P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Nice running everyone..looks as if the weather is a bit kinder today.

Beautiful day here in sunny Devon, lots of rain overnight though and more to come later.

20 miles done and dusted..2 hours 57..16 with club then 4 on my own I managed to pick the pace up from 9s average with club to do the last 4 a bit progressive .9.06...8.52..8.45..8.38..

NP hope you took your credit card..image

• No run for me today... image Slight discomfort in left achilles tendon, so I'm being sensible and resting it. Went to a pilates class though and I think all the stretching helped a bit.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sensible Literatin, all too often people run through pain and then get a proper injury.

• Still a bit wet and windy here in South Wales. 5 mile recovery run done at 8.20 pace! my slowest for a long time, but I really didn't feel like going any quicker at any stage. Hoping for a break in the weather for tomorrows 16 miler.

Enjoy the Long runs tomorrow everyone.

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Strong finish there to your long run NN. Are you working tonight?

NP a mileage machine there, how many will it be for this week?

Just 5 recovery for me too Chris and sopping wet feet from snow/slush combo. Hope it clears for tomorrows 20 which i'm going to try and do early doors so I can be back for the Murray final.

Hope the achilles behaves itself Lit, best to rest it and remember plenty of weeks left.

• Markf wrote (see)

Strong finish there to your long run NN. Are you working tonight?

NP a mileage machine there, how many will it be for this week?

Just 5 recovery for me too Chris and sopping wet feet from snow/slush combo. Hope it clears for tomorrows 20 which i'm going to try and do early doors so I can be back for the Murray final.

Hope the achilles behaves itself Lit, best to rest it and remember plenty of weeks left.

Doesn't the tennis start at about 8.15am? What time you heading out at?

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Going to set the alarm for 5.15 Ziggy image 

The other advantage of going that time is being able to run on roads which are clear of snow/slush unlike the pavements.

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Wow! 5.15am is impressive. Be careful on the roads in the dark though!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Mark - sleep in. Murray will lose. You heard it here first.

• Markf wrote (see)

Going to set the alarm for 5.15 Ziggy image 

The other advantage of going that time is being able to run on roads which are clear of snow/slush unlike the pavements.

As Go Caz says Wow!

I've been really enjoying my weekend runs as they are the only ones I get to do in daylight. 5.15 on a Sunday seems a bit harsh!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN great long run miles in that VLM bank and nice pace on your image

Literatin lots of stretching will help.

Well done Chris enjoy your long run tomorrow.

Markf just short of 80 miles this week tomorrow's long run starts my new week, 22 miles easy tomorrow image

Tennis should be starting as I step out the doorimage
  • Hi all, I have well and truly fallen off the P&D bandwagon. I am on steroids and antibiotics for my asthma and have had to stop running past few days as I was bordering on exhausting myself.  I have had to have rethink re plan and am dithering about just restarting the sub 55 12 week plan (I have BAGS of endurance in the bank so is not a bad idea) and once this virus is totally out my system, I can start it afresh.  I have to be realistic, I have 3 young children.  I don't want to be a slave to getting a "decent" marathon time to the detriment of them and my health.  4 times a week training is enough for me. I am not aiming to be Paula Radcliffe and just managing to do the marathon itself and PBing should be enough.  I have the rest of my life to go for a brilliant time.  image

Literatin, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not run on a niggly achilles tendon.  I have a friend, similar paced runner to you (did Abingdon 2011 in 3:15) and has been benched for months with achilles tendonitis and is devastated as she is due to run Boston. 

Everyone else, sorry for mememe post, I will catch up and hopefully, be back in the game very soon.

• 15West wrote (see)

Mark - sleep in. Murray will lose. You heard it here first.

I hope so ..cant stand him..sorry Murray fans

Literatin take care. sensible decision there is still bags of time to get the LSRS in

HeOw oh flip what a shame you look after yourself hun..

No work tonight but I did have to do an afternoon shift after my run, I was buzzing when I went in but started to come down about 5 pm but not feeling too bad at all really..

I shall be enjoying a nice lie in tomorrow have fun you early risers  I hope the weather is kind and I look forward to reading the posts tomorrow night

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    HeOw - that sounds rough. Take it easy.
  • He-Ow - really sorry to hear that & it certainly puts my slight achilles niggle into perspective (though don't worry as I'm being super-cautious). Starting the 12-week plan when you're ready sounds like a good idea.

I too will be enjoying a nice lie-in tomorrow -- there's got to be at least one advantage to an enforced rest! image

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    HeOw - Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Doing the 12 wk schedule sounds like a sensible plan and with all the training you've done so far, I'm sure you can do a really good time in the marathon. Actually, the mileage on the up to 55 schedule is not shabby. It is quite a bit more than you will find in many plans such as the RW ones. I know I am running more miles than I usually would be at this stage in training.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Heow image - hope you get well soon and can work out a schedule that is more manageable.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - agree with all above. All the schedules have the same key workouts - adding more mileage doesn't necessarily mean a better time anyway, infact can just lead to exhaustion! I think you've made the right decision, I was also very undecided whether to run the 55 per week one this time round as last time just felt totally knackered all the time. So, hope you recover well, and hope you can come on here more regularly with your usual banter...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just going out for a 16 mile run...might not wear gloves! Woohoo!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    HeOw we are still a long way out rest and then run what you can a girl I work with did the Dublin marathon in 3:47 with me off the back of 45 miles a week and like you she has asthma, and she took a number of walking breaks so she could use her inhaler so don't totally right yourself off just yet.

15West hope you enjoy your 16.

Hope everyone enjoys there lie in image

A little windy here but about to set off on my 22. image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just back from a very muddy 16 miles.

Murray to win! You heard it here first.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

hmmm...maybe not...

• (((HeOw))) - I can so relate being asthmatic myself. The cold is a killer. I had to abandon my spring marathon campaign 2011 because of it and did an autumn one instead. I really really hope you bounce back quickly but if you are still struggling then forget about VLM and do something else later in the year.

Literatin: hope your achilles mends soon. Good call to rest it.

Was supposed to have a 10k race today but it was cancelled. Lots more snow, followed by rain turning everything into a treacherous ice rink out there image. Managed 17.5 slow offroad miles with my Yaktrax instead. So the 17 with 8 @ MP will have to wait till next week. My plan was to get to the race early, run 8 miles, then the 10k and a bit at MP and cool down.Shame. I find MP surrounded by other people a lot more mangeable than on me own image

On a positive note: just completed my first 60 mile week image

• Thanks everyone for kind words, it's not too bad, I guess I've underestimated my asthma and price I would pay when weather was very bad. I feel ok but when I'm out, it's hell and a normal easy run was feeling very hard. I feel pretty much 100% today, bar the cough lingering a bit, so I shall go out later with aim to run long and just see how I feel.

Literatin - how is Achilles today? Wise move resting it, it's a bugger of an injury to shift if ignored and it turns into tendonitis or a rupture. Am I right that I read this will be your first marathon?

15W - I think if I am far better to be realistic and aim to get in 12 weeks of 40-60 mile weeks (will tweak plan to add little bit more as it's a bit too easy for me) rather than overtrain and try too much. Well done on run, you never seem to miss a run!

Chickadee - well done on 60 miles! I was surprised when I hit 58 how good I felt, all the slow miles are the key. What time you aiming for?
  • HeOw - weather seems to be improving at last so hopefully that'll help with the asthma too.

Achilles feels a bit better today, though still not quite right -- felt normal when I got up and just a tiny bit niggly now though not painful. I'm skipping today's run too and tomorrow would have been a rest day anyway, so I'll see how I feel on Tuesday and whether I can ease myself back into the programme, but maybe leave out the LT run next week. Have just been massaging the tendon and calf muscle with soap in the bath, and feel pretty good now! Also had already arranged a sports massage for Thursday, so that should help. I'm being careful but am cautiously optimistic as it isn't (and never has been) swollen or actually painful, just uncomfortable/delicate-feeling.

And yes, it will be my first marathon -- so I guess it's also my first opportunity to see what the extra mileage and training does to my body! I've only done halfs (halves?) up till now.

And lots of good running going on on this thread as usual... sorry about your race Chickadee but hopefully the ice will be gone next week for your MP run.

• Started a  new contract last week which, along with the weather messed up my training a bit.  Had to do two 15 milers back to back to make up for missing Friday's ten mile run.

• Literatin - glad it seems to be subsiding. What will you do if it gets aggravated again? Look at reducing mileage?

Surrey - 2 back to back 15 milers are great strengthening runs.
  • Hmm. Not sure, would probably pull out of the Tunbridge Wells half on 24 Feb for a start. I do want to do well in VLM but if I end up reducing mileage as you suggest and don't hit my target, I still qualify to have another go next year. So I'd probably train less intensively, do the marathon anyway avoiding injury, and then do it again but faster in 2014.

• HeOw- sorry to hear about the asthma problems, I'm asthmatic too so I can empathise with how you are feeling. Just before my first marathon I had a bad bout of it but the steroids cleared it up really quick.

I'm sure you'll be ok.

Like a few people have said you can still run a great marathon without exhausting yourself in training.

Literatin - hope the achilles is ok, sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking it easy.

Well done everyone else on the running this weekend!

I woke up this morning to find all the snow and ice had virtually gone so I managed to do the LR @ marathon pace.

I did 18 in total in 2.13, I was hitting 6.50s for most of the 10miles @ mp and managed to run the last couple of miles in 6.30, it feels like all this training is definitely paying off.

I think I'll be on a high all day now!
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

15West did Murry win? well done on your muddy 16 milesimage

Chick sounds like the conditions near you have not improved but well done on the 60 mile weekimage.

HeOw hope the run went ok.

Lit enjoy your rest day and keep stretching.

Surry well done on the two back to back 15 mile runs.image

Mark great long run nice when you hit the pace you want and can keep close to it well doneimage

Well got up to the sound of the windimage I made a mistake last week or the week before and ran with it at my back for the first half of my long run this week however I ran into it for the first 11 miles this week before turning back for home. I also put in some miles at marathon pace all be it wind assistedimage. Splits:8:13, 7:56, 8:07, 8:00, 7:37, 8:05, 7:48, 7:52, 7:49, 7:35, 7:49, 7:48, 7:46, 6:55, 6:41, 6:47, 6:41, 7:03, 7:27, 6:58, 8:13, 8:35, 1:24 So 22.17 miles in the VLM bankimage and my legs are ready to go againimage