Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Trevor - I only find it annoying if the HRM strap slides down at the back. At the front, it never usually slips. I don't find it restricts breathing but I am so used to it now. Probaby run 10,000kms with one on.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Hello Finn....are you real?  Or a mirage??? image

Finn has got to be one of the most real women in Ireland and dead sexy too image  But she probably would not like me to say that out loud!

• Thanks Dannirr for the link - can't find what it is I want though - so will have to fiddle with the watch and hope for the best.  Did have Jake the man on video stored somewhere on my laptop, but can't find that either.

Sad my chains have not arrived as we're off to the alps tomorrow, had hoped to get to grips image with them there, but not to be.  Will have to hope for some snow here when I get back - or NOT.

enjoy the weekend one and all, go careful out there. 

Did I read somewhere that we didn't have to post or email the med cert - only take it to Paris when collecting bib etc?

Cheers

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD - try wearing a bra.  That'll hold the HRM in placeimage

Onetit - yep, they're trying a new form of carnage this year, no more emailing of certificates image

• ATM could you please paste the Dreadmill Hill Torture again? I can't find t
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, wi...Sure.

Here's DV's ' Dreadmill Hills' Session..

Your running pace will be at whatever you would normally use, but allow it to be a little slower for the hard parts. Try not to adjust the pace at any time... just adjust the elevation. As the incline drops, you will really notice the difference, and by the time it drops to 2% you will feel like you are making no effort at all, and at 0% you will feel you are floating...! Go on, just give it a try. Its only 3 miles.

Before you start, make sure you are properly hydrated and have a drink with you for during the run.

Lap 1 0%
    Lap 2 2%
    Lap 3 5%
    Lap 4 8%
    Lap 5 2%
    Lap 6 5%
    Lap 7 8%
    Lap 8 10%
    Lap 9 2%
    Lap 10 5%
    Lap 11 2%
    Lap 12 0%

The build to Lap 8 is obviously the big one..  but see how you get on.  By the end, you will feel so good..

Your running pace will be at whatever you would normally use, but allow it to be a little slower for the hard parts. Try not to adjust the pace at any time... just adjust the elevation. As the incline drops, you will really notice the difference, and by the time it drops to 2% you will feel like you are making no effort at all, and at 0% you will feel you are floating...! Go on, just give it a try. Its only 3 miles.

Before you start, make sure you are properly hydrated and have a drink with you for during the run.

Lap 1 0%
    Lap 2 2%
    Lap 3 5%
    Lap 4 8%
    Lap 5 2%
    Lap 6 5%
    Lap 7 8%
    Lap 8 10%
    Lap 9 2%
    Lap 10 5%
    Lap 11 2%
    Lap 12 0%

The build to Lap 8 is obviously the big one..  but see how you get on.  By the end, you will feel so good..

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I am scheduled for 7 mile hills today but its too icy for my comfort. I guess I 'll try this hill workout instead!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Back from 20k trail.I had no idea Ayrshire was so lovely! Absolutely fantastic route along the River Ayr...pretty village , all stone -church-and-old-bridge, everywhere covered in snow, lots of tracks made by  'god-knows-what-but-definitely-a-lot-of-foxes, amazing birds including herons and buzzards out hunting, silent pine plantations, marshland,gorge and remote farms.And all to myself  image Bizarrely, there weren't crowds of people taking advantage of the chance to run in driving snow ..I'm definitely up for LSRs on this terrain. 'Could do with a shoe re-think, though..

Oh, Finn's definitely real. And soon off to Finalnd ( how cool is that?) to do something really mad....and raise dosh for Cystic Fibrosis. *RR, she's done almost 50 maras since we met..and then there's the Ultras..image Emmy, this is a woman you'd get on with..*

* sorry.'just thinking out loud..*

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Oh, Finn's definitely real. And soon off to Finalnd ( how cool is that?) to do something really mad....and raise dosh for Cystic Fibrosis. *RR, she's done almost 50 maras since we met..and then there's the Ultras..image Emmy, this is a woman you'd get on with..*

* sorry.'just thinking out loud..*

*waves to Finn*.... hello... I don't believe we've met...

Thanks for the interval session ATM - i've been looking for this as well.

• Ach, that sounds like a beautiful run there ATM.  I did an intervals session on the treadie at lunchtime, listening to Pearl Jam and watching Mr.Murray playing tennis against some long-haired bloke with purple trainers on.  Mostly I was trying to take my mind off the intervals.

5x1km at 3:45m/km pace. Hamstrings and groin feel battered now.  Rest day tmrw I reckon.

Good luck to all you long runners this weekend.  Could be an awful lot of fun in the snow.  Maybe don't count miles run, but the amount of time you are running for.

• 13 miles planned early tomorrow. We will see what happens.

• I've got 15 planned for tomorrow, wish it would snow buckets now and I can open a beer up tonight
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Good running ATM & TD.

I'm going to try a short run tomorrow now this cold is finally clearing. Doing a longer run on Sunday with ATM. 

• I have just resigned from present job!!!image

That sounds lovely ATM. Well done.

TD -3.45..........bloody hell.........

Yes good luck to all runners tomorrow. I must admit I am jealous!! I will only be walking again tomorrow. It was beautiful here this afternoon, so the pouch and me did another 5 mile walk. I took the very scenic route to meet the girls from school! I have only walked 11 miles today........ no doubt I will suffer later!!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Great news on the job front. image

I love how your idea of rest and recuperation is 11 miles of walking!

• I was told last week to do 'active recovery', doc said I could walk but no running?!?!?image

• Kaz image. TD - battered groin and hamstrings? Sounds like something you'd find in a Scottish chip shop.

For the treadmill hill session - is 'laps' referring to 400m laps?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    16 miles for me tomorrow...with 12 of them at MP...have emergency services on speed dial...!
  • Hi everyone.

13 miles planned for me tomorrow. There's still a lot of ice on the pavements and the roads so I think I'll be sticking to the treadmill once more. 

I've just been able to sort out my timetable (I'm a medical student, and I start A&E the week before Paris which requires weekends). I'll be finishing 3 night shifts on the Friday morning before the marathon- not ideal but it was the only way to get the weekend off! Flights are now booked which is really exciting! 

• Picked up this old post - you are an astute man Weedy!

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    /members/images/727962/Gallery/Swiss-Toni-007.jpg

Swiss Tony says thinking about cognitive biases in the Belgian Ardennes is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman

• In The Long Run brochures sent out top those who I wrote down as being interested. If you don't receive anything and thought you should have, just send me a PM. Cheers. image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yes, 400 m, RR.

Swiss Tony is a wonderful creation....

• megs11 wrote (see)

Hi everyone.

13 miles planned for me tomorrow. There's still a lot of ice on the pavements and the roads so I think I'll be sticking to the treadmill once more. 

I've just been able to sort out my timetable (I'm a medical student, and I start A&E the week before Paris which requires weekends). I'll be finishing 3 night shifts on the Friday morning before the marathon- not ideal but it was the only way to get the weekend off! Flights are now booked which is really exciting! 

Megs - no problem, plenty of time to recover after Thursday night... 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Megs - whats A&E?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Accident and Emergency.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Thanks Eggy. That's usually a tough but fun rotation. 

• Dannirr..  The NHS is truly superb and the doctors and nurses do an amazing job, often under very stressful conditions.  However, it is absolutely true to say that it is exploited by a certain sector of society and this places it under pressure that has an impact across the financial resources of the whole system.   There are some people who come to the UK purely to use our free medical services, women have been known to come here just to have a baby (whether or medical excuses or just so that the child can claim a UK passport) and the A&E is put under pressure because of abuse by people demanding medical attentio for what are, quite frankly, minor and routine cases.

In September 2011, following my injury during the A2A I had the further misfortune to have to spend 3 hours in a waiting room at my local A&E.  It is a brand new state-of-the-art hospital that had only been open two weeks at that time.   

Children are always seen first, regardless of who else is waiting.  Obviously genuine emergencies and those brought in by ambulance are also seen first.   Everyone else sees the triage nurse and you wait your turn.

During that three hour wait, I saw so many people who were quite simply time-wasters.  Attention seekers.  One mother brought her child with a paper cut on her finger.  Totally ridiculous.  

It really annoys me that this amazing resource is abused by those outside of the UK who exploit the generosity of the system and also by those within the UK who should take more personal responsibility for their actions (people gettting drunk and getting into fights etc.), seeking medical attention for what really are mundane grazes and cuts and those who seem unable to be able to judge what actually is something that needs hospital treatment.

End of my rant....  

• Excellent rant DV.

Clear, crisp day here so I'll be heading out shortly. Not sure how far I'll run. I'm taking water and gels and intend to run between 10 and 20 miles depending on how I feel. And taking a route I haven't run before. Just fancy something different...

And we'll done and good luck to Andy Murray.
  • I don't want to go out, I just don't want to image  

I shall hush my winey Scottish mouth and move - snow forecast - and didn't arrive = no excuseimage

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Aude, get up early tomorrow and get the train to Glasgow. Meet us at Queen Street and come for an amble? Think of it as a day out...image

Lovely day, here, too Simon. I'm off to the new  stadium/velodrome to watch the athletics meet'.I've never seen live athletics and can't wait to see a bit of real sprinting.

Question: Trail shoes. Are they really different? I'm tempted to experiement with cheap ones...I like the MoreMile leggings etc...but would that just be a waste of money?

• ATM wrote (see)

Question: Trail shoes. Are they really different? I'm tempted to experiement with cheap ones...I like the MoreMile leggings etc...but would that just be a waste of money?

Yes..  a trail shoe has a totally different tread pattern.  They are designed to assist your grip..   they also tend to be a lower drop, more of a minimalist design.   I would say they are essential for off-road running.