Carrying stuff (keys, phone etc)

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered recently - I couldn't see it if it has.  I haven't run much, and hardly at all since moving into my new flat.  I am looking to get back into running again, and it occurred to me that I don't know what I'd do with my stuff anymore. 

I used to stuff my phone and car key in my bra, but I have a huge cluster of keys (I wouldn't need to drive, as I could go straight from my house) and my phone is a bit bigger than the one 2/3 years ago! 

Has anyone got any good suggestions for carrying stuff (coat/jacket aside)?  I was looking at a bumbag type thing, but don't know how comfortable it would be.

Thanks! image

Comments

• Sports direct do a karrimor waist bag that's stretchy. About a fiver too.

Why take all of your keys though ? Can't you just get a copy made of the one you need to get in ?
  • I have a key safe (google 'key safe' for an idea of what I mean) on my side of the front garden wall. This means none of us has to worry about taking a key with us if we are not driving. Also means Jr. Schmunks can't lose one either image

Have you considered a sportsband/armband for your phone?
  • For most runs I just take one doorkey in the pocket of my shorts, but also use one of these when I want to carry phone etc and one of these which will carry a dog lead, waterbottle, gillet, gloves etc.  

Never had a problem with either being uncomfortable.

• Can't comment on the phone as I just don't take one out! But I've got similar to schmunkee.

Brilliant for if you forget your keys image

Mines coded so as long as your sober enough to remember (I've nearly came a cropper one Saturday night image) it's easy and safer than carrying keys
  • Ah!  Thanks everyone for responding!  Unfortunately I live in the middle of town so a key safe thing isn't ideal (though we're on the hunt for our own place, so will remember that for the future!), but like the look of the Nathan Belt thing. 

Thanks image

• I can vouch for an armband. Mine's all fabric so carries a smartphone without it being on show. Came from Nike a few years ago and can't see to find it online any more I'm afraid ...

• I didn't even think about cycling tops!

Thanks all - some great ideas here!

• I can't run in a cycling top as I find that the elasticated bottom continually rises up and I am forever tugging it down image
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    SRH7, if you can find any of the Run365 (JJB stock) that Sports Direct is selling off, the long-sleeved running tops have a zip pocket at the back. Or at least the ladies' tops do...
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I have a small Nike waist bag which will take a phone, keys, maybe a few other bits and pieces.  It doesn't irritate, is comfortable.

For longer runs I use a bottle belt which (in addition to the bottle holder) has a couple of pockets for other stuff.  That took more getting used to, with the weight of a full bottle, but I soon stopped noticing it.

I would think that things in the pockets of a cycling top would bounce, and keys would jingle - that would annoy me!

• i take an iphone, a couple of quid in change, a debit card (in case i get stuck for some reason) and my keys (unfortunately I need to take 3 keys to get through the miriad gates/doors to my flat). Still doesn't take up that much space, and I use a stretchy runners bumbag thing I bought for a tenner from runners need. doesn't rattle, and because it's carried on my hips I don't feel the weight when running.

• Sounds like you only need one key - so only take one key.  I've a massive bundle like you but I take one off and it goes on my running shorts using a keyring through the fabric (or zip pocket depending on shorts, in which case I may throw a fiver in there just in case).  Phone - just get an armband (I dont bother with a phone).  This way you can run "freer" than with a bag of some sort.

• I've just ordered a 'flipbelt' online.  It looks like a stretchy belt that should sit on the hips comfortably.  It had great reviews so hopefully will be okay.  Has to come from America though so could be a while till it arrives image 

• Armband for my phone, and tie my key into my laces.

• I either make sure I have shorts with pockets or use a little magnetic Roosport pouch that hangs over the waistband. The housekey itself is on a small carabiner so I can quickly detach it from the bigger bunch. Shorts with nice pockets are available from Patagonia, North Face, Montane for example.

Bonus: when the key is in a pocket I make sure there is also a metal tag on the same carabiner. It jangles slightly in the pocket and sounds a bit like a dog's collar. I could be imagining it, but when I'm coming up behind a pedestrian I think they get out of the way sharpish because they imagine a big St Bernard is coming up behind them, or somethingimage

• Just got a karimor belt with zip up pocket and 2 170ml water bottles! Weighs nothing, fits well and carrys ya juice...all for 7.99! Sport direct.com image
  • I got a Spibelt last summer, very stretchy, holds keys, phone, has loops for gels too. Can sit on hips or waist, bulge at front or back. I ran a half marathon with it and it never bothered me at all. Funky colours too, I went for black tho image
  • my phone is small , i carry it in my hand inside my glove, unless i have my jacket on, i think i'd worry without a phone , incase i had an accident or something , or  maybe its  a girl thing ? i just feel safer having some means of contact on me as i run on my own mostly 

my door key is one, my running top has a tiny side pocket in it, this is also handy for parkrun barcode 

i like the look of arm bad things people have  - this is my next purchase i think now i have nice clothing and good shoes and essential ladies running underwear 

• Hi. I have just started doing C25K and I have either been wearing 2x leggings or leggings plus jersey tracksuit bottoms which have a pocket. I either put my phone (which is playing the C25K app) in my trackie bottoms or I hold it in my hand as I run.

I see most running tights have a zip pocket for keys etc.