Monday 28th January 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Well, my soul checked out missing as I sat listening

What:                 LSR
Why:                  Didn't do one yesterday
Last hard:          Thinking of a route that won't be flooded
Last rest:            25/1

Yesterday's lyrics were Deadlines and Commitments by The Killers.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning LMH.

What: hopefully 9km though calf is feeling stiff.  Think there'll be a clear route.
    Why: been trying to get one in for a few days!
    Last hard: admitting defeat yesterday
    Lyrics: Nope

Have a good one all.

• morning

no idea on lyrics

what: 45mins very easy
    why: pretty sore after the weekend (worst I've been in ages) so attempting active recovery

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Pammie - sounds like a good get together
    RFJ - hope the course proves useful
    decent training abounds on here over the weekend, and I can sense the collective sigh of relief as the weather starts to change...

Skipped yesterday's run, didnt get back from the West Country until half 7 and to be honest was too tired to do an easy recovery. Youngest competed in schools biathlon (year 7) semi-final. They limit it to 72 entries from the regional qualifiers, but reckon there was a 10-15% no show. Swim was reasonable enough, close to PB area, but was in 50m pool, so adjusted for the fact that all her training is in a 25m one, I was reasonably happy - her competitive edge said otherwise. Seeded in last (fastest) heat of the run. Could have gone either way as she likes front running, but we knew that there were 3 or 4 that bit quicker. Sets off too fast I thought, got boxed a little as the chasing group bunched a bit too close, but came away from the group over the last 120m or so to finish 5th in the heat, but slightly slower on her qualifying time.
    She was upset and convinced she'd not done enough, but kept trying to tell her there are swimmers that can't run, and runners that can't swim, its being consistent in both that matters. (scoring is done like heptathlon/decathlon with scoring tables ).
    Against her wishes we went to the presentation where final results displayed. Top 6 qualify by right for the final, as well as top 3 teams, then they make up the rest based on final scores from all 3 semi-finals.
    overall: 6th place, automatic qualification for Crystal Palace final, and a nice little trophy.
    I think I was more pleased than she was...

As for me - today will be easy run later after eldests GCSE related parents evening (or afternoon:it starts at 4...)
    why - skipped yesterdays run, club night tomorrow
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - saturday

Lyric - nope

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

So much for a run.  Got to the end of the path and went flying.  Now sporting a bloody knee filled with grit and salt (which I don't know how to clean as all I have is loo roll which is disintigrating into the wound) and a bruise spanning half way down my calf.  Grrr.  A very nice lady came out and tried to help me, and I think I spoke a load of rubbish to her.  German when in shock is quite hard!

Going to lick my wounds!

• Emzap! Ouch...clean and heal well. Saliva is a great antisepticimage
    Dustin,,,daughter deserves congrats on performance,,,,wonder where she gets such a competitive spirit??
    Lyrics...nope
    What: Something easy
    Why: Ran(properly) for 1st time in 8 months yesterday in Llanswirry 8, clocked 60m26secs so about 25 spm ahead of where I should have run based on training, Hopefully haven't upset anything and will still get all clear on 8th Feb from consultant!
    Last hard: I'd like to think yesterday but no, last Thursday's spin
    Last Rest: Last Friday
    Have a great day all

• What: probably nothing
    Why: LSR Saturday followed by XC Sunday
    but tied to hospital (on call) for much of next 2wimage
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Friday

((Emzap)) gentle scrubbing brush is probably only way (preferably with anaesthetic gel  EMLA)

Dustin - Great going for miniDustinimage

StrayCelt - good running

• Congrats to your daughter Dustin. She sounds like a very competitive one!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

ouch emz...not sure licking your wound is recommended? Can you reach?

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Good question Dustin....(does a quick check, not actually licking the wound) yes!  Well done to your daughter at the weekend.

Straycelt that's a great run.  Hope it continues to go well

Arm starting to hurt as well, I think I'm going to feel pretty beaten up tomorrow...

• Morning!

Struggled to get on internet earlier.

Decent effort from little one, Dustin: when is the CP event?

Oh dear, Emzap:  hope you feel OK tomorrow!

Well done Straycelt, and a good weekend's work OH.

What: a walk that included 15 minutes running
    Why: window of opportunity. Struggled rather, mainly as my ankles seemed very tight this morning. Did not feel like a runner today!

Lyrics: that's another no.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Huge congratulations to Miss Dustin - sounds as though the girl will go far - especially with such a supportive father.

Well raced SC - nice to be ahead of where you think you should be.

Not good emzap - hot bath, ibuprofen and disinfectant required from the sounds of it.

Diverted by flooding, managed to find some remaining patches of compacted snow/ice and ran into a strong headwind in places, not pretty, not fast but 21 miles in the bank.

• Ouch, emzap! Hope it heals quickly. I think I can relate pretty well to how painful this is... if my November tumble is anything to go by. It HURT image

Nice running, straycelt image

Dustin: your daughter did well. Sounds like one proud dad image

what: 5 miles easy
    why: recovery
    last hard: bits of yesterday's run
    last rest: 21/1
    lyrics: no

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

lyrics no again

dustin sounds like your daughter did really well!

emzap oh dear poor you, sorry to hear about that!

straycelt nice one

what: track later

why: monday and I am getting back into normal mode!

last hard: yesterdays 2 mile recovery didnt feel easy

last easy: friday.

have a good un all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Owwwww emzap yes i can relate too still remember the pain. Hope you are ok

Dustin Well done to your daughter. Great going  and best of luck for the final

What: 7.11 miles run walk (350/50m x 26 + 1.05km run home)
    Why: Building back up
    Last Hard: That  i suppose
    Lyrics no idea

• Good going LM.H

Wet and miserable here now - will be glad to stay in this evening

• Great runs from lmh, celt, dusinjnr, But emzap, that has to take the prize of shortest run of the weekend!  Sounds painful, hope it heals without having one of those restrictive scabs that you sometimes get.

What? 5 miles in the rainy and easy running

Why? Well, why not?

Lyrics...  Did you just make them up?

• Well done to Dustin's daughter. And well done to anyone who got out this weekend to be honest, this weather is bumming me out.

6M recovery today after Chernobyl 10k yesterday (40.54, tough conditions and hard-ish course, but felt I could have done better). Training hard for Cambridge Half as of now.

Lyrics: nope.

• I did not make them up RW! Birkmyre would get them in an instant and you'll kick yourself tomorrow.

OH - I agree totally, glad to be ensconced for the evening.

Have just booked my train tickets for VLM! Just need to sort the fundraising page, finish the training and stay sound - sorted.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

emzap - sounds painful.  Just jump in the bath!

Just an easy 3 mile xc run today after yesterdays long run.  Rainy, windy and dark running for any longer was not an appealing prospect!

Lyrics - naw!

• Evening all, will read back in a moment.

Lyrics: no

What: hash run with Stickless

Why: apparently that is what you do on Monday in Cambridge

Last hard: figuring out what was flour and what were manky hankiesimage

Last rest: too much...

Stickless has an important announcement to make about our future...
  • Nice one from your daughter, Dustin!

Emzap, ouch!!

Straycelt, sounds good to come back strong.
  • Hi Tinebeest! Have been wondering what you, and Stickless, have been up to!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening all,

Dustin - congrats to Miss Dustin - very nicely done.

Emzap - Ouch!  Get it clean.  Not nice when they go septic.

As Tinebeest says, we went round with the hash this evening, so about 5 miles, slightly faster than I really wanted to, and got left behind anyway.  We then had a highly entertaining time finding our way.  But find our way we did.

Which bodes well.  Our news is that we have signed up as partners in the Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon.  We will need to get good at finding well hidden controls in the rain.

You can scarcely guess at the difference that makes.  My lovely partner from last year will be running with her partner, and for a while, partner-less I was contemplating life without a mountain marathon on the calendar. If without a mountain marathon, then without a purpose to training beyond evading the grim reaper and the apalling company he keeps.  At a stroke, well, an on-line registration and payment of entrance fee, I am a runner again, something which my struggle during the past term had led me to doubt.  I am no fitter than I was yesterday, no wiser, no less crocked, but from now, at least through July, I am a runner.  In training. 

It makes all the difference!  

Go well all.

• Good to see you, Stickless,  and good news! Training with a purpose does, indeed, make a difference! At the moment mine is just keeping that grim reaper at bay!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

lovely lovely, stickless you make me smile I am happy to read that post

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Welcome back Stickless.

Yesterday evening I took a bottle of refuelling liquid after swimming (and tea), and feeling much more enthused decided to investigate the clonks that had been coming from my bike's bottom bracket. After a reasonable degree of dismantling, I concluded that the bottom bracket was in perfect condition, but that the rear wheel bearings were a disaster. So that was attacked, dismantled, degreased, regreased, reassembled.

This evening I obviously had to test it out. Only 10 hard miles on the torture machine, and I'd like to say it was perfect. However, it wasn't. Improved, yes, perfect, no. Quite simply, it's not good enough, and I'm disappointed in the distinctly average quality build that I found.

Cycling is absolutely fantastic when all that finely engineered equipment is humming away in a pack of riders. It's unappealing when you are flogging away up some steep incline and your bike is clunking just as loudly as your knees.

Estimated repair costs at this point do vary:
    A) £5
    B) £200
    C) £205
    A, is a set of ball bearings. B is a new wheel set, C is both, so I keep the existing one for the trainer!

In happier news, I've ordered a new pair of running shoes.