Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    With thoughts of the Paris cobbles on my feet I decided to try some real shoes yesterday - the new Mezuno Evo Levitas. Got to say I did like them but only did 5 miles. Will try them on tomorrow's 14 miles. Weird wearing socks.
  • RR - I had a big response typed up but wasn't helpful.  More a comentary on what is wrong with apple and cloud computing.image  Good luck solving your problem.  Am sure you new mini ipad looks lovely.image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RR - I'm a robot person rather than a fruity one! But I believe you just need to check the options on your phone to sync with icloud. Once you have done that set the same setting on the ipad to sync from icloud.
  • Thanks folks - I think I've worked out what the problem is (more or less what you've said there Eggy). Unfortunately I can't fix it until I can get my phone talking to my wifi again, which it's stopped doing since I installed iOS 6. Stuff it, I'm off to watch Borgen.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Fab afternoon at the new athletics stadium in Glasgow. Who would have guessed that watching lots of fit young men in lycra running, jumping and hurdling would be such fun... * There were lots of girlies, too..* Actually, seeing some real sprinting is pretty amazing. Fashionwise, gold/silver soles on yer trainers is the way to go...always supposing you lift your feet high enough for anyone to see the underside of the shoes..

The new velodrome is awesome and , by peering through the glass on the locked doors, I watched some cyclists doing that wall-of-death thing...

And a big thank you to DLR who let me give away his tickets..* He's snowed in and had to cancel a planned trip way up here. Or else he's just can't face the Eggy/ATM combo on a LSR..* The lucky recipients were thrilled, if slightly scared, at the random gift bestowed by a ,rather aged, fairy-godmother. And they say Yorkshiremen are....image

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just read back a bit to catch up. Very relieved on the congestion front. For some reason (probably as training's going okay, I've needed something to obsess about, and that's the fear of being heel clipped and trampled on within the first couple of miles.

Dannirr - loved the new RW cover. I'm looking at the official cover thinking, why the hell do I have a Ruud van Nistelroy (forgive the spelling) lookalike who looks like he's got girls legs and has never run a mile in his life?!? It's just wrong! I only get the magaziine just now as I wanted the Montane jacket freebie a couple of months ago.

Edit: for clarification, I do mean the 'new RW cover' as being the one in your post, and the RVN with women's legs as the official March cover that dropped through my letterbox!

Not been a great week for running. Lots of snow & ice, & unfortunately living in town and working in the day there's no option to get off road. I'm clumsy enough at the best of times without risking darkness and head torches. Yaktrax were out as too much of a mix, so went on the treadmill for hill reps and intervals, and then managed a grand total of 2.5 miles yesterday before bailing as there was thick ice beginning to melt. Today however, it's rained heavily overnight, the temperature's risen, and the pavements look ice free so the plan is 20 miles. Unfortunately I've only got company for 12 so we'll see how that pans out ...
  • DV - bit surprised to see my pad in One Hyde Park on that list...image

• well..  quite...  and a few of your summer houses too...

• Just had 16.7 miles in a very comfortable 9.20 mins per mile average. Used isotonic gels and they helped plus a nice stretch half way round. The main thing that made the run so good was having a friend with me every step of the way.
  • I just tried to like your post TJB, obviously spending far too much time on Faceache!!!image

Well done anyway, having a friend to run with must make some difference. If only on the friend and run front here!!!

Another 5 mile brisk walk with my best friend this morning. Very Very cold and wet but nice and peaceful.image

• Jimbob - you're a machine dude!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Great running TJB.

An enjoyable near 14 miles for me today with ATM, including a pit stop for coffee at Clydebank.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

17 and a half for me, the majority with Eggy for company. Couldn't face the final 6, even with the promise of  seeing Loch Lomond..We had hail, rain, sun and sleet.image As you say, TJB, these longer runs are more fun with company.

Fleecy tights are a good buy and it IS possible to run and eat jaffa cakes at the same time..

DV, we all live in a different world.Depends on your persepective.....image* In gutter but looking at the stars....*

• Hi guys,

I must say I'm looking forward to my A&E/ED placement but as the only placement we have this year where we're timetabled for weekends my heart sunk when I saw it was over Paris weekend! I'm relieved now that it's sorted (and planes booked!). 

Looks like some good running has been had by all. Did my long run on the treadmill yesterday (cut short once more- 13 miles on the plan but at mile 9 I had some plantar fasciitis type pain so switched to the cross trainer for 10 mins before doing another 4 miles on the treadmill). There's been a big thaw today though so I'm looking forward to getting back out on the road. (Although not looking forward to Sheffield's hills..)

RR- I've had problems with icloud too and my way of fixing it involved lots of changing various settings and turning off and on so I have no idea what it was that actually worked! 

DV- nice link, those places are just crazy..

• Eggy and ATM, wish I had been with you guys - 14 and promise of cake would be my idea of motivation image  

• Thank you ATM

DV it's not so easy to get British passport. One of the parent must have being legally living in the UK for at least 5 years before the baby is born in order for him to get one. I missed that 5y perod by 12 days and my application was rejected. But it's true that loads of people come to UK only for the benefits. My neighbour (Indian woman, 3kids) got 4bed house as single mother when in fact her husband was renting a flat nearby for himself and popping in from time to time. Very annoying.

Had a great run today. Still plenty of snow and verrrry cold. I was toying with the thought of buying yaktrax. Instead I put on my Vibrams. No socks on. It was cold but only for the first few minutes. They hold to the road beautifully: snow, icy road- didn't matter. But the last km was very hard. My legs were freezing as the sun set and the temperature dropped to -18C
  • Well I've got a lot of catch up reading to do image... finally managed to get internet sorted in the mountains - loving the scenery... it's cold and snowy and struggling to run on it but breathtaking once I get out there.  Have managed to find a kettlebell trainer and doing some cardio training once a week too and hoping that will keep me going until the ice melts a little - it's not great for training in but I suppose it's a learning curve and hopefully Paris will feel relatively flat compared to the trails here!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

wi - love it, another Vibram runner!

Had a good 14 miles today on a new route.  When the largest feature on the map is a huge lake, yet they call the suburb "Berkley HILLS" I guess I should have been forewarned.

Well, for the first time I have found a shoe that comes closest to my Vibrams. Lightweight, zero drop but better protection from the Paris cobbles. Paris was the only place I've had pain from the road surface - no other marathon or local run.  So far, so good - perhaps 3xweek vibrams and 2x week incl LSR with the Mizuno Evo Levitas?

/members/images/698298/Gallery/mizuno.jpg

Eggy - Mrs D informed me today she would rather stay in Montmarte than near the Arch.  I am leaning towarda agreeing.  How much hassle is it getting to and from the marathon?  And any suggestions of a place to stay - she's not fancy but she does want something "nice"!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - Very easy to get to the marathon start and finish from there. Direct Metro route. Only took about 15/20 minutes. Going in was not a problem. There was a bit of a queue after the finish, but nothing too bad. I stayed at an Ibid, which was functional rather than "nice". Great for me, but might not be what Mrs D is looking for.

Montmartre is also good for getting to the expo, as one of the stations just along from the Moulin Rouge is direct to there too.

Audrey - I'm sure we could fit in post run cake.
  • Dannirr - that's some fancy go-faster shoes you've got there image .

DV - I was playing the game of 'which house would you have?' until I got to the bottom of the page. It has to be Dracula's castle. That's the one I'll buy when I win the lottery. Of course, my chances of winning the lottery will be increased, although only fractionally, by actually buying a ticket.

Megs - that was more or less what I was doing in the end, but it seems OK now.

Suzy - sounds fab. What altitude are you at? Will that be helping with the training?

Work-based gallivanting this week means I have to fit in a 4 mile run first thing tomorrow morning. Which, after 11 yesterday and 15 today, I can't say I particularly feel like. And will feel even less like at 6am tomorrow.

Apart from running, it feels like my weekend has been filled with international foreign policy. Two hours of Borgen last night, followed by Argo this afternoon. Good film, although I guess it needs to be taken with a pince of salt on the accuracy front.
  • And idly googling 'cake' and 'Paris' led me to this rather wonderful site. It's actually Australian, so of more use to MM than me, but still worth a look.

http://www.thecakethatateparis.com.au/
  • Family Guy in Paris tonight! It's the Taken episode!
  • Mmmmmm....caaake....

I'll have to get married again quick smart - I'm actually flying out this Thursday to start my new job on the Isle of Man next Monday. Very very excited!

And I've been meaning to say a huge congratulations to Kaz. It sounds like this is a well-earned opportunity.

20km for me this morning. Slow but felt so much better than my 18km last weekend. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

Saw Hitchcock on Saturday - quite liked it.
  • Delighted that you are seizing this opportunity for a job change Mausey. Switching hemispheres is no mean feat. I admire your courage and wish you some great returns from the effort you've out in to this relocation.

Wi. Pleased that your semi barefoot running at -18C only led to your feet being a little bit cold. You are made of strong stuff missus! I think i would have died in such conditions or at least only have stumps left to prop up my body.

The big thaw has arrived in Belgium now but I still managed to fall off my bike on Friday and slip up on my driveway yesterday. Twingy groin is getting better so hope to do a bit more running this week, but gently does it. I don't want DV to lose any more sleep worrying about me!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all, another early riser with TD.... And not just because I heard cake being mentioned image

@Wi - very impressed with your barefoot running hardness! You're made of truly strong stuff!

@MM - good luck for the move and the new job image I hope everything works out well for you in the next weeks!

@RR - your week sounds like mine! Am currently on the train to Frankfurt for the day and then hopefully I'll be able to get some running in if I don't feel so absolutely knackered!
  • MM - Good luck with the move, and new job!! And thank u.image

RR/Emmy - Hope travels and work go well. Maybe you'll get some nice weather thrown in to!

sounds bloody awful out there today. X training this morning. All  ok just now,  but I won't be after my root canal treatment later on. At least I have now gotten a good dentist instead of the butcher I had before!!

• 13 miles completed Saturday morning in the snow and ice. Wasn't too bad. Trotted around in 2 hours 5 minutes.

15 miles this weekend. It will be the longest I've run.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

MM - Good luck with the move this week. Hopefully it's not too stressful.

James - Good going. It's good to start and build up those long runs.