How to carry watter whilst running?

I have only been running for the last 2 months but have recently found myself running a long run each week of around 20km. Last week I ran this carrying an inov8 bum bag  but it rode up from my waste and just jumped around. I ended up wearing it bandolier style across my chest but that still wasn't very comofortable.

I'm basically looking for a way to carry around a 1 litre water bottle or a bladder pack for runs of the aforementioned distance. Do the smaller running backpacks move around as wildly as I imagine they will? I get a bit dizzy by the end of 12 miles if I don't drink anything! :S

Thanks, Ben.

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    For 12 miles a 500 ml sports bottle or running bottle should suffice.
  • the small camelbacks do not move at all and most have a chest strap to stop the bottom bouncing, but in this weather you shoulndt need any water at all over that distance, better to hydrate properly before you leave, 

• Is it a proper water bottle belt Ben? I use one of these...

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/14/10/ee00fe35-9eb1-443a-aa54-401a91c2940c.Medium.jpg

and there are several variations of this design

Some have 3 or 4 smaller bottles but you should be able to find something that doesn't jump around.

I have a Camelbak for longer runs, but all the straps and drawstrings get a bit annoying.  but you can get simple fuss free bladder sacks too.

• I don't "need" water over these distances either, but I like to swill my mouth out and I feel better afterwards if I've taken water on board.

• Hmm lots of replies, thanks everyone!

Interesting point about whether or not I should even bother carrying any. I will certainly try hydrating myself (?) better before heading out later this week.

Mr Puffy: It's not so much a bottle belt but a bladder pack waist pack (http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-RacePro-4.html?L=26). I use it with their horizontal bladder pack in it.

I think I'll try not taking anything and taking a 500ml bottle with a nuun in over the next few runs and see how they work out. If either of those do the trick then YAY for not spending more money on gear!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Have you tried handheld bottles?  I use them on short runs. If you're new to running don't compromise on hydration.  Runaid "doughnut" shaped ones are cheap and come in several sizes.  Or you can get bottles that fit in a holder with a strap for running with in your hand.  Ultra runners use these a lot.

For longer runs I use a belt with small bottles - Nathan do good ones.  Fuelbelt ones aren't any good now - they used to be excellent.  

And on the longest runs I take a small running rucksack with a 2-litre bladder. You can stop the water jostling about by turning it upside down once you've filled it and using the tube suck all the air out.

I've never got on with waist pouches our belts with large bottles.  I can't stand things bouncing about when I run.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

If you're training for the Badwater ultramarathon, self supported, you'll need to practise running pulling a cart with 100 litres of water on it.

• for me, anything is preferable to hand-held bottle. I have a 2 bottle Nathan belt, which actually proved a disaster in half-mara when I lost one bottle in the first 200 meters (yes - I haven't practiced properly) but even so it works better on waist than on hip. Also depends what you're wearing - some shiny lycra things are the worst for making things run up and jump around. 

small OMM backpack is great - very secure and comfortable to keep a bootle in, though getting it out is more tricky than out of a belt etc. 

• I use a Camelbak quick grip 610ml bottle, sometimes one in each hand. It's the normal by US ultra running standards but doesn't appear to have been adopted over here. Quite handy as you can monitor your intake.

With the bum bag, do you tighten it as you drink? I only ask as the occupied volume will change as you drink from the reservoir.
  • Ultimate Direction signature series are good. The A.K is a good choice for water held on the front chest in two bottles and pockets for gels, keys, phone etc for when you run longer.

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/c-signature-series.aspx

Ultramarathonrunningstore.com are the UK online dealers.

Hope this helps

• I have a  5-litre backpack from Mizuno with a 1-litre bladder; that plus a 500-mL handheld took me up to 50K. Now I'm training for longer distances I've graduated to a larger pack which takes a 2-litre bladder.

Decent running backpacks with a waist strap and chest strap, or vest-style stay in place well.

• T Rex wrote (see)

If you're training for the Badwater ultramarathon, self supported, you'll need to practise running pulling a cart with 100 litres of water on it.

Uphill, for a fair chunk of the route, too.

• T Rex wrote (see)

And on the longest runs I take a small running rucksack with a 2-litre bladder. You can stop the water jostling about by turning it upside down once you've filled it and using the tube suck all the air out.

That's a useful idea, will try that next time I use mine as it I always feel a bit self conscious at the start of a run when I can hear water sloshing around.

• I use an omm 6l waist bag, pulled nice and tight works great I can fit 3 50l hand bottles in it. iPhone, jelly babies in an open pocket etc... Bags of roomimage
  • 50l water bottles eh? Those must be the ones that you have to use with the dehydrated water tablets otherwise they'd be a bit heavy to carry.
  • 500ml silly typoimage
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Its all down to personal choice. There are loads of different types of waist packs that will carry bottles, or else you can get the camel backs. I normally just carry a donut style bottle as I find its the easiest option and doesn't splash about.
  • Loads of different options these days and the vests from UltrAspire and Ultimate Direction are moving things on again and giving runners the option to buy "rucksacks" specifically designed for runners so they have lots of little pouches and pockets for everything you need, especially for those running longer distances.

Some runners prefer to just run with a bottle and some love the waist belts, OMM do a couple of ones which are firm favourites despite having been round for a while.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

The "doughnut" hand-held bottles are good.  I forget I'm carrying mine.

For the longest runs and warmer weather I have a running belt with a couple of small bottles of water.  I've found it more comfortable and accessible to wear back-to-front, with the bottles and gel pack under my spare tyre image

Most often in the current weather, I come home with almost as much water as I left with - even after three hours running.  

• I have a couple of swiggies (http://www.swiggiesuk.com/) which I mainly use in races or faster runs. They are less annoying than carrying a bottle, but do hurt my wrist a bit if I use them every run.

For longer, slower runs I use one of these doughnit ones, and find it less annoying than I expected to.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Does anyone use a running spciic rucksack and then just chuck a bladder in?
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I just bought one of these. backpack

I reckon that's cracking value and it's made by Asics so it must be pretty good for running. I'll have it delivered by the end of the week then Sunday's my next big run.

Perfecto!