Saturday 26th January 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Even when you don't see me

Feeling slightly more my usual self, think the rest day was needed. You're right Blisters, going from autumn marathon to spring marathon to IM doesn't leave a lot of down time - but I find it difficult not to 'do' whether I have an event or not. The weather is frustrating as it's making doing the things I enjoy more of a chore.

Hope your back isn't too bad NZC - any races on the horizon?

SC - echo Blister's recommendation of Abingdon.

Another inch or so of snow overnight will, I think, have left it deadly out there, not really enough to give grip on the heavily compacted stuff that was left but we're forecast positive temperatures for the next few days and I have no work on Monday so I'm going to head to the gym today and run on the treadie and hope that it's clear for a run outside on Monday.

What:             treadie run
Why:              adapt and overcome
Last hard:       last year
Last rest:        25/1

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

I had my lyrics already to go, LMH,  then the computer wouldn't play ball, so have had to re-write my post.

Yesterday's lyrics were, "Forever in Blue Jeans", Neil Diamond. Unfortunately I am not in blue jeans at the moment as I can't get into them. Now there's a target.

What: I hope to run at some stage but as for LMH the underfoot conditions do not look good
    Why: taking no risks, especially as I didn't do anything in the end yesterday as I managed to hurt my ankle yesterday when do the exercises...lack of concentration and landed badly. Fine today though, but shows how careful I need to be.

Lyrics: no (and what would yours have been yesterday, LMH?)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Yesterday mine were Song for Whoever by The Beautiful South Alehouse. Hope your ankle is ok.

• Yesterday - actually I knew LMHs lyrics, but not alehouse's.  And not today.

welcome back Wabo. your holiday sounds very interesting! glad you got a bit of beach running done. lovely photo.

Sorry to hear about your fall LMH.

yesterday: rest day 
    why: work just overwhelmed me during the day, then in the evening I went to the Capital Classic track meet.  it was the official reopening of the Wellington track with its news lovely surface, and also the NZ 3000m championships.  Nick Willis (1500m olympic runner) won it but was a close, tightly packed race.

today: lunchtime I went to the track did a coupe of km warm up then sprint starts (learning to use blocks).  one of the kids coaches had offered to teach me after the morning kids athletics finished.  lots and lots of fun. but didn't get to sprint more than about 40m.  then early evening my partner offered to pace a tempo run for me so we did that.  couple of km warm up then 8km in 35:14. pretty happy with that.  
    why: its what was on offer.

then made chicken parmesan, courgette and lemon couscous and salad for tea.  yummm. now going to have a (non-alcoholic) beer and watch CSI.

• BTW the last 5k of that tempo was only 9 seconds slower than tuesday's 5k race.  something was clearly wrong on tuesday.  whatever it is/was i hope it goes away and stays away!

• Hopefully the rest will have sorted whatever it ws M.

• Morning

Both dogs walked. Cold when out

Going to indoor athletics later. Looking forward to it. Miss B very excited about it

Coffee and catch up time.

STRETCH for anybody needing a reminder...

• Birks: did you not watch my warning about stretching? Can be quite dangerous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Okw4xQwgg

That's not me in the video, by the way!

Enjoy the indoors!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ale: Brilliant footage mateimage

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello.

What: a walk to a cafe for coffe and pastry and to check the pavement quality and calf quality.  Then if they are deemed good will do a 9 km run consisting of loops around my house incase the calf gets bad in the conditions again.
    Why: For once, being sensible
    Lyrics: nope

Ale be careful with your ankle. Loved the video!
    LMH glad you are feeling a bit better
    Birk how much longer do you have the guest dog for?

Have a good one all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all, 
    LmH - glad the tumble was nothing serious
    birks - enjoy the indoors, I think its on TV later?
    Abingdon - hmmm, did it a few years ago, granted its good for pacing , targetting a time and so on, but not really an inspiring course. Having done spring, summer and autumn marathons, I have to admit to liking the autumn ones least. I actually don't mind the long runs in the cold (not that the South gets too bad anyway)
    what - 15 miles d&d ...was out at 6:30 as youngest had 2hrs swimming. Was surprisingly mild (+4c) although legs started to feel it the last 2 or 3.
    why - window presented itself and not done a long run for 2 weeks
    last hard - digging in this morning
    last rest - 8 days

lyric - dont think I do

have a super weekend everyone 

• Hope the calf and pavements are ok emzap - we're having a massive thaw here, very quickly, in fact they're now predicting flooding but it should be ok for a run outside on Monday hopefully though it's forecast to be windy.

That is the most fun I've had on a treadmill for a while - 16k run including 2 x 5 mins at 13.2kph and 3 x 5 mins at 13.3 kmh - all off 5 min recovery. Hamstring was making its presence felt after that though so just finished off easy. In more good news my new hybrid bike is ready to collect so if the rain stops in time tomorrow I may be able to take that out for a spin.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Ohhh LMH new toys!

Pavements still aren't great.  Calf felt ok when walking though, so I'm going to give it today off and do my 9kmer tomorrow.  No thaw here as yet, but meant to reach 0C tomorrow (when I said to my OH it wasn't too cold today and it was -5, shows how 0C is going to be welcome!).

• What: swim (2°C water - a new PB for me!) followed by 18 miles
    No snow - it's all gone in the sea! but windy and hail showers
    Why: something to do with a marathon in March
    Last Hard: definitely today
    Last rest: yesterday

AH literally LOL at video!

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

6 miles snowy cross country running in about an hour. tough going but fun!

• Dustin - nice long run there.

Little Miss Happy - that's a big session on a treadmill!

I have nothing planned at the moment, I'm having motivation issues. Will probably run Rotorua again - end of April/beginning of May?

M. - must have been good to see Nick Willis run. Are you going to enter some sprint races?

What: 10km with Mae. Boys away so need to run with the dog.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Alehouse neat viseo funnily saw it on FB yesterday

Dustin a good long one there

Didn't run yesterday a combination of  feeling the previous days run and not a good nights sleep

What:6.42 miles on the bike
    Why: roads  cycleable now  (well the cycle paths)
    Last Hard: sometime in the distant past
    Lytics No

• Evening

emzap: He either goes home tonighght or tomorrow morning. Depending on when our neighbours get back from Spain.

Great afternoons athletics had by MissB and I. She met Lynsey Sharp and got her pic taken with her. Bernard Lagat was superb in mens 3000m, we saw a mens good High Jump and womens pole vault and at the end a cracking Mens 60m and 600m

NZC: Good to hear Nick Willis is getting back into form.  I thought he could have got the  Gold medal in 2012 Olympics.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

evening all

lyrics no I dont think so

hi pammie, good to rest up sometimes, hope you feel rested

donaldo sounds nice!

hi nzc, sounds a nice run too

oh wow, thats a lot you did today!

lmh well done on  the treadmill, amazing.  Hope the bike is good!

dustin nice one on lsr, it was a good day for it

lmh sorry to hear you had a fall hope you are ok

what 10 miles in 1.35 50, good run pace maintained, I so so enjoyed it!

why marathon training

last hard: that was

last easy: yesterday

have a lovely saturday evening

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Good run Wabo!

Pammie - I thought the video that Alehouse put on here was so funny that I shared it on facebook.

• NZC - I'm going to try the 100m and maybe 400m at next weeks Newtown Park programme. Rotorua sounds like good idea. I thik we'll miss it this year but of course will be there next year for the 50th anniversary. nice run.

Nick seemed on reasonable form, although its his off season at the moment, and I assume he's just here on holiday.  He's going to be a dad in June.

nice early run there Dustin - I find it so hard at that time of the morning. even though I don't mind actually getting up. I have heaps of respect for people who do early runs.

LMH - good treadie run. 16k is amazing for treadmill running.  do you watch something when you are doing that?

good running Wabo and OH (plus 2C swim!) and good cycling Pammie

• T WO  D E G R E E S ?

Other Half, you are seriously deranged. If I recall correctly, that is the sort of temperature maintained in the North Atlantic, and they give sailors approximately 4 minutes life expectancy if they fall overboard.

-----------------------------------------

No training for me. Collecting Brownie Points. The sun appeared, and I saw how bad the windows were, so decided they needed to be cleaned. Ditto the cars. And bike. Made the pasta for tea: it's very therapeutic, but not exactly a cost saving exercise. Maybe an hour or two, and at the end a dish was served which got demolished in two minutes flat. Ironically, I find that extremely pleasing.

Tomorrow, Sunday, more swimming. I'm looking forward to that.