. I think I read iit in a rw issue at some point
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A 1hr 50 half requires an average of 40miles a week?!

You've got to be kidding.

Maybe for a 50year old woman, but for a 20-30s bloke, you'd be looking well under 1hr 30s

• MilidhMilidh ✭✭✭
    Hence why I want to see a chart so I can make more accurate goals
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you'll never find any sort of chart for this, unless you go out and do some canvassing! And even then a lot of runners are prone to utter BS, and don't give the honest appraisal of what they actually put in.

Also, it depends on what they've done in the years before running.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi George

Try http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-analysis-home.php.  Click on "Average Race Mileage" and you can data-mine 60,000 Fetchies for cumulative training mileage by race times.  Just don't do it in the evening as you'll fry the server...it takes ages, so be patientimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll give you my mileages from the day I started running having not taken a yard of exercise in a decade.

13, 15, 16, 9, 18, 19, 13, 10, 16, 17, 22, 19, 27, 19, 2, 21, 2. Then a race.

Gosport Half marathon in 1:28:33

🙂

• Teknik wrote (see)

Hi George

Try http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-analysis-home.php.  Click on "Average Race Mileage" and you can data-mine 60,000 Fetchies for cumulative training mileage by race times.  Just don't do it in the evening as you'll fry the server...it takes ages, so be patientimage

Well that suggests that all my race times came from zero training mileage.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Sorry Lou: don't follow what you mean (unless there's a bug in the tool) ?
  • I enter all my race time to fetch everyone, but none of my training. Therefore, if I extract the data for me only, it indicates that I ran a 40min 10k off zero training miles. I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses fe in this way, so I suspect that the dataset is heavily biased to show reduced training miles against time.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Aaah gottit. I'll check whether the data is extracted from the training miles first, or , as you say, is corrupted...
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...a more intelligent response would have been to say "ignore the 0 to 10% bucket" (which would be populated by non-loggers) and look to do at least what the 50% and 60% decile did...image

• MilidhMilidh ✭✭✭

The averages I found are between what the 50% and 60% decile did.

This is what I found incase anyone else wants the data too.

10k time  01:00 00:55 00:50 00:45 00:40 00:35 00:30  

mile/wk 13.69 16.08 18.84 21.80 28.41 45.87 55.00

half time  02:00 01:50 01:40 01:30 01:20 01:10  

mile/wk 17.72 22.47 24.75 32.52 44.21 76.92

Marathon time  04:00 03:45 03:30 03:15 03:00 02:45 02:30  

mile/wk 19.29 32.97 36.68 40.89 47.31 50.11 74.76

This is based on average milage over 10 weeks. Comparing to what people claim times / training miles these are high mileage and also compared to my mileage for 10ks (with bad training but 50 min time I averaged 7/8 miles a week in training).

Still this gives me a target milage to aim for to achieve certain times and might be a good motivator to do a run when i don't feel like it or the weather is bad image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

well done George, that must have taken all morning to process...image

• Teknik wrote (see)

...a more intelligent response would have been to say "ignore the 0 to 10% bucket" (which would be populated by non-loggers) and look to do at least what the 50% and 60% decile did...image

My point is that the data is probably biased so as to under-report training mileage.  By how much we don't know, but it is likely that the average mileage to acheive a certain time will be somewhat higher than the reported 50%.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Lou - your point is that some people are included in the race times, but who don't log miles. If you took a mean average, your point is valid...but by looking at frequency distributions (deciles), the non-loggers are eliminated.

I do, however, share your amazement at some of those numbers - I'd love to get a GFA mara on 40.89 mpw. My mileage is double that.  Maybe I'm just old, fat and crap...image