Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• So, I still call it Casualty. A&E still common parlance. Was corrected at work yesterday - it's now the ED (Emergency Department) apparently!

DV - across the country there is unfortunately widespread misuse of NHS emergency services. Some is the fault of primary care (GP services), mainly it's funding, some behavioural - whatever, it's a major budgetary drain on the NHS.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks , DV. The green light for more shoes is always a good thing.... * psst...Where's your new running site? *

I do remember a period....small boys jumping out of trees, cycling over sheer drops, 'being Superman and flying'.... when I spent a lot of time in Casualty..I think we were heading for a social work dept visit when the boys suddenly got, a bit, more sense..

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good rant DV. I agree - although the times I've had to use A&E it's been absolutely fantastic and thankfully not too much of a wait (an hour max).

Thanks to hubby truly and utterly fecking up my day plans - I've got to move my runs around. A shorter run today (8 miles) followed by my LSR tomorrow.

It doesn't make it better that its snowing outside image
  • What a beautiful morning!  Time for one last long snow run before the thaw (and the constant weather news changes to focussing on flooding) ... another outing for the awsome Brooks gortex.... 17 miles todayimage

• I have a twingy groin thanks to the intervals yesterday, so I'm clearly in need of a rest day. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that so in a strange way, am quite pleased. Bit of snow down here too Emmy but not bad yet.

Within a week, I reckon I can do some running wearing shorts again. We're almost 20% of the way towards the summer solstice too. Happy days and better to come.

ATM. I have good things to report about my Inov8 trail shoes. Salomon are very popular over here but pricey I reckon. MrsTD managed to pick up a bargain pair of Adidas Kanadia trail shoes that are perfect for the job. She got them from one of those big UK high street sport retailers that sell sweat pants to big people for a cut down price, and in a choice of colours. Lovely day to you all, especially you marvellous medical types.
  • ATM- I love my trail shoes, I think they are far better than my road ones so tend to use them most of the timeimage I too have the Adidas Kanadia, and two pairs of Nike Pegasus Trail( I use the road version of these also).

TD - Take it easy.

I too am sore today. image The extra lunges, squats etc with extra weights yesterday seem to have done the trick. My butt is even sore to sit, and don't mention my arms!!  Next to nothing getting done today apart from the normal dog walks which will be shorter than the last few days.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Mr Maj was trying to tell me he had a "twingy groin" this morning too. I callously ignored him, put on my running shoes and told him to self medicate....
  • ATM wrote (see)

Thanks , DV. The green light for more shoes is always a good thing.... * psst...Where's your new running site? *

I've been so busy for the last few weeks and the web site hasn't progressed...  it's a month behind schedule and that's my fault...  I did talk to the developers this week and I'm hoping I can get back to it next week...

I haven't run for several weeks either...  I might have another go at the London run later now that the weather has cleared up here...  it'll be a spontaneous 'lets do it' kind of decision...  I'll see how the day progresses....

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Mr Maj was trying to tell me he had a "twingy groin" this morning too. I callously ignored him, put on my running shoes and told him to self medicate....

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a very long time image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV - our ED's (as they are called) are also terribly misused with the same sort of things - it ties them up from doing the important stuff.  I can remember asking a man why he brough this son in to the ED at 3 am for a sore wrist the kid had had for over a  week - the answer was "because the light was on"!  Every single day I see families who freely admit they ae in the US simply to have their baby - and these are not low income illegals, they are wealthy families from several mid-east countries, India, Pakistan etc - they all pay their bills in cash, so the hospital welcomes them.

• Hi everyone, new to this group but enjoyed several of the past "discussions" - have a few marathons behind me including the latest where I fainted a few kms before the finish line. After several tests and hospital visits it has been ruled out that the accident had anything to do with my heart, so it is back out there and setting a new goalimage Paris has always been on the "to do list" but also looking at others - amazed by the amount of marathons out there now and working on a hobby project of rating these runs based on more than whether it is a fast course. Snowing outside like it is where a lot of you are but that will only make this afternoon's run prettier

• 'Self medicate'. Love it!

Did 20 miles in beautiful conditions. Slippy underfoot in the shade, but I managed to stay on my feet. Ran to a target HR reserve, as opposed to pace, for the first time. Aimed for 65 - 70%. Averaged 68% and it gave me an average pace of 5:28, which is MP+10%. With 10 weeks to go I am very happy with that. I'm very much 'on-plan'. If I hade one...

Anyone else running today?

• Hi Kris - good to hear you've 'de-lurked' and come to join the fun. Hopefully your Paris experience will be better than your last one.

Another one here for Adidas Kanadias. They are very comfortable, and light. I wore them recently for the first time in a while, and they made a massive difference in heavy mud when other people were slithering all over the place.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Welcome Kris - you're gonna have fun here!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hello Kris image

I did 16 miles with 12 of 'em at marathon pace and by 'eck it was hard work to hold that pace...really hard work image

I know it was meant to hurt but right now I'm thinking I'm never going to be able to hold that for another 23km...image

• Your an inspiration YM  - when I don't feel like going for my weekend run I check RW and you usually are out already!

ATM: you are such a sweetie, I would love to come to Glasgow for a wee outing, love the place - I once cycled round all the parks and that was good fun image

TD: 20% that's the most motivational thing I have heard all month - I am taking that with me very run I do for the next week - thank you kind sir x

after all my moaning It was a lovely day out there, got lost and ended up at Craigmillar Castle (3 miles east of where I should have been), I stopped to ask a lady with her dog how to get back to the road, I said ' I'm a bit lost, I didn't expect to be here' to which she replied ' that sometimes happens but your here now', who would have thought that Yoda came from Craigmllar, one of the roughest areas of Edinburgh  image

• At the opposite end of the running scale.  I managed 3.5 kms today with no breakage.  YAY!

hee hee hee, self medication.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    No running for me today. Gotta attend a whole day Balloon Safety Seminar. Hope its interesting. Have a great weekend everyone
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kris - hiya image

YM - self medicate PMSL image

Itching to get out running but I'm not going to be stupid (again) and go too soon. Fingers crossed for next Friday
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Oh forgot to say. Went to a wedding on Thursday and ended up chatting to a man who has lost count of the number of marathons he had done.

He's done Comrades both ways in consecutive years and described it as like someone stabbing you with pins for 10 hours.

Got some funny looks when I wouldn't dance to the Ceilidh band - I'm a runner, I can't afford another injury image

Great day though.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My osteo says runners should never be allowed to dance - it seems to do strange things to our equilibrium...

• I'll use any excuse not to dance.

Well done RS - it's progress.

YM - I did 13 miles at MP last weekend and found it really tough. The thought of having to do twice that distance, at that pace, is a bit scary. But 10 weeks to go, so plenty of time ...?
  • Self- medication...    superb!   that will go down in Paris Thread Legend....  along with the stool chart, knitted uterus and many other classic tales...  image

Dancing,..?   hells bells..  I'm the world's worst dancer...  Mrs DV has actually banned me from any further dancing if the opportunity arises because apparently I am so embarrassing....!    Harsh judgement, but sadly true......  image

Right now I'm at the swimming pool with my children...  they are swimming, I'm doing the parent thing and watching...  there are 8 lifeguards in sight and they must all be under 20 years old...   good grief where have the years gone....?

I doubt I'll run tonight....  the sun is shining here and the snow is melting, but I drove up one of the two hills over the North Downs and it is still icy...   no streetlights, dual-carriageway roads and no path etc....   will leave it until its safer.....   am itching to do that run though...

• Welcome Kris..  image

RS...  its a start...  gently does it...  well done.

TD..   you worry me....   

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I love dancing,  Really love it image  I'll strut my stuff at the drop of a chapeau...

Just explained the self medicating thing to Mr Maj.  He's feeling all warm & fuzzy as a result.  Warm & fuzzy enough to carry me to the engagement party we have to attend tonight, I hope, as I am currently lying on the sofa with the Attend Bell....

Nice one RS - it's always a bonus when nothing falls off.  

Just had a soak in the bath and remembered that 5 weeks go I had to do a 16 mile run with 8 of them at MP - and I barely hit pace for a single km...I was just cranking back up after injury and it was impossible then.  Doesn't change the hurtiness of today though...

• Keep the faith Yer_Maj. MP isn't supposed to be easy to hold at this stage. Your training will give you sufficient stress that you'll adapt to it.

Well done RS. Nothing broken is good. Welcome aboard Kris.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sounds like some good running has been done this weekend. I wimped out mine today to try and shift the last straggles of this cold. Tomorrow will be my first run in a week. Chances of collapsing into the canal better than average!

• Please help, fruit-based people image.

I've just got an iPad mini, which is very nice and connects to my wifi, and I have all the  iTunes stuff on it which has synced no problem. But it's refusing to sync my contacts, calendars, notes etc from my phone. I've installed iOS 6, I've switched all the right things to 'on' in the iCloud settings on the phone and the iPad, but no joy. I confess I don't really understand how iCloud works image. Any suggestions? I'm fast reaching the end of my tether. 

• Hi Kris

Swiss Tony will be along shortly to discuss his thoughts on self-medication.

Been running along part of Hadrian's Wall today - v historical.